Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is the minimum temperature setting on your oven?

Mine is 170F.

****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 4:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

Mine is digital and I can set it 100 if I want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 6:25*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Oct 27, 4:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>
> > Mine is 170F.

> > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> > --Bryan

> Mine is digital and I can set it 100 if I want.

Mine is digital, but only goes down to 170. Grrr!

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2010 7:20 PM, Bryan wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

Haven't tried it....but I have gotten 150 before.

--
Currently reading: The Good House by Tannarive Due
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 4:28*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Oct 27, 6:25*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 27, 4:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Mine is 170F.

> > > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> > > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> > > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> > > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> > > --Bryan

> > Mine is digital and I can set it 100 if I want.

> Mine is digital, but only goes down to 170. *Grrr!
>
> --Bryan

Even set at 100, you can hardly feel any heat. I'm not convinced it
puts out heat at 100 but I've never set it to 100 for any reason. We
have a warming drawer that we can use but then I'm not sure how low or
how high it goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:28:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Oct 27, 6:25*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 4:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>>
>> > Mine is 170F.

>> > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
>> > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
>> > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
>> > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

>> > --Bryan

>> Mine is digital and I can set it 100 if I want.

>Mine is digital, but only goes down to 170. Grrr!

Mine is digital, but only goes down to 170ºF too.
I'd say Chemo needs to actually check hers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 7:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

Mine is 150F. I don't do anything under 300F.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:20:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

Mine is 150º but I've never checked it with an oven thermometer to see
how accurate that is. I wish the low was 100 for raising bread dough.
I have to heat the oven and then turn it off, like you. I keep my
tiles inside the oven, so heat is retained a bit longer.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 7:58*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:20:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > Mine is 170F.

> > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> Mine is 150º but I've never checked it with an oven thermometer to see
> how accurate that is. *I wish the low was 100 for raising bread dough.
> I have to heat the oven and then turn it off, like you. *I keep my
> tiles inside the oven, so heat is retained a bit longer.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

My dough seems to rise fine with just the oven light on.

I THEEENK my lowest setting is 200 - never really noticed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 00:32:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Mine is also 150°, and I've never seen an oven with a lower setting.
> If you're lucky enough to have an oven with a bottom warming drawer,
> it's ideal for raising dough.

I can only wish, Wayne. I have one space for a warming drawer, but
that would mean losing a real drawer.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 4:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

150F...magic chef gas oven, circa mid-1970's.

harriet & critters
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

I have a digital Kenmore. I can only go to 170F.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

The dial on the Hotpoint oven I have shows (arranged in a counter-clockwise
increasing circle since the dial would be rotated clockwise):

Warm . 200 . 250 . 300 . 350 . 400 . 450 . 500 . Broil

Seems like each in-between dot is a 25 degree increment, so that would make
the Warm setting 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 7:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

I think it's about 100, but I've never tested it. I occasionally use
the oven to warm plates, and then I set it at about 120, rather
than emptying the broiler pans out of the warming drawer and
using that. I don't think I've ever left the plates in long enough
to actually get them up to 120.

Shouldn't a pot roast get pretty hot, in order to break down
the collagen? I'm thinking 190 is the temp where that
happens, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 7:40*am, Cindy Hamilton >
wrote:
> On Oct 27, 7:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>
> > Mine is 170F.

> > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> > --Bryan

> I think it's about 100, but I've never tested it. *I occasionally use
> the oven to warm plates, and then I set it at about 120, rather
> than emptying the broiler pans out of the warming drawer and
> using that. *I don't think I've ever left the plates in long enough
> to actually get them up to 120.
>
> Shouldn't a pot roast get pretty hot, in order to break down
> the collagen? *I'm thinking 190 is the temp where that
> happens, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

At 190 it's stringy. A few years ago, I read something where someone
was making a case for low temperature braising uncovered. After
browning both sides, water is added to ~halfway up the sides of the
chuck roast. Then reduce temp to about 200 until the top of the roast
weeps with red, myoglobinny juices, then flip over and reduce heat to
150. In my case. I turned the oven off for about a half hour, then
back on to 170 for about 20, then off for 10 or 15, then back on at
170 for another 15 or so, then off and left sit in the cooling oven
for about a half hour. It was uniform pink inside.

I left the potatoes and carrots sit out overnight, and this morning I
fried the potatoes in peanut oil, then threw the carrots and beef in
the pan to heat them up. The carrots got good and warm, and the meat
back up to a little more than room temp on the very inside (I like
cool beef). Lots of black pepper and popcorn salt. A hearty
breakfast.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote on Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:48:57 -0400:

> Bryan wrote:
>> Mine is 170F.
>>
>> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to
>> look out for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp
>> of a pot roast to be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or
>> even 155, but F---. Instead I turn the oven
>> on-off-on-off...
>>
>> --Bryan

> I have a digital Kenmore. I can only go to 170F.

Same here with my digital Magic Chef. Comfortingly, an oven thermometer
indicates 170F once the temperature stabilizes. I have not got the time
to investigate temperature swings when maintaining the temperature.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Bwrrryan wrote:
>> Mine is 170F.
>>
>> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
>> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
>> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155,

I wish you would prepare pot roast at 150ºF, you'd all get a severe
case of food poisoning and hopefully only you'd die. Imbecile faggot
doesn't know that no matter how high the oven temperature the pot
roast can't cook above 212ºF. The proper way to make oven pot roast
is to start the oven at about 375ºF so it comes to the boil quickly
(about 30 minutes) then lower the thermostat to about 200ºF to
maintain a slow simmer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz dropped his pants and showed his
shortcomings:

>>> Mine is 170F.
>>>
>>> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
>>> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
>>> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155,

> I wish you would prepare pot roast at 150ºF, you'd all get a severe
> case of food poisoning and hopefully only you'd die. Imbecile faggot
> doesn't know that no matter how high the oven temperature the pot
> roast can't cook above 212ºF. The proper way to make oven pot roast
> is to start the oven at about 375ºF so it comes to the boil quickly
> (about 30 minutes) then lower the thermostat to about 200ºF to
> maintain a slow simmer.

Pussy fails to comprehend the difference between EXTERNAL temperature and
the clearly-stated INTERNAL temperature. Typical newbie ignorance.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:28:23 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I know you have a new range/cooktop so wouldn't be replacing it just for this feature.

Correct and I would never replace my cooktop with a range - although
I did see what you're talking about before the work was done. My main
focus was finding a 48" cooktop with a bbq grill, which was harder
than I thought it would be.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:20:34 -0700, Bryan wrote:

> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

Minimum setting on my (electric) oven is (allegedly) 60 deg C/140 deg F;
never actually tested if that is the case. However if I want to make a pot
roast I often utilize my Dutch oven on the stove top (on setting "1").
Both work well for me.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 9:48*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Oct 28, 7:40*am, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 27, 7:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Mine is 170F.

> > > ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> > > for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> > > be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> > > F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> > > --Bryan

> > I think it's about 100, but I've never tested it. *I occasionally use
> > the oven to warm plates, and then I set it at about 120, rather
> > than emptying the broiler pans out of the warming drawer and
> > using that. *I don't think I've ever left the plates in long enough
> > to actually get them up to 120.

> > Shouldn't a pot roast get pretty hot, in order to break down
> > the collagen? *I'm thinking 190 is the temp where that
> > happens, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

> At 190 it's stringy. *

Must be a difference in what you and I think of as pot
roast. To me, it's supposed to be fully cooked,
stringy, and soft. I usually pull it into portions with
a fork.

Nothing "pink" comes to my mind when you say "pot roast".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Oct 28, 9:48 am, Bryan > wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 7:40 am, Cindy Hamilton >
>> wrote:

>>> Shouldn't a pot roast get pretty hot, in order to break down
>>> the collagen? I'm thinking 190 is the temp where that
>>> happens, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

>> At 190 it's stringy.

> Must be a difference in what you and I think of as pot
> roast. To me, it's supposed to be fully cooked,
> stringy, and soft. I usually pull it into portions with
> a fork.

Absolutely. And there is a certain length of cooking where it's
in-between, before the collagen breaks down. You have to cook
it past that point or you're at the overdone roast beef stage.

I think cooking it at 200 degrees for a certain amount of time
is the point where you need to cook something like pot roast.
I imagine I learned that on either Good Eats or Test Kitchen.
It's not just an arbitrary number someone dreamed up.

> Nothing "pink" comes to my mind when you say "pot roast".

Agreed, that's roast beef if it's pink.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz dropped his pants and showed his
> shortcomings:

> > I wish you would prepare pot roast at 150ºF, you'd all get a severe
> > case of food poisoning and hopefully only you'd die. Imbecile faggot
> > doesn't know that no matter how high the oven temperature the pot
> > roast can't cook above 212ºF. The proper way to make oven pot roast
> > is to start the oven at about 375ºF so it comes to the boil quickly
> > (about 30 minutes) then lower the thermostat to about 200ºF to
> > maintain a slow simmer.

> Pussy fails to comprehend the difference between EXTERNAL temperature and
> the clearly-stated INTERNAL temperature. Typical newbie ignorance.

Not that I really understand what Bryan is trying to do, but I think
it's Bryan who might be misunderstanding how things work in an oven. I
think it's Bryan who wants to set the oven temperature to the
temperature that he wants the pot roast to finally achieve.

The heating element in an oven, whether gas or electric, only heats the
air in the oven. That air, which doesn't have a lot of heat capacity,
only heats the outside of the cooking vessel. As the cooking vessel
heats, it heats the liquid inside it. That liquid then heats the
outside of the pot roast. I also would have concerns about food safety
for a cold pot roast in cold liquid in a cold pot in a cold oven, and
then turning the oven on to 140F.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Not that I really understand what Bryan is trying to do, but I think
> it's Bryan who might be misunderstanding how things work in an oven.
> I think it's Bryan who wants to set the oven temperature to the
> temperature that he wants the pot roast to finally achieve.

I was reminded of someone who told the story about their
sister making a turkey ... took forever for the bird to reach
325. (laugh) That had to be some dry turkey.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:20:15 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, ChattyCathy
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:20:34 -0700, Bryan wrote:
>
>> Mine is 170F.
>>
>> ****es me off. I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
>> for my safety. Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
>> be anywhere near that? I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
>> F---. Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

>Minimum setting on my (electric) oven is (allegedly) 60 deg C/140 deg F;
>never actually tested if that is the case. However if I want to make a pot
>roast I often utilize my Dutch oven on the stove top (on setting "1").
>Both work well for me.

My electric oven ranges from 30C (86 F) to 300 C (572 F).

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:58:25 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz dropped his pants and showed his
>shortcomings:

>> I wish you would prepare pot roast at 150ºF, you'd all get a severe
>> case of food poisoning and hopefully only you'd die. Imbecile faggot
>> doesn't know that no matter how high the oven temperature the pot
>> roast can't cook above 212ºF. The proper way to make oven pot roast
>> is to start the oven at about 375ºF so it comes to the boil quickly
>> (about 30 minutes) then lower the thermostat to about 200ºF to
>> maintain a slow simmer.

>Pussy fails to comprehend the difference between EXTERNAL temperature and
>the clearly-stated INTERNAL temperature. Typical newbie ignorance.
>
>Boob

You are truly a ****in' moroon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:25:51 +0100, Doug Weller
> wrote:

> My electric oven ranges from 30C (86 F) to 300 C (572 F).

Wow! I want that oven.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:30:56 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 9:48 am, Bryan > wrote:

>>> At 190 it's stringy.

>> Must be a difference in what you and I think of as pot
>> roast. To me, it's supposed to be fully cooked,
>> stringy, and soft. I usually pull it into portions with
>> a fork.

> Absolutely. And there is a certain length of cooking where it's
> in-between, before the collagen breaks down. You have to cook
> it past that point or you're at the overdone roast beef stage.
>
> I think cooking it at 200 degrees for a certain amount of time
> is the point where you need to cook something like pot roast.
> I imagine I learned that on either Good Eats or Test Kitchen.
> It's not just an arbitrary number someone dreamed up.
>
>> Nothing "pink" comes to my mind when you say "pot roast".

> Agreed, that's roast beef if it's pink.
>
> nancy

i have made pot roast on the stove top many times using a thick cut of beef
with a definite grain and had it come out tender, yet pink on the inside.
maybe with the oven is different, because i will have turned the meat
several times. the liquid (in this case, mostly beer and pineapple juice)
is about one-third up the way of the meat and held to a bare simmer.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 4:34*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:30:56 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Must be a difference in what you and I think of as pot
> >> roast. *To me, it's supposed to be fully cooked,
> >> stringy, and soft. *I usually pull it into portions with
> >> a fork.

> > Absolutely. *And there is a certain length of cooking where it's
> > in-between, before the collagen breaks down. *You have to cook
> > it past that point or you're at the overdone roast beef stage.

> > I think cooking it at 200 degrees for a certain amount of time
> > is the point where you need to cook something like pot roast.
> > I imagine I learned that on either Good Eats or Test Kitchen.
> > It's not just an arbitrary number someone dreamed up.

> >> Nothing "pink" comes to my mind when you say "pot roast".

> > Agreed, that's roast beef if it's pink. *

> > nancy

> i have made pot roast on the stove top many times using a thick cut of beef
> with a definite grain and had it come out tender, yet pink on the inside.
> maybe with the oven is different, because i will have turned the meat
> several times. *the liquid (in this case, mostly beer and pineapple juice)
> is about one-third up the way of the meat and held to a bare simmer.

Fresh, uncooked pineapple juice will tenderize beef. At about 140F,
the enzyme in the pineapple denatures.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:08:46 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> On Oct 29, 4:34*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

>>> Absolutely. *And there is a certain length of cooking where it's
>>> in-between, before the collagen breaks down. *You have to cook
>>> it past that point or you're at the overdone roast beef stage.

>>> I think cooking it at 200 degrees for a certain amount of time
>>> is the point where you need to cook something like pot roast.
>>> I imagine I learned that on either Good Eats or Test Kitchen.
>>> It's not just an arbitrary number someone dreamed up.

>>> Agreed, that's roast beef if it's pink. *

>>> nancy

>> i have made pot roast on the stove top many times using a thick cut of beef
>> with a definite grain and had it come out tender, yet pink on the inside.
>> maybe with the oven is different, because i will have turned the meat
>> several times. *the liquid (in this case, mostly beer and pineapple juice)
>> is about one-third up the way of the meat and held to a bare simmer.

> Fresh, uncooked pineapple juice will tenderize beef. At about 140F,
> the enzyme in the pineapple denatures.

what i use is just the canned stuff from dole.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:17:39 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:08:46 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

>>> i have made pot roast on the stove top many times using a thick cut of beef
>>> with a definite grain and had it come out tender, yet pink on the inside.
>>> maybe with the oven is different, because i will have turned the meat
>>> several times. *the liquid (in this case, mostly beer and pineapple juice)
>>> is about one-third up the way of the meat and held to a bare simmer.

>> Fresh, uncooked pineapple juice will tenderize beef. At about 140F,
>> the enzyme in the pineapple denatures.

>what i use is just the canned stuff from dole.
>
>blake

That'll flavor but it won't tenderize.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 12:22*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:17:39 -0400, blake murphy
>

> > wrote:

> >> Fresh, uncooked pineapple juice will tenderize beef. *At about 140F,
> >> the enzyme in the pineapple denatures.

> >what i use is just the canned stuff from dole.

> >blake

> That'll flavor but it won't tenderize.

Correct.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:22:03 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:17:39 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> Fresh, uncooked pineapple juice will tenderize beef. At about 140F,
>>> the enzyme in the pineapple denatures.

>>what i use is just the canned stuff from dole.
>>
>>blake

> That'll flavor but it won't tenderize.

i'm not looking for it to tenderize - the braise does that.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OFF".

HTH, ;-)
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> "OFF".
>
> HTH, ;-)
> Bob

<g>
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote on Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:44:30 -0500:

> "OFF".

> HTH, ;-)
> Bob

Funny! However, it's not really applicable to my oven that has digital
setting of temperature with up and down arrows after pressing "Temp Set"
but is turned off by pressing "Cancel". Tho the minimum settable
temperature is 170F, the oven will display a minim temperature of 75F
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 7:20*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Mine is 170F.
>
> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...
>
> --Bryan

If you tried cooking a roast at 150 F it would literally take all day
for the internal temperature to get that high. You'd also run the
risk of food poisoning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 6:32*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 31/10/2010 7:09 PM, wrote:
>
> > On Oct 27, 7:20 pm, > *wrote:
> >> Mine is 170F.

> >> ****es me off. *I'm sure that some knucklehead is trying to look out
> >> for my safety. *Who the heck wants the internal temp of a pot roast to
> >> be anywhere near that? *I could understand 150F, or even 155, but
> >> F---. *Instead I turn the oven on-off-on-off...

> >> --Bryan

> > If you tried cooking a roast at 150 F it would literally take all day
> > for the internal temperature to get that high. *You'd also run the
> > risk of food poisoning.

> Run the risk? *Isn't that assuming that it would be pretty well
> guaranteed to be Tomaine City? There would be lots of time at the ideal
> temperature to make it flourish and never hot enough to kill it.

If it's browned on the outside first at high temp, then the seared
meat cooked very slowly, I don't see the risk, especially since I've
done similar things numerous times, without any ill effects, but hey,
I eat raw hamburger too, also apparently to no ill effect.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 12:12*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
> > Not that I really understand what Bryan is trying to do, but I think
> > it's Bryan who might be misunderstanding how things work in an oven.
> > I think it's Bryan who wants to set the oven temperature to the
> > temperature that he wants the pot roast to finally achieve.

> I was reminded of someone who told the story about their
> sister making a turkey ... took forever for the bird to reach
> 325. *(laugh) *That had to be some dry turkey.
>
> nancy *

Ouch!! Internal temp of the turkey? YOW!!!! Turkey BRICK!

John Kuthe...