Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Five Guys vs. In-and-Out

Article about the looming battle for the hearts and
arteries of Southern California.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...390,full.story

I guess Five Guys can smell the weakness at In-and-Out
since the granddaughter took over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Article about the looming battle for the hearts and
> arteries of Southern California.
>
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...390,full.story
>
> I guess Five Guys can smell the weakness at In-and-Out
> since the granddaughter took over.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012901026.html

She's going to ruin the company. She's been described as a power mad idiot
who won't listen to anyone. It's a real shame because we have so very few
iconic anything in this country anymore. Even a damn burger stand fades
into oblivion.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message

>> 20110408,0,2751390,ful

>> dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006
>>>

>>> She's going to ruin the company. She's been described as a power mad
>>> idiot who won't listen to anyone. It's a real shame because we have
>>> so very few iconic anything in this country anymore. Even a damn
>>> burger stand fades into oblivion.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> I ate at In'n'Out maybe a handful of times.
>>
>> I thought the flavor was nothing short of bland!
>>
>> Fatburger or Jack-in-the-Box had more flavor and fixings.
>>
>> Whatever happens to In'n'Out, they were on a downhill slide long before
>> the daughter took over.
>>
>> Five Guys opened up at a nearby stripmall but are in one of the worst
>> locations in the place. I've never been. No drive-thru and, I've never
>> seen a TV commercial for them.

> I have never eaten at an In'n Out. The pictures of the food and
> descriptions I have heard about just didn't sound appealing.

I love them and I am a serious burger aficionado. Back before I was
diabetic I'd eat there once a week and always got the strawberry shake with
it. I just love their burgers. One big consideration is how old the stand
is. They use seasoned grills which can take a long time to build up the
proper patina which lends so much to the flavor. The one near me is at
least 30 years old.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> 20110408,0,2751390,ful

>>> dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006

>>> I ate at In'n'Out maybe a handful of times.
>>>
>>> I thought the flavor was nothing short of bland!
>>>
>>> Fatburger or Jack-in-the-Box had more flavor and fixings.
>>>
>>> Whatever happens to In'n'Out, they were on a downhill slide long before
>>> the daughter took over.
>>>
>>> Five Guys opened up at a nearby stripmall but are in one of the worst
>>> locations in the place. I've never been. No drive-thru and, I've never
>>> seen a TV commercial for them.

>> I have never eaten at an In'n Out. The pictures of the food and
>> descriptions I have heard about just didn't sound appealing.
>>

> I love them and I am a serious burger aficionado. Back before I was
> diabetic I'd eat there once a week and always got the strawberry shake
> with it. I just love their burgers. One big consideration is how old the
> stand is. They use seasoned grills which can take a long time to build up
> the proper patina which lends so much to the flavor. The one near me is
> at least 30 years old.

Burgers are not a favorite food. I do eat them but without the bun. I know
they do a lettuce wrap there, but I don't like lettuce wrapped around a hot
burger. All that does is wilt it.

My impression of the food there was that it was really big. Maybe that's
not the case. Maybe only some of the food is big. I don't know. That's
just the impression I got from the people I know who ate there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> I have never eaten at an In'n Out. The pictures of the food and
>>> descriptions I have heard about just didn't sound appealing.
>>>

>> I love them and I am a serious burger aficionado. Back before I was
>> diabetic I'd eat there once a week and always got the strawberry shake
>> with it. I just love their burgers. One big consideration is how old
>> the stand is. They use seasoned grills which can take a long time to
>> build up the proper patina which lends so much to the flavor. The one
>> near me is at least 30 years old.

> Burgers are not a favorite food. I do eat them but without the bun. I
> know they do a lettuce wrap there, but I don't like lettuce wrapped around
> a hot burger. All that does is wilt it.
>
> My impression of the food there was that it was really big. Maybe that's
> not the case. Maybe only some of the food is big. I don't know. That's
> just the impression I got from the people I know who ate there.

The burgers aren't *that* big. I'd say about as big as your average burger
joint.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:41:19 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Andy >
wrote,
>"What biblical chapter:verse on the bottom of In'n'Out soda cups is
>claimed to be "the Gospel in Scripture?" Answer: John 3:16. I didn't
>like them pushing their religious beliefs on unknowing customers.

Not much of a push; you have to look very closely to spot it. As a
customer it doesn't bother me. It would be a point against them if
I was thinking of working there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:53:42 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Julie Bove"
> wrote,
>They opened an Five Guys near here. No drive-thru and there is always a
>long line of people in there. I assume they are good but unless they change
>from using peanut oil, we won't be eating there.

One time I was in an In-and-Out and I saw a sign stating that their
fries were cooked in pure cottonseed oil. More recently I haven't
seen the sign. My parents are from cotton growing country, and I
never thought that cooking with cottonseed oil was anything to brag
about. But at least I guess it wouldn't bother people with peanut
allergies.

Peanut oil is popular because of its high temperature smoke point.
Is cottonseed oil actually good stuff?

Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I have never eaten at an In'n Out. The pictures of the food and
>> descriptions I have heard about just didn't sound appealing.
>>
>> They opened an Five Guys near here. No drive-thru and there is always
>> a long line of people in there. I assume they are good but unless
>> they change from using peanut oil, we won't be eating there.

> Julie,
>
> In'n'Out excelled in organization and procedure, not to mention
> gimmicks, but left quality at the door, imho. You're not missing out.
>
> BTW, "Cash Cab" the Discovery Channel game show just yesterday asked
> "What biblical chapter:verse on the bottom of In'n'Out soda cups is
> claimed to be "the Gospel in Scripture?" Answer: John 3:16. I didn't
> like them pushing their religious beliefs on unknowing customers.
>
> About Five Guys, the peanut oil is just for the french fries and onion
> rings, right?

Yes, but... Those would be the things I would want to eat. Not so much the
burgers. Heh! I can have the peanut oil but I think it would be rather
cruel to eat those in front of my daughter since she can't have them.

Her new favorite place is Bob's Burger and Brew. They're a chain but I
don't know if they have any outside of this area. Not fast food but not
fine dining either.

I like them because they have a raw veggie appetizer that comes with your
choice of dressing. We get the Italian.

I have not tried the burgers there although they list quite a variety on the
menu. They also have Ciabatta sandwiches and a variety of salads. I get
the small taco salad. It comes with those tri-colored chips. I don't know
what it is that they put in the red ones but they just don't appeal to me.
I don't eat the chips. Doesn't matter. I just pick them off and somebody
usually eats them. They will do a plain chicken breast for my daughter.
The chicken is an option on any of their burgers and I think they also have
veggie burgers. Choice of fries, Jojos and possibly onion rings. I know
they do onion rings because my dad got one on his burger. They also have a
ton of appetizers, including wings. And they have a big screen TV in one
room and will put it on any channel you request. They also have a choice of
TWO diet drinks.

When we lived in CA, I sometimes went to Carl's. I don't think I ever tried
the food. My daughter liked the chicken stars when she was just learning to
eat real foods. She didn't actually like to *eat* them mind you. She just
had a fascination with shapes. A small order of those would keep her
occupied at her little high chair for about an hour. She may have eaten one
or part of one, but mostly she just played with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> The burgers aren't *that* big. I'd say about as big as your average
> burger joint.

Oh! I stand corrected then. My husband and his friends used to talk of
some huge burger that they had there and that is why they wanted to go
there. They seem to be part of that crowd that loves big food. Doesn't
seem to matter if the food actually tastes good or not just so long as it is
big! I assumed all of the portions would be huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My impression of the food there was that it was really big. Maybe that's
>> not the case. Maybe only some of the food is big. I don't know. That's
>> just the impression I got from the people I know who ate there.

> I've never been there either, but I saw a segment on TV
> about the company which showed their burgers on the griddle,
> and they looked big to me. I haven't eaten a burger
> in about 30 years, so I'm not the least bit tempted
> to try one.

Since I just eat the patties, it's far cheaper for me just to eat them at
home. I buy the precooked ones at Costco. They are good and they are cheap
when I buy them there. Yeah, it would be cheaper to cook them from raw
meat. And I do that sometimes, but they really are pretty cheap if bought
at Costco.

We don't eat much in the way of fast food. When we do eat there it is
usually either a Mexican place (but not Taco Bell) or we get salad and fruit
and just a little something else to round out the meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:53:42 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote,
>>They opened an Five Guys near here. No drive-thru and there is always a
>>long line of people in there. I assume they are good but unless they
>>change
>>from using peanut oil, we won't be eating there.

> One time I was in an In-and-Out and I saw a sign stating that their
> fries were cooked in pure cottonseed oil. More recently I haven't
> seen the sign. My parents are from cotton growing country, and I
> never thought that cooking with cottonseed oil was anything to brag
> about. But at least I guess it wouldn't bother people with peanut
> allergies.
>
> Peanut oil is popular because of its high temperature smoke point.
> Is cottonseed oil actually good stuff?
>
> Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
> lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

My daughter has a peanut allergy so can't have it. There is another little
restaurant (not fast food) near my parent's house that also uses peanut oil.
But I think most places use soybean for frying. I just assumed the used it
because it was cheap. I don't really know the reason.

I do remember the old time McDonald's fries from when I was a kid. Those
were the only fries I would eat. Not sure it was lard though. I think it
was beef fat. They were good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I do remember the old time McDonald's fries from when I was a kid. Those
>> were the only fries I would eat. Not sure it was lard though. I think
>> it
>> was beef fat. They were good.

> It was equal parts of both. I don't know
> when they switched, but I think it was about
> 20 years ago. I believe it was widespread
> concern about saturated fat that got them
> to abandon the old recipe.

Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My impression of the food there was that it was really big. Maybe that's
> not the case. Maybe only some of the food is big. I don't know. That's
> just the impression I got from the people I know who ate there.

I've never been there either, but I saw a segment on TV
about the company which showed their burgers on the griddle,
and they looked big to me. I haven't eaten a burger
in about 30 years, so I'm not the least bit tempted
to try one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

> Is cottonseed oil actually good stuff?

Properly made, it's bland and makes a good
frying oil. Raw cottonseed oil has to be
purified to be edible. David Wesson discovered
the first commercial process to do this,
turning waste cottonseed into a valuable
commodity. Some southern towns had laws
against dumping cottonseed before this process
was invented.

I've heard that one strike against cottonseed
oil is that it has higher levels of pesticide
residues than other vegetable oils, because
cotton is heavily sprayed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I do remember the old time McDonald's fries from when I was a kid. Those
> were the only fries I would eat. Not sure it was lard though. I think it
> was beef fat. They were good.

It was equal parts of both. I don't know
when they switched, but I think it was about
20 years ago. I believe it was widespread
concern about saturated fat that got them
to abandon the old recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message

>> 20110408,0,2751390,ful

>> dyn/content/article/2006/01/29/AR2006
>>>

>>> She's going to ruin the company. She's been described as a power mad
>>> idiot who won't listen to anyone. It's a real shame because we have
>>> so very few iconic anything in this country anymore. Even a damn
>>> burger stand fades into oblivion.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> I ate at In'n'Out maybe a handful of times.
>>
>> I thought the flavor was nothing short of bland!
>>
>> Fatburger or Jack-in-the-Box had more flavor and fixings.
>>
>> Whatever happens to In'n'Out, they were on a downhill slide long before
>> the daughter took over.
>>
>> Five Guys opened up at a nearby stripmall but are in one of the worst
>> locations in the place. I've never been. No drive-thru and, I've never
>> seen a TV commercial for them.

> I have never eaten at an In'n Out. The pictures of the food and
> descriptions I have heard about just didn't sound appealing.

In-n-Out was Julia Child's favorite burger place.

> They opened an Five Guys near here. No drive-thru and there is always a
> long line of people in there. I assume they are good but unless they
> change from using peanut oil, we won't be eating there.

Tons of calories at Five Guys.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Article about the looming battle for the hearts and
> arteries of Southern California.
>
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...390,full.story
>
> I guess Five Guys can smell the weakness at In-and-Out
> since the granddaughter took over.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012901026.html

This is a silly statement from the article: "Five Guys executives insist
they're not out to complete with In-N-Out, which started in Baldwin Park in
1948." Hell, isn't competition the whole point?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2011 8:07 PM, David Harmon wrote:

> Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
> lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

Not lard - beef fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 02:42:30 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> This is a silly statement from the article: "Five Guys executives insist
> they're not out to complete with In-N-Out, which started in Baldwin Park in
> 1948." Hell, isn't competition the whole point?

I suppose they said that to cover their butts if they fall flat on
their faces in SoCal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:08:31 -0500, Hell Toupee >
wrote:

>> Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
>> lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

>Not lard - beef fat.

The experts tout duck fat.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:08:31 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Hell Toupee
> wrote,
>On 4/12/2011 8:07 PM, David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
>> lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

>Not lard - beef fat.

Yes, that's right. Or a mix. Thanks for the correction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hell Toupee wrote:
> David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Of course, everybody knows that the best tasting fries are cooked in
>> lard. Perhaps that is what you are holding out for.

> Not lard - beef fat.

I'll see your four legged oil and raise you feathered oil - Rendered
duck or goose fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> This is a silly statement from the article: "Five Guys executives insist
> they're not out to complete with In-N-Out, which started in Baldwin Park in
> 1948."

There's a line from MacBeth - Prince of Cumberland. That's a step which
I must stumble upon or o'rleap it.

It's about the office that was held by the hier to the throne of
Scotland at the time of the story. MacBeth aspired to be the King and
he had little interest in passing through a stage of being the heir
apparent.

Competing with a chain not that much bigger than they are is called
dreaming small. They want to dream big so they are out to compete with
Carls Jr which is called Hardees in the Central and Eastern time zones.

Is Tea bad for Guys? jimmyleo Tea 15 05-10-2013 02:55 PM
Five Guys vs. In'N'Out aem General Cooking 23 10-05-2011 12:39 AM
Hey guys Sebaone Barbecue 5 17-10-2009 05:38 PM
you guys are right... mikel Barbecue 1 09-10-2006 02:44 AM
You guys ... Nancy Young General Cooking 20 08-11-2003 01:43 AM