Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Griddle, New Grill

?About 20 years ago we bought a Chef's Design griddle made by Wisconsin
Aluminum Foundry. It has seen better days after a lot of hard use and some
abuse of the coating. We liked it so much and was of high quality so we
wanted to get another of the same type. After many years, they are still
making the same exact design! Made in the USA too!

In addition to the griddle, they have a line of indoor grills too. We
bought both in the end even though that was not the intent. I'd used the
grill a few times now and did London broil on it tonight. I was surprised
at the results. The instructions say to use a medium heat and I normally
would use high, but the results were very good. It took longer than a very
hot outdoor grill, but overall, it was very satisfying. We bought the model
6270.
http://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.c...sp?hProduct=13

The griddle gets used at least once or twice a week. Typical of weekend
breakfast, I first cook a pound of bacon. The surrounding groove and
reservoir is able to hold the drippings from a pound without draining.
After the bacon, I fried the eggs on the remaining fat. Being flat with no
sides, it is ideal for scrapple as it is easy to get a spatula under it to
flip a slice.

The griddle is also my favorite for pancakes and holds about 8 decent sized
ones at a time. Ours is the model 4240.

If you are considering one, Overstock.com had the best price on line, but
others were very close. I also just noticed they have a 25 year warranty.
Maybe they will do a re-coat of the Teflon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-06, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> others were very close. I also just noticed they have a 25 year warranty.
> Maybe they will do a re-coat of the Teflon.

I read the features and they use Excalibur coating. Keep the metal
utensils away and take care of it and it will probably never need
recoating. Should that unlikely possibility ever occur, see below.

http://www.whitfordww.com/excalibur.html

Sounds like a premium product, Ed. Thanks for the link. I may be in
the mrkt for a grill, myself.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 00:52:58 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>?About 20 years ago we bought a Chef's Design griddle made by Wisconsin
>Aluminum Foundry. It has seen better days after a lot of hard use and some
>abuse of the coating. We liked it so much and was of high quality so we
>wanted to get another of the same type. After many years, they are still
>making the same exact design! Made in the USA too!
>
>In addition to the griddle, they have a line of indoor grills too. We
>bought both in the end even though that was not the intent. I'd used the
>grill a few times now and did London broil on it tonight. I was surprised
>at the results. The instructions say to use a medium heat and I normally
>would use high, but the results were very good. It took longer than a very
>hot outdoor grill, but overall, it was very satisfying. We bought the model
>6270.
>http://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.c...sp?hProduct=13
>
>The griddle gets used at least once or twice a week. Typical of weekend
>breakfast, I first cook a pound of bacon. The surrounding groove and
>reservoir is able to hold the drippings from a pound without draining.
>After the bacon, I fried the eggs on the remaining fat. Being flat with no
>sides, it is ideal for scrapple as it is easy to get a spatula under it to
>flip a slice.
>
>The griddle is also my favorite for pancakes and holds about 8 decent sized
>ones at a time. Ours is the model 4240.
>
>If you are considering one, Overstock.com had the best price on line, but
>others were very close. I also just noticed they have a 25 year warranty.
>Maybe they will do a re-coat of the Teflon.

I had one of those but used it maybe three times, I prefer a large
high sided skillet, less spatter. Years ago my brother sent me one of
those large baskets filled with breakfast stuff that included the
griddle, was a Christmas gift. Eventually my daughter took it... I
never did ask if she actually uses it. I hope anyone considering
buying one of those griddles clicks on the "Care & Use" button on the
website... and reads the warning about heating: "High heat may also
raise the temperature under the grill or griddle and damage your
rangetop." This may work with the style of stove top you have but
with many residential stoves even with medium heat it will damage the
section of the porcelainized range top between burners... it
permanently yellowed my last stove top. I have no problem flipping in
a high sided skillet with my new Leevalley.com spatula, I haven't used
any other spatula since... everyone who cooks needs one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40733,44734
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Feb 2011 13:23:53 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Sounds like a premium product, Ed. Thanks for the link. I may be in
> the mrkt for a grill, myself.

Oh, for god sake... get yourself a real griddle not some pansy assed
coated thing that needs to be treated with "care". Go to the hardware
store and get a reversible one - grill on one side, griddle on the
other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-06, sf > wrote:
> Oh, for god sake... get yourself a real griddle not some pansy assed

Are you shooting to displace Jill as most insufferable bitch in rfc?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Feb 2011 21:12:49 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-02-06, sf > wrote:
> > Oh, for god sake... get yourself a real griddle not some pansy assed

> Are you shooting to displace Jill as most insufferable bitch in rfc?

Are you kidding? Jill would never put it that way. I put it in words
you would use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-02-06, sf > wrote:
> > Oh, for god sake... get yourself a real griddle not some pansy assed

> Are you shooting to displace Jill as most insufferable bitch in rfc?

Seriously, neither one is anywhere *near* in contention.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2011 8:19 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> permanently yellowed my last stove top. I have no problem flipping in
> a high sided skillet with my new Leevalley.com spatula, I haven't used
> any other spatula since... everyone who cooks needs one of these:
> http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40733,44734

This spatula may work out for me. I have one that I like, but it is not
going to last forever, although it is over 20 years old. Most of the
spatulas I see are too big. Sometimes something smaller works better.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 17:20:02 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 2/6/2011 8:19 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> permanently yellowed my last stove top. I have no problem flipping in
>> a high sided skillet with my new Leevalley.com spatula, I haven't used
>> any other spatula since... everyone who cooks needs one of these:
>> http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40733,44734

>This spatula may work out for me. I have one that I like, but it is not
>going to last forever, although it is over 20 years old. Most of the
>spatulas I see are too big. Sometimes something smaller works better.
>
>Becca

It's a simple tool but it works. I bought an All-Clad stainless steel
spatula a few years ago but hate it, it's too big and clumsy and cost
almost $30... after I received it I realized that mostly I paid for
the fancy schmancy handle with their name emblazoned on it but as a
functional spatula it's worthless. This one from Lee Valley is very
functional and very well made... well worth the ten bux.