Default Is it save to use my WSM in an open metal shed?

See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.

I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
smoke will fill the top and knock me out.

Thanks,
Bobby

BOB

> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

LOL!
Is that where hurricane Charlie put my shed? Looks just like mine, but I
guess Charlie lost the doors.

No, I wouldn't cook in there without major modifications (more
ventilation), and I don't think that the shed's structure would allow much
without falling apart.

BOB

BOB

> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

LOL!
Is that where hurricane Charlie put my shed? Looks just like mine, but I
guess Charlie lost the doors.

No, I wouldn't cook in there without major modifications (more
ventilation), and I don't think that the shed's structure would allow much
without falling apart.

BOB

Jack Curry

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

Take the roof off and it should be fine.

Jack Curry
-Just wait until the rain stops-

Jack Curry

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

Take the roof off and it should be fine.

Jack Curry
-Just wait until the rain stops-

I guess that means the answer is "no." I went outside and checked. I
can stand up straight in the shed, but with not much room to spare.

My wife says she would tear the shed down if it were our house, but we
are just renting.

Maybe it is because we live in Louisiana now, but I seem to be
barbecueing in the rain a fair amount.
Thanks for your replies.

- Bobby

Thanks. I thought the replys to my post were very funny. My wife was
also amused. I should have put a on my post, so you would know.

I get frustrated with the rain though. I guess when I get the time
I'll ponder what I could use that would keep the rain off but not kill
me or burn down the house (or both!)

- Bobby

just joe

put a on my post, so you would know.

> I get frustrated with the rain though.

uh, bobby?? i get 120 inches (don't convert to feet or you'll scream)
of rain a year. you'll survive.

i don't think your "man shed" will have any co2 problems as long as
the
door is open (fourth law of gases by some old geezer that i can't
remember
in my alcohol induced state).

no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.

keep a watch on the heat above the cooker.

joe
petersburg (um, pickled herring, it's that time of year) alaska

just joe

put a on my post, so you would know.

> I get frustrated with the rain though.

uh, bobby?? i get 120 inches (don't convert to feet or you'll scream)
of rain a year. you'll survive.

i don't think your "man shed" will have any co2 problems as long as
the
door is open (fourth law of gases by some old geezer that i can't
remember
in my alcohol induced state).

no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.

keep a watch on the heat above the cooker.

joe
petersburg (um, pickled herring, it's that time of year) alaska

Piedmont

> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

I think you'll be fine as long as the door stays open, if you want to do
this on a regular basis, then I'd suggest some type of ventilation thru
the roof for extra safety, even rigging up a "vent hood" directly above
the cooker.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr

Piedmont

> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

I think you'll be fine as long as the door stays open, if you want to do
this on a regular basis, then I'd suggest some type of ventilation thru
the roof for extra safety, even rigging up a "vent hood" directly above
the cooker.

--
Mike Willsey
http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBarBQr
Edwin Pawlowski

"just joe" > wrote in message
> no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.

Is that the one that states "don't fart in the presence of an open flame"?

Edwin Pawlowski

"just joe" > wrote in message
> no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.

Is that the one that states "don't fart in the presence of an open flame"?

Bo Hica

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

Id be hesitant in there Bobby - but if you try it, I'd put it in the doorway
and stay out of the interior (you) during and after the cook.

I bought one of those self supporting 10x10 popup canopies to set the WSM
under. I already had it pull out a ribfest that I couldn't have gotten
started in the rain like it was. All clear when the guests arrived, but
raining pretty good for the first couple of hours of the cook. Plenty of
ventilation - all 4 sides open, and since it supports itself, I put it over
my driveway and did it right there.

I'll use it again this week if rain threatens my Q. Maybe one day we'll use
it for scouts or swim team like we planned - but for the WSM it is just the
ticket.

- Bo

Bo Hica

oups.com...

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "just joe" > wrote in message
> > no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.
> >

> Is that the one that states "don't fart in the presence of an open
> flame"?

I think it was "Stalag 17".

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "just joe" > wrote in message
> > no, no, i got it. it was boyle's law of gases.
> >

> Is that the one that states "don't fart in the presence of an open
> flame"?

I think it was "Stalag 17".

"Bo Hica" > wrote:
> []
> I'll use it again this week if rain threatens my Q. Maybe one day we'll
> use it for scouts or swim team like we planned - but for the WSM it is
> just the ticket.

BBQing for the Scouts? Does the ACLU know about this?

--
Nick. Christmas Day, the twenty-fifth Day of December, being established a
Federal holiday by an Act of Congress on June 28, 1870: Merry Christmas!

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops! You are not forgotten. Thanks.
CSS

hehe-- if that thing doesn't collapse around you, its probably ok <g>

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

CSS

hehe-- if that thing doesn't collapse around you, its probably ok <g>

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

CSS

hehe-- if that thing doesn't collapse around you, its probably ok <g>

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

CSS

hehe-- if that thing doesn't collapse around you, its probably ok <g>

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG
>
> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

Jack Curry

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message news:sUjvd.45717

> Dang, I was half expecting a Kamado recommendation on this thread.

Well, you know I like my Kamado, but a WSM for a *LOT* less money is a fine
cooker.

Jack Curry
-But rain don't bother a Kamado none-

Jack Curry

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message news:sUjvd.45717

> Dang, I was half expecting a Kamado recommendation on this thread.

Well, you know I like my Kamado, but a WSM for a *LOT* less money is a fine
cooker.

Jack Curry
-But rain don't bother a Kamado none-

bbq

> See the following webpage for a picture of the shed:

http://webpages.charter.net/bdurrett/000_0111.JPG

> I'm having trouble using my WSM outside. Last time I smoked ribs it
> rained. I pulled the smoker under the awning of the house, but the
> water still splashed on the side and got the charcoal wet.
>
> I was wondering if it would be safe to run it in the metal shed in my
> back yard. It has a big open door, but I wonder if Carbon Monoxide and
> smoke will fill the top and knock me out.

I would suggest, as others have, to get an umbrella. I got a 9 ft
cheapie with the base last summer for $30. I need a small diameter
table now to help hold it up. It is easy to put up and take down.
Since your renting too, is easy enough to take with you if you move.

I did a cook last summer and it rained a bit. I was able to hang a tarp
to keep the cooker from getting rained on, but was pita to hang and
get rain to flow away from my house. Bought the umbrella but have not
had to use it yet.

Q'in is fun, but don't risk your life for it!!!!

BBQ
Lee

Sure, if there is any breeze, if not use a little fan. And if you are
still worried pick up a carbon monoxide detector. I doubt that you can
get the detector to alarm with any kind of fire or smoke you have in
your smoker unless you seal up the door with something. I suspect that
enough smoke might accumulate at the top to make your eyes water when
you open up the smoker. My son-in-law smokes inside a lot tighter shed
than this one and he has never set off his CO detectors, he has two, if
he leaves the 36 inch wide door partially open and a window open a
little.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I do have a beach umbrella I could try.
But, I need something to stick it in.

- Bobby

The Shed Shalako General Cooking 45 24-09-2015 05:29 AM
The Shed Arthur Rochford Manby Barbecue 0 09-09-2015 11:40 PM
shed storage below freezing john reed General Cooking 11 23-12-2010 05:20 PM
The Machine Shed's Baked Potato Soup Kathy Johnson Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2005 12:03 AM
The Machine Shed's Baked Potato Soup Kathy Johnson Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2005 12:03 AM