Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default storing trail mix in the fridge

I tried to find a more suitable group for this question, but
couldn't. So thanks if anyone from this group can chime in what they
know.

My trail mix contains nuts and dried fruit. From web surfing, it
seems that for long term storage, dried goods can be stored in an air-
tight container in a cool dry place (I don't know why dryness is
important if the container is air tight). After it has been opened,
however, it is recommended the container be resealed and stored in the
fridge for 1 to 1.5 months.

My scenario is that I buy trail from bulk bins and put them in an air
tight jar in the fridge. I use the trail mix a few times a week, and
it lasts for about a month. It seems to be aligned with the above
general wisdom.

However, I have heard that, at least for coffee beans and ground
coffee, storing the sealed container in the fridge will cause the
moisture in the air within the jar to condense, which quickly causes
the coffee to degrade. The moist air gets into the jar whenever I
open and get some coffee. When it is in the fridge, it condenses.
Next time I open the jar, more moist air goes in, and more
condensation forms when it cools in the fridge. Hense, the condensed
moisture accumulates.

My main quesution is why is this not a concern for dried goods such as
trail mix?

And as a secondary curiosity (not the main question), wouldn't the
fridge be a good storage place for long term storage, i.e., without
frequent opening of the sealed container?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

AndyHancock wrote:

> My main quesution is why is this not a concern for dried goods such as
> trail mix?

perhaps it is the point you make about it
being consumed quickly enough that it doesn't
matter or doesn't make a noticeable difference.

one way to avoid condensation would be to
let the container come to room temperature
before opening it.

or i suppose you could get out the hair
dryer and retoast the top of the jar to
remove some of any condensation, but that
sounds a bit funny.

> And as a secondary curiosity (not the main question), wouldn't the
> fridge be a good storage place for long term storage, i.e., without
> frequent opening of the sealed container?

sure, but for many kinds of nuts the freezer can
be a better place for storage for longer term as
it will keep the oils from going rancid.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/8/2012 6:24 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
> I tried to find a more suitable group for this question, but
> couldn't. So thanks if anyone from this group can chime in what they
> know.
>
> My trail mix contains nuts and dried fruit. From web surfing, it
> seems that for long term storage, dried goods can be stored in an air-
> tight container in a cool dry place (I don't know why dryness is
> important if the container is air tight). After it has been opened,
> however, it is recommended the container be resealed and stored in the
> fridge for 1 to 1.5 months.

Once you have let oxygen into the container, it will start to turn the
oils in the nuts rancid. Keeping it in the fridge slows the process down.

> My scenario is that I buy trail from bulk bins and put them in an air
> tight jar in the fridge. I use the trail mix a few times a week, and
> it lasts for about a month. It seems to be aligned with the above
> general wisdom.

If you are using it up in a month, it probably doesn't matter how you
store it. Keeping it out of direct light would be my goal.

> However, I have heard that, at least for coffee beans and ground
> coffee, storing the sealed container in the fridge will cause the
> moisture in the air within the jar to condense, which quickly causes
> the coffee to degrade. The moist air gets into the jar whenever I
> open and get some coffee. When it is in the fridge, it condenses.
> Next time I open the jar, more moist air goes in, and more
> condensation forms when it cools in the fridge. Hense, the condensed
> moisture accumulates.

It also lets in wild yeasts, molds and other nasties. Coffee has not
been treated with sulfates to retard molds and such. The fruit in your
trail mix probably has.

> My main quesution is why is this not a concern for dried goods such as
> trail mix?

See above

> And as a secondary curiosity (not the main question), wouldn't the
> fridge be a good storage place for long term storage, i.e., without
> frequent opening of the sealed container?

I keep a couple of pounds of coffee in my freezer. This is sent to me
from Hawaii. I don't use it every day. Usually I would only buy these
things, (food items stored at room temp.) in quantities which would last
about a week, but the shipping from Hawaii is such that I feel obligated
to purchase 5 pounds at a time. So, my Kona coffee lives in the
freezer, and I dip into it once a week, or so.

Just my .02

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 9, 11:03 pm, songbird > wrote:
> AndyHancock wrote:
>> My main quesution is why is this not a concern for dried goods such
>> as trail mix?

> perhaps it is the point you make about it being consumed quickly
> enough that it doesn't matter or doesn't make a noticeable
> difference.

I would have expected a month-long exposure to moisture would be
detrimental, but I'm not basing this on any scientific knowledge on my
part. It's just that if I left a damp rag in the corner, and kept it
damp for a few weeks, it would get stinky.

> one way to avoid condensation would be to let the container come to
> room temperature before opening it.

Yes, that would certainly work. It wouldn't be convenient, but it
would work.

> or i suppose you could get out the hair dryer and retoast the top of
> the jar to remove some of any condensation, but that sounds a bit
> funny.

The stuff on the inside would still be cold, though. The moment room
air contacts the cold stuff, moisture would condense out of the air
onto the surface of the stuff.

>> And as a secondary curiosity (not the main question), wouldn't the
>> fridge be a good storage place for long term storage, i.e., without
>> frequent opening of the sealed container?

> sure, but for many kinds of nuts the freezer can be a better place
> for storage for longer term as it will keep the oils from going
> rancid.

I can see that rationale. However, I was contrasting the option of
long term storage in the fridge rather than a cool dark place. The
latter seems to pervade the information I found in my web wanderings.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 10, 12:59 pm, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> On 10/8/2012 6:24 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
>> I tried to find a more suitable group for this question, but
>> couldn't. So thanks if anyone from this group can chime in what
>> they know.

>> My trail mix contains nuts and dried fruit. From web surfing, it
>> seems that for long term storage, dried goods can be stored in an
>> air- tight container in a cool dry place (I don't know why dryness
>> is important if the container is air tight). After it has been
>> opened, however, it is recommended the container be resealed and
>> stored in the fridge for 1 to 1.5 months.

> Once you have let oxygen into the container, it will start to turn
> the oils in the nuts rancid. Keeping it in the fridge slows the
> process down.

Makes sense.

>> My scenario is that I buy trail from bulk bins and put them in an
>> air tight jar in the fridge. I use the trail mix a few times a
>> week, and it lasts for about a month. It seems to be aligned with
>> the above general wisdom.

> If you are using it up in a month, it probably doesn't matter how
> you store it. Keeping it out of direct light would be my goal.

Good to know. This is pretty well my current practice.

>> However, I have heard that, at least for coffee beans and ground
>> coffee, storing the sealed container in the fridge will cause the
>> moisture in the air within the jar to condense, which quickly
>> causes the coffee to degrade. The moist air gets into the jar
>> whenever I open and get some coffee. When it is in the fridge, it
>> condenses. Next time I open the jar, more moist air goes in, and
>> more condensation forms when it cools in the fridge. Hense, the
>> condensed moisture accumulates.

> It also lets in wild yeasts, molds and other nasties. Coffee has
> not been treated with sulfates to retard molds and such. The fruit
> in your trail mix probably has.

Now this is unsettling. Next time I visit the shop, I will check the
ingredients.

>> My main quesution is why is this not a concern for dried goods such
>> as trail mix?

> See above
>

>> And as a secondary curiosity (not the main question), wouldn't the
>> fridge be a good storage place for long term storage, i.e., without
>> frequent opening of the sealed container?

> I keep a couple of pounds of coffee in my freezer. This is sent to
> me from Hawaii. I don't use it every day. Usually I would only buy
> these things, (food items stored at room temp.) in quantities which
> would last about a week, but the shipping from Hawaii is such that I
> feel obligated to purchase 5 pounds at a time. So, my Kona coffee
> lives in the freezer, and I dip into it once a week, or so.
>
> Just my .02

Makes sense. Thanks.