Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloppy Joe's

I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.

I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
sweet for me.
If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
to get a homemade version of.

So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2011 9:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> But you asked this same question three years ago and didn't like the
> advice then, so I don't know why I'm bringing it up again.

That's one of the first posts I remember seeing here. I guess I've been
reading three years. Wow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:00:50 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>
> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
> sweet for me.
> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
> to get a homemade version of.
>
> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

I like Manwich (from a packet) but I haven't made it in years, so I
don't know if their recipe is different now or not. Looking up
Copycat +McCormick sloppy joe recipe, this was the first one that came
up.

1 pound ground beef
1 Tablespoon oil
2 cups chopped onion (remember yellow onions are the sweetest)
4 cloves fresh garlic-finely minced
1/2-3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup tomato ketchup*
1 cup diced green bell pepper (I'd use less)
1/4 cup red wine (water or beef stock would be a better choice)
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (seems like too much, try 1 tsp)
1 teaspoon chili powder-if unavailable omit (I'd leave it out)

Pre-heat a heavy skillet add the oil and cook the beef, onion and
garlic over medium high heat until beef is browned and onion is
tender. Drain excess fat and oil, then add the remaining ingredients
and simmer over low heat for 45-60 minutes. If the mixture isn’t as
thick as you like when the cooking time is up, uncover and simmer
until thickened. If mixture is too thick add a little water or some
more wine.

* If you think that ketchup will make it too sweet, substitute tomato
sauce and then substitute vegetable stock for the wine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:00:50 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>>
>> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
>> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
>> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
>> sweet for me.
>> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
>> to get a homemade version of.
>>
>> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

> I like Manwich (from a packet) but I haven't made it in years, so I
> don't know if their recipe is different now or not. Looking up
> Copycat +McCormick sloppy joe recipe, this was the first one that came
> up.
>
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 Tablespoon oil
> 2 cups chopped onion (remember yellow onions are the sweetest)
> 4 cloves fresh garlic-finely minced
> 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
> 1 cup tomato ketchup*
> 1 cup diced green bell pepper (I'd use less)
> 1/4 cup red wine (water or beef stock would be a better choice)
> 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
> 1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
> 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
> 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (seems like too much, try 1 tsp)
> 1 teaspoon chili powder-if unavailable omit (I'd leave it out)
>
> Pre-heat a heavy skillet add the oil and cook the beef, onion and
> garlic over medium high heat until beef is browned and onion is
> tender. Drain excess fat and oil, then add the remaining ingredients
> and simmer over low heat for 45-60 minutes. If the mixture isn't as
> thick as you like when the cooking time is up, uncover and simmer
> until thickened. If mixture is too thick add a little water or some
> more wine.
>
> * If you think that ketchup will make it too sweet, substitute tomato
> sauce and then substitute vegetable stock for the wine.
>

> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Oh My, The last time I opened a can of Manwich I ended up tossing it in
the garbage. Maybe I wasn't drunk enough to enjoy it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2011 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 21:45:59 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/2011 9:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> But you asked this same question three years ago and didn't like the
>>> advice then, so I don't know why I'm bringing it up again.

>> That's one of the first posts I remember seeing here. I guess I've been
>> reading three years. Wow.

> How do you remember a post from 3 years ago, are you weird or
> something?
>
> ;-)

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.

>But you asked this same question three years ago and didn't like the
>advice then, so I don't know why I'm bringing it up again.

Wow. Someone saw and remembered!
Yeah, you're right. I didn't get a good savory sloppy joe recipe then.
The reason I ask again is things change. There might be new people with
new ideas, old people find new things. Probably should ask every year,
really.
If I were more experienced, I might be able to work up something that
works for me. But I'm not, so I ask.

>Have you tried Manwich Bold?

I'll probably try it, thanks.

But hopefully I can find something to make from scratch.

Thanks for you input.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

>On 7/9/2011 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> That's one of the first posts I remember seeing here. I guess I've been
>>> reading three years. Wow.

>> How do you remember a post from 3 years ago, are you weird or
>> something?
>>
>> ;-)

>Yes.

How weird?<g> If you're one of those folks who remember
*everything*- you do know there is set of Dr's researching the
phenomenon who would like to talk to you.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7156877.shtml
http://www.uci.edu/features/2010/12/...cts_101215.php

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 03:00:03 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.

>>But you asked this same question three years ago and didn't like the
>>advice then, so I don't know why I'm bringing it up again.

>Wow. Someone saw and remembered!
>Yeah, you're right. I didn't get a good savory sloppy joe recipe then.
>The reason I ask again is things change. There might be new people with
>new ideas, old people find new things. Probably should ask every year,
>really.
>If I were more experienced, I might be able to work up something that
>works for me. But I'm not, so I ask.

-snip-

But you're the only one who knows what *you* like. Have you tried
Dr. Pepper Sloppy Joe's?

This is pretty much how I do them- [Except for the ground beef-- I use
all 80% beef & don't drain it]
http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-rec...oe-recipe.html

I also might add a few splashes of hot sauce [Frank's] -- and if I'm
in the mood, a cup of celery.. . . . a cup of leftover corn in the
fridge?-- toss it in. . . . . mushrooms need to be used up, chop and
saute with the meat. . . too soupy, add oatmeal. . . too stiff,
add catsup.

It isn't baking-- you can do whatever floats your boat. Go in
small increments, a bit at a time. It is going to be good. You just
tune it to your tastes.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>
> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
> sweet for me.
> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
> to get a homemade version of.
>
> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a can
of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with a
thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:

> powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....

> There's no need to make this complicated with a

Which you are also doing. Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
Add nothing. Dilute nothing.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>>
>> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
>> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
>> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
>> sweet for me.
>> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
>> to get a homemade version of.
>>
>> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

>Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a can
>of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
>powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
>little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
>Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with a
>thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>
>Jill

O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it was originally a
Campbell's 1940's tomato soup recipe. Why make it complicated? Some
ground beef, maybe a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it floats
your boat. Salt and pepper or chili powder. Done.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 01:00:32 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

> On 7/9/2011 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> That's one of the first posts I remember seeing here. I guess I've been
>>> reading three years. Wow.

>> How do you remember a post from 3 years ago, are you weird or
>> something?
>>
>> ;-)

> Yes.

uh-oh.

good thing there are no other weird people here.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a can
> of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
> powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
> little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
> Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with a
> thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>
> Jill

that sounds like a pretty cruddy sloppy joe to me.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jul 2011 13:57:33 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....

> > There's no need to make this complicated with a

> Which you are also doing. Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> Add nothing. Dilute nothing.

The OP said: Manwich is almost too sweet for me. Not too sweet,
"almost" too sweet. WTF is that supposed to mean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:54:23 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I use Wayne Boatwright's recipe, which makes a very good one.

Wayne's recipes are usually spot on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....

>> There's no need to make this complicated with a

> Which you are also doing. Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> Add nothing. Dilute nothing.
>
> nb

The OP stated he doesn't like Manwich.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>>>
>>> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
>>> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
>>> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
>>> sweet for me.
>>> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
>>> to get a homemade version of.
>>>
>>> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

>>Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a
>>can
>>of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
>>powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
>>little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
>>Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with
>>thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>>
>>Jill

> O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it was originally a
> Campbell's 1940's tomato soup recipe. Why make it complicated? Some
> ground beef, maybe a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it floats
> your boat. Salt and pepper or chili powder. Done.
> Janet US

The sloppy Joe recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook uses Campbell's Chicken
Gumbo soup.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>>>
>>> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
>>> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
>>> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
>>> sweet for me.
>>> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
>>> to get a homemade version of.
>>>
>>> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

>>Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a
>>can
>>of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
>>powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
>>little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
>>Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with
>>thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>>
>>Jill

> O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it was originally a
> Campbell's 1940's tomato soup recipe. Why make it complicated? Some
> ground beef, maybe a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it floats
> your boat. Salt and pepper or chili powder. Done.
> Janet US

I think you're right! It was a Campbell's soup recipe! My mother cooked
with a lot of Campbell's tomato soup. That's how she made her chili. It
was the blandest chili I ever tasted. Mom grew up in Ohio; apparently they
didn't believe in spices.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:21:16 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>>Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a
>>>can
>>>of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
>>>powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
>>>little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
>>>Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with
>>>thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it was originally a
>> Campbell's 1940's tomato soup recipe. Why make it complicated? Some
>> ground beef, maybe a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it floats
>> your boat. Salt and pepper or chili powder. Done.
>> Janet US

>I think you're right! It was a Campbell's soup recipe! My mother cooked
>with a lot of Campbell's tomato soup. That's how she made her chili. It
>was the blandest chili I ever tasted. Mom grew up in Ohio; apparently they
>didn't believe in spices.
>
>Jill

People in the mid-west didn't back then. My mom used salt and pepper.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:04:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:21:16 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

> >I think you're right! It was a Campbell's soup recipe! My mother cooked
> >with a lot of Campbell's tomato soup. That's how she made her chili. It
> >was the blandest chili I ever tasted. Mom grew up in Ohio; apparently they
> >didn't believe in spices.
> >

> People in the mid-west didn't back then. My mom used salt and pepper.

Mine must have been downright progressive. She used powdered garlic &
dried oregano in spaghetti sauce (which was tomato sauce from a can)
and put summer savory on her roast beef.

I remember the first time I ate chili. My mother's friend brought
over a pot made with hamburger and red kidney beans. It was
delicious, but every bite brought tears to my eyes and I had to drink
milk or maybe it was water with every bite. I don't know if she over
seasoned it or if my taste buds just weren't used to what little heat
there was. I only know we requested it after that and the subsequent
chili my mother made wasn't too hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:52:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
>>> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.
>>>
>>> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
>>> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
>>> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
>>> sweet for me.
>>> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
>>> to get a homemade version of.
>>>
>>> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

>> Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef (cooked and drained, of course), a can
>> of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with a can of water. Add some chili
>> powder and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer gently until there's very
>> little liquid remaining but it's... well the name says it all... "sloppy".
>> Serve it on hamburger buns. There's no need to make this complicated with a
>> thousand herbs or spices. And certainly no need to add sugar to the mix.
>>
>> Jill

> O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it was originally a
> Campbell's 1940's tomato soup recipe. Why make it complicated? Some
> ground beef, maybe a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it floats
> your boat. Salt and pepper or chili powder. Done.
> Janet US

Neither the Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink nor The
Dictionary of American Food and Drink were able to nail down an
origin for this. In the latter, Mariani guessed that it first
appeared in the 1960s, which is obviously not true. In the
former, there is speculation that the dish may have existed for a
while before the name was attached to it, and there are a couple
of theories about the origin of the name.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 11:33*pm, "Mike" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:00:50 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> > > wrote:

> >> I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.

> >> I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
> >> bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
> >> well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
> >> sweet for me.
> >> If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
> >> to get a homemade version of.

> >> So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

> > I like Manwich (from a packet) but I haven't made it in years, so I
> > don't know if their recipe is different now or not. *Looking up
> > Copycat +McCormick sloppy joe recipe, this was the first one that came
> > up.

> > 1 pound ground beef
> > 1 Tablespoon oil
> > 2 cups chopped onion (remember yellow onions are the sweetest)
> > 4 cloves fresh garlic-finely minced
> > 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
> > 1 cup tomato ketchup*
> > 1 cup diced green bell pepper (I'd use less)
> > 1/4 cup red wine *(water or beef stock would be a better choice)
> > 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
> > 1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
> > 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
> > 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce (seems like too much, try 1 tsp)
> > 1 teaspoon chili powder-if unavailable omit (I'd leave it out)

> > Pre-heat a heavy skillet add the oil and cook the beef, onion and
> > garlic over medium high heat until beef is browned and onion is
> > tender. *Drain excess fat and oil, then add the remaining ingredients
> > and simmer over low heat for 45-60 minutes. If the mixture isn't as
> > thick as you like when the cooking time is up, uncover and simmer
> > until thickened. If mixture is too thick add a little water or some
> > more wine.

> > * If you think that ketchup will make it too sweet, substitute tomato
> > sauce and then substitute vegetable stock for the wine.

> > --

> > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

> Oh My, *The last time I opened a can of Manwich *I ended up tossing it in
> the garbage. *Maybe I wasn't drunk enough to enjoy it

I bought some cans of it because I had coupons that made it almost
free. After one can, I donated the rest of them to a food pantry. I
ate the Manwich stuff I made because I hate wasting food, but I didn't
enjoy it.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 8:57*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....
> > There's no need to make this complicated with a

> Which you are also doing. *Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> Add nothing. *Dilute nothing.

And anyone with crappy enough tastes to name him/herself after
Pringles and CheezUms ought to love Manwich sloppy joes.

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 7:04*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:57*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:

> > > powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....
> > > There's no need to make this complicated with a

> > Which you are also doing. *Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> > Add nothing. *Dilute nothing.

> And anyone with crappy enough tastes to name him/herself after
> Pringles and CheezUms ought to love Manwich sloppy joes.
>

> > nb

> --Bryan

Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.

I finally get it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 12:19*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:54:23 -0700, Christine Dabney
>
> > wrote:
> > I use Wayne Boatwright's recipe, which makes a very good one.

> Wayne's recipes are usually spot on.

That's laughable, especially with this recipe where there's jarred
"chili sauce," possibly the crappiest condiment ever devised, and
"catsup." It looks like the sort of thing you'd see in a newspaper.
Any recipe with "chili sauce" belongs on the garbage heap.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
snip

>Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
>another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
>say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
>is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
>spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
>Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
>anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
>right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
>basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
>your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.
>
>I finally get it!
>
>John Kuthe...

Regarding hypersensitive smell, it's real. I suffered such for a
period of months and it is awful You pick up notes in foods that no
one else knows is there or you'll pick up on something so exaggerated
as to be impossible to tolerate. After living through that, I am now
very tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes. I believe that
everyone is operating with different tuning on their senses.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

screw him post the chicken recipe, Lee

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Jul 10, 7:04 pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:57 am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:

> > > powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....
> > > There's no need to make this complicated with a

> > Which you are also doing. Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> > Add nothing. Dilute nothing.

> And anyone with crappy enough tastes to name him/herself after
> Pringles and CheezUms ought to love Manwich sloppy joes.
>

> > nb

> --Bryan

Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.

I finally get it!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 7:34*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> *snip
>

> >Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
> >another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
> >say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
> >is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
> >spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
> >Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
> >anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
> >right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
> >basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
> >your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.

> >I finally get it!

> >John Kuthe...

> Regarding hypersensitive smell, it's real. *I suffered such for a
> period of months and it is awful *You pick up notes in foods that no
> one else knows is there or you'll pick up on something so exaggerated
> as to be impossible to tolerate. *After living through that, I am now
> very tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes. *I believe that
> everyone is operating with different tuning on their senses.
> Janet US

I know Bryan's hypersensitive sense of smell is real. I discovered
that a year or so ago when we were standing more than 6 feet from
Bryan's wife's basil plant and he was whinging about the basil smell.
I could not smell it until I walked over to the plant and rubbed the
leaf and smelled my finger! I have a HYPOsensitive sense of smell and
taste.

But Bryan's condemnatory decreeing of everything he doesn't like as
crap is bullshit, IMHO.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:01:29 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 11:33*pm, "Mike" > wrote:

> > Oh My, *The last time I opened a can of Manwich *I ended up tossing it in
> > the garbage. *Maybe I wasn't drunk enough to enjoy it

> I bought some cans of it because I had coupons that made it almost
> free. After one can, I donated the rest of them to a food pantry. I
> ate the Manwich stuff I made because I hate wasting food, but I didn't
> enjoy it.

I notice that people who say they don't like it open up cans. I think
I tried a can once and didn't like it either. Try the package and get
back to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:04:28 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 8:57*am, notbob > wrote:
> > On 2011-07-10, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> > > powder and a dash of cayenne pepper....
> > > There's no need to make this complicated with a

> > Which you are also doing. *Buy damn can of Manwich and mix in burger.
> > Add nothing. *Dilute nothing.

> And anyone with crappy enough tastes to name him/herself after
> Pringles and CheezUms ought to love Manwich sloppy joes.

I think he's usually a troll, but I'm assuming even trolls like to eat
real food every now and then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 12:19*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:54:23 -0700, Christine Dabney
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > I use Wayne Boatwright's recipe, which makes a very good one.

> > Wayne's recipes are usually spot on.
> >

> That's laughable, especially with this recipe where there's jarred
> "chili sauce," possibly the crappiest condiment ever devised, and
> "catsup." It looks like the sort of thing you'd see in a newspaper.
> Any recipe with "chili sauce" belongs on the garbage heap.

Bryan, sloppy joes aren't exactly haute cuisine to begin with.
They're hamburger for god sake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> snip
>
>> Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
>> another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
>> say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
>> is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
>> spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
>> Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
>> anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
>> right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
>> basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
>> your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.
>>
>> I finally get it!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Regarding hypersensitive smell, it's real. I suffered such for a
> period of months and it is awful You pick up notes in foods that no
> one else knows is there or you'll pick up on something so exaggerated
> as to be impossible to tolerate. After living through that, I am now
> very tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes. I believe that
> everyone is operating with different tuning on their senses.
> Janet US

Speaking of such... I was just eating a nectarine--or I started
to eat one, and then started thinking its flesh tasted like
pesticides. I have never thought that about anything before, so
it was kind-of odd. But then it makes sense, doesn't it? I guess
the nectarine will just have to try to follow its biological destiny.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Oh fer crying out loud. Ground beef
>> (cooked and drained, of course), a can
>> of Campbell's tomato soup diluted with
>> a can of water. Add some chili powder
>> and a dash of cayenne pepper. Simmer
>> gently until there's very little liquid
>> remaining but it's... well the name says
>> it all... "sloppy". Serve it on hamburger
>> buns. There's no need to make this
>> complicated with a thousand herbs or
>> spices. And certainly no need to add
>> sugar to the mix.

> O.k., Jill, now we are in sync. I think it
> was originally a Campbell's 1940's
> tomato soup recipe. Why make it
> complicated? Some ground beef, maybe
> a little celery, onion, bell pepper if it
> floats your boat. Salt and pepper or chili
> powder. Done. Janet US

Add a can of kidney beans, some chili powder, and you've got my mom's
easy chili.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 7:34*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> *snip
>

> >Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
> >another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
> >say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
> >is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
> >spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
> >Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
> >anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
> >right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
> >basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
> >your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.

> >I finally get it!

> >John Kuthe...

> Regarding hypersensitive smell, it's real. *I suffered such for a
> period of months and it is awful *You pick up notes in foods that no
> one else knows is there or you'll pick up on something so exaggerated
> as to be impossible to tolerate. *After living through that, I am now
> very tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes. *I believe that
> everyone is operating with different tuning on their senses.

You are lucky, Janet. I don't know what caused your temporary
condition (a mini stroke?), but you're lucky that it passed. I love
pinto and red kidney beans, and like many other types of beans, but
there is something in great northern beans that is unique, and I can
hardly tolerate being in the same room with them. To a lesser extent,
the *Brassica oleracea*s are also repugnant. I can lightly sautee
asparagus for my wife, and I find it only mildly unpleasant, but open
a can of asparagus, and I feel like throwing up. Coincidentally, I
just overheard my so talking about green apple flavored sorbet. I
like green apples and watermelons, but artificial green apple or
watermelon flavor grosses me out.

> Janet US

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 8:56*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jul 10, 7:34*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:14:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > *snip

> > >Bryan, I was thinking about your "tastes" as I made and enjoyed
> > >another batch of my curried chicken, which I know you'd hate. I always
> > >say that I've never had anything gross that you've prepared and that
> > >is true. But I've also never had anything exceptionally or creatively
> > >spiced or flavored that you have made either! Like my curried chicken.
> > >Your "tastes" are very simple and pedestrian, not that there is
> > >anything wrong with that, but there is also not anything exceptionally
> > >right with it either. Good food is inherently delicious with the most
> > >basic of preparation methods, and this is what you excel at because of
> > >your hypersensitive senses of smell and flavor.

> > >I finally get it!

> > >John Kuthe...

> > Regarding hypersensitive smell, it's real. *I suffered such for a
> > period of months and it is awful *You pick up notes in foods that no
> > one else knows is there or you'll pick up on something so exaggerated
> > as to be impossible to tolerate. *After living through that, I am now
> > very tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes. *I believe that
> > everyone is operating with different tuning on their senses.

> You are lucky, Janet. *I don't know what caused your temporary
> condition (a mini stroke?), but you're lucky that it passed. *I love
> pinto and red kidney beans, and like many other types of beans, but
> there is something in great northern beans that is unique, and I can
> hardly tolerate being in the same room with them. *To a lesser extent,
> the *Brassica oleracea*s are also repugnant. *I can lightly sautee
> asparagus for my wife, and I find it only mildly unpleasant, but open
> a can of asparagus, and I feel like throwing up. *Coincidentally, I
> just overheard my so talking about green apple flavored sorbet. *I
> like green apples and watermelons, but artificial green apple or
> watermelon flavor grosses me out.
>
> > Janet US

> --Bryan

Artificial watermelon is gross IMHO too. Artificial green apple I
don't know. The best artificial fruit flavor I think is raspberry! I
actually like it as much as real raspberries, I think.

And don't even get me started about artificial chocolate flavor! Ugh!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 7:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jul 10, 12:19*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:54:23 -0700, Christine Dabney

> > > Wayne's recipes are usually spot on.

> > That's laughable, especially with this recipe where there's jarred
> > "chili sauce," possibly the crappiest condiment ever devised, and
> > "catsup." *It looks like the sort of thing you'd see in a newspaper.
> > Any recipe with "chili sauce" belongs on the garbage heap.

> Bryan, sloppy joes aren't exactly haute cuisine to begin with.
> They're hamburger for god sake. *

If you think that "hamburger" is *injury*, does that justify adding
*insult*? If you insult ground beef, does it justify injuring it with
slopping in crappy condiments? Is that slopping in of crappy
condiments what makes it a "sloppy" joe? And who the heck is Joe
anyway?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:42:20 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> I know Bryan's hypersensitive sense of smell is real. I discovered
> that a year or so ago when we were standing more than 6 feet from
> Bryan's wife's basil plant and he was whinging about the basil smell.
> I could not smell it until I walked over to the plant and rubbed the
> leaf and smelled my finger! I have a HYPOsensitive sense of smell and
> taste.

I'm a bit better at it than you are, I can actually smell basil a few
feet away if the wind isn't blowing the scent away (at my house, you
can't smell honeysuckle or jasmine because the wind blows the perfume
away unless you bury your nose in it), but I know I can smell jasmine
40 feet away if I'm in a still, hot environment and I can smell basil
15 feet away - so my smeller isn't off. I've never had the
opportunity to smell honey suckle at a distance and although I grow it
(and jasmine) - odor has never been an issue at my house. They don't
even attract hummingbirds. Just stating the maximum distances I've
had the opportunity to smell the other two under perfect (hot & still)
conditions. Getting back to hummingbirds... Mexican sage seems to be
the heroin for hummingbirds - even the plants that grow in half
shade.

> But Bryan's condemnatory decreeing of everything he doesn't like as
> crap is bullshit, IMHO.

Agreed! I wouldn't mind it he used different terminology (which he
did tonight), because what's awful for him isn't awful for everyone
else and no one wants to be dictated to as if he's their domineering
father/mother. IE: if he doesn't like it, nobody else is allowed to
like it and he shouts them down if they dare to object. Think about
the people on Jerry Springer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:13:32 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Speaking of such... I was just eating a nectarine--or I started
> to eat one, and then started thinking its flesh tasted like
> pesticides. I have never thought that about anything before, so
> it was kind-of odd. But then it makes sense, doesn't it? I guess
> the nectarine will just have to try to follow its biological destiny.

Sometimes I have a metallic taste in my mouth, but the dentist says
there's no reason for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:30:40 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 7:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > That's laughable, especially with this recipe where there's jarred
> > > "chili sauce," possibly the crappiest condiment ever devised, and
> > > "catsup." *It looks like the sort of thing you'd see in a newspaper.
> > > Any recipe with "chili sauce" belongs on the garbage heap.

> > Bryan, sloppy joes aren't exactly haute cuisine to begin with.
> > They're hamburger for god sake. *
> >

> If you think that "hamburger" is *injury*, does that justify adding
> *insult*? If you insult ground beef, does it justify injuring it with
> slopping in crappy condiments? Is that slopping in of crappy
> condiments what makes it a "sloppy" joe? And who the heck is Joe
> anyway?

LOL! Well, to begin with there are some really GOOD chili sauces out
there if you are too lazy to make it yourself. Helpful hint: Homade,
which would be too sweet for the OP - but I love it. Put that in your
pipe and smoke it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 8:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:00:50 -0500, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
> > I'm looking for a good sloppy joe recipe.

> > I like savory sloppy's better than sweet, so if it has more than a small
> > bit of brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce or other kinds of sweetener,
> > well I'm glad you enjoy it but I probably won't. Manwich is almost too
> > sweet for me.
> > If anyone knows McCormick sloppy joe spice mix, that's what I'm trying
> > to get a homemade version of.

> > So please help find a good sloppy joe recipe!

> I really liked the Sloppy Joe recipe from my Crock Pot Manual (circa
> 1975). *But it was fairly sweet. *I don't like sweet meats but I
> gobbled this stuff down in no time.

OMG! I have an old Crock Pot manual from around then, is this the
recipe? From page 25:

Sloppy Joes

3 lbs gound chuck or hamburger
2 onions, finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 8-oz can water
2 packages sloppy joe seasoning
salt to taste

Brown ground meat in skillet, pour into colander and rinse well. Put
into Crock-Pot, add onions, green pepper, tomato sauce and water.
Stir thoroughly. Salt to taste. Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10
hours.