Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hard boiled eggs

Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:31:43 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

Whole or smashed? I've never done it and have never even thought
about doing it, but I don't see why you couldn't. Why are you
considering it and what do you plan to do with them after they are
thawed?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

I don't think they can. They would get watery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 6:35 AM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>

>> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>>> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

> A silly question with a silly answer!
>
> It doesn't take but a few minutes to hard boil eggs.

Twenty minutes is hardly a "few" and you'll need even more time if you
want the eggs quite cold. You can buy pre-boiled eggs in supermarkets. I
think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even if the shell has
been treated with some sort of resin.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

>> A silly question with a silly answer!
>>
>> It doesn't take but a few minutes to hard boil eggs.
>>

> Twenty minutes is hardly a "few" and you'll need even more time if you
> want the eggs quite cold. You can buy pre-boiled eggs in supermarkets. I
> think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even if the shell has been
> treated with some sort of resin.

But the thaw time is probably longer than the cook time if only time is a
consideration.

Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.
Short term, on work days if I want a hard boiled egg for breakfast, I make
them the nigh before. They will be at room temperature and 15 seconds in
the MW warms them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 8:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> A silly question with a silly answer!
>>>
>>> It doesn't take but a few minutes to hard boil eggs.
>>>

>> Twenty minutes is hardly a "few" and you'll need even more time if you
>> want the eggs quite cold. You can buy pre-boiled eggs in supermarkets.
>> I think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even if the shell has
>> been treated with some sort of resin.
>>

> But the thaw time is probably longer than the cook time if only time is
> a consideration.
>
> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.
> Short term, on work days if I want a hard boiled egg for breakfast, I
> make them the nigh before. They will be at room temperature and 15
> seconds in the MW warms them.

I would emphasize that store-bought hard-boiled eggs are refrigerated
but not frozen. They are really quite an extravagance but sometimes useful.
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

>Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

I've never froze hard cooked eggs in shell or shelled and see no good
reason why to try it... but it sure wouldn't cost much for you to give
it a shot and report back. But I know how to store hard cooked
shelled eggs at room temperature for months, even years, pickle them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 8:31*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

By the time you wait to get all the replies, you could have hard
boiled one, put it in the fridge to freeze and then taken it out to
find out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

>> A silly question with a silly answer!
>>
>> It doesn't take but a few minutes to hard boil eggs.
>>

> Twenty minutes is hardly a "few" and you'll need even more time if you
> want the eggs quite cold. You can buy pre-boiled eggs in
> supermarkets. I think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even
> if the shell has been treated with some sort of resin.

+1. TJ's has. My wife likes them as a healthy snack at work.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote
>> You can buy pre-boiled eggs in
>> supermarkets. I think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even
>> if the shell has been treated with some sort of resin.

> +1. TJ's has. My wife likes them as a healthy snack at work.
>
> -S-

I take them to work once in a while too, but I make them for about 8¢ each
at home. How much do they cost in the store?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 9:20*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>
> >> *You can buy pre-boiled eggs in
> >> supermarkets. I think they are safe enough and don't taste bad even
> >> if the shell has been treated with some sort of resin.

> > +1. *TJ's has. *My wife likes them as a healthy snack at work.

> > -S-

> I take them to work once in a while too, but I make them for about 8¢ each
> at home. *How much do they cost in the store?

I pay about $2/dozen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Aug 12, 8:31 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

By the time you wait to get all the replies, you could have hard
boiled one, put it in the fridge to freeze and then taken it out to
find out.

and/or done a search and found a pretty consistent line of thinking:

"Hard-cooked whole eggs and whites become tough and watery when frozen, so
don't freeze them."

Of course, I wonder if they might not be too bad if chopped small before
freezing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 11:25 AM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> I take them to work once in a while too, but I make them for about 8¢ each
>> > at home. How much do they cost in the store?

> I pay about $2/dozen.

Eggs are cheap here. The other day they were $1.60 per carton of 18...
X-Large.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

Nope. The white gets tough. Not recommended.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "gloria.p" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> > Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

Apt description!

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:46:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.

I'm sure she didn't make 3 dozen when she only needed two. Hard
boiled eggs keep a long time in the refrigerator, no freezing
required.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 2:29 AM, Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.

That's too bad. :-(

I asked because the last three times I tried to make deviled eggs,
peeling the shells took out large amounts of the whites also, so I had
to make them into an egg salad spread instead. (Yes, I followed the
directions about cooking, shocking in cold water, etc.)

The last time I was in Costco the woman in from of me in the checkout
line had two packages (18 or 24 eggs in each, can't remember) of
well-wrapped hard cooked eggs. I asked her how they were and she said
terrific. Her husband takes them in his lunch and her young son eats
them as is for snacks, the first time he has ever willingly eaten eggs.

I know we wouldn't go through them quickly enough to avoid spoilage
unless I was taking them to a potluck or having a party, so I thought
about freezing and had no idea how it would work.

Thanks for the replies.
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:36:06 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 8/13/2011 2:29 AM, Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>>> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.
>>

>That's too bad. :-(
>
>I asked because the last three times I tried to make deviled eggs,
>peeling the shells took out large amounts of the whites also, so I had
>to make them into an egg salad spread instead. (Yes, I followed the
>directions about cooking, shocking in cold water, etc.)
>
>The last time I was in Costco the woman in from of me in the checkout
>line had two packages (18 or 24 eggs in each, can't remember) of
>well-wrapped hard cooked eggs. I asked her how they were and she said
>terrific. Her husband takes them in his lunch and her young son eats
>them as is for snacks, the first time he has ever willingly eaten eggs.
>
>I know we wouldn't go through them quickly enough to avoid spoilage
>unless I was taking them to a potluck or having a party, so I thought
>about freezing and had no idea how it would work.
>
>Thanks for the replies.
>gloria p

Older eggs peel easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:53:10 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:36:06 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:

>>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.
>>>

>>That's too bad. :-(
>>
>>I asked because the last three times I tried to make deviled eggs,
>>peeling the shells took out large amounts of the whites also, so I had
>>to make them into an egg salad spread instead. (Yes, I followed the
>>directions about cooking, shocking in cold water, etc.)
>>
>>The last time I was in Costco the woman in from of me in the checkout
>>line had two packages (18 or 24 eggs in each, can't remember) of
>>well-wrapped hard cooked eggs. I asked her how they were and she said
>>terrific. Her husband takes them in his lunch and her young son eats
>>them as is for snacks, the first time he has ever willingly eaten eggs.
>>
>>I know we wouldn't go through them quickly enough to avoid spoilage
>>unless I was taking them to a potluck or having a party, so I thought
>>about freezing and had no idea how it would work.
>>
>>Thanks for the replies.
>>gloria p

> Older eggs peel easier.

What he said.
I keep raw eggs for a week minimum before I boil them.

Sqwertz once said that raw eggs keep longer in the fridge than cooked ones.
I don't know if this is true, but my fridge is 39 degrees on the top shelf
and I keep raw eggs for a month with no problem.

I can't keep boiled eggs in there for long, they keep jumping down my
throat.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 3:01 PM, TFM® wrote:

but my fridge is 39 degrees on the top shelf
> and I keep raw eggs for a month with no problem.
>
> I can't keep boiled eggs in there for long, they keep jumping down my
> throat.

Yep, that's exactly why I don't want to have too many in the fridge.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 11:31*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

Why do you want to freeze hard cooked eggs? Is this to save energy or
sumthin?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 8/13/2011 2:29 AM, Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>>> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

>> Yep. You can sell the whites to Goodyear.
>>

>That's too bad. :-(
>
>I asked because the last three times I tried to make deviled eggs,
>peeling the shells took out large amounts of the whites also, so I had
>to make them into an egg salad spread instead. (Yes, I followed the
>directions about cooking, shocking in cold water, etc.)

snippage

>Thanks for the replies.
>gloria p

Gloria,
This has never failed me.
Just steam those cackle berries in a vegetable steamer. Works every
time.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...aranteed-.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/3fpkqw9

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2011 3:28 PM, wrote:

> Gloria,
> This has never failed me.
> Just steam those cackle berries in a vegetable steamer. Works every
> time.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...aranteed-.html

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/3fpkqw9

Thanks. Barb told me the same thing. I'll try it next time.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:06:30 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:46:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.

>I'm sure she didn't make 3 dozen when she only needed two. Hard
>boiled eggs keep a long time in the refrigerator, no freezing
>required.

I guess that depends on your definition of "a long time".
The U.S. Department of Agriculture, the American Egg Board, the
Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education and other egg
know-it-alls give you a week to use up your hard-boiled eggs
(providing you got them into the refrigerator within two hours of
cooking).

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 09:58:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:06:30 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:46:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.

> >I'm sure she didn't make 3 dozen when she only needed two. Hard
> >boiled eggs keep a long time in the refrigerator, no freezing
> >required.

> I guess that depends on your definition of "a long time".
> The U.S. Department of Agriculture, the American Egg Board, the
> Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education and other egg
> know-it-alls give you a week to use up your hard-boiled eggs
> (providing you got them into the refrigerator within two hours of
> cooking).

My definition of a long time is definitely more than 7 days.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 09:58:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:06:30 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:46:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.

>>I'm sure she didn't make 3 dozen when she only needed two. Hard
>>boiled eggs keep a long time in the refrigerator, no freezing
>>required.

>I guess that depends on your definition of "a long time".
>The U.S. Department of Agriculture, the American Egg Board, the
>Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education and other egg
>know-it-alls give you a week to use up your hard-boiled eggs
>(providing you got them into the refrigerator within two hours of
>cooking).

And that they're still in their undamaged shell, hard cooked eggs
shelled store in the fridge safely for 3 days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have no idea, but i know in the shell they are good for quite a while, Lee
"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

what i am wondering if if one could vac seal them increasing the shelf life
without freezing them, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> gloria.p wrote:
>> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
>> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

> I don't think they can. They would get watery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 09:58:08 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:06:30 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:46:21 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps the OP made too many and wants to put them away for later use.

>>I'm sure she didn't make 3 dozen when she only needed two. Hard
>>boiled eggs keep a long time in the refrigerator, no freezing
>>required.

>I guess that depends on your definition of "a long time".
>The U.S. Department of Agriculture, the American Egg Board, the
>Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education and other egg
>know-it-alls give you a week to use up your hard-boiled eggs
>(providing you got them into the refrigerator within two hours of
>cooking).

I give them a month and have never noticed any difference.

Has anyone ever seen the reasoning behind cooked eggs supposedly
becoming unfit to eat faster then raw ones?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:16:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen the reasoning behind cooked eggs supposedly
> becoming unfit to eat faster then raw ones?

Probably due to the air pocket that forms when eggs are hard boiled.
But as far as lasting only a few days under refrigeration? That's
overly cautious.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:16:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >

>> Has anyone ever seen the reasoning behind cooked eggs supposedly
>> becoming unfit to eat faster then raw ones?

>Probably due to the air pocket that forms when eggs are hard boiled.
>But as far as lasting only a few days under refrigeration? That's
>overly cautious.

Raw eggs keep (after a fashion) for months under refrigeration,
hard boiled eggs only a couple weeks. They actually start to taste
kind of random after only a week.

It is possible the raw eggs contain "chemical defense" factors that act as
preservatives, antioxidants, or have antimicrobial properties; and these
factors are denatured when you boil the egg. That's my theory
anyway.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> Can hard boiled eggs out of the shell be frozen successfully?
> Does anyone have actual experience doing this?
>
> gloria p

Q. What is shelf life of a hard-boiled egg?

A. Uncooked eggs can be satisfactorily stored in the shell for four to five
weeks after they are packaged (so generally at least three weeks after you
get them home from the store.) Hard-boiled eggs, however, should be consumed
within a week. Why the difference?

Egg shells are porous. The hen makes up for this by adding a natural
coating, but the government insists that eggs be washed and sanitized before
being sold, which washes away the coating. The egg processor sprays on a
thin coating of an odorless natural mineral oil to reseal the egg. But your
cooking washes this coating away, as well, leaving a drafty shell once more,
which is susceptible to the invasion of odors, off-flavors, and bacteria.

Hence the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the American Egg Board, and other
egg know-it-alls give you a week to use up your hard-boiled eggs (providing
you got them into the refrigerator within two hours of cooking).

http://www.ochef.com/1009.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico > wrote:

[ http://www.ochef.com/1009.htm ]

>Egg shells are porous. The hen makes up for this by adding a natural
>coating, but the government insists that eggs be washed and sanitized before
>being sold, which washes away the coating. The egg processor sprays on a
>thin coating of an odorless natural mineral oil to reseal the egg. But your
>cooking washes this coating away, as well, leaving a drafty shell once more,
>which is susceptible to the invasion of odors, off-flavors, and bacteria.

Thanks.

Tangentially I highly doubt the farm eggs I buy at the farmers market
have been sprayed with mineral oil. They are just eggs directly from
hens.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't found that to be the case. I never keep hard-boiled eggs longer than 3 days in the fridge, but raw eggs last 6-8 weeks or more.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you regularly hard-boil bunches of eggs, and don't want to think about how fresh they are (peelability), get yourself an egg cooker - you will never regret it and you can hard-cook an egg straight from the henhouse that peels slicker than you would believe, no matter how fresh it is.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:02:54 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>If you regularly hard-boil bunches of eggs, and don't want to think about how fresh they are (peelability), get yourself an egg cooker - you will never regret it and you can hard-cook an egg straight from the henhouse that peels slicker than you would believe, no matter how fresh it is.
>
>N.

I don't mind having to scroll over to see your unwrapped post.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:00:58 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I haven't found that to be the case. I never keep hard-boiled eggs longer than 3 days in the fridge, but raw eggs last 6-8 weeks or more.

Well, hard boiled eggs (in the shell) can last at least a week and up
to two weeks for me. Raw don't get the chance to last longer because
12-18 are always used up by then.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.