Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Melon score

Finally, a couple of good melons. Stopped at a local fruit stand and they
had the long watermelons with seeds. Far better tasting than the seedless
crap foisted off on the public today. I've not found one here for a few
years until spotting these.

As a bonus, they had some big cantaloupes from New Jersey. Juicy and full
of flavor and only $2.50. I miss NJ produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:53:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Finally, a couple of good melons. Stopped at a local fruit stand and they
> had the long watermelons with seeds. Far better tasting than the seedless
> crap foisted off on the public today. I've not found one here for a few
> years until spotting these.
>
> As a bonus, they had some big cantaloupes from New Jersey. Juicy and full
> of flavor and only $2.50. I miss NJ produce.

Yes, yes, yes on the seeded melons. The last one I bought here was a
sangria. It weighed about 20 lbs and cost $2 at the produce stand.

They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up their
ass.
(for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

OTOH, there seems to be a real cantaloupe shortage here for some reason.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 12:32*pm, TFM® > wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:53:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks to you both for confirming my suspicion. My office enjoys
having watermelon for snacks, and only one out of four of the seedless
ones I've bought are worth anything more than giving us a way to
hydrate. I'm off to the store for a big fat one with seeds right now!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:32:56 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:

> Yes, yes, yes on the seeded melons. The last one I bought here was a
> sangria. It weighed about 20 lbs and cost $2 at the produce stand.
>
> They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up their
> ass.
> (for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

I prefer the little seedless ones. No waste. I'd be throwing away
most of the big one, so the little one is just fine and the price
doesn't break the bank. I like the way they taste and I love that
they don't have seeds (well, few enough).

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> On Aug 14, 12:32 pm, TFM® > wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:53:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Thanks to you both for confirming my suspicion. My office enjoys
> having watermelon for snacks, and only one out of four of the seedless
> ones I've bought are worth anything more than giving us a way to
> hydrate. I'm off to the store for a big fat one with seeds right now!
> ...Picky

This summer we've only been buying locally grown, organic melons from
our market (www.augusta.locallygrown.net). Each and every one of them
has been PERFECT!! Something we've not experienced in decades.
We've also been able to try different varieties than just the unknown
ones the stores sell. Its been a wonderful year for melons and
cantaloupes here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:32:56 -0400, TFM® >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, yes, yes on the seeded melons. The last one I bought here was a
>> sangria. It weighed about 20 lbs and cost $2 at the produce stand.
>>
>> They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up
>> their ass.
>> (for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

> I prefer the little seedless ones. No waste. I'd be throwing away
> most of the big one, so the little one is just fine and the price
> doesn't break the bank. I like the way they taste and I love that
> they don't have seeds (well, few enough).

It figures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:54:45 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:32:56 -0400, TFM® >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, yes, yes on the seeded melons. The last one I bought here was a
>> sangria. It weighed about 20 lbs and cost $2 at the produce stand.
>>
>> They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up their
>> ass.
>> (for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

> I prefer the little seedless ones. No waste. I'd be throwing away
> most of the big one, so the little one is just fine and the price
> doesn't break the bank. I like the way they taste and I love that
> they don't have seeds (well, few enough).

I'm not a mathematician, but if I can buy a melon for $2 that is
1) twice the size of a $4 seedless melon
2) Maybe 3 times the flavor of the seedless melon

I'm just giving it a shot in the dark, but I think I could throw 75% of the
good melon away and still have the same final cost of eating all of the
seedless melon. (per pound, that is)

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2011 2:27 PM, Goomba wrote:

> This summer we've only been buying locally grown, organic melons from
> our market (www.augusta.locallygrown.net). Each and every one of them
> has been PERFECT!! Something we've not experienced in decades.
> We've also been able to try different varieties than just the unknown
> ones the stores sell. Its been a wonderful year for melons and
> cantaloupes here.

Cantaloupes from Rocky Ford (SE Colorado, very hot and dry) have just
started appearing on the market recently. For some reason they are
not pretty like the Arizona crop, they look dented and even scabby,
but they are really flavorful and sweet.

The weather has been good for some crops, bad for others. Olathe corn
has been very good, but Sakata Farm near Boulder had a very small crop
due to heavy rains in June. Western Slope CO peaches are smallish and
still hard and unripe, in mid August. We had great rain early, and
lots of heat with no rain recently. Mother Nature is off balance.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:50:59 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:
-snip-

>I'm not a mathematician, but if I can buy a melon for $2 that is
>1) twice the size of a $4 seedless melon
>2) Maybe 3 times the flavor of the seedless melon
>
>I'm just giving it a shot in the dark, but I think I could throw 75% of the
>good melon away and still have the same final cost of eating all of the
>seedless melon. (per pound, that is)

You don't even have to throw it away. It keeps pretty good as
watermelon liqueur.<g>

Now if I could just find a decent seeded watermelon. So far I've
been doing pretty good with the seedless ones-- but NJ melons should
be showing up pretty soon and they are good.

Right now our seedless run around $6 & about 1/2 the time I can find
one in the bin worth buying. The seeded ones are by the pound &
I haven't even been tempted by their pale, dried out sorry hulks.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:54:45 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:32:56 -0400, TFM® >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, yes, yes on the seeded melons. The last one I bought here was a
> >> sangria. It weighed about 20 lbs and cost $2 at the produce stand.
> >>
> >> They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up their
> >> ass.
> >> (for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

> > I prefer the little seedless ones. No waste. I'd be throwing away
> > most of the big one, so the little one is just fine and the price
> > doesn't break the bank. I like the way they taste and I love that
> > they don't have seeds (well, few enough).

> I'm not a mathematician, but if I can buy a melon for $2 that is
> 1) twice the size of a $4 seedless melon
> 2) Maybe 3 times the flavor of the seedless melon
>
> I'm just giving it a shot in the dark, but I think I could throw 75% of the
> good melon away and still have the same final cost of eating all of the
> seedless melon. (per pound, that is)

There ya go. I can buy a little one and not have to throw anything
away.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 11:53*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> Finally, a couple of good melons. *Stopped at a local fruit stand and they
> had the long watermelons with seeds. *Far better tasting than the seedless
> crap foisted off on the public today. * I've not found one here for a few
> years until spotting these.
>
> As a bonus, they had some big cantaloupes from New Jersey. *Juicy and full
> of flavor and only $2.50. *I miss NJ produce.

I've maintained this for years about the difference in seedless vs
seeds in watermelons. I go to one of the hispanic markets and ask the
produce guy to get a sweet one for me.

Harriet & critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:00:12 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 11:53*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> Finally, a couple of good melons. *Stopped at a local fruit stand and they
>> had the long watermelons with seeds. *Far better tasting than the seedless
>> crap foisted off on the public today. * I've not found one here for a few
>> years until spotting these.
>>
>> As a bonus, they had some big cantaloupes from New Jersey. *Juicy and full
>> of flavor and only $2.50. *I miss NJ produce.

>I've maintained this for years about the difference in seedless vs
>seeds in watermelons. I go to one of the hispanic markets and ask the
>produce guy to get a sweet one for me.

I should do that, ask for a sweet senorita with big melons... Muchas
Gracias.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:02:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:32:56 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>
>> They can stick those half size, seedless, flavorless $4 melons up their
>> ass.
>> (for reference, a seeded melon at the grocery store goes for $6.99)

> The seedless melons I've been getting have tasted just like their
> seeded counterparts.
>
> -sw

Consider yourself lucky then. Perhaps unlucky if the seeded versions are
as bland as our local seedless.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:45:35 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:00:12 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> > wrote:
>
>>On Aug 14, 11:53*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>>> Finally, a couple of good melons. *Stopped at a local fruit stand and they
>>> had the long watermelons with seeds. *Far better tasting than the seedless
>>> crap foisted off on the public today. * I've not found one here for a few
>>> years until spotting these.
>>>
>>> As a bonus, they had some big cantaloupes from New Jersey. *Juicy and full
>>> of flavor and only $2.50. *I miss NJ produce.

>>I've maintained this for years about the difference in seedless vs
>>seeds in watermelons. I go to one of the hispanic markets and ask the
>>produce guy to get a sweet one for me.

> I should do that, ask for a sweet senorita with big melons... Muchas
> Gracias.

Or as they're knownn around here, a Brown Breasted Mattress Thrasher.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

difference in veiwpoint, he was considering taste and cost, you on the other
hand are considering taste and waste, you feel spending more per pound is
not worht throwing any away, now for me, i could care less which dh xomes
home with if it tastes good, if its huge we make stuff out of it, freeze so
no waste, thus no waste and less money spent, but then i consider almost
every penny i spend, and guess i always will no matter the income, Lee

Its melon season! T[_8_] Diabetic 0 24-09-2015 12:37 AM
The score at the store is not always a score Dimitri General Cooking 3 10-12-2011 07:38 PM
Bitter Melon how to? Steve Pope General Cooking 12 24-04-2009 05:46 AM
Melon Melody Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 08-07-2005 04:23 AM
Filled Melon cmo Recipes 0 03-01-2005 08:52 AM