Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bite-size Brownies

How do I make mini brownies using a brownie mix? Pillsbury makes a kit
(complete with pns) but I can't find the mix in any of the local stores.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Marlene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 3:26*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:05:30 -0700, (Marlene
>
> Seaward) wrote:
> > How do I make mini brownies using a brownie mix? *Pillsbury makes a kit
> > (complete with pns) but I can't find the mix in any of the local stores..
> > Thanks in advance for any help!
> > Marlene

> Use the cheapest, generic mix you can find. *That sounded like a joke,
> but it's not because I haven't used a generic brownie mix I didn't
> like. *Follow the cooking directions carefully, then cut them
> carefully into 1 inch squares. *
>
> I would line the baking pan first with enough foil to overlap the
> sides and proceed with the recipe from there - the foil will help you
> remove the brownies easily after they've cooled.

The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:32:51 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 3:26*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:05:30 -0700, (Marlene
> >
> > Seaward) wrote:
> > > How do I make mini brownies using a brownie mix? *Pillsbury makes a kit
> > > (complete with pns) but I can't find the mix in any of the local stores.
> > > Thanks in advance for any help!
> > > Marlene

> > Use the cheapest, generic mix you can find. *That sounded like a joke,
> > but it's not because I haven't used a generic brownie mix I didn't
> > like. *Follow the cooking directions carefully, then cut them
> > carefully into 1 inch squares. *
> >
> > I would line the baking pan first with enough foil to overlap the
> > sides and proceed with the recipe from there - the foil will help you
> > remove the brownies easily after they've cooled.
> >

> The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
> she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

And I'll die happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:26:00 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>Use the cheapest, generic mix you can find. That sounded like a joke,
>but it's not because I haven't used a generic brownie mix I didn't
>like.

Don't use the store brand from Smart & Final. It was terrible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 5:57*pm, Ranee at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> * *Use your mix and put it in mini muffin tins.

Total agreement, I do this often. However, when using the mini-muffin
tins, do cut the oven temp by 25 degrees and the baking time by about
30 percent. Another simpler way is to sling-bake, as in line the
normal size brownie baking pan with a foil sling to lift the cooled
brownie slab out for cutting into whatever mini-size you want to. Do
oil-spray or butter the foil and the pan sides as well.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marlene Seaward" > wrote in message
> How do I make mini brownies using a brownie mix? Pillsbury makes a kit
> (complete with pns) but I can't find the mix in any of the local stores.
> Thanks in advance for any help!
> Marlene

Cut them smaller?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Jul 15, 3:26 pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:05:30 -0700, (Marlene
>>
>> Seaward) wrote:
>>> How do I make mini brownies using a brownie mix? Pillsbury makes a
>>> kit (complete with pns) but I can't find the mix in any of the
>>> local stores. Thanks in advance for any help!
>>> Marlene

>> Use the cheapest, generic mix you can find. That sounded like a joke,
>> but it's not because I haven't used a generic brownie mix I didn't
>> like. Follow the cooking directions carefully, then cut them
>> carefully into 1 inch squares.
>>
>> I would line the baking pan first with enough foil to overlap the
>> sides and proceed with the recipe from there - the foil will help you
>> remove the brownies easily after they've cooled.
>>

> The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
> she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

I'm sure there are mixes that don't have transfats. I haven't bought a
brownie mix in years. But as far as I can recall you have to add your own
fat to them. If the mainstream ones do have transfats there are some that
are organic and surely they wouldn't have transfats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 9:11*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > On Jul 15, 3:26 pm, sf > wrote:

> >> Use the cheapest, generic mix you can find. That sounded like a joke,
> >> but it's not because I haven't used a generic brownie mix I didn't
> >> like. Follow the cooking directions carefully, then cut them
> >> carefully into 1 inch squares.

> >> I would line the baking pan first with enough foil to overlap the
> >> sides and proceed with the recipe from there - the foil will help you
> >> remove the brownies easily after they've cooled.

> > The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
> > she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

> I'm sure there are mixes that don't have transfats. *I haven't bought a
> brownie mix in years. *But as far as I can recall you have to add your own
> fat to them. *If the mainstream ones do have transfats there are some that
> are organic and surely they wouldn't have transfats.

The OP mentioned Pillsbury. The sf suggested that she, "Use the
cheapest, generic mix you can find." That says transfats. It'd be
fun to take the top execs of Pillsbury and force feed them Crisco in
the manner of foie gras geese.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:24:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:
>
> The OP mentioned Pillsbury. The sf suggested that she, "Use the
> cheapest, generic mix you can find." That says transfats. It'd be
> fun to take the top execs of Pillsbury and force feed them Crisco in
> the manner of foie gras geese.

Yep, I recommended a generic mix and I stand by the suggestion. I
remember the yellow boxes of generic brownie mix at Safeway (? years
ago) and they were terrific. Since then, I've tried store brands and
every one I've tried has been great. I don't buy any mix very often,
but if I buy a brownie mix > it will *not* be a name brand unless it's
on a no-can-lose sale. No need to go to the trouble of making
brownies from scratch when a boxed mix tastes so good (thank you trans
fat).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 4:20*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:32:51 -0700 (PDT), Trans Fat Chicken Little:
>
> > The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
> > she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

> First hit on Google. *No trans fats listed:
>
> http://www.pillsburybaking.com/produ...spx?catID=297&....
>
> Second hit. *No trans fats listed:

Zero "grams per serving" is NOT no trans fats. Look in the
ingredients for partially hydrogenated...

In the Betty Crocker, it is third in the ingredients list:
http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...0819831&sr=1-3
Even Ghirardelli uses it:
http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch...f=pd_sbs_gro_7

> We should call you "Trans Fat Chicken Little".

You're being very sloppy, Steve. I was hoping you were correct, and
that the trash mix companies had reformed, like a guy who has finally
quit beating his wife, but no such luck. It is you who are the bird
brain this time.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 04:23:16 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:24:01 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>

>> The OP mentioned Pillsbury. The sf suggested that she, "Use the
>> cheapest, generic mix you can find." That says transfats.

> It does? I didn't find any that contained trans fats.
>
>> It'd be
>> fun to take the top execs of Pillsbury and force feed them Crisco in
>> the manner of foie gras geese.

> But you would never condone such a practice. You are above all that,
> you keep saying.
>
> For being such a "good, law-abiding person", you sure have some
> demented thoughts.
>
> -sw

you got that right. not to mention predictable.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 7:43*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 4:20*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:32:51 -0700 (PDT), Trans Fat Chicken Little:

> > > The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
> > > she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

> > First hit on Google. *No trans fats listed:

> >http://www.pillsburybaking.com/produ...spx?catID=297&....

> > Second hit. *No trans fats listed:

> Zero "grams per serving" is NOT no trans fats. *Look in the
> ingredients for partially hydrogenated...
>
> In the Betty Crocker, it is third in the ingredients list:http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...3-Ounce/dp/B00...
> Even Ghirardelli uses it:http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch...ble-Ounce/dp/B...
>

> > We should call you "Trans Fat Chicken Little".

> You're being very sloppy, Steve. *I was hoping you were correct, and
> that the trash mix companies had reformed, like a guy who has finally
> quit beating his wife, but no such luck. *It is you who are the bird
> brain this time.
>

> > -sw

> --Bryan

I think Bryan tries to micromanage his health by avoiding transfats
(and using paper coffee filters! ;-)) and lambasting them at every
opportunity as a reaction formation defense to his habit of dumping
tons of salt on things and gulping HTN medications while trying
desperately to speciously cite anything remotely credible saying that
salt *may* not affect his HTN!

But I love ya Bryan! :-) Hey, I have two full 4-packs of used Schick
Quattro Titanium cartridges. You want 'em? :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:22*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 7:43*am, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 16, 4:20*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:32:51 -0700 (PDT), Trans Fat Chicken Little:

> > > First hit on Google. *No trans fats listed:

> > >http://www.pillsburybaking.com/produ...spx?catID=297&...

> > > Second hit. *No trans fats listed:

> > Zero "grams per serving" is NOT no trans fats. *Look in the
> > ingredients for partially hydrogenated...

> > In the Betty Crocker, it is third in the ingredients list:http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...3-Ounce/dp/B00...
> > Even Ghirardelli uses it:http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Ch...ble-Ounce/dp/B...

> > > We should call you "Trans Fat Chicken Little".

> > You're being very sloppy, Steve. *I was hoping you were correct, and
> > that the trash mix companies had reformed, like a guy who has finally
> > quit beating his wife, but no such luck. *It is you who are the bird
> > brain this time.

> > > -sw

> > --Bryan

> I think Bryan tries to micromanage his health by avoiding transfats
> (and using paper coffee filters! ;-)) and lambasting them at every
> opportunity as a reaction formation defense to his habit of dumping
> tons of salt on things and gulping HTN medications while trying
> desperately to speciously cite anything remotely credible saying that
> salt *may* not affect his HTN!

I don't call 5mg a day of amlodipine, "gulping HTN medications." Salt
can be very pleasurable. Trans fat is not.

> But I love ya Bryan! :-) Hey, I have two full 4-packs of used Schick
> Quattro Titanium cartridges. You want 'em? :-)

Yes.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Trans Fat Chicken Little:

>> > The brownie mixes are full of trans fats, but sf doesn't care because
>> > she's so old she figures she'll be dead soon anyway.

>> First hit on Google. *No trans fats listed:

> Zero "grams per serving" is NOT no trans fats. Look in the
> ingredients for partially hydrogenated...

In US labeling laws if the amount is 0.5 grams per server they get to
list it as zero. US companies often select a serving size so some
nutrient gets rounded down to zero. A few serving sizes come out that
way naturally as well - Heavy cream is 6 grams of carb per cup thus
6/8ths of a gram per floz thus 6/16ths of a gram per tablespoon. The
tablespoon amount downs down to zero so the serving size of heavy cream
is set to a tablespoon and it is listed as having 0 carbs. When put in
coffee a tablespoon of heavy cream works fine as a serving if you're
putting it there to supplement the coffee flavor not to mask the coffee
flavor.

Looking around at US labels it is clear that some products that are
labeled "fat free" have small serving sizes selected to be able to round
down to 0. This case is clearly a product with the serving size
selected so it can be labeled "trans fat free".

> You're being very sloppy, Steve. I was hoping you were correct, and
> that the trash mix companies had reformed, like a guy who has finally
> quit beating his wife, but no such luck. It is you who are the bird
> brain this time.

Another possibility that I won't call unhealthy - Natural fats that grow
inside plants and animals before we eat them are made from mixtures of
fatty acid types. Some transfats are in that mix naturally. Some
transfats are in that mix because some transfats ended up in that
animal's diet (that's not so much an option for food made from plants).
The amount is always tiny but it's not all the way to zero. A giant
untrimmed prime rib might have enough to round up not down if I managed
to eat all 24 ounces of it. Might. Might not. To be sure to round up
it would be more than any two of us could handle on our most gluttonous
day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 10:34*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 10:22*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > I think Bryan tries to micromanage his health by avoiding transfats
> > (and using paper coffee filters! ;-)) and lambasting them at every
> > opportunity as a reaction formation defense to his habit of dumping
> > tons of salt on things and gulping HTN medications while trying
> > desperately to speciously cite anything remotely credible saying that
> > salt *may* not affect his HTN!

> I don't call 5mg a day of amlodipine, "gulping HTN medications." *Salt
> can be very pleasurable. *Trans fat is not.

So you're baseline standard is "what do I like" vs. what's
healthiest? ;-) And I don't take any HTN medications, and the last
time my BP was measured a week or two ago I was 118/78! NO HTM meds!
But I don't dump salt on everything either. ;-)

> > But I love ya Bryan! :-) Hey, I have two full 4-packs of used Schick
> > Quattro Titanium cartridges. You want 'em? :-)

> Yes.

Saving 'em for you. I have a good bicycle route over now too, when you
gonna be home? I can ride 'em over. I have a dentist's appt at 9:30AM
Monday 1/2 way to your house already, whatcha doing Monday?

John Kuthe...