Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Exploding water in microwave

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-15, George Leppla > wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>

> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
> right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

Old news. Google for super heating water.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>

> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
sure you try this at home kids! :-)

> George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2010 5:32 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2010-04-15, George > wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>

>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
>> right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> Old news. Google for super heating water.

Yeah... but it was new news to me.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>
> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
> right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.
>
> George L

Not explode really, it can be superheated and then flash into steam when
disturbed. Steam carries a lot of heat away, so not all of it flashes
and the rest splashes as the steam escapes. If you happen to be too
close at the time, "explode" is an adequate description.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>

>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and spits
> a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of high
> purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure you try
> this at home kids! :-)
>

>> George L

Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. It looked
normal. I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all over
the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 7:33*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> >>http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

> >> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
> >> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> > Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
> > it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
> > boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and spits
> > a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of high
> > purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure you try
> > this at home kids! :-)

> >> George L

> Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. *It looked
> normal. *I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all over
> the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.
>
> Steve

This is why I use dirty dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>>

>>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
>> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
>> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and
>> spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of
>> high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure
>> you try this at home kids! :-)
>>

>>> George L

> Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. It looked
> normal. I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all
> over the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.
>
> Steve

Tea bags can give a similar reaction. I know enough not to cook an egg in
the microwave. A couple of weeks ago I peeled a hard boiled egg from the
fridge, Nuked it for 30 seconds. When I cut into it with a knife, yolk shot
out all over! Never expected that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2010 1:33 PM, Steve B wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>>

>>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
>> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
>> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and spits
>> a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of high
>> purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure you try
>> this at home kids! :-)
>>

>>> George L

> Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. It looked
> normal. I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all over
> the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.

Well, that must have blown your mind. Perked it up, it did, even before
the caffeine hit! :-)

> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 10:46*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Steve B" > wrote in message

> >> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
> >> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
> >> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and
> >> spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of
> >> high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure
> >> you try this at home kids! :-)

> > Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. *It looked
> > normal. *I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all
> > over the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.

> > Steve

> Tea bags can give a similar reaction. *I know enough not to cook an egg in
> the microwave. *A couple of weeks ago I peeled a hard boiled egg from the
> fridge, Nuked it for 30 seconds. *When I cut into it with a knife, yolk shot
> out all over! *Never expected that.

I don't understand why you would want to nuke a hard boiled egg, but,
COOL!

I'm usually too lazy to really cook in the morning; nuke eggs all the
time. Usually on a bowl of grits. Gotta remember to poke the yoke
first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> On Apr 15, 10:46 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>> > Once I pulled a cup of reheated coffee out of the microwave. It looked
>> > normal. I put some sugar on it, and it boiled and foamed and spit all
>> > over the counter, like one of those teenage science volcano projects.

>> > Steve

>> Tea bags can give a similar reaction. I know enough not to cook an egg
>> in
>> the microwave. A couple of weeks ago I peeled a hard boiled egg from the
>> fridge, Nuked it for 30 seconds. When I cut into it with a knife, yolk
>> shot
>> out all over! Never expected that.

> I don't understand why you would want to nuke a hard boiled egg, but,
> COOL!

I prefer it a bit warm, not cold from the fridge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fun With Microwaves

George Leppla wrote:

> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>
> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
> right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

If the condition are right, you can make ball lightning
in a microwave.

http://jlnlabs.online.fr/plasma/gmr/index.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:42:11 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>

>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
> liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
> without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
> and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
> of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
> sure you try this at home kids! :-)

where in the world would i get a clean cup or glass?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:59:05 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:

> I'm usually too lazy to really cook in the morning; nuke eggs all the
> time. Usually on a bowl of grits. Gotta remember to poke the yoke
> first.

'poke the yoke' sounds like some kinda kink.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2010 8:27 AM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:42:11 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>>

>>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
>> liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
>> without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
>> and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
>> of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
>> sure you try this at home kids! :-)

> where in the world would i get a clean cup or glass?

That's easy! Just get your dirty cup and coat the inside with the oil
from a can of sardines and let your kitty clean up that cup for you! 15
minutes later, you got a cup ready for all your drinking or experiential
needs. This works great with large items like pans or even your Chinese
made, collectors edition, Frederick Remington faux bronze knockoff. Use
this method on most anything that could use a spit shine, even your
mother-in-law - which works especially well since she already kinda
smells like sardines. Hope this helps! :-)

> your pal,
> blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>

>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and spits
> a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of high
> purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure you try
> this at home kids! :-)

Doesn't even have to be that clean of a cup to get some reaction. When I
make tea in the afternoon, I put the water in a cup in the microwave until
bubble start coming up from below. If you stick a coffee stirrer or
something into the cup at that point, it will boil furiously (and overflow
the cup).

Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:42:11 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> >> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
> >>

> >> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
> >> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> > Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
> > liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
> > without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
> > and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
> > of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
> > sure you try this at home kids! :-)

> where in the world would i get a clean cup or glass?

Out of your dishwasher, of course.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2010 9:23 AM, Default User wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 4/15/2010 12:01 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>>

>>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are right,
>>> you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a liquid,
>> it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point without
>> boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils and spits
>> a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water of high
>> purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make sure you try
>> this at home kids! :-)

> Doesn't even have to be that clean of a cup to get some reaction. When I
> make tea in the afternoon, I put the water in a cup in the microwave until
> bubble start coming up from below. If you stick a coffee stirrer or
> something into the cup at that point, it will boil furiously (and overflow
> the cup).

Wish I could make water explode - that would add some excitement to my
dull life. I don't mind 1st degree burns too much either, I get that all
the time when cooking.

I've been making coffee by heating water in a small French press in the
microwave. You'd think that clean water heated in a narrow glass
cylinder would make for ideal conditions. Unfortunately, the water has
always been boiling by the time I take it out. Oh joy - another boring
day. :-)

> Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:01:39 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>

>A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
>right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.
>
>George L

George, this is called "superheating". When water is heated to the
level of boiling, it must have loci (selected places) to focus the
phase shift from liquid to gas. In the laboratory, we use "boiling
beads". which are glass beads with rough surfaces. The microscopic
edges on these beads provide the proper loci for boiling to occur.

If you don't have these "sharp" loci to permit boiling to occur, the
water can get to well over 212 dF, a potential bomb. Shaking the cup
or moving it, of adding a bit of salt or sugar, will precipitate a
sudden mass conversion of superheated water to steam, facilitated by
the sharp points of the salt, or maybe a scratch in the glass of the
cup, or some other locus. In chemists' terms, this is called
"bumping", and it *can* be hurtful.

It's smarter to put the coffee or whatever in first, to ensure that
there is a way for excess heat to be transferred out as gas as it
occurs.

Sorry for any injuries that occurred, but it's a natural thing.

HTH,

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:16:54 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 4/16/2010 8:27 AM, blake murphy wrote:

>>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
>>> liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
>>> without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
>>> and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
>>> of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
>>> sure you try this at home kids! :-)

>> where in the world would i get a clean cup or glass?

> That's easy! Just get your dirty cup and coat the inside with the oil
> from a can of sardines and let your kitty clean up that cup for you! 15
> minutes later, you got a cup ready for all your drinking or experiential
> needs. This works great with large items like pans or even your Chinese
> made, collectors edition, Frederick Remington faux bronze knockoff. Use
> this method on most anything that could use a spit shine, even your
> mother-in-law - which works especially well since she already kinda
> smells like sardines. Hope this helps! :-)

<snort>

are you cribbing from sheldon?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:37:29 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> Just as water can be cooled below its freezing point and remain a
>>> liquid, it can also be brought to a temperature above its boiling point
>>> without boiling. "Explode" is a bit of an exaggeration. Mostly, it boils
>>> and spits a bit and flows over the container. This can happen if water
>>> of high purity is heated in a clean cup or glass in a microwave. Make
>>> sure you try this at home kids! :-)

>> where in the world would i get a clean cup or glass?

> Out of your dishwasher, of course.

oh shit! i forgot all about that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 2:29*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:59:05 -0700 (PDT), bulka wrote:
>
> > I'm usually too lazy to really cook in the morning; nuke eggs all the
> > time. *Usually on a bowl of grits. *Gotta remember to poke the yoke
> > first.

> 'poke the yoke' sounds like some kinda kink.
>
> your pal,
> blake

poke the yoke' sounds like some kinda kink.

your pal,
blake

Maybe that's why I'm too worn out to cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> George Leppla wrote:
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp
>>
>> A friend sent me the above link. Apparently if the conditions are
>> right, you can cause water to explode by heating it in a microwave.

> If the condition are right, you can make ball lightning
> in a microwave.
>
> http://jlnlabs.online.fr/plasma/gmr/index.htm

Use a whole peppermint candy.

Exploding pills? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 5 05-02-2019 07:14 AM
Heating water in a microwave oven? cos Tea 13 05-12-2006 02:24 AM
Is microwave heated water safe? Standard Deviant Tea 3 15-06-2005 07:49 AM
Exploding Water (again) Derek Tea 9 25-02-2005 03:44 PM
DANGER ! with microwave ovens exploding overheated water Nancree General Cooking 3 08-08-2004 05:12 AM