Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yet another REC: Applesauce Cake

It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this

APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)

1 3/8 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1/3 cup peanut oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
1/2 pound carrots, shredded
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.

Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.

Another Note: Once again, I have no source on my written recipe. Sorry!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 6:03*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
> just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this
>
> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)
>
> 1 3/8 cups flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 1/3 cup peanut oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
> 1/2 pound carrots, shredded
> 1/2 cup golden raisins
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
> smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
> applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
> mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. *Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
> Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.
>
> Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
> recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.

I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 2, 4:53 pm, Kalmia > wrote:

> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
> thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.

Because most people have a tablespoon and don't find it difficult to
fill it twice? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:03:42 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)

Thanks, Felice. Copied and saved.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
> thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.

Many grocery stores and drugstores have these. The trick is to watch
the labeling. They are called "coffee measures", not "measuring cups".
The last one I bought, was marked 1/8c on it, after I unwrapped it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Sep 2, 6:03 pm, "Felice" > wrote:
>> It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
>> just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this
>>
>> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)
>>
>> 1 3/8 cups flour
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
>> 2 eggs
>> 1/3 cup peanut oil
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
>> 7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
>> 1/2 pound carrots, shredded
>> 1/2 cup golden raisins
>> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>>
>> Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
>> smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
>> applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
>> mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
>> Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.
>>
>> Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
>> recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.

> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
> thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.

I have 1/8th cup and 2 Tbsp measures and a variety of other odd ones.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:

>> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
>> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
>> thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
>> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.
>>

> I have 1/8th cup and 2 Tbsp measures and a variety of other odd ones.

If 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, then 1/8 = 2 Tbsp.
Easier for me than keeping track of another measuring cup.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2010 6:03 PM, Felice wrote:
> It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
> just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this
>
> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)
>
> 1 3/8 cups flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 1/3 cup peanut oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
> 1/2 pound carrots, shredded
> 1/2 cup golden raisins
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
> smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
> applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
> mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
> Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.
>
> Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
> recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.
>
> Another Note: Once again, I have no source on my written recipe. Sorry!
>
> Felice

Sounds good.
Mother always used mostly applesauce and little four and more real
cinnamon. I hope one of us finds her recipe.
As for cinnamon we have not been able to find the real stuff for a long
time. Where do you find it? we have several containers that say they are
cinnamon but the flavor is definitely weak and not the cinnamon of
yesteryear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:

>>> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
>>> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, one
>>> thin dime each. Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
>>> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.
>>>

>> I have 1/8th cup and 2 Tbsp measures and a variety of other odd ones.
>>

> If 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, then 1/8 = 2 Tbsp.
> Easier for me than keeping track of another measuring cup.
>
> gloria p

Yes, I did know that 1/8th cup = 2 Tbsp. Couldn't quite tell
whether that needed to be clarified. Such things are sometimes
handy when you are measuring several gloppy things and dry things.
Of course, just having a plethora of measuring spoons and cups
would also take care of that issue.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:26:08 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> If 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, then 1/8 = 2 Tbsp.
> Easier for me than keeping track of another measuring cup.

"keep track"??? Don't you nestle them together and keep them in one
place only? A 1/8 cup should fit nicely into the 1/4 cup measure.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lil abner" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/2010 6:03 PM, Felice wrote:
>> It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
>> just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this
>>
>> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)

<snipped recipe, but you already have it!.

>> Felice

> Sounds good.
> Mother always used mostly applesauce and little four and more real
> cinnamon. I hope one of us finds her recipe.
> As for cinnamon we have not been able to find the real stuff for a long
> time. Where do you find it? we have several containers that say they are
> cinnamon but the flavor is definitely weak and not the cinnamon of
> yesteryear.

Ah! You must discover Penzey's! www.penzeys.com You'll find more different
cinnamons than you'll know what to do with!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 6:53*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Sep 2, 6:03*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
>

> > It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
> > just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this

> > APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)

> > 1 3/8 cups flour
> > 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> > 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> > 2 eggs
> > 1/3 cup peanut oil
> > 1 cup sugar
> > 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> > 7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
> > 1/2 pound carrots, shredded
> > 1/2 cup golden raisins
> > 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

> > Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
> > smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
> > applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
> > mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. *Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
> > Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.

> > Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
> > recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.

> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, *one
> thin dime each. *Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.- Hide quoted text -

I thought a coffee measure was 1/8 C. (2 T.) - never compared them
because my stainless set has a 1/8 C.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2010 5:03 PM, Felice wrote:
> It's been a busy week in Lake Wobegon, so here's another favorite that I
> just turned out. I have several applesauce cakes but we call this
>
> APPLESAUCE CAKE (THE MOIST ONE)
>
> 1 3/8 cups flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 2 eggs
> 1/3 cup peanut oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 7-8 ounces jarred applesauce
> 1/2 pound carrots, shredded
> 1/2 cup golden raisins
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Mix flour, baking, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. In
> smaller bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Add the
> applesauce and carrots and mix well. Add the applesauce mixture to the flour
> mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. Fold in the raisins and walnuts.
> Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake about 30-35 minutes at 350.
>
> Note: You see a lot of fractional measurements? That's because I halved the
> recipe. I believe the original called for a 9x13 pan.
>
> Another Note: Once again, I have no source on my written recipe. Sorry!
>
> Felice

That looks yummy. I saved it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message

<snippity snip>

> Thanks Felice! I made this successfully for coffee hour this past
> weekend. The only subs I made were canola for peanut oil (we have a
> couple of people with peanut sensitivities) and a lot of Penzey's Baking
> Spice for the listed spices. It was tasty and I will be doing it again as
> a "Dairy Free" baked good. The hardest part was shredding carrots on the
> box grater.

OMG! You have more patience than I do. I chunk the carrots and then toss 'em
in the Cuisinart. Glad you enjoyed it, though, after all that work!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 11:26*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
> > Kalmia wrote:

> >> I treat my 1/8 C measure like gold - it came from a yard sale of
> >> assorted Tupperware stuff, along with a 2/3 and 3/4 C measures, *one
> >> thin dime each. *Why oh why is it so hard to find 1/8 C dry measures?
> >> I have never seen one outside of that yardsale.

> > I have 1/8th cup and 2 Tbsp measures and a variety of other odd ones.

> If 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, then 1/8 = 2 Tbsp.
> Easier for me than keeping track of another measuring cup.
>
> gloria p

I use my coffee scoop!
of course, instead of 2 coffee scoops for a pot of coffee, you'd think
I'd just fill the 1/4 measure once. (It's a 4 cup Mr Coffee). But I
am used to using the coffee scoop. Years ago, Chock Full O Nuts
included a scoop in each cans. They stopped about 10-15 years ago. Now
I have a nice long handled scoop that I picked up at Zabars in NYC for
$1 several years ago. I just like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Felice > wrote:

>"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
>
><snippity snip>
>
>> Thanks Felice! I made this successfully for coffee hour this past
>> weekend. The only subs I made were canola for peanut oil (we have a
>> couple of people with peanut sensitivities) and a lot of Penzey's Baking
>> Spice for the listed spices. It was tasty and I will be doing it again as
>> a "Dairy Free" baked good. The hardest part was shredding carrots on the
>> box grater.

>OMG! You have more patience than I do. I chunk the carrots and then toss 'em
>in the Cuisinart. Glad you enjoyed it, though, after all that work!

The FP bowl assembly for my KitchenAid Duo is on the list of things I plan
to replace when I have a regular job again. In the meantime, I do have
the box grater .

Charlotte

Applesauce cake Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 0 27-08-2013 10:08 AM
repost: applesauce cake Elderberry Blossom Vegan 0 11-07-2006 06:01 PM
Applesauce Cake Curly Sue General Cooking 4 03-01-2006 03:07 PM
Applesauce Cake Tim Recipes 0 06-07-2005 02:14 AM
Applesauce Cake (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 01-12-2003 04:57 PM