Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cake Glaze Question

Goomba wrote:
> Ok, made a really *really* nice little banana-poppy seed cake tonight
> from the Technocolorkitchen website. It calls for a lemon glaze. Easy,
> right? Yet why on earth can I never get my cake glazes to thicken up
> and look like the pictures...? Mine remain too liquidy wet even after
> adding more sugar than the recipe originally calls for. I just think
> I'm missing something here..?
> Other than this the cake is delicious~!

I've always applied the lemon glaze to loaf cakes while the cake is still
warm. It melts the glaze, which sinks into the cake to some degree. Just
keep brushing it on, all round, including the sides. Eventually most of it
is absorbed and some remains on the top and firms up as the cake cools.

You won't get the visual effect of white sugar sitting on top of the cake,
if that's what you want, but it will be delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 May 2011 08:38:22 -0400, "Janet" >
wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
> > Ok, made a really *really* nice little banana-poppy seed cake tonight
> > from the Technocolorkitchen website. It calls for a lemon glaze. Easy,
> > right? Yet why on earth can I never get my cake glazes to thicken up
> > and look like the pictures...? Mine remain too liquidy wet even after
> > adding more sugar than the recipe originally calls for. I just think
> > I'm missing something here..?
> > Other than this the cake is delicious~!

> I've always applied the lemon glaze to loaf cakes while the cake is still
> warm. It melts the glaze, which sinks into the cake to some degree. Just
> keep brushing it on, all round, including the sides. Eventually most of it
> is absorbed and some remains on the top and firms up as the cake cools.
>
> You won't get the visual effect of white sugar sitting on top of the cake,
> if that's what you want, but it will be delicious.

The first trick is to add liquid slowly to the powered sugar and stop
when it's as thick as *you* want it to be. However, the last time I
iced a cake with lemon glaze (and had the same thoughts about
transparency), I concluded they're using a glaze made with milk to get
that white frosting-like glazed effect.