Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

Default pomEgranates - again!

'member I said I'd prolly never make pomegranate jelly unless the grocery
store was giving them away? Well, today they were. Sort of. One fresh
pomegranate is $2.99 but a reduced package of 3 older pomegranates is $1.49.
So I bought 4 pkgs.

So twelve old pomegranates later, and only one rotten one, seeded in a bowl
of water, juiced in the food processor, one ruined white sweat shirt (WHAT
was I thinking??!!), I have 6 cups of juice that I'm gonna make jelly out of
tomorrow!! I re read the thread I started back on Oct 30 and found Barb's
recipe (3 1/2 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5 cups sugar) and I think that's the
one I'm gonna make, unless someone else can come up with a better one (oh
no! NEVER better than Barbs!! ;-) Michael Kawalek also supplied a recipe
in that thread which is almost the same (4 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5 cups
sugar). I've got regular and low sugar Certo powder on hand so that's what
I've got to work with....gonno do a quick Google....

I noticed that both my BBB and Bernardin books don't have recipes for
pomegranate jelly....it's an unusual fruit I guess.

Kathi

ps - it's my first attempt at anything using pomegranates, so no, Brian, I
won't be trying the pomegranate-orange swirl ;-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

My favorite aunt used to make pomegranate jelly for me back in the 50's,
60's, and up until her death in 1973. Excellent stuff and I miss it.
Guess I might try some one of these days, when the price comes down.

Good luck Kathi.

George

Kathi Jones wrote:
> 'member I said I'd prolly never make pomegranate jelly unless the grocery
> store was giving them away? Well, today they were. Sort of. One fresh
> pomegranate is $2.99 but a reduced package of 3 older pomegranates is $1.49.
> So I bought 4 pkgs.
>
> So twelve old pomegranates later, and only one rotten one, seeded in a bowl
> of water, juiced in the food processor, one ruined white sweat shirt (WHAT
> was I thinking??!!), I have 6 cups of juice that I'm gonna make jelly out of
> tomorrow!! I re read the thread I started back on Oct 30 and found Barb's
> recipe (3 1/2 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5 cups sugar) and I think that's the
> one I'm gonna make, unless someone else can come up with a better one (oh
> no! NEVER better than Barbs!! ;-) Michael Kawalek also supplied a recipe
> in that thread which is almost the same (4 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5 cups
> sugar). I've got regular and low sugar Certo powder on hand so that's what
> I've got to work with....gonno do a quick Google....
>
> I noticed that both my BBB and Bernardin books don't have recipes for
> pomegranate jelly....it's an unusual fruit I guess.
>
> Kathi
>
> ps - it's my first attempt at anything using pomegranates, so no, Brian, I
> won't be trying the pomegranate-orange swirl ;-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

thanks George - maybe you'll luck out and get some real cheap like I did,

Kathi

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> My favorite aunt used to make pomegranate jelly for me back in the 50's,
> 60's, and up until her death in 1973. Excellent stuff and I miss it.
> Guess I might try some one of these days, when the price comes down.
>
> Good luck Kathi.
>
> George
>
> Kathi Jones wrote:
> > 'member I said I'd prolly never make pomegranate jelly unless the

grocery
> > store was giving them away? Well, today they were. Sort of. One fresh
> > pomegranate is $2.99 but a reduced package of 3 older pomegranates is

$1.49.
> > So I bought 4 pkgs.
> >
> > So twelve old pomegranates later, and only one rotten one, seeded in a

bowl
> > of water, juiced in the food processor, one ruined white sweat shirt

(WHAT
> > was I thinking??!!), I have 6 cups of juice that I'm gonna make jelly

out of
> > tomorrow!! I re read the thread I started back on Oct 30 and found

Barb's
> > recipe (3 1/2 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5 cups sugar) and I think that's

the
> > one I'm gonna make, unless someone else can come up with a better one

(oh
> > no! NEVER better than Barbs!! ;-) Michael Kawalek also supplied a

recipe
> > in that thread which is almost the same (4 cups juice, 1 pkg pectin, 5

cups
> > sugar). I've got regular and low sugar Certo powder on hand so that's

what
> > I've got to work with....gonno do a quick Google....
> >
> > I noticed that both my BBB and Bernardin books don't have recipes for
> > pomegranate jelly....it's an unusual fruit I guess.
> >
> > Kathi
> >
> > ps - it's my first attempt at anything using pomegranates, so no, Brian,

> > won't be trying the pomegranate-orange swirl ;-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

Jelly is done! I used 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 box Certo powder, 5 cups sugar -
just like Barb's recipe in the other thread (and just like strawberry jelly
recipe in the Certo package). Is this stuff ever nice! Six beautiful dark
red jars! Will do again if I ever see poms at a reduced price.

Hey George, can I send you a jar? Dunno if it'll be like your favorite
aunt's....

I have about 1 cup juice left so I'm going to experiment with that and some
pomegranate juice blend I bought at the store...will try it with the Certo
Light (reduced sugar)...

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

No thanks Kathi. A friend of mine is the produce manager at the local
Kroger Supermarket. I primed him after our conversation yesterday and
he's instructed his "grape pickers", his term for the people that work
for him, to let him know when the poms are getting overage. They should
still be good enough for jelly then.

He saved me peaches one year, got a whole flat of them free and another
time it was grapes. Made wine out of those two and it was good. Hic!

George

Kathi Jones wrote:
> Jelly is done! I used 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 box Certo powder, 5 cups sugar -
> just like Barb's recipe in the other thread (and just like strawberry jelly
> recipe in the Certo package). Is this stuff ever nice! Six beautiful dark
> red jars! Will do again if I ever see poms at a reduced price.
>
> Hey George, can I send you a jar? Dunno if it'll be like your favorite
> aunt's....
>
> I have about 1 cup juice left so I'm going to experiment with that and some
> pomegranate juice blend I bought at the store...will try it with the Certo
> Light (reduced sugar)...
>
> Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

excellent! So when you make your jelly, let me know how it goes,

Kathi

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> No thanks Kathi. A friend of mine is the produce manager at the local
> Kroger Supermarket. I primed him after our conversation yesterday and
> he's instructed his "grape pickers", his term for the people that work
> for him, to let him know when the poms are getting overage. They should
> still be good enough for jelly then.
>
> He saved me peaches one year, got a whole flat of them free and another
> time it was grapes. Made wine out of those two and it was good. Hic!
>
> George
>
> Kathi Jones wrote:
> > Jelly is done! I used 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 box Certo powder, 5 cups

sugar -
> > just like Barb's recipe in the other thread (and just like strawberry

jelly
> > recipe in the Certo package). Is this stuff ever nice! Six beautiful

dark
> > red jars! Will do again if I ever see poms at a reduced price.
> >
> > Hey George, can I send you a jar? Dunno if it'll be like your favorite
> > aunt's....
> >
> > I have about 1 cup juice left so I'm going to experiment with that and

some
> > pomegranate juice blend I bought at the store...will try it with the

Certo
> > Light (reduced sugar)...
> >
> > Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> Jelly is done! I used 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 box Certo powder, 5 cups sugar -
> just like Barb's recipe in the other thread (and just like strawberry jelly
> recipe in the Certo package). Is this stuff ever nice! Six beautiful dark
> red jars! Will do again if I ever see poms at a reduced price.

> Kathi

Woo-hoo! Good on you, Woman!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>
> > Jelly is done! I used 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 box Certo powder, 5 cups

sugar -
> > just like Barb's recipe in the other thread (and just like strawberry

jelly
> > recipe in the Certo package). Is this stuff ever nice! Six beautiful

dark
> > red jars! Will do again if I ever see poms at a reduced price.

> > Kathi

> Woo-hoo! Good on you, Woman!
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

thanks Barb. It's very tasty stuff. I didn't have enuff fresh juice left
for a second batch, so I made up the difference with a store bought pom
juice blend. Then I used Certo Light 'cause that's all I had. 4 1/2 cups
juice, 3 1/4 cups sugar, 1 box Certo Light. Also very tasty but not as
clear.

I'm done preserving/jamming/pickling for the year. It's now time to label,
tie ribbons on, wrap and package. Every year I try to make 1 thing new.
This year - thanks to all my friends here, I made 4 new things - Apricot
Pineapple Jam and Pomegranate Jelly. I also make Zucchini Pickles and
Zucchini Relish, something else I've never made before, but kinda had to
because of what came out of my garden! If they turn out to please the crowd
of recipients, they may turn in to annual projects.

I love doing this - and they love getting it!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:
(snippage)
> thanks Barb. It's very tasty stuff. I didn't have enuff fresh juice left
> for a second batch, so I made up the difference with a store bought pom
> juice blend. Then I used Certo Light 'cause that's all I had. 4 1/2 cups
> juice, 3 1/4 cups sugar, 1 box Certo Light. Also very tasty but not as
> clear.

Typical of the reduced-sugar pectin.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
> (snippage)
> > thanks Barb. It's very tasty stuff. I didn't have enuff fresh juice

left
> > for a second batch, so I made up the difference with a store bought pom
> > juice blend. Then I used Certo Light 'cause that's all I had. 4 1/2

cups
> > juice, 3 1/4 cups sugar, 1 box Certo Light. Also very tasty but not as
> > clear.

> Typical of the reduced-sugar pectin.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

yep - just what I expected too.....

still good stuff tho'

kathi

Pomegranates and Gin Steve Pope General Cooking 22 28-11-2010 11:37 PM
Pomegranates and Gin notbob General Cooking 3 27-11-2010 08:33 AM
pomegranates RichD General Cooking 20 03-12-2007 07:04 PM
Pomegranates Moosemeat General Cooking 34 25-03-2004 11:07 PM
Pomegranates James A. Finley Mexican Cooking 2 18-03-2004 10:32 PM