Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Default Hard boiled eggs.

Nancy2 wrote:
> Leave them raw in the shell up to 6 weeks in the fridge only. Cooked
> only last about 3 days.

Pickled they'll last months. Hard boiled eggs, vinegar, onion, maybe
a few jalapenoes or chile peppers, a little salt & sugar. A couple
of slices of cooked or pickled beet if you want them to turn pink. A
sixth the price you'd pay for commercial pickled eggs. Don't eat them
all at one sitting.

Dave
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Dave Garland wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>> Leave them raw in the shell up to 6 weeks in the fridge only. Cooked
>> only last about 3 days.

> Pickled they'll last months. Hard boiled eggs, vinegar, onion, maybe
> a few jalapenoes or chile peppers, a little salt & sugar. A couple
> of slices of cooked or pickled beet if you want them to turn pink. A
> sixth the price you'd pay for commercial pickled eggs. Don't eat them
> all at one sitting.

How long does it take before you can tell they're pickled if you wash off the
vinegar?

--
Cheers, Bev
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

The Real Bev wrote:

> How long does it take before you can tell they're pickled if you wash
> off the vinegar?

Couple of weeks. If you're serious you stick each egg with a fork (to
provide an extra way for infiltration). And invert the jar daily to
agitate the solution.

But why would you wash off the vinegar? Just fish them out, and eat
them. No rinsing needed. Then eat the onions etc. that are left.

Dave

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Dave Garland wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> How long does it take before you can tell they're pickled if you wash
>> off the vinegar?
>>

> Couple of weeks. If you're serious you stick each egg with a fork (to
> provide an extra way for infiltration). And invert the jar daily to
> agitate the solution.
>
> But why would you wash off the vinegar?

If they don't absorb it, why not just spray some vinegar on fresh HB eggs?

> Just fish them out, and eat
> them. No rinsing needed. Then eat the onions etc. that are left.

I used some watermelon-pickle juice to make pickled beets out of fresh ones. I
should have cooked them longer. Next time...

--
Cheers, Bev
O_________________________________________________ O
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

The Real Bev wrote:
> If they don't absorb it, why not just spray some vinegar on fresh HB eggs?

They do absorb it, just not very fast. The sticking with fork thing,
I think it speeds it up a wee bit. Not everybody does that,
commercial pickled eggs haven't usually been stuck.

If you rinse a pickled egg off and eat it, it still tastes like a
pickled egg. To my mind, much tastier than plain HB eggs.

But then, I think that just about anything tastes better pickled.

Dave