Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Memorial Day 'Q

I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
unable to use my offset.

He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
home! :-)

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-511A37.18415430052010
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> unable to use my offset.
>
> He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> home! :-)
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

What's an 'offset'??

And that corn sure looks nice and fresh and juicy.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Simple Simon met a pie man going to the fair.
Said Simple Simon to the pie man
'What have u got there?'
Said the pie man unto Simon
Pies you dickhead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 30, 4:41*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> unable to use my offset.
>
> He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> home! :-)
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. *--Alex Levine

Hey Om, my two sisters (both older than I ) are here for a visit
and the three of us have had a blast for the past week with no
husbands, children, etc, just us three. So since today is the World
Famous Ski to Sea Race here we are
doing the bbq today. I'm doing rack of lamb on the grill with my
muscadine sauce, a risotto and fresh asparagus.
My oldest sister makes a wonderful muscadine jam/sauce that I use in
the wine reduction for the sauce for the lamb and I wanted to make it
for her since she's never had it.

If you are not familiar with the Ski to Sea Race, here's some info.
I can see the last leg from my deck overlooking
the bay and we can watch the kayaks and then walk down to the end of
the race where the street fair is in full swing.

The race is a seven leg relay from Mt. Baker to the sea. It's quite
an event and draws over 400 teams from around
the world.

http://www.skitosea.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-511A37.18415430052010
> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>
> > I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> > pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> > chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> > unable to use my offset.
> >
> > He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> > home! :-)
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

> What's an 'offset'??

The fire box is off to the side of the BBQ pit.
The baffle and chimney allow for the heat and smoke flow and there is a
temp gauge installed close to the smoke outlet.

> And that corn sure looks nice and fresh and juicy.

I nuke corn in the husk. :-) Works well!

And, thanks...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On May 30, 4:41*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> > pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> > chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> > unable to use my offset.
> >
> > He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> > home! :-)
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> > *Only Irish *coffee provides in a single glass all four *essential food
> > groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar *and fat. *--Alex Levine

> Hey Om, my two sisters (both older than I ) are here for a visit
> and the three of us have had a blast for the past week with no
> husbands, children, etc, just us three. So since today is the World
> Famous Ski to Sea Race here we are
> doing the bbq today. I'm doing rack of lamb on the grill with my
> muscadine sauce, a risotto and fresh asparagus.
> My oldest sister makes a wonderful muscadine jam/sauce that I use in
> the wine reduction for the sauce for the lamb and I wanted to make it
> for her since she's never had it.
>
> If you are not familiar with the Ski to Sea Race, here's some info.
> I can see the last leg from my deck overlooking
> the bay and we can watch the kayaks and then walk down to the end of
> the race where the street fair is in full swing.
>
> The race is a seven leg relay from Mt. Baker to the sea. It's quite
> an event and draws over 400 teams from around
> the world.
>
> http://www.skitosea.com/

Hey thanks for that! Sounds like fun... :-)
I have a fence full of Muscadine vines and pruned them well this past
winter in hopes that I'll get grapes this fall for my brother in law to
make wine. He is good at it!

I'll know by August 1st if I am going to get a decent crop this year...

How do you make your Muscadine sauce???
Mom used to make a killer Muscadine grape jelly.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> unable to use my offset.
>
> He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> home! :-)
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

This picture is great!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_M91cmSxVuq8/TA...latedSmall.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> If you are not familiar with the Ski to Sea Race, here's some info.
> I can see the last leg from my deck overlooking
> the bay and we can watch the kayaks and then walk down to the end of
> the race where the street fair is in full swing.
>
> The race is a seven leg relay from Mt. Baker to the sea. It's quite
> an event and draws over 400 teams from around
> the world.
>
> http://www.skitosea.com/

Neat that you can see part of that! Never heard of it before, but now I
have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-E9C3EE.19074830052010
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> PL > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-

511A37.18415430052010
>> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>>
>> > I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
>> > pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the

electric
>> > chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
>> > unable to use my offset.
>> >
>> > He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
>> > home! :-)

<http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

>> What's an 'offset'??

> The fire box is off to the side of the BBQ pit.
> The baffle and chimney allow for the heat and smoke flow and there is a
> temp gauge installed close to the smoke outlet.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, hot smoking.

I wouldn't mind trying that on some trout.

>> And that corn sure looks nice and fresh and juicy.

> I nuke corn in the husk. :-) Works well!
>
> And, thanks...

Bitte :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Simple Simon met a pie man going to the fair.
Said Simple Simon to the pie man
'What have u got there?'
Said the pie man unto Simon
Pies you dickhead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 18:41:54 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

I have a question. When I go to your links, I don't need to sign in -
but I always need to sign in when another poster (sorry, I don't
remember who it is) posts Picasa links. What are you doing that the
other poster isn't?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
>pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
>chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
>unable to use my offset.
>
>He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
>home! :-)
>
><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

Looks good.

I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg

You'd love my big succulent meaty bones:
http://i50.tinypic.com/4rf5uh.jpg

Was a lovely day, 80º and sunny:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2hdwo7o.jpg

And just as I snapped the above picture I heard honking and looked up,
they were moving:
http://i48.tinypic.com/70ano3.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> > pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> > chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> > unable to use my offset.
> >
> > He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> > home! :-)
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

> This picture is great!
> http://lh5.ggpht.com/_M91cmSxVuq8/TA...w5GS8/s640/03M
> emDay2010PlatedSmall.jpg

Thanks Cheryl! A bit darker in the background than I'd have liked, but
it worked. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> >> What's an 'offset'??

> > The fire box is off to the side of the BBQ pit.
> > The baffle and chimney allow for the heat and smoke flow and there is a
> > temp gauge installed close to the smoke outlet.

> Ahhhhhhhhhh, hot smoking.
>
> I wouldn't mind trying that on some trout.

Works a treat on Salmon fillets.
I need to try it on catfish too one of these years.

> >> And that corn sure looks nice and fresh and juicy.

> > I nuke corn in the husk. :-) Works well!
> >
> > And, thanks...

> Bitte :-)
>
> Peter Lucas

Nuking corn in an unopened husk really is the gods...
I share that hint as often as I can! :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 18:41:54 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

> I have a question. When I go to your links, I don't need to sign in -
> but I always need to sign in when another poster (sorry, I don't
> remember who it is) posts Picasa links. What are you doing that the
> other poster isn't?

I wish I knew... I use a personal link that I have set up after I sign
in maybe?
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> Looks good.
>
> I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg

I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very light
sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> >I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> >pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> >chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> >unable to use my offset.
> >
> >He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> >home! :-)
> >
> ><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

> Looks good.

Thanks!

> I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg
>
> You'd love my big succulent meaty bones:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/4rf5uh.jpg

<lol> Looks very edible to me!

> Was a lovely day, 80º and sunny:
> http://i50.tinypic.com/2hdwo7o.jpg

It was in the 90's here. Which is why I was glad the BIL came over early
to get rid of that damned Hackberry branch that was draped over the pit!
My shoulders are too screwed up right now for me to wield the chainsaw.
A fact that I am none too pleased about. The base of the branch was a
good 10" across which made it too heavy to prune and move. :-(

And I've already expressed my appreciation of said pics. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-BCD98F.21085030052010
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> PL > wrote:
>

> Nuking corn in an unopened husk really is the gods...
> I share that hint as often as I can! :-)

I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them in the Weber with
the husks on, but now usually de-husk , wrap in alfoil with some salt, pepper
and garlic butter, and bake like that.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 30, 5:10*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> How do you make your Muscadine sauce???
> Mom used to make a killer Muscadine grape jelly.
> --
> Peace! Om

I'll get my sister's recipe and post it for you. You are SO lucky to
have muscadine vines!!! They
don't grow here in WA and I really really wish they did.

I'll post the recipe for you tomorrow or Tuesday when I have more
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
>pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
>chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
>unable to use my offset.
>
>He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
>home! :-)
>
><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

Wow, that looks awesome. Love the plated shot.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 05/22/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> >
> > Looks good.
> >
> > I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
> > http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg

> I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
> and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
> I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
> and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very light
> sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals. <g>

Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!

I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
And it's fun...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-BCD98F.21085030052010
> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>
> > In article >,
> > PL > wrote:
> >

> > Nuking corn in an unopened husk really is the gods...
> > I share that hint as often as I can! :-)

> I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them in the Weber with
> the husks on, but now usually de-husk , wrap in alfoil with some salt, pepper
> and garlic butter, and bake like that.

They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk off, and the
husk seals in the sweetness.

Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and run cold
water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains enough heat to dry
itself in seconds so you can add butter or whatever else you like to
treat it with.

5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On May 30, 5:10*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > How do you make your Muscadine sauce???
> > Mom used to make a killer Muscadine grape jelly.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I'll get my sister's recipe and post it for you. You are SO lucky to
> have muscadine vines!!! They
> don't grow here in WA and I really really wish they did.
>
> I'll post the recipe for you tomorrow or Tuesday when I have more
> time.

I'd appreciate it. <g>

Have you tried starting some there? Be careful as they tend to take
over! The vines can be ordered on line.
I grow them as fence cover for privacy mainly, but am hoping I get more
grapes this year.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 18:41:54 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I also BBQ'd some turkey hot dogs for the nephews, but those are not
> >pictured. <g> The brother in law came over today and took the electric
> >chain saw to that downed hackberry branch that was making it so I was
> >unable to use my offset.
> >
> >He came over early so it was all good, and he scored some 'Q to take
> >home! :-)
> >
> ><http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/MemorialDay2010CommentaryAndBBQ#>

> Wow, that looks awesome. Love the plated shot.
>
> koko

Thanks Koko! :-) I appreciate that...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2010 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Looks good.
>>>
>>> I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg

>> I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
>> and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
>> I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
>> and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very light
>> sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

> Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
> guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals.<g>
>
> Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
> propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
> logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!
>
> I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
> And it's fun...

Hi Om (and happy Memorial day) -

Please explain the weed burner method :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2010 8:17 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In 1.5>,
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in newsmpomelet-BCD98F.21085030052010
>> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>>
>>> In 1.5>,
>>>

>>> Nuking corn in an unopened husk really is the gods...
>>> I share that hint as often as I can! :-)

>> I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them in the Weber with
>> the husks on, but now usually de-husk , wrap in alfoil with some salt, pepper
>> and garlic butter, and bake like that.

> They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk off, and the
> husk seals in the sweetness.
>
> Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and run cold
> water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains enough heat to dry
> itself in seconds so you can add butter or whatever else you like to
> treat it with.
>
> 5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.

Thanks Om - I'll give this a try next time I have the corn. When I
shopped for today, the store I go to (Meijer) had the corn on the cob on
sale for $.19 each. And not a single ear existed there while I shopped. :-(

What was the nuke time?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2010 7:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Looks good.
>>>
>>> I had ribs and Weber baked tater halves:
>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2m7yg3p.jpg

>> I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
>> and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
>> I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
>> and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very light
>> sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

> Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
> guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals.<g>
>
> Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
> propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
> logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!
>
> I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
> And it's fun...

Playing with flame throwers again are we? Be careful not to turn around
to speak to someone with the flame thrower in your hand. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article >,
> PL > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> newsmpomelet-BCD98F.21085030052010 @news-wc.giganews.com:
>>
>> > In article >,
>> > PL > wrote:
>> >

>> > Nuking corn in an unopened husk really is the gods...
>> > I share that hint as often as I can! :-)

>> I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them in the
>> Weber with the husks on, but now usually de-husk , wrap in alfoil with
>> some salt, pepper and garlic butter, and bake like that.

> They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk off, and the
> husk seals in the sweetness.
>
> Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and run cold
> water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains enough heat to dry
> itself in seconds so you can add butter or whatever else you like to
> treat it with.
>
> 5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.

'Twill be done on the next lot.

Shpanxs :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PL wrote on Mon, 31 May 2010 15:12:07 GMT:

>> In article >,
>> PL > wrote:
>>
>>> Omelet > wrote in
>>> newsmpomelet-BCD98F.21085030052010 @news-wc.giganews.com:

>>> I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them
>>> in the Weber with the husks on, but now usually de-husk ,
>>> wrap in alfoil with some salt, pepper and garlic butter, and
>>> bake like that.

>> They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk
>> off, and the husk seals in the sweetness.
>>
>> Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and
>> run cold water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains
>> enough heat to dry itself in seconds so you can add butter or
>> whatever else you like to treat it with.
>>
>> 5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.

> 'Twill be done on the next lot.

I think 5 minutes is a bit too much but it depends on your microwave.
Otherwise, I am enthusiastic about nuking corn in rinsed husks.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-05-31, James Silverton > wrote:

> I think 5 minutes is a bit too much but it depends on your microwave.
> Otherwise, I am enthusiastic about nuking corn in rinsed husks.

I tend to agree. Most ppl cook the crap outta corn. Five to ten mins
boiling time for yellow corn is common. Yikes! The longer you cook corn, the
tougher it gets. I never cook corn for more than 90 secs. Tender,
yet cooked.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:

> On 5/31/2010 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
> >> and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
> >> I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
> >> and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very
> >> light
> >> sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

> > Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
> > guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals.<g>
> >
> > Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
> > propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
> > logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!
> >
> > I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
> > And it's fun...

> Hi Om (and happy Memorial day) -
>
> Please explain the weed burner method :-)
>
> Bob

Happy Memorial Day to you as well Bob. :-)

The weed burner is a propane torch with a long handle. I have this one.
The Bernzomatic:

<http://tinyurl.com/29s8gts>

Stick the end in the wood pit once it's loaded, light it and away you
go! Much better than screwing around with newspaper and a standard
lighter. :-)

The propane tank screws on to the handle.

I use it for burning weeds in the driveway.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:

> >> I'll have to give it a whirl next time. I used to bake them in the Weber
> >> with
> >> the husks on, but now usually de-husk , wrap in alfoil with some salt,
> >> pepper
> >> and garlic butter, and bake like that.

> > They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk off, and the
> > husk seals in the sweetness.
> >
> > Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and run cold
> > water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains enough heat to dry
> > itself in seconds so you can add butter or whatever else you like to
> > treat it with.
> >
> > 5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.

> Thanks Om - I'll give this a try next time I have the corn. When I
> shopped for today, the store I go to (Meijer) had the corn on the cob on
> sale for $.19 each. And not a single ear existed there while I shopped. :-(
>
> What was the nuke time?
>
> Bob

5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 5/31/2010 7:13 AM, Omelet wrote:

> >> I grilled chicken and some taters in foil packets with a little evoo, salt
> >> and pepper. They got nicely crispy.
> >> I used some chicken breasts from Omaha Steaks because I had them as a gift
> >> and needed to use them. They were really really good with just a very
> >> light
> >> sprinkling of garlic and herb rub.

> > Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
> > guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals.<g>
> >
> > Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
> > propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
> > logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!
> >
> > I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
> > And it's fun...

> Playing with flame throwers again are we? Be careful not to turn around
> to speak to someone with the flame thrower in your hand. <G>

<lol> Too true!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> PL wrote on Mon, 31 May 2010 15:12:07 GMT:

> >> They peel like a dream... No fighting to get all the silk
> >> off, and the husk seals in the sweetness.
> >>
> >> Just toss it into the sink directly out of the microwave and
> >> run cold water over it so you can peel it. The cob retains
> >> enough heat to dry itself in seconds so you can add butter or
> >> whatever else you like to treat it with.
> >>
> >> 5 minutes for one ear, 7 minutes for two or three.

> > 'Twill be done on the next lot.

> I think 5 minutes is a bit too much but it depends on your microwave.
> Otherwise, I am enthusiastic about nuking corn in rinsed husks.

It does indeed depend on the microwave... :-) That timing works for
mine. Also depends on how well done you like your corn.
I have, in the past, received good reviews on this method. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-05-31, James Silverton > wrote:
>
> > I think 5 minutes is a bit too much but it depends on your microwave.
> > Otherwise, I am enthusiastic about nuking corn in rinsed husks.

> I tend to agree. Most ppl cook the crap outta corn. Five to ten mins
> boiling time for yellow corn is common. Yikes! The longer you cook corn, the
> tougher it gets. I never cook corn for more than 90 secs. Tender,
> yet cooked.
>
> nb

Hm. I will have to try that next time. Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
>> Sounds tasty! I've not done spuds in the pit for quite some time. I
>> guess that would be a good way to use up the rest of my coals.<g>
>>
>> Now that the brother in law has taught me to start my fire box with the
>> propane weed burner and no paper or kerosine... WOW! I can get larger
>> logs started with good kindling under it much more easily!
>>
>> I'd never even thought of that. ;-)
>> And it's fun...

> Hi Om (and happy Memorial day) -
>
> Please explain the weed burner method :-)
>
> Bob

Google it. It's not the type of tool someone in your situation should
attempt to use.

memorial day?? Charly Horse Barbecue 15 02-06-2010 03:22 AM
Memorial Day Serene General Cooking 48 28-05-2008 08:21 PM