James A. Finley

Default Pomegranates

"Oncler" > wrote in message
> Dr. Edward Warren wrote:
> > I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they made
> > guacamole at the tableside.
> > It was excellent. One special ingredient was pomegranate seeds.
> > Where can I order these
> > at this time of year?
> > Thank you,
> > Edward Warren
> >

> As far as I know....fresh Pomegranates are only available in the fall.

They
> are usually gone by Christmas, or shortly after.

They are in all of the supermarkets in Houston now. As far as I can remember
they are available year around as they can be imported from South America
when they are out of season in the US.

Jim

Oncler

James A. Finley wrote:
> "Oncler" > wrote in message
>> Dr. Edward Warren wrote:
>>> I recently ate at The Barrio Cafe in Phoenix where they made
>>> guacamole at the tableside.
>>> It was excellent. One special ingredient was pomegranate seeds.
>>> Where can I order these
>>> at this time of year?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Edward Warren
>>>

>> As far as I know....fresh Pomegranates are only available in the
>> fall. They are usually gone by Christmas, or shortly after.
>>

> They are in all of the supermarkets in Houston now. As far as I can
> remember they are available year around as they can be imported from
> South America when they are out of season in the US.
>
> Jim

Oh well....I'm writing from NH, and sometimes it seems that we are at the
bottom of the food distribution chain.......I've never seen them out of
season up here......

tejas

My girlfriend and I were watching LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE last night and in
one of the last scenes where they are making the Chiles en nogada, she says
"those pomegranates are rather pale", I said that they look like the ones
that grew in S Texas when I was a kid (close to where the fillum was made
and took place).. she was a teenager in S California (Redlands) and I guess
there's a different variety out there that get redder (and is the type one
finds in the stores now).

--
Ted Samsel

http://tbsamsel.home.infionline.net

Pomegranates and Gin Steve Pope General Cooking 22 28-11-2010 10:37 PM
Pomegranates and Gin notbob General Cooking 3 27-11-2010 07:33 AM
pomegranates RichD General Cooking 20 03-12-2007 06:04 PM
pomEgranates - again! Kathi Jones Preserving 9 20-11-2005 10:24 PM
Pomegranates Moosemeat General Cooking 34 25-03-2004 10:07 PM