Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default San Diego Eateries?

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>
>Any suggestions?

If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
my favorite Japanese eateries is the

Nobu
315 S Highway 101 Ste A
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>
> Any suggestions?

First choice

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
> >
> >Any suggestions?

> If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
> my favorite Japanese eateries is the
>
> Nobu
> 315 S Highway 101 Ste A
> Solana Beach, CA 92075
>
> Boron

Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar We used to go
there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>
> Any suggestions?

Been too long since I lived there. The Vietnamese places were all good,
as were a couple of Mexican places in Old Town. Anthony's is classic but
maybe not as good any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> First choice
>
> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>
> Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> First choice
>
> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>
> Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>> First choice
>>
>> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Not as good as it was 20 years ago.
>
> The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
> The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.
>
> Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
> pretty good. Very informal.
>
> If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
> classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
> scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.
>
> gloria p

Temecula, Pacific Grill.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>> First choice
>>
>> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Not as good as it was 20 years ago.
>
> The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
> The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.
>
> Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
> pretty good. Very informal.
>
> If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
> classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
> scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.
>
> gloria p

Stayed in the B&B across the street from Old Town on my honeymoon a few
years ago. May5th, IIRC. It was sure nice of all those people to show up
to celebrate my honeymoon.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:55:44 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>"gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> First choice
>>>
>>> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>

>> Not as good as it was 20 years ago.
>>
>> The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
>> The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.
>>
>> Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
>> pretty good. Very informal.
>>
>> If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
>> classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
>> scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.
>>
>> gloria p

>Stayed in the B&B across the street from Old Town on my honeymoon a few
>years ago. May5th, IIRC. It was sure nice of all those people to show up
>to celebrate my honeymoon.
>
>Steve

Hey, they are gearing up to celebrate your anniversary. ;-)

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/17/10

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:55:44 -0700, "Steve B"
> > wrote:

>>> Not as good as it was 20 years ago.
>>>
>>> The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
>>> The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.
>>>
>>> Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
>>> pretty good. Very informal.
>>>
>>> If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
>>> classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
>>> scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>>Stayed in the B&B across the street from Old Town on my honeymoon a few
>>years ago. May5th, IIRC. It was sure nice of all those people to show up
>>to celebrate my honeymoon.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Hey, they are gearing up to celebrate your anniversary. ;-)
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
> updated 04/17/10

You know, I may check with them and see if he dates are open. We have some
nice friends in Bonsall, and could make a ten day trip out of it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:35:22 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?

>> If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
>> my favorite Japanese eateries is the
>>
>> Nobu
>> 315 S Highway 101 Ste A
>> Solana Beach, CA 92075
>>
>> Boron

>Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar We used to go
>there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.

This Nobu isn't like the NYC Nobu. It is quite unassuming, or was the
last time I was there. There is also a Thai place in the same stir
mall, if memory serves me.

My brother used to live in Solana Beach, but with an ocean view. He is
in Del Mar now.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:35:22 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Boron Elgar wrote:

> >> If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
> >> my favorite Japanese eateries is the
> >>
> >> Nobu
> >> 315 S Highway 101 Ste A
> >> Solana Beach, CA 92075
> >>
> >> Boron

> >Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar We used to go
> >there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.

> This Nobu isn't like the NYC Nobu. It is quite unassuming, or was the
> last time I was there. There is also a Thai place in the same stir
> mall, if memory serves me.

Neither of those were there when I was. Glad to see that Fidel's is
still there though

> My brother used to live in Solana Beach, but with an ocean view. He is
> in Del Mar now.
>
> Boron

Loved living in Del Mar! Unfortunately was too expensive for long term
Had to move inland, over Mission Valley, eventually. Was nice to work
in Sorrento Valley. Could stop at the beach before work. However the
next job was just as nice, in La Jolla. Lunches overlooking Torrey
Pines! And aircraft from Miramar practising overhead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:29:22 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>You know, I may check with them and see if he dates are open. We have some
>nice friends in Bonsall, and could make a ten day trip out of it.

If you're up for a fairly inexpensive and kitchy place to stay,
there's a B&B adjacent to Balboa Park and the zoo called "The Balboa
Park Inn." It has a number of "theme" rooms that are fun - like
"Tara," which sports a big painting of Scarlet O'Hara and is decorated
accordingly. "The Beach House" has dozens of plastic fish hanging from
the ceiling in the bathroom that is just hilarious. Some of them have
full kitchens, as they're converted apartments. It's also an easy
stroll to the zoo and the wonderful, wonderful Balboa Park facility.

http://www.balboaparkinn.com/

Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

>If you're up for a fairly inexpensive and kitchy place to stay,
>there's a B&B adjacent to Balboa Park and the zoo called "The Balboa
>Park Inn." It has a number of "theme" rooms that are fun - like
>"Tara," which sports a big painting of Scarlet O'Hara and is decorated
>accordingly. "The Beach House" has dozens of plastic fish hanging from
>the ceiling in the bathroom that is just hilarious. Some of them have
>full kitchens, as they're converted apartments. It's also an easy
>stroll to the zoo and the wonderful, wonderful Balboa Park facility.

I like the Park Manor Suites in the same general area.
Every room has a kitchen.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

> Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
> called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.

Bob and I always make a point of going to the "Gulf Coast Grill"
(usually around the brunch hour) when in town. Their chowder is like
nothing I've ever had before, and if the fried green tomatoes aren't on
the board -- ask for them. They serve a mighty fine Bloody Mary, too.

http://www.gulfcoastgrill.com/

Also good is the Parkhouse Eatery in University Heights.

http://www.parkhouseeatery.com/

You can't go wrong with Prado in Balboa Park for something a bit more
upscale. I love the whole Balboa Park experience.

http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/restaurants/theprado/

Also very good is "Candelas." We've been a couple of times and have not
been disappointed. You definitely need reservations for this place, and
parking can be a bitch.

http://www.candelas-sd.com/candelas_main2.html

We've eaten a few times at "Pomegranate" (Russian cuisine) but the last
time there I was a little less than enthused with them. They've opened a
sister restaurant called "Petrushka" a few doors down and from what I've
heard that might be even better. I can't seem to find a website other
than comments from places like Yelp and Chowhound.

Pomegranate: http://russiangeorgianfood.homestead.com/

The last time we were in town we ate at "Lotus Thai" in Hillcrest with
Dennis, Leslie and Dragon. It was superb!!!!

http://www.lotusthaisd.com/hillcrest/hillcrest.html

--Lin (my San Diego recommendations)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wrote:

> The last time we were in town we ate at "Lotus Thai" in Hillcrest with
> Dennis, Leslie and Dragon. It was superb!!!!

Borrowed this recent post from private cuisine list I belong too, so
nobody rfc'ers know here.

Re-purposing works. Most of the time. ;-)

--Lin (can see people scratching their heads trying to figure out which
nyms/names go with whom!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>
> Any suggestions?

It's been a while since I've been in that part of town, but it's worth
the six-mile trip downtown to go to the funky Pokez --
http://www.pokezsd.com/ -- for the ultra-cheap, very good Mexican food,
and the anarchist decor. The service is really slow, though.

My bosses used to take me to Point Loma Seafoods for celebration
lunches, and it's outstanding -- http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/

Serene
--
"Basic principles of the Universe, oo. Do tell. Quantum mechanics?"
"You cannot know simultaneously where you are in a relationship *and*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:29:22 -0700, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>
>>You know, I may check with them and see if he dates are open. We have
>>some
>>nice friends in Bonsall, and could make a ten day trip out of it.

> If you're up for a fairly inexpensive and kitchy place to stay,
> there's a B&B adjacent to Balboa Park and the zoo called "The Balboa
> Park Inn." It has a number of "theme" rooms that are fun - like
> "Tara," which sports a big painting of Scarlet O'Hara and is decorated
> accordingly. "The Beach House" has dozens of plastic fish hanging from
> the ceiling in the bathroom that is just hilarious. Some of them have
> full kitchens, as they're converted apartments. It's also an easy
> stroll to the zoo and the wonderful, wonderful Balboa Park facility.
>
> http://www.balboaparkinn.com/
>
> Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
> called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Cool. Will check it out. Was there when we took my friend's Ferrari there
to stay for two weeks in the Museum of Automotive History during a Ferrari
exhibit. I must say that the others were very disappointing, including the
Museum of Natural History that had (poorly cast) replicas of early Indian
culture artifacts. I like the real deal, especially when there's an
admission charge. I do wish I had gone to the Railroad Museum, though.

Steve

Visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

> First choice
>
> http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html
>
> Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

> Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
> called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.

Sunday brunch at the Gulf Coast Grill is wonderful. Squeaks, have you ever
tried their clam chowder?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 3:22*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> I'm going to be there next week. *Mostly near Point loma area.
>
> Any suggestions?

Too bad Foggy's Notion isn't there anymore. Used to be called That
Place Across the Street from the Sports Areana. Cold beer, free
peanuts and just a great place to go. I picked up the hottest chick
I've ever been with...gawd, I'm getting excited just thinking about
her!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 04:33:47 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Squeaks wrote:
>
>> Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
>> called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.

>Sunday brunch at the Gulf Coast Grill is wonderful. Squeaks, have you ever
>tried their clam chowder?

No, which is odd, because I *love* clam chowder. Will do so the next
time we're headed that way for an overnight, which is usually for a
play at The Old Globe.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd