Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheapest dozen eggs in your area?

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 3:52:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed because of the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.

I bought eggs today, large ones >99 a dozen. at TJs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, cshenk1
> @cox.net says...
> >
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > In article >,
> > > cshenk1 @cox.net says...

> > > No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was
> > > no recipe.

> > Ok! Fair game! I just don't recall seeing it but that doesnt mean
> > it didnt come over in some places. The Japanese are fairly high on
> > the lactose intolerant side and generally like fishiness in fish ;-)

> I always get the impression from Iron Chef that the Japanese have the
> taste buds of old western folk. High standards, yes, but everything
> has to have a low flavour profile. No spice, not too much garlic,
> nothing that rocks the boat. Am I wrong?

I don't know as I would call it a low flavor profile, but it generaly
is a simpler less complex profile for the average food. They have
fancy ones, but the basics eaten are fresh (very fresh) veggies with a
bit of dashi and sparkle of something else minimally added. Fish
saucing can be complex but you make it in a jar for the next 2 weeks
and brush fish with it.

Thats a lot of what I recall. Umami, about balance.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 17:46:00 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
wrote:

> On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 3:52:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed because of the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.

> I bought eggs today, large ones >99 a dozen. at TJs.

Haven't seen 99 cents a dozen yet, although they're not too far over
$1. Rent is high here, so that's probably why.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:36:57 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2016 17:46:00 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 3:52:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > > I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed because of the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.

> > I bought eggs today, large ones >99 a dozen. at TJs.

> Haven't seen 99 cents a dozen yet, although they're not too far over
> $1. Rent is high here, so that's probably why.
>

> --
>
> sf

Yes, Texas is a lower cost state.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The cost of refrigeration must be more than the savings?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:45:35 AM UTC+5:30, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:45:35 AM UTC+5:30, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

yes

==

I think it might have gone up in the past 6 years

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My neighbor said that in N Ohio you can get a dozen eggs for 25 cents and a G of milk for $1.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:55:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:45:35 AM UTC+5:30, Kalmia wrote:
>> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
>> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
>> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
>> places.
>>
>> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
>> pound. Is this possible?

>yes
>
>==
>
>I think it might have gone up in the past 6 years

I can buy large eggs all year at 99¢/doz... chickens don't know what
date it is, they just keep laying.
I don't use ground turkey but if that's what I wanted I'd grind it
myself and turkey was 49¢/lb for Thanksgiving and doesn't cost much
more for Christmas and New Year. It's not that difficult to bone out
the part one wants to grind and then roast the rest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> That's not true at all, at least here in my area.
> Turkeys can be found at a very cheap price during
> Thanksgiving but only then. They never go back on sale
> for Christmas time and generally cost twice as much.

Yes, sort of like roses on Valentine's Day, the cost goes up considerably.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 05:13:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>My neighbor said that in N Ohio you can get a dozen eggs for 25 cents and a G of milk for $1.

The cheaper the eggs you buy, the bigger the damage to your karma.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 8:15:35 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

one word- ALDI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 8:15:35 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> I was reading an article - someone cooked for a week on a 40 dollar
> grocery bill. One item was eggs----99 cents. Oh yeah? I'd like to
> know where the writer lived. I must be shopping in all the wrong
> places.
>
> Another item I remember on the list was freezer ground turkey for 99 a
> pound. Is this possible?

ALDI

Posted to rec.food.cooking

They couldn't give me ground turkey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> They couldn't give me ground turkey.

I doubt anyone has ever offered to give you some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 13:24:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>They couldn't give me ground turkey.

Ground turkeyt is as baaad as lamb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I but cases when they are on sale as well
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> 98 cents a dozen for A Large at Aldi in STL. I have never seen a lower
> price than Aldi's price each week.

At my local Food Lion (not a national chain) this morning, I
bought a package of 18 x-large eggs for $1.45 plus tax.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The last eggs I bought were 2.49 a dozen for jumbo eggs. They do have nice bright yellow yolks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2018 10:40:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>l not -l wrote:
>>
>> 98 cents a dozen for A Large at Aldi in STL. I have never seen a lower
>> price than Aldi's price each week.

>At my local Food Lion (not a national chain) this morning, I
>bought a package of 18 x-large eggs for $1.45 plus tax.

A purely BS story. There's no tax on eggs... may as well say you paid
tax on a bag of onions. Gary is probably mistaking the tax he paid
for TP for wiping his skanky ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 3:08:37 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2018 10:40:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >At my local Food Lion (not a national chain) this morning, I
> >bought a package of 18 x-large eggs for $1.45 plus tax.

> A purely BS story. There's no tax on eggs... may as well say you paid
> tax on a bag of onions. Gary is probably mistaking the tax he paid
> for TP for wiping his skanky ass.

I hate to burst your egg yolk Sheldon, but food is taxed here. That
means eggs, milk, butter, steaks, potatoes, celery, cereal, canned
goods, etc. But unlike New Yawk, we have no state income tax.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 4:08:55 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2018 16:54:16 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
> >Think before you type.

> He lives in a very small world. Anything outside that world is not
> true.

Just like Ju-Ju.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 4:52:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I've shopped in several states, none taxed food, not even CA.
> You need to move from that faggoty state.

I, too, have shopped in other states that have no sales tax on food.
But the states that I did shop in have a state income tax. So, in
the end it all evens out. No need to move from one state to another
just because they do have a sales tax on food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2018 15:16:52 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 4:52:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I've shopped in several states, none taxed food, not even CA.
>> You need to move from that faggoty state.
>>

>I, too, have shopped in other states that have no sales tax on food.
>But the states that I did shop in have a state income tax. So, in
>the end it all evens out. No need to move from one state to another
>just because they do have a sales tax on food.

I think most states have a state income tax but very few have a sales
tax on food. However it doesn't even out as a tax on food penalizses
the less wealthy improportionatley.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I think most states have a state income tax but very few have a sales
> tax on food. However it doesn't even out as a tax on food penalizses
> the less wealthy improportionatley.

Seven states do not have a state income tax. Thirty-two states
exempt most food purchased for consumption at home from the state
sales tax. That's a bit over half that do not have a sales tax
on food items.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 6:05:54 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> It is my understanding, in TN (when I lived there, which was a long
> time) the reasoning for sales tax on food was because no income tax.

True.

> There was a tax on on clothing, too. I went to visit my aunt in
> Pennsylvania and bought a dress and was shocked - no sales tax! (That
> was around 1980). Sorry, but I think food and clothing are necessities
> and should not be taxed. But the laws vary from state to state and
> sometimes county to county.

There still is a tax on clothing as well as food. I was surprised when
I visited Pennsylvania there was no tax on clothing; food I don't remem-
ber.

> I was surprised to find there wasn't a tax on food here. In TN I seem
> to recall something around 9.25%.

Still is 9.25%. If they do away with the sales tax they'll just find
another tax for something else. People don't seem to realize when you
stop a tax on one item they've already researched what else can be taxed
in it's place or what can we jack the price up to in order to make up
for that lost revenue.

> There is a 6% sales tax, but not on food.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2018 16:24:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 6:12:53 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I buy from chewy.com, they have the lowest prices and no
>> tax, plus free shipping.
>>

>I looked at their prices when they sent me some junk mail. I was
>not impressed and that 'free shipping' is built into the price of
>the item you are buying. 'Free shipping' on orders over $49. But
>if you are happy with them and happy that you think you are actually
>receiving free shipping, keep ordering.

I don't know what you mean with free shipping for orders over $49, our
orders are well over $200. And their prices are far less than any
market, even less than Walmart. It's a pleasure having the order
delivered right to our door,,, 40 pound sacks of litter are no fun
lugging from the store.