Old 26-05-2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Memorial Day

We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Ribs to put on the grill (I'm not saying how James prepares them,
but they're yummy anyway)
Corn on the cob
Watermelon

I burned the ham-and-cheese puffs I made, so we're eating them
without the burned bottoms for breakfast and not taking them with.

Carin's bringing:

Potato salad
Crudites and dip
Drinks

Should be fun. We haven't seen her dad much this past year or so,
and he's a nice guy.

What's everyone else cooking today?

Serene

Old 26-05-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:01:59 -0700, Serene
wrote:

What's everyone else cooking today?

Serene

I am cooking tri-tip steaks...for my Australian guest who is a very,
very picky eater. I will bake some potatoes too, as she doesnt like
potato salad. Oh, and I will make some guacamole from a Rick Bayless
recipe: my guest loves guacamole.

Christine
Old 26-05-2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 12:01 pm, Serene wrote:
We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Ribs to put on the grill (I'm not saying how James prepares them,
but they're yummy anyway)
Corn on the cob
Watermelon

I burned the ham-and-cheese puffs I made, so we're eating them
without the burned bottoms for breakfast and not taking them with.

Carin's bringing:

Potato salad
Crudites and dip
Drinks

Should be fun. We haven't seen her dad much this past year or so,
and he's a nice guy.

What's everyone else cooking today?

Serene

We had a monster pile of ribs yesterday - today it's steaks, garlic
bread & grilled vegetables...tomorrow it's back to sensible dinners.

Nancy T
Old 26-05-2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Ribs to put on the grill (I'm not saying how James prepares them,
but they're yummy anyway)

I smell a bolier!

I have a 5lb spatchcocked chicken on the smoker (not parboiled),
which will be followed by a couple pieces of salmon. Potato salad,
pastitso, tossed salad with all sorts of funky greens, beets, red
onions and artichokes.

-sw
Old 26-05-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene serenepages.org wrote:

What's everyone else cooking today?

Gonna slap beautious porterhouse on the Weber... not sure yet about
goeswithits.

Old 26-05-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

What's everyone else cooking today?

The day before yesterday, I had a warning sign of incipient
gout in one foot, so I immediately went on an anti-gout diet.
This is the second time I've had that following eating one
of those new Trader Joe's grilled frozen panini. They're
great sandwiches, but I don't think I'll eat another one.

One of my pots is occupied now with a science experiment,
so between that and the anti-gout diet, I'm just eating
fried rice and vegetables today (my other pot is the big
cast iron one I mostly use for frying, the occupied pot
is stainless steel and used only for boiling). Because
today is the third day, I might chance some pesto tortellini
later today, if the experiment is finished on schedule
and the pot becomes available. I better get my ass in gear
and finish that up. It'll take hours to run the next six
batches. What torture I put myself through in the name of
science.
Old 26-05-2008, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" wrote

I burned the ham-and-cheese puffs I made, so we're eating them
without the burned bottoms for breakfast and not taking them with.

Sounds good to me!

Should be fun. We haven't seen her dad much this past year or so,
and he's a nice guy.

Hope it's a nice day.

What's everyone else cooking today?

Oddly enough I'm making chicken cacciatore, just a craving.
Why on such a warm day, I don't know. I had a hot dog for
lunch, that's a little more traditional.

Bad timing, I ran out of gas in the grill on Thursday and didn't
think to fill it on Friday. Everywhere I might get propane is
closed for the holiday. Oh, well.

nancy
Old 26-05-2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Technically unless they're dead you shouldn't be "celebrating" Memorial Day.
Veterans Day, yes. But I'll let that slide Sounds like a nice outing!

Jill

Old 26-05-2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 26 May 2008 01:15:38p, Mark Thorson told us...

Serene wrote:

[...]

Speaking of gout, Mark, did you happen to know that asparagus can greatly
exacerbate the condition in some people? I have a close friend who didn't
know that until she binged on asparagus for a while.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Old 26-05-2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message
Serene wrote:

[...]

Gout?

Drink, Drink then Drink some more till you can't drink any more! Only water
of course. You need to flush your system as much as possible. Keep a
glass of water with you at all times.

Do you take Allopurinol ?

Dimitri

Old 26-05-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

Serene wrote:
We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Technically unless they're dead you shouldn't be "celebrating" Memorial
Day. Veterans Day, yes. But I'll let that slide Sounds like a nice
outing!

Jill

I see photos of Arlington National Cemetery and it brings tears to my eyes.

I remember sitting right next to President JFK's eternal flame at his grave
as a kid soon after his untimely death.

Andy
Old 26-05-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 5:01�pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Serene wrote:
We're going to Carin's dad's. We're bringing:

Technically unless they're dead you shouldn't be "celebrating" Memorial Day.
Veterans Day, yes. �But I'll let that slide �Sounds like a nice outing!

Jill

Jill is absolutely correct, you don't say "Happy Memorial Day"..
there's nothing *Happy* about memorials... that's like saying have a
Happy Funeral, even worse, and people say it all the time, is wishing
a Jew Happy Passover. duh

Only the imbeciles (and moslems) say Happy Memorial Day.

Old 27-05-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Jill is absolutely correct, you don't say "Happy Memorial Day"..
there's nothing *Happy* about memorials... that's like saying have a
Happy Funeral, even worse, and people say it all the time, is wishing
a Jew Happy Passover. duh

Only the imbeciles (and moslems) say Happy Memorial Day.

I say "Respectful Memorial Day to you"

Ribs turned out okay. Potato salad okay. Arnold Palmer tea delicious.
Fresh tomatoes with slivers of a Mexican string cheese, basil and olive
oil pretty good. Zucchini bread for snacking pretty good although with
the substitution of some sugar with Splenda it actually seemed too
sweet? Ah well..
Old 27-05-2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote in message
6.121...

snip

I *finally* got to see what gout looked like. There was a man at the
doctor's office with a pair of open shoes on. His right foot looked
excruciating. I didn't mention it to him because I didn't want to seem
rude but he offered up that he was having an especially painful episode
of gout. I don't remember if it was you, or maybe it was Andy, that
remarked gout felt like someone took a sledge hammer to your big toe.
Well, that is exactly what his big toe looked like, sort of. There was
no trauma ie: torn skin, bleeding etc. but the toe was huge and a redish
purple color. It looked like a big, throbbing bruise. Like a giant plum
hanging off the ankle.

Michael

I have had several bouts and have a tendency to get them for several
reasons:

Alcohol consumption as well as coffee will dehydrate and it is the
dehydration that causes the uric acid, which is normal to any human system,
to become concentrated and form a crystal usually in a joint in an
extremity. Big toe, ankle, thumb it doesn't matter. Foods that are rich in
purines such as oatmeal, other grains, shellfish, organ meats, will also
exacerbate the condition.

It HURTS LIKE A SOB! The only relief for me was Vioxx which was pulled from
the market. The other relief comes from icing, freezing the area.

In my case some of the other meds I take will exacerbate.

Old 27-05-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:01:59 -0700, Serene
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

What's everyone else cooking today?

Preparing Plaintiffs' witness list, exhibit list, jury instructions,
finalizing motions in limine and objections to Defendant's motions in
limine...fun stuff. Am anticipating a yummy pb&j* at some future
point. (And am willing to bet that I'll get all my trial ducks* in a
row and the judge will rule sua sponte on the papers.)

*Thus being OB.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

memorial day?? Charly Horse Barbecue 15 02-06-2010 03:22 AM
Memorial Day 'Q Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 33 01-06-2010 12:27 AM