Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vanilla - how much bean = 1 oz. of extract?

My second, and I think last, question about vanilla. We've been making
simple syrup here and using it mostly to sweeten iced tea and coffee. I
asked, in another thread, about vanilla beans, because I wanted to try
adding vanilla beans in some form to my simple syrup, thinking it might
taste better than using vanilla extract. Any idea how many beans to use
and exactly how? Most recipes for vanilla syrup are just one cup water,
one cup sugar, and one teaspoon vanilla extract.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> My second, and I think last, question about vanilla. We've been making
> simple syrup here and using it mostly to sweeten iced tea and coffee. I
> asked, in another thread, about vanilla beans, because I wanted to try
> adding vanilla beans in some form to my simple syrup, thinking it might
> taste better than using vanilla extract. Any idea how many beans to use
> and exactly how? Most recipes for vanilla syrup are just one cup water,
> one cup sugar, and one teaspoon vanilla extract.

I am not sure that I see the point. I use vanilla beans for ice cream
and occasionally for good custards where Vanilla is the primary flavour.
I wouldn't waste vanilla beans where it is only an enhancement to
another flavour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I am not sure that I see the point. I use vanilla beans for ice cream
> and occasionally for good custards where Vanilla is the primary flavour.
> I wouldn't waste vanilla beans where it is only an enhancement to
> another flavour.

I agree. BUT, that said, you could certainly put a used bean (used for
some other delicious vanilla treat) into a canister of sugar and make
vanilla sugar. Use that to sweeten your iced tea and see if you like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> My second, and I think last, question about vanilla. We've been making
> simple syrup here and using it mostly to sweeten iced tea and coffee. I
> asked, in another thread, about vanilla beans, because I wanted to try
> adding vanilla beans in some form to my simple syrup, thinking it might
> taste better than using vanilla extract. Any idea how many beans to use
> and exactly how? Most recipes for vanilla syrup are just one cup water,
> one cup sugar, and one teaspoon vanilla extract.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

Every recipe I have seen for vanilla extract puts the beans in
alcohol--vodka, bourbon, etc.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p > wrote:

>Every recipe I have seen for vanilla extract puts the beans in
>alcohol--vodka, bourbon, etc.

Good point.

I don't think vanilla is in any way unique among flavor components
that magnify when extracted with alcohol. Another two are lemon
zest, and saffron. I'd like to say "anything where the flavor
component does not dissolve well in water but does in alcohol",
but that may be too sweeping.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2010 5:49 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> Every recipe I have seen for vanilla extract puts the beans in
> alcohol--vodka, bourbon, etc.
>
> gloria p

Penzey's vanilla extract is 32% alcohol.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote on Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:22:25 -0500:

> On 7/21/2010 5:49 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>> Every recipe I have seen for vanilla extract puts the beans
>> in alcohol--vodka, bourbon, etc.
>>
>> gloria p

> Penzey's vanilla extract is 32% alcohol.

The Wiki article on vanilla extract seems essentially correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_extract

What it does not really emphasize is that vanilin is not the totality of
the flavor of real vanilla so a vanillin solution is a poor substitute
for real vanilla extract.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:56:08 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> gloria.p > wrote:
>
>>Every recipe I have seen for vanilla extract puts the beans in
>>alcohol--vodka, bourbon, etc.

> Good point.
>
> I don't think vanilla is in any way unique among flavor components
> that magnify when extracted with alcohol. Another two are lemon
> zest, and saffron. I'd like to say "anything where the flavor
> component does not dissolve well in water but does in alcohol",
> but that may be too sweeping.
>
> Steve

i don't no about 'magnify,' but alcohol sure dissolves a lot of things that
water doesn't.

your pal,
blake