Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The White Castle Candle

Candle smells like White Castle burgers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6466320.shtml

It would probably make me puke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:46:32 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Candle smells like White Castle burgers:
>
>http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6466320.shtml
>
>It would probably make me puke.

It doesn't sound like anything I'd want around. WC is only good after
a night of drinking or for breakfast when you've got a hangover. I'm
to old for that stuff now so it's been quite awhile since I had them.
If you get a sack and take it home the car smells nasty for days. And
not many things produce a fart like they do.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 12:46*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Candle smells like White Castle burgers:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6466320.shtml
>
> It would probably make me puke.

I saw this recipe on the Serious Eats site, and I have already made
them twice- my 12 year old loves them. I saw slider buns at my local
grocery, and decided to try them, sans pickle. As close to white
Castle that I recall.

Sliders

Ingredients
1 large onion, finely minced (about 2 cups)
Kosher salt
1 1/8 pounds freshly ground beef
1 medium onion, peeled and grated on the medium holes of a box grater,
juices and pulp reserved (about 1 1/2 cups)
Freshly ground black pepper
12 silce American cheese (optional)
16 slider-sized buns (about 2 1/2- to 3-inches across)
24 thin dill pickle slices
Condiments, as desired

Procedure
1. Toss diced onion with 1 teaspoon kosher salt in medium bowl. Set
aside at room temperature until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile,
divide beef into 12 evenly sized balls. Using damp hands, press balls
into even, patties approximately 1/8th-inch thick, and 3 1/2-inches
wide. Place on large plastic-wrap line plate. Patties can be stacked
with layer of plastic wrap between each layer. Place in refrigerator
until ready to cook.

2. Preheat heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium low heat until
evenly heated, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add half of
diced onion, using spatula to spread into even layer across bottom of
pan. Cook without moving until bottom of onions starts turning pale
golden brown, about five minutes (onions should barely sizzle while
cooking—adjust heat as necessary).

3. Add half of grated onions and their juice to skillet. Stir onions
with rubber spatula to release browned bits from bottom of pan and
spread into thin, even layer. Arrange six hamburger patties on top of
onion mixture. Season top of patties with salt and pepper. Add 6
slices of American cheese if desired. Place bun bottoms, cut-side-
down, on top of patties. Place bun tops, cut-side-down, on top of bun
bottoms, staggering arrangement to maximize exposure to steam.

4. Continue cooking over low heat until burgers are cooked through and
cheese is fully melted, about 3 minutes, adding extra onion juice if
pan runs dry, making sure to reserve at least half for second batch
(there should be no sizzling sound, and mixture should steam constantly
—in some rare cases, substituting water may be necessary if onion
juice all runs out). Remove from heat.

5. Lift and bun with spatula. Pick up bun top, invert, and place
underneath spatula (burger should now be fully assembled, upside
down). Slide spatula out from between burger and bun top. Invert, and
place on plate. Repeat with remaining 5 burgers. Spoon any remaining
onions and melted cheese in skillet on top of each burger patty, along
with two pickles, and condiments as desired. Consume immediately,
before repeating with remaining 6 sliders.

Read mo http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...#ixzz0nHnTtjLg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 6:42*pm, merryb > wrote:
> [...]

> 4. Continue cooking over low heat until burgers are cooked through and
> cheese is fully melted, about 3 minutes, adding extra onion juice if
> pan runs dry, making sure to reserve at least half for second batch
> (there should be no sizzling sound, and mixture should steam constantly
> —in some rare cases, substituting water may be necessary if onion
> juice all runs out). Remove from heat.
>
> 5. Lift and bun with spatula. Pick up bun top, invert, and place
> underneath spatula (burger should now be fully assembled, upside
> down). Slide spatula out from between burger and bun top. Invert, and
> place on plate. Repeat with remaining 5 burgers. Spoon any remaining
> onions and melted cheese in skillet on top of each burger patty, along
> with two pickles, and condiments as desired. Consume immediately,
> before repeating with remaining 6 sliders.

Thanks for the site. Scroll down and they get into hearts and beef
penis. The heart I might try; as for the other?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 16:14:30 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:46:32 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Candle smells like White Castle burgers:
>>
>>http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6466320.shtml
>>
>>It would probably make me puke.

> It doesn't sound like anything I'd want around. WC is only good after
> a night of drinking or for breakfast when you've got a hangover. I'm
> to old for that stuff now so it's been quite awhile since I had them.

the proper time for deathball administration is prior to the onset of the
hangover. otherwise, serious side effects may be encountered.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 3:55*pm, A Moose In Love > wrote:
> [...]

> > pan runs dry, making sure to reserve at least half for second batch
> > (there should be no sizzling sound, and mixture should steam constantly
> > —in some rare cases, substituting water may be necessary if onion
> > juice all runs out). Remove from heat.

> > 5. Lift and bun with spatula. Pick up bun top, invert, and place
> > underneath spatula (burger should now be fully assembled, upside
> > down). Slide spatula out from between burger and bun top. Invert, and
> > place on plate. Repeat with remaining 5 burgers. Spoon any remaining
> > onions and melted cheese in skillet on top of each burger patty, along
> > with two pickles, and condiments as desired. Consume immediately,
> > before repeating with remaining 6 sliders.

> > Read mohttp://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-sliders-recip...

> Thanks for the site. *Scroll down and they get into hearts and beef
> penis. *The heart I might try; as for the other?

I really like this site, but try the recipe too- I made it last night,
and got 100% approval again...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 May 2010 15:42:26 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>I saw this recipe on the Serious Eats site, and I have already made
>them twice- my 12 year old loves them. I saw slider buns at my local
>grocery, and decided to try them, sans pickle. As close to white
>Castle that I recall.
>
>Sliders

>Read mo http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...#ixzz0nHnTtjLg

That looks like a sloppy joe. Louise makes a slyder clone too and
it's also somewhat loose-meat but not as sloppy as the one in the
picture. The recipe she uses calls for a package of the little dinner
rolls sliced horizontally but left intact. The browned meat is spread
over the bottom layer and topped with pickle and cheese slices. Then
wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven. When you cut them apart they
hold together. There's onion soup mix in the recipe that gets added
during the browning of the meat and they taste very much like WC. The
older clone recipes called for Pepperidge Farms dinner rolls but those
aren't around anymore so she uses King's or Aldi's brand.

I may take a stab at the method you posted. I've tried normal sized
burgers cooked over onions and it was good but I missed the char. It
might be ok with the little mini patties. Thanks for the link. It
looks like a Maid-Rite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid-Rite

http://www.maid-rite.com/food/food-menu.shtml

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 3:46*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Candle smells like White Castle burgers:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6466320.shtml
>
> It would probably make me puke.

As SNL said last night...probably the only people that would buy them
already have a house that smells like them.