Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Organic Milk Question

I rarely drink a glass of milk, maybe once in the past ten years. I
do use milk in baking, so I used to buy those little six-packs of 1-
cup size boxes of "shelf milk" that do not require refrigeration until
they're opened because keeping even the small, one pint size of
refrigerated milk would too often sour before I'd use it up.

A friend that never cooks but does drink milk often with her micro'd
meals or sandwiches suggested I try refrigerated organic milk, and
that a half gallon of it lasts her more than a month. I tested my
first buy of "Horizon" brand organic well before my massive Christmas
2010 baking was to begin, and what a deal, with very good flavor! My
question is why does the organic milk have such a long good-use life
as compared to (what I'll call) plain ole fresh milk?
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 11:22*am, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> I rarely drink a glass of milk, maybe once in the past ten years. *I
> do use milk in baking, so I used to buy those little six-packs of 1-
> cup size boxes of "shelf milk" that do not require refrigeration until
> they're opened because keeping even the small, one pint size of
> refrigerated milk would too often sour before I'd use it up.
>
> A friend that never cooks but does drink milk often with her micro'd
> meals or sandwiches suggested I try refrigerated organic milk, and
> that a half gallon of it lasts her more than a month. *I tested my
> first buy of "Horizon" brand organic well before my massive Christmas
> 2010 baking was to begin, and what a deal, with very good flavor! *My
> question is why does the organic milk have such a long good-use life
> as compared to (what I'll call) plain ole fresh milk?
> ...Picky

High-temperature pasteurization, just like the whipping cream being
discussed in another thread.

It makes the make taste cooked, which isn't a problem for cooking,
but I don't like it for drinking.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
>I rarely drink a glass of milk, maybe once in the past ten years. I
> do use milk in baking, so I used to buy those little six-packs of 1-
> cup size boxes of "shelf milk" that do not require refrigeration until
> they're opened because keeping even the small, one pint size of
> refrigerated milk would too often sour before I'd use it up.
>
> A friend that never cooks but does drink milk often with her micro'd
> meals or sandwiches suggested I try refrigerated organic milk, and
> that a half gallon of it lasts her more than a month. I tested my
> first buy of "Horizon" brand organic well before my massive Christmas
> 2010 baking was to begin, and what a deal, with very good flavor! My
> question is why does the organic milk have such a long good-use life
> as compared to (what I'll call) plain ole fresh milk?
> ...Picky

If it's fresh, it doesn't!!
The only difference is that the cows have been fed on pastures that have
been certified as organic or their food supplements are similarly certified.
Also, they haven't been given any nasty stuff like hormones to increase
production.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 6:19*am, "graham" > wrote:
> "JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
> > I rarely drink a glass of milk, maybe once in the past ten years. *I
> > first buy of "Horizon" brand organic well before my massive Christmas
> > 2010 baking was to begin, and what a deal, with very good flavor! *My
> > question is why does the organic milk have such a long good-use life
> > as compared to (what I'll call) plain ole fresh milk?
> > ...Picky

And Graham responds with....
> If it's fresh, it doesn't!!
> The only difference is that the cows have been fed on pastures that have
> been certified as organic or their food supplements are similarly certified.
> Also, they haven't been given any nasty stuff like hormones to increase
> production.

Graham, I am confused here. If what is fresh, it doesn't what?
I have proven that a quart of plain ole milk lasts less than two weeks
after opening and refrigerating, while with the same open-refrigerate
organic milk lasts well over a month, maybe even close to two months
before souring or taste loss.

Cindy, your tell and comment on "High-temperature pasteurization, just
like the whipping cream being discussed in another thread. It makes
the make taste cooked, which isn't a problem for cooking, but I don't
like it for drinking." seems to be the logic I was needing. I keep
milk on hand pretty much just for cooking, though about once a week I
use it for cold cerea or hot oats nd I am quite happy with the taste
in those.

Thank you all, Picky