Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Autism and hormones injected into beef, chicken etc...

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:07:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't think Goomba was suggesting that Barbara be the hall monitor for
>> enforcement, only that she could reasonably be expected to know district
>> or state policy about it. <shrug>

> Parent's personal choice is/was none of my business.

So you're saying you didn't know some students in schools are not
vaccinated? As a parent, not a teacher, you never read or heard anything
about vaccinations that just stuck in those vast, deep memory banks to
be drawn on later??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:07:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think Goomba was suggesting that Barbara be the hall monitor for
>>> enforcement, only that she could reasonably be expected to know district
>>> or state policy about it. <shrug>

>> Parent's personal choice is/was none of my business.

> Their unvaccinated "Typhoid Marys" are a threat to you directly, so they
> are your business. They are especially a hazard when they travel to
> other countries with their parents and bring back diseases that are
> normally not found in the US.

Hey, lets talk Typhoid Mary! Interesting topic and food related! She was
an Irish cook who was an unknown carrier of typhus and passed it along
unknowingly to the families that she cooked for. She was first traced
to the problem while cooking for a wealthy family in Oyster Bay, LI, NY.
The Health Department fought to convince her of her infection but she
swore she never had it. Poor hygiene practices allowed her to keep
passing it on until the state of NY isolated her on an island after she
refused to stop cooking (and risking others lives) for a living.
Interesting stuff, huh?

Don'tcha hate seeing fast food workers(or perhaps any food workers) with
those long talon like fake nails, touching food? Ugh!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:07:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think Goomba was suggesting that Barbara be the hall monitor
>> > for
>> > enforcement, only that she could reasonably be expected to know
>> > district
>> > or state policy about it. <shrug>

>> Parent's personal choice is/was none of my business.

> Their unvaccinated "Typhoid Marys" are a threat to you directly, so they
> are your business. They are especially a hazard when they travel to
> other countries with their parents and bring back diseases that are
> normally not found in the US.

The half-wits that believe in homeopathy advocate their remedies as an
alternative to inoculation against childhood diseases AND tropical
diseases!!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:03:40 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> ster.com...
> >
> > sf wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:07:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> >> Parent's personal choice is/was none of my business.

> > Their unvaccinated "Typhoid Marys" are a threat to you directly, so they
> > are your business. They are especially a hazard when they travel to
> > other countries with their parents and bring back diseases that are
> > normally not found in the US.
> >

> The half-wits that believe in homeopathy advocate their remedies as an
> alternative to inoculation against childhood diseases AND tropical
> diseases!!

I could be hit by lightening any time too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2011 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:36:57 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> My son was home schooled but it was all pretty unstructured. He's back
>> in classes at the community college which I think is a better
>> environment - I suck as a teacher. As it goes, these kids don't really
>> appreciate the education system until they get to the college level. I
>> sure didn't.

> I think it has to do more with being in control of what they are
> learning. I know my interest in school improved as I gained control
> and my son went from being abysmal in high school to pretty darned
> good when he found something that interested him in college.

It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
that wasn't so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2011 10:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:51:34 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/21/2011 4:06 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> My moment of clarity came when the counselor/case worker smiled her
>>> hideous grin and announced to me that I had a smart son, I knew what I
>>> had to do - remove him from that environment. So we did. That pretty
>>> much cured him, no drugs, no anxiety, no allergies or respiratory
>>> problems. It was the smartest move we ever made.

>> Good for you! I'm so glad to see that! Did you end up
>> home-schooling? All parents need to take that special interest in their
>> kids. Unfortunately, too many don't, and they leave their kids in the
>> incomplete "care" of the public schools. That isn't their job. It
>> definitely takes a special person to be a good teacher, and probably a
>> lot of heartache.

> Either of the previous two paragraphs could make me nauseated. Taken
> together, they are ipecac.

Tough shit, bully.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 14:07:54 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> >> Parent's personal choice is/was none of my business.

> > Their unvaccinated "Typhoid Marys" are a threat to you directly, so they
> > are your business. They are especially a hazard when they travel to
> > other countries with their parents and bring back diseases that are
> > normally not found in the US.

> Hey, lets talk Typhoid Mary! Interesting topic and food related! She was
> an Irish cook who was an unknown carrier of typhus and passed it along
> unknowingly to the families that she cooked for. She was first traced
> to the problem while cooking for a wealthy family in Oyster Bay, LI, NY.
> The Health Department fought to convince her of her infection but she
> swore she never had it. Poor hygiene practices allowed her to keep
> passing it on until the state of NY isolated her on an island after she
> refused to stop cooking (and risking others lives) for a living.
> Interesting stuff, huh?
>
> Don'tcha hate seeing fast food workers(or perhaps any food workers) with
> those long talon like fake nails, touching food? Ugh!!

If they have long nails, they don't meet health department food handler
requirements.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 2/23/2011 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:36:57 -1000, > wrote:
> >
> >> My son was home schooled but it was all pretty unstructured. He's back
> >> in classes at the community college which I think is a better
> >> environment - I suck as a teacher. As it goes, these kids don't really
> >> appreciate the education system until they get to the college level. I
> >> sure didn't.

> > I think it has to do more with being in control of what they are
> > learning. I know my interest in school improved as I gained control
> > and my son went from being abysmal in high school to pretty darned
> > good when he found something that interested him in college.
> >

> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
> that wasn't so.

I suppose I'd fall into that "smart underachiever" category. The
standard school environment didn't work for me, I'd be in the back of
the class reading a book and occasionally putting it down to correct the
teacher. I never did homework, I simply aced every test I took. I ended
up dropping out, getting a GED and moving on in a couple hops to my
current six figure salary job. The "system" simply does not work for
some people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> Don'tcha hate seeing fast food workers(or perhaps any food workers) with
>> those long talon like fake nails, touching food? Ugh!!

> If they have long nails, they don't meet health department food handler
> requirements.

Well, the health department sure needs to crack down on this then!
I see far too many skanky long fake nails getting too close to the
publics food at places like McDonalds
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2011 3:35 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I think it has to do more with being in control of what they are
>>> learning. I know my interest in school improved as I gained control
>>> and my son went from being abysmal in high school to pretty darned
>>> good when he found something that interested him in college.
>>>

>> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
>> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
>> that wasn't so.

> I suppose I'd fall into that "smart underachiever" category. The
> standard school environment didn't work for me, I'd be in the back of
> the class reading a book and occasionally putting it down to correct the
> teacher. I never did homework, I simply aced every test I took. I ended
> up dropping out, getting a GED and moving on in a couple hops to my
> current six figure salary job. The "system" simply does not work for
> some people.

The education system can't comprehend what it's like for a kid with an
active mind and nervous system to be forced to sit at a desk and have to
listen to a teacher droning on and on about things that seem to have
little relevancy. Your story is pretty typical. Too bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, dsi1@usenet-
news.net says...

> On 2/23/2011 3:35 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:

> >> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
> >> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
> >> that wasn't so.

> > I suppose I'd fall into that "smart underachiever" category. The
> > standard school environment didn't work for me, I'd be in the back of
> > the class reading a book and occasionally putting it down to correct the
> > teacher. I never did homework, I simply aced every test I took. I ended
> > up dropping out, getting a GED and moving on in a couple hops to my
> > current six figure salary job. The "system" simply does not work for
> > some people.

> The education system can't comprehend what it's like for a kid with an
> active mind and nervous system to be forced to sit at a desk and have to
> listen to a teacher droning on and on about things that seem to have
> little relevancy. Your story is pretty typical. Too bad.

For me it was even worse, not just things with no relevancy, but things
that were just plain _wrong_. One's interest in school goes out the
window when one comes to realize that the teacher is a blithering idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:31:10 -0600, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> If they have long nails, they don't meet health department food handler
> requirements.

I've never seen a food handler with long nails. I've seen them with
gloves, so maybe the gloves were covering up long nails... but I've
seen people at places like Macy's that had manicured nails so long
they couldn't operate the register without using a pen/pencil to push
the buttons. Absolutely disgusting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:31:10 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
>> If they have long nails, they don't meet health department food handler
>> requirements.

> I've never seen a food handler with long nails. I've seen them with
> gloves, so maybe the gloves were covering up long nails... but I've
> seen people at places like Macy's that had manicured nails so long
> they couldn't operate the register without using a pen/pencil to push
> the buttons. Absolutely disgusting!

I've seen plenty of them here. Not sure if that is allowed here or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:05:26 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 2/22/2011 10:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:51:34 -0500, >
> > wrote:

> >> Good for you! I'm so glad to see that! Did you end up
> >> home-schooling? All parents need to take that special interest in their
> >> kids. Unfortunately, too many don't, and they leave their kids in the
> >> incomplete "care" of the public schools. That isn't their job. It
> >> definitely takes a special person to be a good teacher, and probably a
> >> lot of heartache.

> > Either of the previous two paragraphs could make me nauseated. Taken
> > together, they are ipecac.

> Tough shit, bully.

Oh, come on... Boron is usually neutral. She finally takes a stand
and you call her a bully? Wow. I didn't agree and didn't follow the
reasoning, but I am not going to call her a bully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:53:05 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> The education system can't comprehend what it's like for a kid with an
> active mind and nervous system to be forced to sit at a desk and have to
> listen to a teacher droning on and on about things that seem to have
> little relevancy. Your story is pretty typical. Too bad.

Only students who are auditory learners can benefit from lessons
delivered by lecturing. Visual and tactile learners are out of luck.

I wasn't one of those "I'm smarter than you are" (that really aren't)
asshole types whose parents taught them it was okay to "correct"
teachers... however I was sent to the principals office for *staring*
at the teacher on a day I didn't bring my glasses. My sight wasn't
all that bad but I had to squint to see the blackboard and for some
reason it seems I constantly intimidated him just by my presence. He
claimed to be a retired Army Colonel, but didn't act like one!

I was on student counsel and our "advisor", my English teacher, almost
prevented me from graduating from the stage. He thought he was god's
gift to women but I wasn't falling all over him, so he tried to say
I'd missed too many student counsel meetings. I wasn't a flake - I
was just a country (not suburban) bumpkin from another state. It was
the first time I'd lived in a city and I didn't know how to navigate
HS politics. I'd been sick (ill) for one or maybe two meetings, but
not enough to disqualify me from graduating from the stage. My
friends went to bat for me and the records proved him wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2011 7:00 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In >, dsi1@usenet-
> news.net says...

>>> I suppose I'd fall into that "smart underachiever" category. The
>>> standard school environment didn't work for me, I'd be in the back of
>>> the class reading a book and occasionally putting it down to correct the
>>> teacher. I never did homework, I simply aced every test I took. I ended
>>> up dropping out, getting a GED and moving on in a couple hops to my
>>> current six figure salary job. The "system" simply does not work for
>>> some people.

>> The education system can't comprehend what it's like for a kid with an
>> active mind and nervous system to be forced to sit at a desk and have to
>> listen to a teacher droning on and on about things that seem to have
>> little relevancy. Your story is pretty typical. Too bad.

> For me it was even worse, not just things with no relevancy, but things
> that were just plain _wrong_. One's interest in school goes out the
> window when one comes to realize that the teacher is a blithering idiot.

It may be impossible to learn from a teacher that you don't respect -
blithering idiots will find it tough time with lessons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2011 10:31 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:53:05 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> The education system can't comprehend what it's like for a kid with an
>> active mind and nervous system to be forced to sit at a desk and have to
>> listen to a teacher droning on and on about things that seem to have
>> little relevancy. Your story is pretty typical. Too bad.

> Only students who are auditory learners can benefit from lessons
> delivered by lecturing. Visual and tactile learners are out of luck.
>
> I wasn't one of those "I'm smarter than you are" (that really aren't)
> asshole types whose parents taught them it was okay to "correct"
> teachers... however I was sent to the principals office for *staring*
> at the teacher on a day I didn't bring my glasses. My sight wasn't
> all that bad but I had to squint to see the blackboard and for some
> reason it seems I constantly intimidated him just by my presence. He
> claimed to be a retired Army Colonel, but didn't act like one!
>
> I was on student counsel and our "advisor", my English teacher, almost
> prevented me from graduating from the stage. He thought he was god's
> gift to women but I wasn't falling all over him, so he tried to say
> I'd missed too many student counsel meetings. I wasn't a flake - I
> was just a country (not suburban) bumpkin from another state. It was
> the first time I'd lived in a city and I didn't know how to navigate
> HS politics. I'd been sick (ill) for one or maybe two meetings, but
> not enough to disqualify me from graduating from the stage. My
> friends went to bat for me and the records proved him wrong.

I was a slacker in HS and did the least amount of work possible. It was
pretty easy - I must have been good at tests or something.

Looking back, it was mostly a waste of time but at least it wasn't a lot
of stress. I went back to school in my thirties because I wanted a
change of professions and it's pretty obvious that there was a big
difference in the kids that had their parents paying for school and
students that paid out of their own pockets. Being a slacker was not an
option because that would be like throwing away money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:56:08 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 2/23/2011 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:36:57 -1000, > wrote:
> >
> >> My son was home schooled but it was all pretty unstructured. He's back
> >> in classes at the community college which I think is a better
> >> environment - I suck as a teacher. As it goes, these kids don't really
> >> appreciate the education system until they get to the college level. I
> >> sure didn't.

> > I think it has to do more with being in control of what they are
> > learning. I know my interest in school improved as I gained control
> > and my son went from being abysmal in high school to pretty darned
> > good when he found something that interested him in college.
> >

> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
> that wasn't so.

Because you have an Asperger's child, you know the drill. When they
display good social behavior it's because the behavior has been well
rehearsed and they have the "how to" movie running in their heads.

Asperger's is on the autism scale, so it's not surprising that they
require certainty. Give them absolute parameters, allow linear
thinking and they do well. Put them in an occupation that requires
numbers and they will excel because numbers don't have nuances like
language does. Put them in a work situation with strict parameters
and they'll be happy as a clam... I'm thinking pathways like xray
tech. Show up, do your job, go home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2011 12:25 AM, sf wrote:

> Because you have an Asperger's child, you know the drill. When they
> display good social behavior it's because the behavior has been well
> rehearsed and they have the "how to" movie running in their heads.
>
> Asperger's is on the autism scale, so it's not surprising that they
> require certainty. Give them absolute parameters, allow linear
> thinking and they do well. Put them in an occupation that requires
> numbers and they will excel because numbers don't have nuances like
> language does. Put them in a work situation with strict parameters
> and they'll be happy as a clam... I'm thinking pathways like xray
> tech. Show up, do your job, go home.

You are knowledgeable in this. I'm a little disappointed in some of the
choices he's making for his electives - not "geeky" enough. Political
science, world religion, world history, economics. The kind of classes
that I hated. He seems more interested in the domain of words and
language than numbers. Hopefully, he'll flip at some time. That's the
way it goes - the kids just have to find their own way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:31:10 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> > If they have long nails, they don't meet health department food handler
> > requirements.

> I've never seen a food handler with long nails. I've seen them with
> gloves, so maybe the gloves were covering up long nails... but I've
> seen people at places like Macy's that had manicured nails so long
> they couldn't operate the register without using a pen/pencil to push
> the buttons. Absolutely disgusting!

Gloves are required by health codes if you don't have your nails trimmed
short (also if you have any cuts on your hands, band-aids alone are not
acceptable). This of course would only work with "sane" nails, not
"skank" nails that wouldn't fit in gloves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> FWIW, in my early '50s I after sneering at "drugging our kids" for many
> years, got to wondering if I actually had ADHD. According to two
> different shrinks I met the profile so one of them prescribed Ritalin
> for me.

Any survey I've ever taken tells me I could be diagnosed just by asking
my doctor to test me for it. I still decline to do so. Instead I found
a career path where it's an advantage.

> That was a real eye-opener. For the first time in my life all my
> affairs were in order, the bills were paid on time, the house was
> spotless, I had time to make breakfast before work, I was arriving at
> appointments on time, and I wasn't noticing any effects from the meds.
> It wasn't like I thought it was where the meds just drug the kid into
> lethargy.

Right. The deal is a tiny portion of kids do feel like zombies on their
try attempt meds. So they get taken off of them. That line is to a
great extent a blown up excuse like the religious exemption from
vaccination. But ADD/ADHD is not contagious and it does not hurt anyone
if someone declines to try the medication.

The down side is very different. If someone declines a vaccination
there is a small time window where my grand kid can be exposed before
the scheduled vaccination. Worst case my grand kid dies of a
preventable disease. If someone declines medication for ADD/ADHD there
is a long window where my grand kid might end up confused by what's
going on with the ADD/ADHD kid. Worst case my grand kid is badly
behaved towards the non-medicated kid and ends up bullying them or
being bullied by them.

> Unfortunately the meds stopped working for me after a while.
>
> So, with regard to ADHD anyway, I'd say that the decision to medicate,
> if it were my kid, would be a slam-dunk, not to help the kid "fit in"
> but because it makes it easier for him or her do do the things that he
> or she wants to do in life.
>
> However, _listen_ to the kid--if he's not happy with what the meds are
> doing to him, he's likely overmedicated.

They are over prescribed I think. When I was a kid they were under
prescribed I think.

There's also the fact that for a tiny number of kids feeling like a
zombie is a vast improvement. The kid next door where I grew up was so
bad he'd pace his driveway at night reciting lines from Shakespeare.
Out of order. He's probably one in a hundred thousand his symptoms were
so bad. Certainly the worst I've ever encountered. For him medications
that made him feel like a zombie really were the better choice that
declining medications. He's very much the exception to any rule you
care to make about ADD/ADHD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
>> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
>> that wasn't so.

It's true for ADD/ADHD folks as well to a lesser degree. I made it into
a top 10 college because I had a highly structured environment at home
and I was encouraged to run endlessly to stay in shape to be the worst
kid on the soccer team. Then I got to college with it's unstructured
environment and I flamed out like a meteor entering the atmosphere. I
learned as much as most graduates but flunked out and ended up getting
my degree gradually through night school at a generic state college.

> Because you have an Asperger's child, you know the drill. When they
> display good social behavior it's because the behavior has been well
> rehearsed and they have the "how to" movie running in their heads.
>
> Asperger's is on the autism scale, so it's not surprising that they
> require certainty. Give them absolute parameters, allow linear
> thinking and they do well. Put them in an occupation that requires
> numbers and they will excel because numbers don't have nuances like
> language does. Put them in a work situation with strict parameters
> and they'll be happy as a clam... I'm thinking pathways like xray
> tech. Show up, do your job, go home.

Isaac Newton is thought to have had Aspergers. Figure out a way to
harness its strengths, a way to avoid its weaknesses and that's the
formula to excellence. For that matter it's the formula for excellence
for anyone just more intensely for the Asperger folks. Like anyone with
Asperger isn't familiar with intensity ....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2011 7:48 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It's interesting that there's such a different experience between high
>>> school and college for smart underachievers and Aspergers kids. I wish
>>> that wasn't so.

> It's true for ADD/ADHD folks as well to a lesser degree. I made it into
> a top 10 college because I had a highly structured environment at home
> and I was encouraged to run endlessly to stay in shape to be the worst
> kid on the soccer team. Then I got to college with it's unstructured
> environment and I flamed out like a meteor entering the atmosphere. I
> learned as much as most graduates but flunked out and ended up getting
> my degree gradually through night school at a generic state college.

My guess is that the hyperactive child, while a handful as a kid, tend
to be movers and shakers when they grow up. Steve Jobs - hyper kid,
Steve Wozniak - Aspergers.

>> Because you have an Asperger's child, you know the drill. When they
>> display good social behavior it's because the behavior has been well
>> rehearsed and they have the "how to" movie running in their heads.
>>
>> Asperger's is on the autism scale, so it's not surprising that they
>> require certainty. Give them absolute parameters, allow linear
>> thinking and they do well. Put them in an occupation that requires
>> numbers and they will excel because numbers don't have nuances like
>> language does. Put them in a work situation with strict parameters
>> and they'll be happy as a clam... I'm thinking pathways like xray
>> tech. Show up, do your job, go home.

> Isaac Newton is thought to have had Aspergers. Figure out a way to
> harness its strengths, a way to avoid its weaknesses and that's the
> formula to excellence. For that matter it's the formula for excellence
> for anyone just more intensely for the Asperger folks. Like anyone with
> Asperger isn't familiar with intensity ....

You might be surprised at the folks that are suspected of having
Aspergers - Glenn Gould, Keanu Reeves, Bill Gates, Woody Alan, Michael
Jackson (?!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2011 12:45 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think Goomba was suggesting that Barbara be the hall monitor for
>>> enforcement, only that she could reasonably be expected to know district
>>> or state policy about it.<shrug>
>>>

>> It certainly is fairly common knowledge that some folks claim a
>> religious exemption from the vaccination laws. I'm sure most teachers
>> have heard of this issue (even just in passing) to be aware of it.

> One would hope.

The schools track this pretty closely. State law in CO.

About fifteen years ago (before health records were computerized) there
was a minor measles outbreak at our high school (brought from Mexico by
a couple of kids on Spring Break there.)

Within a day the staff mobilized, went through over 2500 health cards,
identified every kid who had not been vaccinated (for one of 2-3 legal
reasons) and letters were sent home with the kids as well as mailed
with the information that those kids would be excluded from school until
either they showed proof of vaccination or X time (don't remember how
long) had passed with no new outbreaks.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> On 2/24/2011 12:45 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

>>> It certainly is fairly common knowledge that some folks claim a
>>> religious exemption from the vaccination laws. I'm sure most teachers
>>> have heard of this issue (even just in passing) to be aware of it.

>> One would hope.
>>

> The schools track this pretty closely. State law in CO.
>
> About fifteen years ago (before health records were computerized) there
> was a minor measles outbreak at our high school (brought from Mexico by
> a couple of kids on Spring Break there.)
>
> Within a day the staff mobilized, went through over 2500 health cards,
> identified every kid who had not been vaccinated (for one of 2-3 legal
> reasons) and letters were sent home with the kids as well as mailed
> with the information that those kids would be excluded from school until
> either they showed proof of vaccination or X time (don't remember how
> long) had passed with no new outbreaks.
>
> gloria p

We have a thus-far small measles outbreak in Boston now.

--
Jean B.

CBIS cannabis extract treats autism? DENDRONISTA General 0 25-03-2011 07:06 PM
Hormones in cows ViLco General Cooking 2 01-03-2010 05:35 PM
Impact of Loss of Hormones on Wine Tasting Abilities??? BFSON Wine 4 14-06-2004 03:15 PM
Help with injected turkey RindaRinda General Cooking 2 04-12-2003 10:26 AM
Please explain "Injected pork" Bob Barbecue 9 02-11-2003 04:06 PM