Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

Default shed storage below freezing

The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it hurt
bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm wondering
how low the temperature can go before either the wine is affected or the
bottles fracture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

In article >, john reed wrote:
>The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it hurt
>bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm wondering
>how low the temperature can go before either the wine is affected or the
>bottles fracture?

I don't know, but I can tell you that our doorstep was cold enough for
milk to freeze and fracture the bottles between the milkman leaving it
and 7am.
Presumably the higher the alcohol content the lower wine will go without
freezing, but I don't know if the taste will be affected before then.
You can make alcoholic sorbets though, so it should be edible even if
frozen (but not if it has fractured glass in, obviously).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

On 21/12/2010 11:14, john reed wrote:
> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it hurt
> bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm wondering
> how low the temperature can go before either the wine is affected or the
> bottles fracture?

There's a certain number of homebrewers who freeze their wine on purpose
as it's meant to mature quicker.

Can't speak from experience though.

--
James

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:14:22 -0000
"john reed" > wrote:

> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it
> hurt bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm
> wondering how low the temperature can go before either the wine is
> affected or the bottles fracture?

If it ruined, you could try freeze-distilled brandy. It's dangerous
though as unlike boiling distillation it concentrate the poisonous oils.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

"James Bendall" > wrote in message
> On 21/12/2010 11:14, john reed wrote:
>> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it hurt
>> bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm
>> wondering
>> how low the temperature can go before either the wine is affected or the
>> bottles fracture?

> There's a certain number of homebrewers who freeze their wine on purpose
> as it's meant to mature quicker.
>
> Can't speak from experience though.

If you part freeze it and remove the ice it should leave the alcohol behind
and make it stronger.
I don't think it will mature faster frozen.

> --
> James

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

"Huge" > wrote in message
> On 2010-12-21, James Bendall > wrote:
>> On 21/12/2010 11:14, john reed wrote:
>>> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it
>>> hurt
>>> bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm
>>> wondering
>>> how low the temperature can go before either the wine is affected or the
>>> bottles fracture?

>> There's a certain number of homebrewers who freeze their wine on purpose

> But not in glass bottles ...

Champaign is deliberately frozen in glass bottles.

> --
> Today is Setting Orange, the 63rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
> "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious
> people."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 3:13*pm, "dennis@home" >
wrote:

> > But not in glass bottles ...

> Champaign is deliberately frozen in glass bottles.

I once kept wine in an old fridge in the shed during the summer. When
winter came and the thermostat turned out to be broken, the
temperature dropped. At -5 deg C there was no sign of freezing, even
after several weeks, but when the temperature suddenly fell to -10 deg
C the wine froze to a slush which pushed the corks sometimes partly
and sometimes fully out of the bottles without breaking them. Screw
tops bulged up and in some cases came off completely. A bit messy,
but no damage was done and the wine was still perfectly drinkable
afterwards - most of it remained as the bottles had been upright.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

john reed wrote:
> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it
> hurt bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm
> wondering how low the temperature can go before either the wine is
> affected or the bottles fracture?

Slighly more DIY :-) I've had a tub of one strike filler & a tube of no
nails freeze up in the van during this cold spell.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:13:36 -0000, "dennis@home"
> wrote:

>"Huge" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> There's a certain number of homebrewers who freeze their wine on purpose

>> But not in glass bottles ...

>Champaign is deliberately frozen in glass bottles.

Just the neck of the bottle is frozen for the purpose of disgorgement.

Ross.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking

"john reed" > wrote:

> The temperature around here at the moment is below freezing. Will it
> hurt bottles of wine to be stood out in our shed below freezing? I'm
> wondering how low the temperature can go before either the wine is
> affected or the bottles fracture?

Don't let 'em freee.

Ideal is wine stored between 40 and 65 degrees F, with no rapid
temperature change within that range. Freezing is more damaging
than high temps up to around 80 F. Something like a service porch,
entryway or similar that has some of the warmth of your main
residence is better than the freezing shed. Insulating material
around the cases of wine is a good idea, to keep it steady.

Steve

The Shed Shalako General Cooking 45 24-09-2015 05:29 AM
The Shed Arthur Rochford Manby Barbecue 0 09-09-2015 11:40 PM
The Machine Shed's Baked Potato Soup Kathy Johnson Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2005 12:03 AM
Is it save to use my WSM in an open metal shed? [email protected] Barbecue 48 15-12-2004 10:45 PM
re- freezing (was: safe storage times in fridge) jim General Cooking 2 22-08-2004 07:54 PM