Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cowboy Caviar

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 07:37:06 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> When you say fried--- is that 'deep fried' - or crisped up in a very
> hot pan without much oil?

Use half an inch to a whole inch of oil. Just eyeball it to one third
and no more than half way up the side of the pan. You just need
enough oil for your chips to float. A cast iron pan is great for
this. You'll also be seasoning the pan by default while you fry, so
it's a twofer. Have newspaper spread out with a layer of paper towel
on top. Transfer your chips over as they crisp up. The oil is hot
when you can put a triangle in and it starts sizzling. I do mine on
medium heat, but my stove is hot and I don't cook anything above
medium.

> One of these days I'm going to pick up a press and make some
> tortillas. None of the commercial ones that I see do much for
> me.
>
> The only chips I keep in the house are the Medallion corn chips from
> Sam's. They should go well with this.

It's a good way to use up tortillas if you bought the "tall" package
because the price was too good not to... or use up tortillas that are
getting stale. My favorite is corn. I've never made chips out of
wheat.

Cowboy Stew Tara General Cooking 4 01-10-2014 01:32 PM
My first cowboy chili donny General Cooking 43 05-02-2009 04:35 PM
Cowboy Supper Alexa Randel Recipes (moderated) 0 17-04-2008 03:20 AM
Cowboy Cookies Maureen Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2005 02:55 AM
Aubergine Caviar (Poor Man's Caviar) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2004 02:18 PM