Dale Williams

Default TN: St-Em disappointment, dry Furmint, more

Betsy was away this weekend, I had a few friends over as I grilled. As we
chatted, we munched on smoked salmon and olives, and sipped the 2002 Clos Roche
Blanche Sauvignon (Touraine). As usual, a QPR winner. Excellent citrus fruit,
some damp stone on the finish, buy more. B+

With grilled shell steaks, squash, asparagus, and non-grilled salad, a trio of
wines featuring Bordeaux varietals:
1997 Pavie-Macquin (St. Émilion Grand Cru Classé)
I have pretty much finished the '97s in my cellar, and in general don't have
urge to add more. But a few weeks ago Gary's sent out a flyer offering the
Pavie-Macquin at $25, about $10 less than I had paid, and about half of release
price. As the Pavie-Mac had been one of the better '97s I had tried, I got 3.
Then I read a very negative note on BWE (from someone who had bought from the
Gary's sale). Uh-oh. I decanted hour before dinner (setting aside a 1/4 bottle
in a little 187ml ). With the steaks, this seems far less weighty that a bottle
a few months ago. Simple blackberry fruit, light cedar, few tannins. I've
never had a problem with Gary's before, but I have to wonder re storage on this
recent special. Doesn't taste actually cooked, but I wonder if maybe this
bottle sat at 70-75° for last 4 years. It's really hard to judge from one
bottle. Is it a storage issue, bottle variation, wine shutting down, or my
crappy palate? B-

1999 Justin Isoceles (Paso Robles)
Somewhat oaky, ripe dark fruit. Nose of chocolate and berries. Fairly deep
flavors, but the sweetness of the fruit is just a little offputting to me. But
nice tannic structure. A nice steak match. B+

2001 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon
Lots of oak, lots of tannins. Again, both are helped by the steak. Minty/herbal
nose. And again, a fruit profile that heads towards the sweet on the palate. B

We continued contemplating the reds while arguing (well, jousting) over local
issues and enjoying some fruit and cheese (Munster, Mahon, and Humboldt Fog).
And opened the 2002 Jackson-Triggs Proprietors's Reserve Vidal Icewine. (I
think this is Niagara). Sweet, apricot fruit. OK acidity, but not the zippy
acidity of a German Eiswein. Ultimately a bit short and simple. But pleasing to
the sweettooth crowd. B

Saturday I had a quiet night (after a busy day, sorry Mark never made it to CSW
tasting), did sample some leftover Isoceles and Pavie-Mac. Isoceles showed a
bit better, the St. Émilion was the same.

Sunday some friends came for dinner, and brought the food (they wanted to visit
the Basset, and their cat doesn't like Lucy in her space)! While we started
grill, enjoyed some baba ganoush and the 2003 Anselmi San Vincenzo. Clean white
fruit, a hint of nuttiness, medium-bodied, and with a nice mineral finish. B++

With the chicken in a cilantro sauce, rice noodles, and a Thai salad, the 2001
Heidi Schrock Furmint (Rust, Burgenland). Nose of honeysuckle flowers and
earth, plenty of acidity, flavors of applesauce and apricot. At various times I
think it reminds me of a Greco di Tufo or a dry Alsace muscat (though more
acidic than most). Nice wine, though I think it could use a little think to
settle down. B+, with some A- potential.

Betsy is finally home Monday, and stops by Balducci's/Hayday for dinner
fixings. She is slightly dismayed on unpacking to find that when she asked for
D'Artagnan poussins she got cornish gamehens, but is REALLY dismayed when a
rotten odor accompanies the opening of the birds. This is about the 3rd time in
last year we've gotten bad poultry from a top-dollar store. Grrrrrr. I dash to
a closer store, find a couple more game hens, and throw on the grill. Betsy
bastes with a barbecue sauce, we also grill asparagus and corn. A pasta salad
completes an al fresco feast. The wine is the inexpensive 2000 Cline Syrah
(California). Nice dark berry fruit, a little spice, mostly resolved tannins.
Could use some more acidity, but not bad for $7. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

>I was a little disappointed that you didn't try my pairing suggestion:
> what, you didn't feel like a little celery-cheese quiche? But also
>relieved, as I read your subject line to mean that I (Em) had
>disappointed you with bad suggestions for dry Furmint pairings. Whew!
>
>So how was your pairing

Hey, I did file away mentally your pairing suggestions (at least
Wienerschnitzel and roasted pork with quince)! But sometimes when something is
in fridge chilling you just decide to try.

In this case match wasn't bad. The friend who made is an ethnomusicologist,
with special interest in Asia, and makes lots of Asian dishes. This chicken
marinade was heavy on cilantro, light on other spices, with some lime. I liked
wine enough to get more, will report on next pairing!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dunn disappointment lleichtman Wine 4 28-05-2011 04:52 AM
big disappointment sf[_9_] General Cooking 57 08-04-2011 03:48 PM
Furmint Grape Vines Sought Pavel314 Winemaking 20 13-07-2008 03:50 PM
Pleasant disappointment? Andy General Cooking 49 11-05-2005 07:22 PM
Food for dry Furmint (Austrian) Dale Williams Wine 3 11-06-2004 08:56 PM