Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Protein shakes on the cheap

Walmart has 2 pound canisters of whey protein concentrate (chocolate,
strawberry, and vanilla flavored) for $15; each scoop ends up costing
about fifty cents and provides 26 grams of protein. It doesn't taste
very good, but it's not awful, and it makes an OK base for a smoothie.
But that's not what I want to talk about.

At the little Mexican grocery store, I bought a 2 pound bag of
unflavored textured soy protein a few months ago. I don't remember what
it cost, but it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure it was less than $3. Each
100 grams provides 50 grams of protein and 17.5 grains of fiber. I
sometimes use the stuff as filler in soups. Well tonight curiosity got
the best of me and I tried using it in a smoothie. I weighed out 50
grams of the stuff (almost exactly 1 cup) and put it in the blender with
a cup of lowfat milk, a packet of Splenda, and a few frozen
strawberries. Let it soak for a bit, then blenderized it. Tasted it,
and yuck. It was too "meaty". So I added a few more berries, a frozen
banana, 2 more packets of Splenda, and a splash of vanilla. Blended it
a good long time to liquefy everything. The extra fruit and the vanilla
hid the disturbing meat flavor. It was still kind of gritty, but other
than that it tasted OK I guess. :-P

It was filling, I'll give it that.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

>Walmart has 2 pound canisters of whey protein concentrate (chocolate,
>strawberry, and vanilla flavored) for $15; each scoop ends up costing
>about fifty cents and provides 26 grams of protein. It doesn't taste
>very good, but it's not awful, and it makes an OK base for a smoothie.
>But that's not what I want to talk about. [snip]

Thanks for the report.

I have also seen the giant bags of TVP at the Mexican market,
but have never bought one.

My usual protein shake is whey protein, some orange juice, and
mostly water. (Started those when on a gout diet; whey protein
is purine-free, soy protein would not be unless it's highly
purified.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> At the little Mexican grocery store, I bought a 2 pound bag of unflavored
> textured soy protein a few months ago. I don't remember what it cost, but
> it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure it was less than $3. Each 100 grams
> provides 50 grams of protein and 17.5 grains of fiber. I sometimes use
> the stuff as filler in soups. Well tonight curiosity got the best of me
> and I tried using it in a smoothie. I weighed out 50 grams of the stuff
> (almost exactly 1 cup) and put it in the blender with a cup of lowfat
> milk, a packet of Splenda, and a few frozen strawberries. Let it soak for
> a bit, then blenderized it. Tasted it, and yuck. It was too "meaty".

So next time you'll know to use cumin, garlic, powdered chiles, and cilantro
stems instead of the milk, Splenda, and strawberries!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/17/2010 10:56 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> At the little Mexican grocery store, I bought a 2 pound bag of
> unflavored textured soy protein a few months ago. I don't remember
> what it cost, but it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure it was less than
> $3. Each 100 grams provides 50 grams of protein and 17.5 grains of
> fiber. I sometimes use the stuff as filler in soups. Well tonight
> curiosity got the best of me and I tried using it in a smoothie. I
> weighed out 50 grams of the stuff (almost exactly 1 cup) and put it in
> the blender with a cup of lowfat milk, a packet of Splenda, and a few
> frozen strawberries. Let it soak for a bit, then blenderized it.
> Tasted it, and yuck. It was too "meaty". So I added a few more
> berries, a frozen banana, 2 more packets of Splenda, and a splash of
> vanilla. Blended it a good long time to liquefy everything. The
> extra fruit and the vanilla hid the disturbing meat flavor. It was
> still kind of gritty, but other than that it tasted OK I guess. :-P
>
> It was filling, I'll give it that.
>
> Bob

Soy protein gives some people gas, so your wife might not like that. ;-)
Whey protein is more easily absorbable. My favorite is Pro
Performance from GNC, and it is on sale, but 5 lbs is a huge amount, it
is the size of a small trash can.
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944029

If you like it sweet, you might have to add a packet of Splenda. You
can use milk or water, it blends easily. I generally use ice and milk
and run it through a blender.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/18/2010 9:51 AM, Becca wrote:
> On 4/17/2010 10:56 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> At the little Mexican grocery store, I bought a 2 pound bag of
>> unflavored textured soy protein a few months ago. I don't remember
>> what it cost, but it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure it was less than $3.
>> Each 100 grams provides 50 grams of protein and 17.5 grains of fiber.
>> I sometimes use the stuff as filler in soups. Well tonight curiosity
>> got the best of me and I tried using it in a smoothie. I weighed out
>> 50 grams of the stuff (almost exactly 1 cup) and put it in the blender
>> with a cup of lowfat milk, a packet of Splenda, and a few frozen
>> strawberries. Let it soak for a bit, then blenderized it. Tasted it,
>> and yuck. It was too "meaty". So I added a few more berries, a frozen
>> banana, 2 more packets of Splenda, and a splash of vanilla. Blended it
>> a good long time to liquefy everything. The extra fruit and the
>> vanilla hid the disturbing meat flavor. It was still kind of gritty,
>> but other than that it tasted OK I guess. :-P
>>
>> It was filling, I'll give it that.
>>
>> Bob

> Soy protein gives some people gas, so your wife might not like that. ;-)
> Whey protein is more easily absorbable. My favorite is Pro Performance
> from GNC, and it is on sale, but 5 lbs is a huge amount, it is the size
> of a small trash can.
> http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944029
>
> If you like it sweet, you might have to add a packet of Splenda. You can
> use milk or water, it blends easily. I generally use ice and milk and
> run it through a blender.
>
> Becca

No more gas than I usually have And after having a high protein low
calorie supper last night, I feel better this morning than I have in a
good while (might easily be a coincidence.)

The cheap Mexican TVP tastes like it might have potential as a *dry*
snack. I just have to find some kind of salty flavoring that will stick
to it; it would be like Chex Mix. Or Cheetos.

Sam's Club has 5 pound bags of whey protein concentrate for $30.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

>Walmart has 2 pound canisters of whey protein concentrate (chocolate,
>strawberry, and vanilla flavored) for $15; each scoop ends up costing
>about fifty cents and provides 26 grams of protein. It doesn't taste
>very good, but it's not awful, and it makes an OK base for a smoothie.
>But that's not what I want to talk about.
>
>At the little Mexican grocery store, I bought a 2 pound bag of
>unflavored textured soy protein a few months ago. I don't remember what
>it cost, but it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure it was less than $3. Each
>100 grams provides 50 grams of protein and 17.5 grains of fiber. I
>sometimes use the stuff as filler in soups. Well tonight curiosity got
>the best of me and I tried using it in a smoothie. I weighed out 50
>grams of the stuff (almost exactly 1 cup) and put it in the blender with
>a cup of lowfat milk, a packet of Splenda, and a few frozen
>strawberries. Let it soak for a bit, then blenderized it. Tasted it,
>and yuck. It was too "meaty". So I added a few more berries, a frozen
>banana, 2 more packets of Splenda, and a splash of vanilla. Blended it
>a good long time to liquefy everything. The extra fruit and the vanilla
>hid the disturbing meat flavor. It was still kind of gritty, but other
>than that it tasted OK I guess. :-P
>
>It was filling, I'll give it that.
>
>Bob

Malted milk powder is very tasty...
http://www.answers.com/topic/malted-milk

There are many brands but I like Horlick's:
http://www.horlicks.com/flash/index.html

Of course you can always toss in a handful of dago balls, ie. WOPers:
http://tinyurl.com/y32y5xj
http://www.candydirect.com/catalogse...ted+milk+balls
&utm_source=G-PPC&gclid=CKj65oHJkKECFSJ25QodpV4oOg&ad=4309659426
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Soy protein gives some people gas, so your wife might not like that. ;-)

Indeed. I'll second that.

> Whey protein is more easily absorbable. My favorite is Pro
> Performance from GNC, and it is on sale, but 5 lbs is a huge amount, it
> is the size of a small trash can.
> http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944029
>
> If you like it sweet, you might have to add a packet of Splenda. You
> can use milk or water, it blends easily. I generally use ice and milk
> and run it through a blender.
>
> Becca

Then there are always egg whites... Freeze the yolks for other recipes
(like custards) as needed.

Whey protein is available in the bulk section at some stores that sell
bulk items. I found it at Central Market and use it as as a most
effective low carb sausage binder. I has trouble with my beef sausage
being crumbly and that solved my problem.

Turns out there is more to making sausage than just stuffing ground
spiced meat into casings. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 9:13*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
> >Walmart has 2 pound canisters of whey protein concentrate (chocolate,
> >strawberry, and vanilla flavored) for $15; each scoop ends up costing
> >about fifty cents and provides 26 grams of protein. *It doesn't taste
> >very good, but it's not awful, and it makes an OK base for a smoothie.
> >But that's not what I want to talk about. *[snip]

> Thanks for the report. *
>
> I have also seen the giant bags of TVP at the Mexican market,
> but have never bought one.
>
> My usual protein shake is whey protein, some orange juice, and
> mostly water. *(Started those when on a gout diet; whey protein
> is purine-free, soy protein would not be unless it's highly
> purified.)
>
> Steve

If you are into whey protein that has no artificia flavor, the brand I
found at GNC (but bought online for a heaoer price) is "ON". It also
comes in one other flavor, chocolate. I googled for coupon for that
vendor and got a 5lb for some change less $45 including shipping. It's
$49.99 + tax at GNC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/18/2010 10:07 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> No more gas than I usually have And after having a high protein
> low calorie supper last night, I feel better this morning than I have
> in a good while (might easily be a coincidence.)
>
> The cheap Mexican TVP tastes like it might have potential as a *dry*
> snack. I just have to find some kind of salty flavoring that will
> stick to it; it would be like Chex Mix. Or Cheetos.
>
> Sam's Club has 5 pound bags of whey protein concentrate for $30.
>
> Bob

If you try the whey protein at Sam's Club, let me know what you think
about it, I believe it is EAS and I have only heard good things about
it. That is a great price, for sure.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> On 4/18/2010 10:07 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> > No more gas than I usually have And after having a high protein
> > low calorie supper last night, I feel better this morning than I have
> > in a good while (might easily be a coincidence.)
> >
> > The cheap Mexican TVP tastes like it might have potential as a *dry*
> > snack. I just have to find some kind of salty flavoring that will
> > stick to it; it would be like Chex Mix. Or Cheetos.
> >
> > Sam's Club has 5 pound bags of whey protein concentrate for $30.
> >
> > Bob

> If you try the whey protein at Sam's Club, let me know what you think
> about it, I believe it is EAS and I have only heard good things about
> it. That is a great price, for sure.
>
> Becca

EAS has good quality control.
If you can get them in bulk, that'd be awesome.
--
Peace! Om