Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Two Breakfasts

Yesterday I went to the farmers' market in the morning. Among other
things, I bought a bunch of collard greens. For breakfast when I got
home, I melted butter and safflower oil together, then stir-fried the
collards with salt and pepper. When the collards were tender (maybe
three or four minutes of cooking), I removed them to a serving bowl,
then cooked two eggs over easy in the pan liquor. Very nice. You
always expect to see collard greens paired with pork fat and smoke,
but it turns out they're great with butter too.

This morning I mashed half an avocado with more butter. (I'm using up
the butter I made a week ago.) The avocado compound butter was put on
a couple toasted English muffin halves. Then I finely shredded some
cooked brisket and pan-fried it with a bit of oil until crisp, which
makes the Cuban dish called "vaca frita." The "fried cow" went on top
of the avocado butter. Then each muffin half was topped with a poached
egg. OMG, y'all, that was so good I could have cartwheeled for joy.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:58:11 -0700, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> This morning I mashed half an avocado with more butter. (I'm using up
> the butter I made a week ago.) The avocado compound butter was put on
> a couple toasted English muffin halves. Then I finely shredded some
> cooked brisket and pan-fried it with a bit of oil until crisp, which
> makes the Cuban dish called "vaca frita." The "fried cow" went on top
> of the avocado butter. Then each muffin half was topped with a poached
> egg. OMG, y'all, that was so good I could have cartwheeled for joy.

That *does* sound good!