Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Banana - cake and bread redux

Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
Learning curves all the way.

I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.

I also made a banana cake using Rhonda's recipe. It was particularly
tasty.

After sampling each they all went to good non-weigh****cher homes and,
unless they're just being kind, they are being enjoyed by men, women
and children as I write. I almost changed my mind about giving away
Rhonda's cake, but relented when my wife gave me one of those looks
directed at my belt line.

One of the best things about all this is that I discovered that a
supermarket in town carries fresh buttermilk in smallish containers
and that it's always in stock. I'm freezing leftover buttermilk in a
new icecube tray I bought especially for that purpose.

So ... many thanks to all who have passed on recipes and suggestions.
Next time I'll try John's and Rusty's cake recipes. Our banana growing
friend rang last night to let me know that he's bringing over another
bunch over the weekend!!!

BTW - I ended up using new baking soda and even replaced the container
in the back fridge.

As someone once said, "You can never have enough baking soda."

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 7 May 2009 02:35:22 GMT, "l, not -l" > shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 6-May-2009, bob > wrote:
>
>> but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.

>Sugar Twin is a zero-calorie sugar substitute; in the US it's made with
>saccharin and cyclamates elsewhere. SugarTwin.com has a sugar measurement
>equivalence chart you could use to convert to sugar.

Thanks for the explanation. We have something similar here in New
Zealand, but I've never used it and don't know what it's called.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
bob > wrote:

> Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
> Learning curves all the way.
>
> I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
> elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
> one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
> MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.

Didn't know you were interested in banana bread, bob. This is good:

Banana Bread
Posted again to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 5-7-2009

1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
3 small or 2 large overripe (just this side of
fruit flies!) bananas (maybe a cup if you mashed then measured)
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In food processor bowl, process butter, sugar, sour cream, bananas, and
eggs until well mixed (maybe 10 seconds?), stopping once or so to scrape
down mixture from side of workbowl. Dump flour, soda, and nuts, if
using, on top and pulse-process 5-8 times to incorporate into mixture.

Pour into a 9x5x3" greased loaf pan and bake till done (about 50-60
minutes) at 350 degrees, or use two smaller loaf pans, about 5x7x2-1/2"
and bake 40-50 minutes. Toothpick inserted into center of loaf should
come out clean (or almost). Cool in pan(s) 10 minutes then remove from
pan(s) and finish cooling on cooling rack.

Notes: Source: Adapted from a recipe in the Minneapolis Tribune, 19xx.
Won a blue ribbon at the Fair in the 1980s.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob > wrote in
:

> Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
> Learning curves all the way.
>
> I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
> elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
> one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
> MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.
>
> I also made a banana cake using Rhonda's recipe. It was particularly
> tasty.
>
> After sampling each they all went to good non-weigh****cher homes and,
> unless they're just being kind, they are being enjoyed by men, women
> and children as I write. I almost changed my mind about giving away
> Rhonda's cake, but relented when my wife gave me one of those looks
> directed at my belt line.

It is a nice recipe(there are a few good recipes in that book).I should
make it again soon - I never keep it at home though :-) I take it into work
where it goes very quickly.

I've entered it in the local show a couple of times - got second prize both
times. Both times it came second to a cake that looked like it had never
been anywhere near a banana (pale yellow in colour). Might try again this
year - it's been a couple of years, perhaps that baker has left the area
:-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 07 May 2009 06:20:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In article >,
> bob > wrote:
>
>> Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
>> Learning curves all the way.
>>
>> I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
>> elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
>> one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
>> MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.

>Didn't know you were interested in banana bread, bob. This is good:

<recipe saved & snipped>

Hi Barb - Thanks for the recipe. I can see that the sour cream would
give it a nice taste boost and improve the texture.

Other than eat some banana cake other people have baked ... or an
attractive slice that called out to me in a cafe or coffee shop, I've
never been a banana cake aficionado or attempted to bake one before.

But now that we've got a daughter who grows Lady Finger bananas and a
good friend who grows even more of the same, we have suddenly found
ourselves with huge amounts of ripening bananas.

We've given loads of them away to friends who have growing kids and
I've frozen some peeled bananas for use in smoothies. Both Anne and I
have also been eating bananas every day for weeks - on cereal, in
fruit salads and on their own. Good thing we like bananas!

Even so, that has still left us with several dozen that needed to be
used and I hate waste. Besides, I make my own rye bread, so why not
try banana bread. (My cake attempt was a success ... the taste was
delicious ... but the texture wasn't as good as it could have been
because of an oven temperature issue I'll make accommodation for next
time).

And ... guess what? I was talking with our banana friend a couple of
nights ago and he's got another huge bunch (several hundred bananas)
that he's bringing over when they start to ripen. So I'll be giving
your recipe a go.

Cheers, Bob
--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:18:19 GMT, Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> bob > wrote in
> :
>
>> Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
>> Learning curves all the way.
>>
>> I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
>> elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
>> one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
>> MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.
>>
>> I also made a banana cake using Rhonda's recipe. It was particularly
>> tasty.
>>
>> After sampling each they all went to good non-weigh****cher homes and,
>> unless they're just being kind, they are being enjoyed by men, women
>> and children as I write. I almost changed my mind about giving away
>> Rhonda's cake, but relented when my wife gave me one of those looks
>> directed at my belt line.
>>

> It is a nice recipe(there are a few good recipes in that book).I should
> make it again soon - I never keep it at home though :-) I take it into work
> where it goes very quickly.
>
> I've entered it in the local show a couple of times - got second prize both
> times. Both times it came second to a cake that looked like it had never
> been anywhere near a banana (pale yellow in colour). Might try again this
> year - it's been a couple of years, perhaps that baker has left the area
> :-)

maybe you could spike it with rum or something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2009 11:08:09 +1200, bob wrote:

> On Thu, 07 May 2009 06:20:08 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>In article >,
>> bob > wrote:
>>
>>> Our kitchen has been turned into a bakery for the past few days.
>>> Learning curves all the way.
>>>
>>> I ended up making three loaves of banana bread using recipes from
>>> elsie.com, Mr Bill's and Jinx. All came out well, but the elsie.com
>>> one was a bit on the dry side. I would have used info's "Exported from
>>> MasterCook" recipe, but I couldn't figure out what "Sugar Twin" meant.

>>Didn't know you were interested in banana bread, bob. This is good:
>>

> <recipe saved & snipped>
>
> Hi Barb - Thanks for the recipe. I can see that the sour cream would
> give it a nice taste boost and improve the texture.
>
> Other than eat some banana cake other people have baked ... or an
> attractive slice that called out to me in a cafe or coffee shop, I've
> never been a banana cake aficionado or attempted to bake one before.
>
> But now that we've got a daughter who grows Lady Finger bananas and a
> good friend who grows even more of the same, we have suddenly found
> ourselves with huge amounts of ripening bananas.
>
> We've given loads of them away to friends who have growing kids and
> I've frozen some peeled bananas for use in smoothies. Both Anne and I
> have also been eating bananas every day for weeks - on cereal, in
> fruit salads and on their own. Good thing we like bananas!
>
> Even so, that has still left us with several dozen that needed to be
> used and I hate waste. Besides, I make my own rye bread, so why not
> try banana bread. (My cake attempt was a success ... the taste was
> delicious ... but the texture wasn't as good as it could have been
> because of an oven temperature issue I'll make accommodation for next
> time).
>
> And ... guess what? I was talking with our banana friend a couple of
> nights ago and he's got another huge bunch (several hundred bananas)
> that he's bringing over when they start to ripen. So I'll be giving
> your recipe a go.
>
> Cheers, Bob

well, it sez here that you can make beer:

<http://practicalaction.org/practicalanswers/product_info.php?products_id=68>

your pal,
blake