Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hard boiled eggs

I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
them boil away for ever.

So how do you do it?

After googling I found an interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> them boil away for ever.
>
> So how do you do it?
>
> After googling I found an interesting video.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Do it gently, Put eggs in the water, bring to a boil, turn off heat let
stand 10+ minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 6:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message

> >I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> > them boil away for ever.

> > So how do you do it?

> > After googling I found an interesting video.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

> Do it gently, *Put eggs in the water, bring to a boil, turn off heat let
> stand 10+ minutes.

After the 10 minutes, chill them rapidly by soaking them in either ice
water or cold tap water until they are cool. That makes them easier
to peel.

maixne in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 6:45*pm, maxine > wrote:
> On Mar 14, 6:35*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > "James" > wrote in message

> > >I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> > > them boil away for ever.

> > > So how do you do it?

> > > After googling I found an interesting video.

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

> > Do it gently, *Put eggs in the water, bring to a boil, turn off heat let
> > stand 10+ minutes.

> After the 10 minutes, chill them rapidly by soaking them in either ice
> water or cold tap water until they are cool. *That makes them easier
> to peel.

Using older eggs also makes them easy to peel.

Freshest eggs for sunny side up, and oldest eggs for boiled.

> maixne in ri

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:51:01 -0700 (PDT), James
> wrote:

>I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
>them boil away for ever.
>
>So how do you do it?
>
>After googling I found an interesting video.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

First, don't boil them. Steam them. Steaming eggs makes even freshly
laid eggs easy to peel.

Peeling Hard Cooked Fresh Eggs

Steam them.
Put an inch or two of water in a pot.
Place eggs in a suitable container like a colander and put it in the
pot. Do not let the water touch the eggs.
Cover the pot.
Bring the water to a boil.
Continue boiling for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and time for another 10 minutes.
Fill the pot with cold water.
Take the eggs one by one and crack all over with the back of a spoon
then toss them back in the cold water.
Start peeling once all the eggs are cracked and the shells will slip
off easily.

Ross

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> them boil away for ever.
>
> So how do you do it?
>
> After googling I found an interesting video.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

I do not agree with starting with the eggs in cool water. The time to come
to a boil will vary by the starting temp, stove type, etc. I set the egg
out of the fridge to start warming up. I bring the water to a soft boil,
add the eggs, set the timer for 20 minutes. When the water comes back to a
simmer, turn the heat down to maintain that simmer for the remainder of the
time. My altitude is 5280, and 20 minutes works perfect for me. The egg
are done, but not overcooked. At sea level, you would probably use less
time. I do give them a few stirs in the first few minutes. The theory is
that by stirring, you will center the yolk. I do not know if there is any
truth to that, but I stir either way.

Later,

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dale wrote on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:21:15 -0600:

> "James" > wrote in message
>> I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
>> them boil away for ever.
>>
>> So how do you do it?
>>
>> After googling I found an interesting video.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

> I do not agree with starting with the eggs in cool water. The
> time to come to a boil will vary by the starting temp, stove
> type, etc. I set the egg out of the fridge to start warming
> up. I bring the water to a soft boil, add the eggs, set the
> timer for 20 minutes. When the water comes back to a simmer, turn the
> heat down to maintain that simmer for the remainder
> of the time. My altitude is 5280, and 20 minutes works
> perfect for me. The egg are done, but not overcooked. At sea
> level, you would probably use less time. I do give them a few
> stirs in the first few minutes. The theory is that by
> stirring, you will center the yolk. I do not know if there is
> any truth to that, but I stir either way.

Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg? Like a lot of
cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr precise definitions.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 7:27*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Dale *wrote *on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:21:15 -0600:
>

> > "James" > wrote in message
> >> I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> >> them boil away for ever.

> >> So how do you do it?

> >> After googling I found an interesting video.

> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

> > I do not agree with starting with the eggs in cool water. *The
> > time to come to a boil will vary by the starting temp, stove
> > type, etc. *I set the egg out of the fridge to start warming
> > up. *I bring the water to a soft boil, add the eggs, set the
> > timer for 20 minutes. *When the water comes back to a simmer, turn the
> > heat down to maintain that simmer for the remainder
> > of the time. *My altitude is 5280, and 20 minutes works
> > perfect for me. *The egg are done, but not overcooked. *At sea
> > level, you would probably use less time. *I do give them a few
> > stirs in the first few minutes. *The theory is that by
> > stirring, you will center the yolk. *I do not know if there is
> > any truth to that, but I stir either way.

> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg? Like a lot of
> cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr precise definitions.

Oh yes, there is an overcooked hard cooked egg. Boiling them (at sea
level) for the full time will overcook them. THe whites will be
rubbery and the yolks green.

I like my yolks just this side of cooked through, and the whites a
creamy consistency.

Someone on a mailing list just tried them with 1 tsp of oil added to
the pot, and said that they peeled easily, even tho her's were only a
week out of the neighbor's hen.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 6:27*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Dale *wrote *on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:21:15 -0600:
>

> > "James" > wrote in message
> >> I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> >> them boil away for ever.

> >> So how do you do it?

> >> After googling I found an interesting video.

> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

> > I do not agree with starting with the eggs in cool water. *The
> > time to come to a boil will vary by the starting temp, stove
> > type, etc. *I set the egg out of the fridge to start warming
> > up. *I bring the water to a soft boil, add the eggs, set the
> > timer for 20 minutes. *When the water comes back to a simmer, turn the
> > heat down to maintain that simmer for the remainder
> > of the time. *My altitude is 5280, and 20 minutes works
> > perfect for me. *The egg are done, but not overcooked. *At sea
> > level, you would probably use less time. *I do give them a few
> > stirs in the first few minutes. *The theory is that by
> > stirring, you will center the yolk. *I do not know if there is
> > any truth to that, but I stir either way.

> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg? Like a lot of
> cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr precise definitions.

I agree. Hard boiled is hard boiled. There is, however, this elusive
point where 100% of the white is hard, but the yolk is not yet set.
That is soft boiled, and since I always err to the side of 100% cooked
white, I'm usually unsuccessful.

> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:27:54 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg? Like a lot of
>cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr precise definitions.

Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:50:48 -0700:

>> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg?
>> Like a lot of cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr
>> precise definitions.

> Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a
method that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like
them.

Eggs in pot
Cover with cold water
Heat to rolling boil
Turn off heat
Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> sf wrote on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:50:48 -0700:
>
>>> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg?
>>> Like a lot of cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr
>>> precise definitions.

>> Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

> To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a method
> that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like them.
>
> Eggs in pot
> Cover with cold water
> Heat to rolling boil
> Turn off heat
> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

Eggsackly what I do. Perfect eggs every time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> sf wrote on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:50:48 -0700:
>
>>> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg?
>>> Like a lot of cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr
>>> precise definitions.

>> Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

> To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a method
> that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like them.
>
> Eggs in pot
> Cover with cold water
> Heat to rolling boil
> Turn off heat
> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

Perfect. But then I give them 5 minutes in iced water to make them easier to
peel.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice > wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>> Eggs in pot
>> Cover with cold water
>> Heat to rolling boil
>> Turn off heat
>> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

>Perfect. But then I give them 5 minutes in iced water to make them easier to
>peel.

I note that if you're not at sea level, it may be necessary
to keep them on simmer instead of turning off the heat entirely.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 2:51*pm, James > wrote:
> I friend whines that my hard boiled eggs looks green because I let
> them boil away for ever.
>
> So how do you do it?
>
> After googling I found an interesting video.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

I put the eggs in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, boil
for 10-15 minutes, pour off the hot water, fill the pan with cold
water and set in the fridge for maybe 30 minutes or so. Perfect
everytime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:02:59 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>Perfect. But then I give them 5 minutes in iced water to make them easier to
>peel.

MAY make them easier to peel...but just like blanching green beans,
the ice bath is JUST to stop cooking and that prevents the green
tinge.

After draining HOT eggs, put back in pan and bounce around to crack
shells. Then into the ice stop bath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
>> To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a method
>> that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like them.
>>
>> Eggs in pot
>> Cover with cold water
>> Heat to rolling boil
>> Turn off heat
>> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

> Eggsackly what I do. Perfect eggs every time.

That is also how I cook them. Then I drain the water, crack the eggs,
plunge them into an ice water bath and I peel them when they are cool.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a
>>> method that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Eggs in pot
>>> Cover with cold water
>>> Heat to rolling boil
>>> Turn off heat
>>> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

>> Eggsackly what I do. Perfect eggs every time.

> That is also how I cook them. Then I drain the water, crack the eggs,
> plunge them into an ice water bath and I peel them when they are cool.

YES! If I put a bunch of salt in the water the shells come off easily, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message
>
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> Eggsackly what I do. Perfect eggs every time.
>>>

>> That is also how I cook them. Then I drain the water, crack the eggs,
>> plunge them into an ice water bath and I peel them when they are cool.
>>

> YES! If I put a bunch of salt in the water the shells come off easily, too.

Thanks, I will try that.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:48:46 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> sf wrote on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:50:48 -0700:
>
>>> Is there such a thing as an "overcooked" hard-boiled egg?
>>> Like a lot of cooking descriptions, no-one seems to givr
>>> precise definitions.

>> Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

> To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a
> method that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like
> them.
>
> Eggs in pot
> Cover with cold water
> Heat to rolling boil
> Turn off heat
> Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

this is what i do, too. allow eggs to come to room temp before starting,
and run cold water over them when finished.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 4:02*pm, "Felice" > wrote:

> >> Green yolks and whites you could use as retreads come to mind.

> > To tell the truth, I don't over boil eggs as far as I know. I use a method
> > that I learned 40 years ago and which produces eggs as I like them.

> > Eggs in pot
> > Cover with cold water
> > Heat to rolling boil
> > Turn off heat
> > Remove eggs after 20 minutes.

> Perfect. But then I give them 5 minutes in iced water to make them easier to
> peel.
>
> Felice

Yup. I've done just what James and Cyber and Felice said for over 50
years (started cooking at age 5).
Lynn in Fargo