Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How can you make a hot chocolate drink without sugar withoutsugar substitutes using the lactose of the milk?

On 7/21/2011 4:58 AM, thezak wrote:
> 3 cups homemade almond milk
> 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
> 2-3 tablespoons agave
> 1 tablespoon grated cacao butter
> Slightly warm milk in a double boiler or pot on the stove so it is
> just warm to the touch. Do not overheat. Add cacao powder while
> whisking. Continue whisking to incorporate cacao. Add sweetener and
> grated cacao butter
> Mimi Kirk

Isn't agave a sugar?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria replied:

>> 3 cups homemade almond milk
>> 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
>> 2-3 tablespoons agave
>> 1 tablespoon grated cacao butter
>> Slightly warm milk in a double boiler or pot on the stove so it is
>> just warm to the touch. Do not overheat. Add cacao powder while
>> whisking. Continue whisking to incorporate cacao. Add sweetener and
>> grated cacao butter
>> Mimi Kirk

> Isn't agave a sugar?

Yes it is! I don't think there's a good answer to the question in the
Subject line. Lactose just isn't all that sweet, and cocoa powder requires a
lot of sweetening to overcome its bitterness.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 10:05*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Gloria replied:
>
> >> 3 cups homemade almond milk
> >> 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
> >> 2-3 tablespoons agave
> >> 1 tablespoon grated cacao butter
> >> Slightly warm milk in a double boiler or pot on the stove so it is
> >> just warm to the touch. Do not overheat. Add cacao powder while
> >> whisking. Continue whisking to incorporate cacao. Add sweetener and
> >> grated cacao butter
> >> Mimi Kirk

> > Isn't agave a sugar?

> Yes it is! I don't think there's a good answer to the question in the
> Subject line. Lactose just isn't all that sweet, and cocoa powder requires a
> lot of sweetening to overcome its bitterness.
>
> Bob

Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
effect?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 05:01:18 -0700 (PDT), thezak
> wrote:

> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
> effect?

I doubt it. Unsweetened coffee is bitter too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/07/2011 8:01 AM, thezak wrote:

> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
> effect?

Most certainly. The bitterness of the coffee with compliment the bitter
cocoa and give it another layer of flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

don wrote:

>> I don't think there's a good answer to the question in the Subject line.
>> Lactose just isn't all that sweet, and cocoa powder requires a lot of
>> sweetening to overcome its bitterness.

> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good

effect?

No, but a pinch of salt might.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> On 7/21/2011 4:58 AM, thezak wrote:
>> 3 cups homemade almond milk
>> 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
>> 2-3 tablespoons agave
>> 1 tablespoon grated cacao butter
>> Slightly warm milk in a double boiler or pot on the stove so it is
>> just warm to the touch. Do not overheat. Add cacao powder while
>> whisking. Continue whisking to incorporate cacao. Add sweetener and
>> grated cacao butter
>> Mimi Kirk

> Isn't agave a sugar?
>
> gloria p

I've been trying to decide whether it is a good thing or not and
have read some articles that claim it is about on a par with
HFCS....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thezak wrote:
> On Jul 21, 10:05 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>> Gloria replied:

>>> Isn't agave a sugar?

>> Yes it is! I don't think there's a good answer to the question in the
>> Subject line. Lactose just isn't all that sweet, and cocoa powder requires a
>> lot of sweetening to overcome its bitterness.
>>
>> Bob

> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
> effect?

Absolutely not. Are you ruling out substances like honey? Have
you ever tried yacon syrup? (I haven't yet.) Do you consider
stevia to be an artificial sweetener? How about xylitol? (BTW,
if you go the stevia or xylitol route, you will need to combine
sweeteners. You need the synergism....)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 22/07/2011 8:01 AM, thezak wrote:
>

>> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
>> effect?

> Most certainly. The bitterness of the coffee with compliment the bitter
> cocoa and give it another layer of flavour.

It will have another layer of flavor, and I happen to love the
combination, but IMO it would also be bitter in its own right.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:41:42 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Absolutely not. Are you ruling out substances like honey? Have
> you ever tried yacon syrup? (I haven't yet.) Do you consider
> stevia to be an artificial sweetener? How about xylitol? (BTW,
> if you go the stevia or xylitol route, you will need to co

Holy cow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:42:38 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 22/07/2011 8:01 AM, thezak wrote:
> >

> >> Would an ounce or so of coffee counter that bitter cocoa to good
> >> effect?

> > Most certainly. The bitterness of the coffee with compliment the bitter
> > cocoa and give it another layer of flavour.
> >

> It will have another layer of flavor, and I happen to love the
> combination, but IMO it would also be bitter in its own right.

Absolutely!

It will still need a sweetener if anyone like me is expected to
tolerate it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/07/2011 3:41 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:42:38 -0400, "Jean > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Most certainly. The bitterness of the coffee with compliment the bitter
>>> cocoa and give it another layer of flavour.
>>>

>> It will have another layer of flavor, and I happen to love the
>> combination, but IMO it would also be bitter in its own right.

> Absolutely!
>
> It will still need a sweetener if anyone like me is expected to
> tolerate it.

Oh no. I think that the OP would love it. ;-)