Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is it cake or is it bread? How do you know?

A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread Ičve
ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
inclusion of coconut.* It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
cake and a sweet quick bread.

Here's the recipe. I converted some of the volume measures to weight:

Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)

3 cups flour (24 ounces)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (8 grams)
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1 gram)
3/4 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
3/4 cup canola oil
1-1/2 cup sugar (11 ounces)
3 eggs, room temperature, well beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed (14 ounces, 4 small bananas)
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
3/4 cup coconut (2 ounces)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift together dry ingredients. Beat oil and sugar, add eggs,
vanilla, bananas, and sour cream. Mix well. Add dry ingredients and
mix well; add nuts and coconut. Pour batter into greased and floured
10" tube pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.

3. Let cool an hour before removing from pan.

4. When cold, glaze with a mixture of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1-1/2
tablespoons fresh lime juice.

First made June 8, 2011. Did not use the nuts. Skeptical about letting
the bread cool for an hour in the pan and then getting it neatly out of
the pan, I cut a parchment circle for the bottom of the pan and cut a
hole in the middle to accommodate the tube; greased the parchment but
did not flour it.

Recipe, details, and pictures are also on my website,
<http://web.me.com/barbschaller>.
--
Barb,
The Best Banana Bread I've Ever Eaten, June 8, 2011;
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2011 11:16 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread Ičve
> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
> yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread.
>
> Here's the recipe. I converted some of the volume measures to weight:

Semantics. I'd call any quick fruit bread a cake, but then I wouldn't
feel as comfortable eating it for breakfast. Bread it is.

Do you think it would change the recipe much if I ran the coconut
through the food processor? I like the flavor of coconut but not the
texture.

Yours looks gorgeous and sounds delicious. Must try.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 1:16*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread I ve
> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
> yesterday. *It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. * It's baked in a tube
> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread. *

Frosting?

There's probably some fine points in the technique. IIRC, most
quick breads are made with the muffin method, whereas cakes
can use the creaming method or that other one whose name
eludes me. I believe sponge cakes are made using the Nameless
Method.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 9, 10:16*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

Wonder if you could make this using a gluten free flour mix instead of
wheat flour????

Certainly looks yummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread Ičve
> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
> yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread.
>
> Here's the recipe. I converted some of the volume measures to weight:
>
> Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)
>
> 3 cups flour (24 ounces)
> 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (8 grams)
> 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1 gram)
> 3/4 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
> 3/4 cup canola oil
> 1-1/2 cup sugar (11 ounces)
> 3 eggs, room temperature, well beaten
> 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
> 1-1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed (14 ounces, 4 small bananas)
> 3/4 cup sour cream
> 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
> 3/4 cup coconut (2 ounces)
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> 2. Sift together dry ingredients. Beat oil and sugar, add eggs,
> vanilla, bananas, and sour cream. Mix well. Add dry ingredients and
> mix well; add nuts and coconut. Pour batter into greased and floured
> 10" tube pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.
>
> 3. Let cool an hour before removing from pan.
>
> 4. When cold, glaze with a mixture of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1-1/2
> tablespoons fresh lime juice.
>
> First made June 8, 2011. Did not use the nuts. Skeptical about letting
> the bread cool for an hour in the pan and then getting it neatly out of
> the pan, I cut a parchment circle for the bottom of the pan and cut a
> hole in the middle to accommodate the tube; greased the parchment but
> did not flour it.
>
> Recipe, details, and pictures are also on my website,
> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller>.
> --
> Barb,
> The Best Banana Bread I've Ever Eaten, June 8, 2011;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Chocolate bread is evil.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 10:28*am, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> On 6/9/2011 11:16 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > snipped. . . , which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> > cake and a sweet quick bread.

> Do you think it would change the recipe much if I ran the coconut
> through the food processor? I like the flavor of coconut but not the
> texture.

Barb, I simply determine cakes-to-breads as a cake being light and
served in wedges or pieces, and a bread being heavier, denser than
cakes are, served in slices.

Gloria, processing the coconut should not change anything as long as
you retain it's moisture. For your not-want of shredded coconut
texture, perhaps the very thin "shaved" coconut flakes I get through
kingarthurflour.com could be something you could try. If you have not
tried the flakes and would like to I'd be pleased to snail-mail you a
1/2 cup to try out in a partial batch bake from the order I just
received (that I stock up on and freeze for Xmas baking). Email an
address, if you care to.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Wonder if you could make this using a gluten free flour mix instead of
> wheat flour????

I have had gluten free banana bread made from a simpler recipe than
that. It should work fine butmight need a couple of tries for fine
tuning. I do volunteer to test the efforts during the fine tuning
process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread Ičve
> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
> yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread.
>
> Here's the recipe. I converted some of the volume measures to weight:
>
> Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)
>
> 3 cups flour (24 ounces)
> 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (8 grams)
> 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1 gram)
> 3/4 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
> 3/4 cup canola oil
> 1-1/2 cup sugar (11 ounces)
> 3 eggs, room temperature, well beaten
> 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
> 1-1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed (14 ounces, 4 small bananas)
> 3/4 cup sour cream
> 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
> 3/4 cup coconut (2 ounces)
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> 2. Sift together dry ingredients. Beat oil and sugar, add eggs,
> vanilla, bananas, and sour cream. Mix well. Add dry ingredients and
> mix well; add nuts and coconut. Pour batter into greased and floured
> 10" tube pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.
>
> 3. Let cool an hour before removing from pan.
>
> 4. When cold, glaze with a mixture of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1-1/2
> tablespoons fresh lime juice.
>
> First made June 8, 2011. Did not use the nuts. Skeptical about letting
> the bread cool for an hour in the pan and then getting it neatly out of
> the pan, I cut a parchment circle for the bottom of the pan and cut a
> hole in the middle to accommodate the tube; greased the parchment but
> did not flour it.
>
> Recipe, details, and pictures are also on my website,
> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller>.
> --
> Barb,
> The Best Banana Bread I've Ever Eaten, June 8, 2011;
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Many thanks for posting a "bilingual" recipe! I'll certainly try it!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Jun 9, 10:16*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> Wonder if you could make this using a gluten free flour mix instead of
> wheat flour????

Don't see why not. I've made similar things gf before.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The lime juice plus powdered sugar is a new idea for banana nut bread glaze.
Sounds good. My pantry always holds a few tubs of mashed banana baby food.
It works well as a substitute for bananas at the just right just ripe stage.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> > of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> > cake and a sweet quick bread.

> Ask the people who are still debating whether
> nachos can be a meal.
>
> Or, we can do it as a scientific experiment.
> Use a titration set up, add sugar and butter
> drop by drop to a bread dough, and catch that
> magical moment when it turns into a cake batter.

Troublemaker!!

--
Barb,
Fapitas!, June 7, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread.

Ask the people who are still debating whether
nachos can be a meal.

Or, we can do it as a scientific experiment.
Use a titration set up, add sugar and butter
drop by drop to a bread dough, and catch that
magical moment when it turns into a cake batter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 9, 12:53*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> The lime juice plus powdered sugar is a new idea for banana nut bread glaze.
> Sounds good. *My pantry always holds a few tubs of mashed banana baby food.
> It works well as a substitute for bananas at the just right just ripe stage.
> Polly

what a great idea !!! thanks for that suggestion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> The lime juice plus powdered sugar is a new idea for banana nut bread glaze.

Grandma used to put a lime-sugar glaze on Bundt cake. To me that
settles it by appeal to authority. It's definitely a cake because of
Grandma's lime glaze. This argument should work for anyone who has
family that puts a citrus glaze on cakes but not on breads and not work
for folks without that family tradition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:16:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here's the recipe. I converted some of the volume measures to weight:
>
>Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)

Get yourself back east and we'll go stuff our faces there.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 1:16*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread I ve
> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
> yesterday. *It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. * It's baked in a tube
> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> cake and a sweet quick bread. *
>
> Here's the recipe. *I converted some of the volume measures to weight:
>
> Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)
>
> 3 cups flour (24 ounces)
> 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (8 grams)
> 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1 gram)
> 3/4 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
> 3/4 cup canola oil
> 1-1/2 cup sugar (11 ounces)
> 3 eggs, room temperature, well beaten
> 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
> 1-1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed *(14 ounces, 4 small bananas)
> 3/4 cup sour cream
> 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans
> 3/4 cup coconut (2 ounces)
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> 2. Sift together dry ingredients. *Beat oil and sugar, add eggs,
> vanilla, bananas, and sour cream. *Mix well. *Add dry ingredients and
> mix well; add nuts and coconut. * Pour batter into greased and floured
> 10" tube pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.
>
> 3. Let cool an hour before removing from pan.
>
> 4. When cold, glaze with a mixture of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1-1/2
> tablespoons fresh lime juice.
>
> First made June 8, 2011. *Did not use the nuts. *Skeptical about letting
> the bread cool for an hour in the pan and then getting it neatly out of
> the pan, I cut a parchment circle for the bottom of the pan and cut a
> hole in the middle to accommodate the tube; greased the parchment but
> did not flour it.
>
> Recipe, details, and pictures are also on my website,
> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller>.
> --
> Barb,
> The Best Banana Bread I've Ever Eaten, June 8, 2011;http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Three cups of flour does not weigh 24 ounces. Three cups of all-
purpose flour is 375 grams or 13.25 ounces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Jun 9, 1:16*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > Here's the recipe. *I converted some of the volume measures to weight:
> >
> > Banana Bread (Magnolia Bakery, NYC recipe)
> >
> > 3 cups flour (24 ounces)

(snip)

> Three cups of flour does not weigh 24 ounces. Three cups of all-
> purpose flour is 375 grams or 13.25 ounces.

You are correct; as I measured, 3 cups weighs 14 ounces.
--
Barb,
Fapitas!, June 7, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:16:05 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> arranged random neurons and said:

>A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread Ičve
>ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
>inclusion of coconut.* It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
>juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
>yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
>pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
>of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
>cake and a sweet quick bread.

<snip recipe, etc.>

As I warned, erm, mentioned to you in email, I've emailed Chef Maurice
of the Laguna Culinary Arts, where Koko and I recently enjoyed a
pastry class, to inquire as to his opinion on whether this can be
categorized as cake or bread. I got a phone call from the school,
making sure that the email wasn't phishing or something (I'd included
the URL link, which is always suspect). Once assured that it was
indeed I, their pastry student, they promised to pass it along to Chef
Maurice. Looking forward to his reply!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nachos, formerly Is it cake or is it bread? How do you know?

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
> > of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
> > cake and a sweet quick bread.

> Ask the people who are still debating whether
> nachos can be a meal.

LOL!!! My grad school roommate would make nachos as a meal after a late
night in the lab.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Jun 9, 1:16 pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> A young friend of ours had brought a loaf of the best banana bread I ve
>> ever eaten to our house a couple weeks ago and I was intrigued by its
>> inclusion of coconut. It was moist and totally yummy, with a lime
>> juice-powdered sugar glaze on top. I had to make it and did so
>> yesterday. It's from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. It's baked in a tube
>> pan and since I never bake quick breads in a tube pan, I got to thinking
>> of it as a cake, which led to wondering what the distinction is between
>> cake and a sweet quick bread.

> Frosting?
>
> There's probably some fine points in the technique. IIRC, most
> quick breads are made with the muffin method, whereas cakes
> can use the creaming method or that other one whose name
> eludes me. I believe sponge cakes are made using the Nameless
> Method.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My first thought was the same: method. The muffin method...
Basically mix wet, mix dry, mix together. But also... in days of
yore, muffins, anyway, were not sweetened very much, and we won't
even speak of how they have grown in size. It seems to me that
now the terms "quick bread" and "muffins" are an excuse to eat
what is essentially cake or muffins for breakfast. They almost
always do seem to overlap, or even be identical, except for the
usual techniques and the textures that result from them.

--
Jean B.

Banana - cake and bread redux bob General Cooking 7 08-05-2009 04:49 PM
is that bread or cake? peter Baking 7 28-11-2006 06:09 AM
Flour?? Bread-AP-Cake Maab Baking 8 16-08-2004 11:57 AM
cooking bread/cake in a crockpot? Ctgwen Vegetarian cooking 1 05-02-2004 02:00 AM
Difference between bread and cake? Ben Baking 5 15-11-2003 06:43 AM