Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

Default Cider disappointment

I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
Long Island.

This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Curly Sue wrote:
> I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
> Long Island.
>
> This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
> enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
> cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I don't know what your weather has been like, but when we lived on the
east coast, we found that cider didn't have much of a bite to it until
after a frost or two. Frost also sweetened brussels sprouts.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:35:50 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
>> Long Island.
>>
>> This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
>> enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
>> cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>I don't know what your weather has been like, but when we lived on the
>east coast, we found that cider didn't have much of a bite to it until
>after a frost or two. Frost also sweetened brussels sprouts.
>
>gloria p

Thanks... that might be it. It's been rather warm.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hairy

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
> Long Island.
>
> This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
> enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
> cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I'm partial to Dickens' Cider.
http://www.audiocomedy.net/fakeads/dickens.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.

Curly Sue wrote:

> I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
> Long Island.
>
> This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
> enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
> cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I assume this wasn't pasteurized? If it was, you have your
answer.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:10:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>
>> I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
>> Long Island.
>>
>> This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
>> enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
>> cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>I assume this wasn't pasteurized? If it was, you have your
>answer.

That might be it, but I've had Macs with more flavor!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:10:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>

>>Curly Sue wrote:
>>

>>>I picked up some cider yesterday from a normally-good cider stand on
>>>Long Island.
>>>
>>>This year's batch is sweet and mild like sturdy apple juice (not
>>>enough Macs?). I'm not looking for hard (alcoholic) cider, but I like
>>>cider with a bite and this stuff does not ring my chimes.
>>>
>>>Sue(tm)
>>>Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>>I assume this wasn't pasteurized? If it was, you have your
>>answer.

> That might be it, but I've had Macs with more flavor!
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Here in Mass. it is really hard to get unpasteurized cider.
You sometimes can get it at an apple farm. The pasteurized
stuff is soooo lacking in flavor. Might just as well be
cloudy apple juice....

BTW, I ran into something on your site in the course of doing
a search. Do you collect cookbooks? I need to talk to
someone about some aspects of that....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 09:45:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Curly Sue?

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:21:41 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>>Curly Sue wrote:

> <snip>
>>BTW, I ran into something on your site in the course of doing
>>a search. Do you collect cookbooks? I need to talk to
>>someone about some aspects of that....
>>
>>--
>>Jean B.

> I have a lot of cookbooks but I don't collect them systematically as a
> collector would do.

Sue, there doesn't have to be a system. :-) If you have a "bunch" of
cookbooks, I think that makes you a collector.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.

Curly Sue wrote:

> I have a lot of cookbooks but I don't collect them systematically as a
> collector would do.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Hmmmm. Not clear you would have the answers then--if there
are answers.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Sue, there doesn't have to be a system. :-) If you have a "bunch" of
> cookbooks, I think that makes you a collector.

Well, I think there may be collecting--and Collecting. I am
crossing the line....

--
Jean B.

Dunn disappointment lleichtman Wine 4 28-05-2011 04:52 AM
big disappointment sf[_9_] General Cooking 57 08-04-2011 03:48 PM
A big SF Chinatown disappointment Space Cowboy Tea 0 27-09-2010 02:07 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Pleasant disappointment? Andy General Cooking 49 11-05-2005 07:22 PM