Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best oil for fried potatoes?

What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
in a skillet?

Healthy is good too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

I use olive. I'm eating some now. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

> wrote in message
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

I use olive. I'm eating some now. Yum!

Reading the replies, I see many suggested oils for frying, but how about the
potatoes themselves?......Which are the best varieties to fry?

By the way, I haven't experimented with different varieties of oils to fry
in.....I usually use Canola or Rice Bran Oil for frying in general, and
occasionally Olive oil, though not for chips...

BB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" Bigbazza" <bazz@ this.invalid.net> wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message
>

> > wrote in message
>> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
>> in a skillet?
>>
>> Healthy is good too!

> I use olive. I'm eating some now. Yum!
>

> Reading the replies, I see many suggested oils for frying, but how about
> the potatoes themselves?......Which are the best varieties to fry?
>
> By the way, I haven't experimented with different varieties of oils to fry
> in.....I usually use Canola or Rice Bran Oil for frying in general, and
> occasionally Olive oil, though not for chips...

I've used all kinds. Probably my favorites are the regular old Russets
without skin, or Yukon Gold with skin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:48:10 +1100, " Bigbazza" <bazz@
this.invalid.net> wrote:

> Reading the replies, I see many suggested oils for frying, but how about the
> potatoes themselves?......Which are the best varieties to fry?

It's all a matter of what you're looking for. Russets are the
classic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have. Other
times though, I do them a little different. I cook the potatoes in the
microwave until nearly done. Then I cut them into thick slices and fry them
in a mix of butter and oil until they get a nice outside crust. Season with
a mix of salt, garlic powder, oregano, and rosemary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have.

I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp

But how healthy IS peanut oil?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 12:52*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:02:51 -0600, Janet Wilder
>
> > wrote:

> > > I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp

> > > But how healthy IS peanut oil?

> > It's one of the good ones, I think.

> I think the three to use are peanut, canola and corn oil, because
> they're monounsaturated or something like that.

Corn is way too high in polyunsaturates. Canola and olive are the
healthiest, but I dislike the taste of canola, and don't want the
taste of olive in fried stuff, so it's peanut. A little chicken (or
other fowl), or bacon fat added is nice.

--Bryan

Senior Member

Location: WI

Generally, I like Sunflower oil and wish it would again come to prominance over that Canola crapola. I hate the smell, taste, whole deal.

That said, I like dick fat (as mentioned) or chicken or turkey fat. If you're sauteeing or brasing, those fowl fats are great.

Red potatoes braise well and Yukon golds bake and fry well.

Still, when deep frying, the trick is to fry them twice at different temperatures.

Never lose with bacon grease or home-rendered lard. That white crap in the store don't cut it. Straight up pork fat is heaven.

It should stillb e said that you can bake potatoes to a wonderful flavor and avoid the major fat.

I've really rediscovered baking things like parsnips and kohlrabi this year. Makes my day.

Last edited by Gorio : 06-03-2011 at 03:23 AM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>>For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have.

> I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp
>
> But how healthy IS peanut oil?

You're talking fried potatoes, dude. What's this with "healthy"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 12:04*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> >>For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have.

> > I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp

> > But how healthy IS peanut oil?

> You're talking fried potatoes, dude. *What's this with "healthy"?

What's the health concern? Carbs in potatoes? Acrylamide?

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrryan wrote:

>On Mar 4, 12:04*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp

>> > But how healthy IS peanut oil?

>> You're talking fried potatoes, dude. *What's this with "healthy"?

>What's the health concern? Carbs in potatoes? Acrylamide?
>
>--Bwrrrryan

There is no way fried potatoes are ever part of a healthful diet...
'bout the only thing worse is fried eggplant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 7:37*pm, wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> >For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have. *

> I've heard peanut oil since it has high smoke temp
>
> But how healthy IS peanut oil?

After olive oil, and canola oil, peanut oil has the next most
monounsaturated fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 3, 7:33*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have. *Other
> times though, I do them a little different. I cook the potatoes in the
> microwave until nearly done. *Then I cut them into thick slices and fry them
> in a mix of butter and oil until they get a nice outside crust. *Season with
> a mix of salt, garlic powder, oregano, and rosemary.

I love leftover baked potatoes sliced thick and fried in butter gently
till they are golden and crusty.
I season them the same way you do. They are really good for
breakfast with an easy over egg and some
bacon or sausage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

> wrote:
><
>> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
>> in a skillet?

>For regular slice and fry, I use whatever vegetable oil we have. Other
>times though, I do them a little different. I cook the potatoes in the
>microwave until nearly done. Then I cut them into thick slices and fry them
>in a mix of butter and oil until they get a nice outside crust. Season with
>a mix of salt, garlic powder, oregano, and rosemary.

I use a half n' half blend of olive oil and butter... I don't do deep
frying anymore so I don't keep any generic vegetable oils, I keep only
various olive oils and sunflower oil... I think sunflower oil (not
safflower) is far better than peanut oil for stir frying. But rather
than sliced I make the spuds into a medium dice (~1/2"), I find diced
much easier to toss in a pan for even cooking without their breaking
up into home fries... and when cooked over low heat at the start they
cook through without having to precook, then when half tender raise
the heat to increase the browning. That's what I did yesterday for
potatoes and eggs. I reserve sliced spuds to cook in the oven in
caseroles or to bake browned and puffed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 8:02*pm, wrote:
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

==
Best by far is salted butter or butter with a bit of lard. Butter is
my favorite, just don't turn the heat too high or the butter will
burn. Need a bit of ground pepper as well.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

Corn oil, or a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 12:03*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> > in a skillet?

> > Healthy is good too!

> Corn oil, or a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil.

Corn oil is too high in omega 6 to be healthy. Canola is not
"neutral" to many people, and "vegetable" means soybean, which is also
high in omega 6, and tastes crappy. You don't know very much about
frying, do you?

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 9:02*pm, wrote:
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?

Bacon grease, aka Hog renderin's. Not good for you. Not a damn bit.
But it does wonders for anything you cook in it. Especially taters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 22:21:20 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 9:02*pm, wrote:
> > What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> > in a skillet?

> Bacon grease, aka Hog renderin's. Not good for you. Not a damn bit.
> But it does wonders for anything you cook in it. Especially taters.

Does the term "lard ass" ring a bell?

<running>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley > wrote:
>Lard is best for flavor but I use canola oil or peanut oil

instead.

What if someone of us actually dislike lard's flavor?

Orlando
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 12:04*pm, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
> >Lard is best for flavor but I use canola oil or peanut oil

> instead.
>
> What if someone of us actually dislike lard's flavor?

Do you mean the flavor of the brick packaged stuff readily available
in stores? If the only cheese you tried was the similarly packaged
Velveeta, would you say you disliked cheese flavor?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:12:10 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 12:04*pm, Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
>> George Shirley > wrote:
>> >Lard is best for flavor but I use canola oil or peanut oil

>> instead.
>>
>> What if someone of us actually dislike lard's flavor?

>Do you mean the flavor of the brick packaged stuff readily available
>in stores? If the only cheese you tried was the similarly packaged
>Velveeta, would you say you disliked cheese flavor?

Your Velveeta example is not a good analogy... lard is available in
several grades.
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food...23&submit.y=14
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>>Lard is best for flavor but I use canola oil or peanut oil
>> instead.

> What if someone of us actually dislike lard's flavor?

It is strictly verbotten to hold a minority opinion in personal tastes.
It is punishable by being forced to eat meals at McDonalds until you
relent. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 9:02*pm, wrote:
> What do you guys think is best oil for frying potatoes
> in a skillet?
>
> Healthy is good too!

Well, since you said oil, I will say I like Olive oil! But my favorite
way to fry potatoes is in Bacon Grease!!
Rosie