FoodBanter.com

-   -   San Diego Eateries? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/395992-san-diego-eateries.html)

cshenk 24-04-2010 11:22 PM

San Diego Eateries?

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

Boron Elgar[_1_] 25-04-2010 12:03 AM

San Diego Eateries?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
my favorite Japanese eateries is the

Nobu
315 S Highway 101 Ste A
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Boron

Dimitri 25-04-2010 12:20 AM

San Diego Eateries?

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

First choice

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html

Dimitri

Arri London 25-04-2010 01:35 AM

San Diego Eateries?

Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
my favorite Japanese eateries is the

Nobu
315 S Highway 101 Ste A
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Boron

Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar :) We used to go
there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.

Arri London 25-04-2010 01:39 AM

San Diego Eateries?

cshenk wrote:

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

Been too long since I lived there. The Vietnamese places were all good,
as were a couple of Mexican places in Old Town. Anthony's is classic but
maybe not as good any more.

gloria.p 25-04-2010 05:09 AM

San Diego Eateries?

Dimitri wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

First choice

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html

Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p

Steve B[_11_] 25-04-2010 02:54 PM

San Diego Eateries?

"gloria.p" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

First choice

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html

Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p

Temecula, Pacific Grill.

Steve

Steve B[_11_] 25-04-2010 02:55 PM

San Diego Eateries?

"gloria.p" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

First choice

http://www.gofishanthonys.com/index2.html

Dimitri

Not as good as it was 20 years ago.

The Fishery in Pacific Beach (if it's still there) was terrific.
The Fish Market in DelMar was also very good.

Point Loma Seafood is an interesting place to eat and the food is
pretty good. Very informal.

If you get to Old Town, the Old Town Cafe on the outskirts is a
classic with ladies making tortillas in the window. There are more
scenic patio Mexican restaurants in Old Town proper.

gloria p

Stayed in the B&B across the street from Old Town on my honeymoon a few
years ago. May5th, IIRC. It was sure nice of all those people to show up
to celebrate my honeymoon.

Steve

koko 25-04-2010 04:26 PM

San Diego Eateries?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:55:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"gloria.p" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, they are gearing up to celebrate your anniversary. ;-)

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 04/17/10

Steve B[_12_] 26-04-2010 01:29 AM

San Diego Eateries?

wrote:

"gloria.p" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

You know, I may check with them and see if he dates are open. We have some
nice friends in Bonsall, and could make a ten day trip out of it.

Steve

Boron Elgar[_1_] 26-04-2010 02:16 AM

San Diego Eateries?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:35:22 -0600, Arri London
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
my favorite Japanese eateries is the

Nobu
315 S Highway 101 Ste A
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Boron

Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar :) We used to go
there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.

This Nobu isn't like the NYC Nobu. It is quite unassuming, or was the
last time I was there. There is also a Thai place in the same stir
mall, if memory serves me.

My brother used to live in Solana Beach, but with an ocean view. He is
in Del Mar now.

Boron

Arri London 27-04-2010 12:12 AM

San Diego Eateries?

wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:22:36 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I'm going to be there next week. Mostly near Point loma area.

Any suggestions?

If you're traveling northwards a bit, up towards Solana Beach, one of
my favorite Japanese eateries is the

Nobu
315 S Highway 101 Ste A
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Boron

Solana Beach has gone upmarket since I lived in Del Mar :) We used to go
there for the cheap Chinese and Mexican food.

This Nobu isn't like the NYC Nobu. It is quite unassuming, or was the
last time I was there. There is also a Thai place in the same stir
mall, if memory serves me.

Neither of those were there when I was. Glad to see that Fidel's is
still there though :)

My brother used to live in Solana Beach, but with an ocean view. He is
in Del Mar now.

Boron

Loved living in Del Mar! Unfortunately was too expensive for long term
:( Had to move inland, over Mission Valley, eventually. Was nice to work
in Sorrento Valley. Could stop at the beach before work. However the
next job was just as nice, in La Jolla. Lunches overlooking Torrey
Pines! And aircraft from Miramar practising overhead.

Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] 27-04-2010 01:07 AM

San Diego Eateries?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:29:22 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

You know, I may check with them and see if he dates are open. We have some
nice friends in Bonsall, and could make a ten day trip out of it.

If you're up for a fairly inexpensive and kitchy place to stay,
there's a B&B adjacent to Balboa Park and the zoo called "The Balboa
Park Inn." It has a number of "theme" rooms that are fun - like
"Tara," which sports a big painting of Scarlet O'Hara and is decorated
accordingly. "The Beach House" has dozens of plastic fish hanging from
the ceiling in the bathroom that is just hilarious. Some of them have
full kitchens, as they're converted apartments. It's also an easy
stroll to the zoo and the wonderful, wonderful Balboa Park facility.

http://www.balboaparkinn.com/

Head in the opposite direction down Park and you'll find a restaurant
called the Gulf Coast Grill that has great cajun seafood.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Steve Pope 27-04-2010 01:10 AM

San Diego Eateries?

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

If you're up for a fairly inexpensive and kitchy place to stay,
there's a B&B adjacent to Balboa Park and the zoo called "The Balboa
Park Inn." It has a number of "theme" rooms that are fun - like
"Tara," which sports a big painting of Scarlet O'Hara and is decorated
accordingly. "The Beach House" has dozens of plastic fish hanging from
the ceiling in the bathroom that is just hilarious. Some of them have
full kitchens, as they're converted apartments. It's also an easy
stroll to the zoo and the wonderful, wonderful Balboa Park facility.

I like the Park Manor Suites in the same general area.
Every room has a kitchen.

Steve