Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with 1 lb of Alligator tail

The shrimp thread had some interesting ideas- what can we come up with
for Gator?

I want to keep it as plain as possible so we can taste the alligator
as none of us has ever eaten it.

Just saute it in some butter?

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 5:54*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> The shrimp thread had some interesting ideas- what can we come up with
> for Gator?
>
> I want to keep it as plain as possible so we can taste the alligator
> as none of us has ever eaten it.
>
> Just saute it in some butter?
>
> Thanks-
> Jim

==

Here is an URL for Stewed Alligator.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

This will have rapped and I don't subscribe to TinyUrl so just copy
and paste if necessary.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

> The shrimp thread had some interesting ideas- what can we come up with
> for Gator?
>
> I want to keep it as plain as possible so we can taste the alligator
> as none of us has ever eaten it.
>
> Just saute it in some butter?

It's pretty tough. In Florida, we usually made "nuggets" and deep-fried
them, but you can't really taste the alligator when you do that. You might
try using a jaccard on it and stewing it. A good recipe for the nuggets is
in Steve Raichlen's _Miami Spice_:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VCF...page&q&f=false

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/263od5m

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> The shrimp thread had some interesting ideas- what can we come up with
> for Gator?
>
> I want to keep it as plain as possible so we can taste the alligator
> as none of us has ever eaten it.
>
> Just saute it in some butter?

My husband said he used to buy gator burgers some place where he lived.
Maybe Louisiana? He liked them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:14:34 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

-snip-

>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
>
>This will have rapped and I don't subscribe to TinyUrl so just copy
>and paste if necessary.
>==

Thanks-- but no thanks. It looks like Emeril is trying to cover up
the taste of the meat- not highlight it. [or is that what he's
trying to say? Alligator doesn't taste good?]

1 review- and it is only one star. I'll pass on that one.

I can Google recipes-- I was hoping someone here, whose taste I might
have an idea about, had tried it & has some thoughts.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I can Google recipes-- I was hoping someone here, whose taste I might
> have an idea about, had tried it & has some thoughts.

My immediate thought was, "Give it a decent burial." I haven't had any
further intuitions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:57:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
.. .
>> The shrimp thread had some interesting ideas- what can we come up with
>> for Gator?
>>
>> I want to keep it as plain as possible so we can taste the alligator
>> as none of us has ever eaten it.
>>
>> Just saute it in some butter?

>My husband said he used to buy gator burgers some place where he lived.
>Maybe Louisiana? He liked them.

I might do them sometime- but I'm 'between meat grinders' right now. I
gave away my crank one when I got a Cuisinart stand mixer with all the
attachments. That died last year & I replaced it with a Kitchenaid-
I've been waiting for a good enough deal on the grinder to make
me*need* one.

Thanks-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 13:43:37 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I can Google recipes-- I was hoping someone here, whose taste I might
>> have an idea about, had tried it & has some thoughts.

>My immediate thought was, "Give it a decent burial." I haven't had any
>further intuitions.

More years ago, I tried to make a Vindaloo with some Alligator. To
say that it was not a success would be an understatement.

Regards
JonH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> I can Google recipes-- I was hoping someone here, whose taste I might
>> have an idea about, had tried it & has some thoughts.

>My immediate thought was, "Give it a decent burial." I haven't had any
>further intuitions.

<BG>

That may be *our* thought in the future. I haven't run across a
plethora of 'oh you've gotta try this' comments on Alligator.

Most seem to either deep fry it or bury it in a gumbo like dish.
Doesn't bode well for trying it 'straight up'.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Roy > wrote:
>
>>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
>>
>>This will have rapped and I don't subscribe to TinyUrl so just copy
>>and paste if necessary.
>>==

> Thanks-- but no thanks. It looks like Emeril is trying to cover up
> the taste of the meat- not highlight it. [or is that what he's
> trying to say? Alligator doesn't taste good?]

I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. Nasty. I think he is
saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. It needs
specific processing to taste good. That's why folks fry it or other
preparation methods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 12, 4:43*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I can Google recipes-- I was hoping someone here, whose taste I might
> > have an idea about, had tried it & has some thoughts.

> My immediate thought was, "Give it a decent burial." *I haven't had any
> further intuitions.

My first thought was...use it for bait and catch something edible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> Roy > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
>>>
>>>This will have rapped and I don't subscribe to TinyUrl so just copy
>>>and paste if necessary.
>>>==

>> Thanks-- but no thanks. It looks like Emeril is trying to cover up
>> the taste of the meat- not highlight it. [or is that what he's
>> trying to say? Alligator doesn't taste good?]

>I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. Nasty. I think he is
>saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. It needs
>specific processing to taste good. That's why folks fry it or other
>preparation methods.

That does seem to be consensus. I guess we'll batter it up and fry
it and hope that the Dijon dip is worth eating. At least we'll
know how *we* feel about it.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 13, 2:23*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> >Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> >> Thanks-- but no thanks. * *It looks like Emeril is trying to cover up
> >> the taste of the meat- not highlight it. * *[or is that what he's
> >> trying to say? *Alligator doesn't taste good?]

> >I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. *Nasty. *I think he is
> >saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. *It needs
> >specific processing to taste good. *That's why folks fry it or other
> >preparation methods.

> That does seem to be consensus. * *I guess we'll batter it up and fry
> it and hope that the Dijon dip is worth eating. * * At least we'll
> know how *we* feel about it.
>
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

Alligator bites........nuggets of tail meat in a cajun spiced breading
and deep fried.....are actually good, but you need to use the Tony
Chacheres or Prudhomme seasonings with a heavy hand though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 13, 3:56*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2:23*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>

> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> > >I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. *Nasty. *I think he is
> > >saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. *It needs
> > >specific processing to taste good. *That's why folks fry it or other
> > >preparation methods.

> > That does seem to be consensus. * *I guess we'll batter it up and fry
> > it and hope that the Dijon dip is worth eating. * * At least we'll
> > know how *we* feel about it.

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> Alligator bites........nuggets of tail meat in a cajun spiced breading
> and deep fried.....are actually good, but you need to use the Tony
> Chacheres or Prudhomme seasonings with a heavy hand though.- Hide quoted text -

Oh...and a nice spicy dip to dunk them in. A little mayo, sour
cream and tabasco whisked together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>>Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>>> Thanks-- but no thanks. It looks like Emeril is trying to cover up
>>> the taste of the meat- not highlight it. [or is that what he's
>>> trying to say? Alligator doesn't taste good?]

>>I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. Nasty. I think he is
>>saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. It needs
>>specific processing to taste good. That's why folks fry it or other
>>preparation methods.

> That does seem to be consensus. I guess we'll batter it up and fry
> it and hope that the Dijon dip is worth eating. At least we'll
> know how *we* feel about it.
>
> Jim

Yes, Jim. It is totally an individual thing. I moved from the Nevada
desert to Louisiana for six years of commercial diving. Married a Cajun
girl, with all the assorted relatives, hundreds of them. And they all
cooked. Got to eat everything that the Cajuns cooked, EXCEPT alligator,
which was highly regulated during the years I lived there. Later, on a
visit, I tried some alligator at a very good restaurant in Lafayette,
Louisiana, and found it to be .......... uh ......... not very good. It's
like crabs or catfish or chaudin, or jambalaya, or et touffe, or whatever.
You either like it or you don't, and if you don't, there's nothing wrong
with that. I'd eat it, and it doesn't taste that bad, just that it is
usually cooked with a lot of spices, and any food that has to be cooked with
a lot of spices just won't stand on its own. Alligator is a carrion eater,
besides.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Dec 13, 3:56 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2:23 pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>

> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> > >I tried gator vegitable stew earlier this year. Nasty. I think he is
> > >saying that gator, when prepared simply, does not taste good. It needs
> > >specific processing to taste good. That's why folks fry it or other
> > >preparation methods.

> > That does seem to be consensus. I guess we'll batter it up and fry
> > it and hope that the Dijon dip is worth eating. At least we'll
> > know how *we* feel about it.

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> Alligator bites........nuggets of tail meat in a cajun spiced breading
> and deep fried.....are actually good, but you need to use the Tony
> Chacheres or Prudhomme seasonings with a heavy hand though.- Hide quoted
> text -

Oh...and a nice spicy dip to dunk them in. A little mayo, sour
cream and tabasco whisked together.

reply: And if it was any good at all, you could just cook it and eat it
with no seasoning.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:
-snip-

>> Alligator bites........nuggets of tail meat in a cajun spiced breading
>> and deep fried.....are actually good, but you need to use the Tony
>> Chacheres or Prudhomme seasonings with a heavy hand though.- Hide quoted text -

That bad, eh? What is objectionable about it? The texture? The
flavor? Strong like goat or something?

>Oh...and a nice spicy dip to dunk them in. A little mayo, sour
>cream and tabasco whisked together.

That sounds better than the mustard based one I saw someplace. We
like Frank's, here-- but I might go with the McIlhenny's for this.
Frank's might get lost in the mayo & sour cream.

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pray that it's not still attached to the rest of the alligator.