Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pomegranates and Gin

Pinstripe Sniper > wrote:

>My most favorite new tasty thing from this T-giving is a drink - fresh
>barely muddled pomegranate "arils" in chilled gin - yummy, subtle and
>"loaded" with antioxidants, and the vitamins C & K. It's pretty
>pretty two.
>
>I learned how to de-aril pomegranates yesterday.

WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that occur within
a pomegranate?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Steve Pope) wrote in news:icp3ou$vlf$1
@blue.rahul.net:

> Pinstripe Sniper > wrote:
>
>>My most favorite new tasty thing from this T-giving is a drink - fresh
>>barely muddled pomegranate "arils" in chilled gin - yummy, subtle and
>>"loaded" with antioxidants, and the vitamins C & K. It's pretty
>>pretty two.
>>
>>I learned how to de-aril pomegranates yesterday.

> WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that occur within
> a pomegranate?
>

> Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aril

"An aril (or arillus) is any specialized outgrowth from the funiculus
(attachment point of the seed) (or hilum) that covers or is attached to
the seed. It is sometimes applied to any appendage or thickening of the
seed coat in flowering plants, such as the edible parts of the mangosteen
and pomegranate fruit, the mace of the nutmeg seed, or the hairs of a
cotton plant.

The aril may create a fruit-like structure (called a false-fruit). False
fruit are found in numerous Angiosperm taxa. The edible flesh of the
longan, lychee, ackee and lleuque fruits are highly developed arils
surrounding the seed rather than a pericarp layer. Such arils are also
found in a few species of gymnosperms, notably the yews and related
conifers. Instead of having a woody cone as is typical of most
gymnosperms, the reproductive structure of the yew consists of a single
seed that becomes surrounded by a fleshy, cup-like covering. This covering
is derived from a highly modified cone scale."

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie > wrote in
5:

> (Steve Pope) wrote in news:icp3ou$vlf$1
> @blue.rahul.net:
>
>> Pinstripe Sniper > wrote:
>>
>>>My most favorite new tasty thing from this T-giving is a drink - fresh
>>>barely muddled pomegranate "arils" in chilled gin - yummy, subtle and
>>>"loaded" with antioxidants, and the vitamins C & K. It's pretty
>>>pretty two.
>>>
>>>I learned how to de-aril pomegranates yesterday.

>> WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that occur within
>> a pomegranate?
>>

>> Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aril

> "An aril (or arillus) is any specialized outgrowth from the funiculus
> (attachment point of the seed) (or hilum) that covers or is attached to
> the seed. It is sometimes applied to any appendage or thickening of the
> seed coat in flowering plants, such as the edible parts of the

mangosteen
> and pomegranate fruit, the mace of the nutmeg seed, or the hairs of a
> cotton plant.
>
> The aril may create a fruit-like structure (called a false-fruit). False
> fruit are found in numerous Angiosperm taxa. The edible flesh of the
> longan, lychee, ackee and lleuque fruits are highly developed arils
> surrounding the seed rather than a pericarp layer. Such arils are also
> found in a few species of gymnosperms, notably the yews and related
> conifers. Instead of having a woody cone as is typical of most
> gymnosperms, the reproductive structure of the yew consists of a single
> seed that becomes surrounded by a fleshy, cup-like covering. This

covering
> is derived from a highly modified cone scale."

And the drink probably tastes like it sounds. Disgusting.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2010 4:12 PM, Aussie wrote:

> And the drink probably tastes like it sounds. Disgusting.

I love pomegranate, but not so much gin. maybe a pom martini with vodka!

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2010 2:02 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Pinstripe > wrote:
>
>> My most favorite new tasty thing from this T-giving is a drink - fresh
>> barely muddled pomegranate "arils" in chilled gin - yummy, subtle and
>> "loaded" with antioxidants, and the vitamins C& K. It's pretty
>> pretty two.
>>
>> I learned how to de-aril pomegranates yesterday.

> WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that occur within
> a pomegranate?

It's a crossword puzzle word for seed.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:02:38 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Pinstripe Sniper > wrote:
>
>>My most favorite new tasty thing from this T-giving is a drink - fresh
>>barely muddled pomegranate "arils" in chilled gin - yummy, subtle and
>>"loaded" with antioxidants, and the vitamins C & K. It's pretty
>>pretty two.
>>
>>I learned how to de-aril pomegranates yesterday.

> WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that occur within
> a pomegranate?

Aren't they what immediately surrounds the nipple?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:

>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 20:02:38 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> > WTF is an aril? Is it the little round things that [...]

>> Aren't they what immediately surrounds the nipple?

>That's "Areola" you horny bastid. <g>

In south Italy dialect one omits extraneous traling vowels.
Say "fazul!", or "capisch!". Why not "aril!"?

And maybe in south Texas, same deal.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 07:43:24 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Aren't they what immediately surrounds the nipple?

>>That's "Areola" you horny bastid. <g>

> In south Italy dialect one omits extraneous traling vowels.
> Say "fazul!", or "capisch!". Why not "aril!"?
>
> And maybe in south Texas, same deal.

It works for me, but I'm not in South Texas. South Texas and East
Texas are each their own little worlds.

The words are similar in definition, though.

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>> In south Italy dialect one omits extraneous traling vowels.
>> Say "fazul!", or "capisch!". Why not "aril!"?

>> And maybe in south Texas, same deal.

>It works for me, but I'm not in South Texas. South Texas and East
>Texas are each their own little worlds.

For sure. They each have their own language, their own "paisans",
and as I understand it different forms of purple codeine hooch
that probably have an optical isomer in a different place,
translating into distinct regional, if drug-induced, personality
states.

You wouldn't want to travel in east Texas on some purple
you got in South Texas. You may not want to do it straight either,
but sw may tell us if that is true.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve replied to Steve:

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>> In south Italy dialect one omits extraneous traling vowels.
>>> Say "fazul!", or "capisch!". Why not "aril!"?

>>> And maybe in south Texas, same deal.

>>It works for me, but I'm not in South Texas. South Texas and East
>>Texas are each their own little worlds.

> For sure. They each have their own language, their own "paisans",
> and as I understand it different forms of purple codeine hooch
> that probably have an optical isomer in a different place,
> translating into distinct regional, if drug-induced, personality
> states.
>
> You wouldn't want to travel in east Texas on some purple
> you got in South Texas. You may not want to do it straight either,
> but sw may tell us if that is true.

Have you been corresponding with Damaeus?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-D06E22.01361727112010
@news.giganews.com:

> In article > ,
> Aussie > wrote:
>
>> And the drink probably tastes like it sounds. Disgusting.
>>

>> --
>> Peter Lucas

> <snork> Not!
>
> It's the juicy part of the pomegranate! The part with all the flavor!

I've always considered Pomegranate to have a tart 'flavour'.

Not something I'd want to mix with Gin.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-0BAF6F.01365527112010
@news.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/2010 4:12 PM, Aussie wrote:
>> >
>> > And the drink probably tastes like it sounds. Disgusting.

>> I love pomegranate, but not so much gin. maybe a pom martini with vodka!

> Club soda, and maybe some Vodka, if I'm not driving... <g>

Club soda is just soda water, right?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Captain Peter Swallows gargled out:

> I've always considered Pomegranate to have a tart 'flavour'.
>
> Not something I'd want to mix with Gin.

Right. Lime juice is not tart at ALL, is it?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-3EF242.02294828112010
@news.giganews.com:

> In article > ,
> Aussie > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-

D06E22.01361727112010
>> @news.giganews.com:

>> > <snork> Not!
>> >
>> > It's the juicy part of the pomegranate! The part with all the flavor!

>> I've always considered Pomegranate to have a tart 'flavour'.
>>
>> Not something I'd want to mix with Gin.

> Why not? Gin is sweet, but I tend to avoid it as I simply don't care for
> Gin at all..

Can't say as I've evere had straight Gin, but when I've had a strong one,
it certainly isn't sweet.

Then again...... my taste buds have done a 180 as far as a lot of things
go.

Will try a little over ice tonight to see what it's like.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article > ,
> Aussie > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> newsmpomelet-0BAF6F.01365527112010 @news.giganews.com:

>> > Club soda, and maybe some Vodka, if I'm not driving... <g>

>> Club soda is just soda water, right?

> Yes!
>
> Adds a nice sparkle to many drinks.

One wonders why 'Mericans call it "Club Soda" instead of just plain old
Soda Water??

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Pomegranates and Gin notbob General Cooking 3 27-11-2010 07:33 AM
pomegranates RichD General Cooking 20 03-12-2007 06:04 PM
pomEgranates - again! Kathi Jones Preserving 9 20-11-2005 10:24 PM
Pomegranates Moosemeat General Cooking 34 25-03-2004 10:07 PM
Pomegranates James A. Finley Mexican Cooking 2 18-03-2004 09:32 PM