Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default the no-knead bread as pizza dough

I admit I didn't pay adequate attention, because I don't make
pizza. But a friend was just opining that he needed to make pizza
dough from scratch. Didn't someone here just have success with
this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it? Thanks.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Jean B." >
wrote:

> I admit I didn't pay adequate attention, because I don't make
> pizza. But a friend was just opining that he needed to make pizza
> dough from scratch. Didn't someone here just have success with
> this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
> formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it? Thanks.

I've used the master recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
(Hertzberg and Francois) and my method is rather unconventional but we
like it. Roll a gob of dough thin on parchment. Dock it and bake it on
a stone at 450 for only a couple minutes (to firm up the dough for the
second baking). If the dough puffs, stab it to deflate. Set aside
until it's pizza time. Flip the pizza crust and put the toppings on
what was the bottom side of the crust. Slide into oven on stone and
bake until it's done ‹ usually only a couple-few minutes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> I admit I didn't pay adequate attention, because I don't make
>> pizza. But a friend was just opining that he needed to make pizza
>> dough from scratch. Didn't someone here just have success with
>> this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
>> formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it? Thanks.

> I've used the master recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
> (Hertzberg and Francois) and my method is rather unconventional but we
> like it. Roll a gob of dough thin on parchment. Dock it and bake it on
> a stone at 450 for only a couple minutes (to firm up the dough for the
> second baking). If the dough puffs, stab it to deflate. Set aside
> until it's pizza time. Flip the pizza crust and put the toppings on
> what was the bottom side of the crust. Slide into oven on stone and
> bake until it's done ‹ usually only a couple-few minutes.

Merci. I will forward this to myself--and perhaps even buy that
book today.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2010 9:44 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> I admit I didn't pay adequate attention, because I don't make pizza.
> But a friend was just opining that he needed to make pizza dough from
> scratch. Didn't someone here just have success with this type of dough
> as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the formula that worked--or
> provide a pointer to it? Thanks.

The key is the long slow rise of the dough in the fridge. I do remember
someone posting similar to what I make.

Found it:

Original post by "zxcvbob":

"
Bob's Pizza D'oh

335 grams (2 cups, packed) bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
30 grams (2 Tbsp) olive oil or vegetable oil or bacon grease
1 cup warm water

Combine half of the flour with all the remaining ingredients in a 4
cup or larger plastic bowl that has a lid. Beat with a fork until it
looks like pancake batter. Stir in the remaining flour until well
mixed, mostly. Does not have to be kneaded.

Let it sit out for a half an hour or so to give the yeast a chance to
activate, then snap the lid on and put it in the refrigerator, at
least overnight. Keep refrigerated and ready to use for up to a week.
If the lid pops off in the fridge, punch the dough down and snap the
lid back on.

Coat your hands with flour or oil when pressing the dough into the
pizza pan because it will be kind of sticky.
"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2010 11:45 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >, "Jean >
> wrote:
>
>> I admit I didn't pay adequate attention, because I don't make
>> pizza. But a friend was just opining that he needed to make pizza
>> dough from scratch. Didn't someone here just have success with
>> this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
>> formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it? Thanks.

> I've used the master recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
> (Hertzberg and Francois) and my method is rather unconventional but we
> like it. Roll a gob of dough thin on parchment. Dock it and bake it on
> a stone at 450 for only a couple minutes (to firm up the dough for the
> second baking). If the dough puffs, stab it to deflate. Set aside
> until it's pizza time. Flip the pizza crust and put the toppings on
> what was the bottom side of the crust. Slide into oven on stone and
> bake until it's done ‹ usually only a couple-few minutes.

But the bubbles add a lot of extra flavor when then brown or even char
when you cook the pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Original post by "zxcvbob":
>
> "
> Bob's Pizza D'oh
>
> 335 grams (2 cups, packed) bread flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
> 30 grams (2 Tbsp) olive oil or vegetable oil or bacon grease
> 1 cup warm water
>
> Combine half of the flour with all the remaining ingredients in a 4
> cup or larger plastic bowl that has a lid. Beat with a fork until it
> looks like pancake batter. Stir in the remaining flour until well
> mixed, mostly. Does not have to be kneaded.
>
> Let it sit out for a half an hour or so to give the yeast a chance to
> activate, then snap the lid on and put it in the refrigerator, at
> least overnight. Keep refrigerated and ready to use for up to a week.
> If the lid pops off in the fridge, punch the dough down and snap the
> lid back on.
>
> Coat your hands with flour or oil when pressing the dough into the
> pizza pan because it will be kind of sticky.
> "

Thanks! I also just went out and acquired the book that Barb
mentioned, and I am about to go out to look for another one. I
hope my friend is appreciative.

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. > wrote:

> Didn't someone here just have success with
> this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
> formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it?

You may be thinking of me, since I said I have used a no-knead
technique successfully for pizza, however it is not the
same no-knead technique popular among RFC people.

I believe I adapted this from a no-knead, single-rise bread recipe
in The Settlement Cook Book.

No-knead Spelt Pizza:

3/4 to 1 cup of hot (110 degree) water (depending on how thick
of a pizza you are trying to create)
up to 8 oz (2 cups) whole spelt flour
dash of salt
1 t sugar
1/2 package yeast

Combine water, yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 T of spelt flour in a
mixing bowl. Let sit five minutes. Add enough flour to form
a thin batter; stir thoroughly with a fork and let sit another
five minutes. It should be bubbling from the yeast.

Now add enough flour to form a thick batter (or thin dough if you
prefer) and beat steadily with a large fork for several minutes;
it should become somewhat elastic. This step substitutes
for kneading. Finally combine this with enough flour to
form a medium-thick dough -- still somewhat wetter than a
stiff bread dough. You do not need to beat it or knead it at
this stage. Slide the dough into a greased, 9" round cake pan
(or deep-dish pizza pan of a similar size) and spread it out
into the desired shape.

Let it rise in a warm place (usually for 80 or 90 minutes),
add your pizza toppings (being careful not to smash the dough
down), and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Jean B. > wrote:
>
>> Didn't someone here just have success with
>> this type of dough as pizza dough? Would she/he please post the
>> formula that worked--or provide a pointer to it?

> You may be thinking of me, since I said I have used a no-knead
> technique successfully for pizza, however it is not the
> same no-knead technique popular among RFC people.
>
> I believe I adapted this from a no-knead, single-rise bread recipe
> in The Settlement Cook Book.
>
> No-knead Spelt Pizza:
>
> 3/4 to 1 cup of hot (110 degree) water (depending on how thick
> of a pizza you are trying to create)
> up to 8 oz (2 cups) whole spelt flour
> dash of salt
> 1 t sugar
> 1/2 package yeast
>
> Combine water, yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 T of spelt flour in a
> mixing bowl. Let sit five minutes. Add enough flour to form
> a thin batter; stir thoroughly with a fork and let sit another
> five minutes. It should be bubbling from the yeast.
>
> Now add enough flour to form a thick batter (or thin dough if you
> prefer) and beat steadily with a large fork for several minutes;
> it should become somewhat elastic. This step substitutes
> for kneading. Finally combine this with enough flour to
> form a medium-thick dough -- still somewhat wetter than a
> stiff bread dough. You do not need to beat it or knead it at
> this stage. Slide the dough into a greased, 9" round cake pan
> (or deep-dish pizza pan of a similar size) and spread it out
> into the desired shape.
>
> Let it rise in a warm place (usually for 80 or 90 minutes),
> add your pizza toppings (being careful not to smash the dough
> down), and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
>
> Steve

Thanks! I may very well have been thinking of your post.

I will add this tnt recipe to the two books I bought today, and
the augmentations I am finding online.

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:02:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>George wrote:
>> Original post by "zxcvbob":
>>
>> "
>> Bob's Pizza D'oh
>>
>> 335 grams (2 cups, packed) bread flour
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
>> 30 grams (2 Tbsp) olive oil or vegetable oil or bacon grease
>> 1 cup warm water
>>
>> Combine half of the flour with all the remaining ingredients in a 4
>> cup or larger plastic bowl that has a lid. Beat with a fork until it
>> looks like pancake batter. Stir in the remaining flour until well
>> mixed, mostly. Does not have to be kneaded.
>>
>> Let it sit out for a half an hour or so to give the yeast a chance to
>> activate, then snap the lid on and put it in the refrigerator, at
>> least overnight. Keep refrigerated and ready to use for up to a week.
>> If the lid pops off in the fridge, punch the dough down and snap the
>> lid back on.
>>
>> Coat your hands with flour or oil when pressing the dough into the
>> pizza pan because it will be kind of sticky.
>> "

>Thanks! I also just went out and acquired the book that Barb
>mentioned, and I am about to go out to look for another one. I
>hope my friend is appreciative.

I got it today also. I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:02:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> George wrote:
>>> Original post by "zxcvbob":
>>>
>>> "
>>> Bob's Pizza D'oh
>>>
>>> 335 grams (2 cups, packed) bread flour
>>> 1 tsp salt
>>> 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
>>> 30 grams (2 Tbsp) olive oil or vegetable oil or bacon grease
>>> 1 cup warm water
>>>
>>> Combine half of the flour with all the remaining ingredients in a 4
>>> cup or larger plastic bowl that has a lid. Beat with a fork until it
>>> looks like pancake batter. Stir in the remaining flour until well
>>> mixed, mostly. Does not have to be kneaded.
>>>
>>> Let it sit out for a half an hour or so to give the yeast a chance to
>>> activate, then snap the lid on and put it in the refrigerator, at
>>> least overnight. Keep refrigerated and ready to use for up to a week.
>>> If the lid pops off in the fridge, punch the dough down and snap the
>>> lid back on.
>>>
>>> Coat your hands with flour or oil when pressing the dough into the
>>> pizza pan because it will be kind of sticky.
>>> "

>> Thanks! I also just went out and acquired the book that Barb
>> mentioned, and I am about to go out to look for another one. I
>> hope my friend is appreciative.

> I got it today also. I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 02/20/10

Ah. Well, that does sounds convenient. Can you print from the
little gizmos, if that is what you downloaded to?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:43:51 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:02:01 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

snippage

>>> Thanks! I also just went out and acquired the book that Barb
>>> mentioned, and I am about to go out to look for another one. I
>>> hope my friend is appreciative.

>> I got it today also. I downloaded it from Barnes and Noble.
>>
>> koko
>> --

>Ah. Well, that does sounds convenient. Can you print from the
>little gizmos, if that is what you downloaded to?

Well, one gizmo I downloaded it to is my computer, the other is my
iPhone. I just bring the recipe up on the computer or iPhone and put
on the counter as I'm cooking, no need to print out.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 02/20/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> Well, one gizmo I downloaded it to is my computer, the other is my
> iPhone. I just bring the recipe up on the computer or iPhone and put
> on the counter as I'm cooking, no need to print out.
>
> koko
> --
>
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 02/20/10

Ah. Thanks. I was more interested in the iPhone and the ability
to print. I like having a printout that I can annotate as I cook.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:23:48 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I was more interested in the iPhone and the ability
> to print. I like having a printout that I can annotate as I cook.

I annotate recipes when the computer is in the kitchen.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:23:48 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>koko wrote:
>> Well, one gizmo I downloaded it to is my computer, the other is my
>> iPhone. I just bring the recipe up on the computer or iPhone and put
>> on the counter as I'm cooking, no need to print out.
>>
>> koko
>> --
>>
>> There is no love more sincere than the love of food
>> George Bernard Shaw
>> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>> updated 02/20/10

>Ah. Thanks. I was more interested in the iPhone and the ability
>to print. I like having a printout that I can annotate as I cook.

On the iPhone with the Barnes and Noble eReader, you can add notes and
highlight text. There is also the option to look up a word in the
Dictionary, Google or Wikipedia.

Pretty slick.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 02/20/10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On the iPhone with the Barnes and Noble eReader, you can add notes and
> highlight text. There is also the option to look up a word in the
> Dictionary, Google or Wikipedia.
>
> Pretty slick.
>
> koko
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 02/20/10

Ah. I didn't envision these things. Thanks!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:15:42 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> koko wrote:
> > On the iPhone with the Barnes and Noble eReader, you can add notes and
> > highlight text. There is also the option to look up a word in the
> > Dictionary, Google or Wikipedia.
> >
> > Pretty slick.
> >
> > koko
> > www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> > updated 02/20/10

> Ah. I didn't envision these things. Thanks!

Do you have an iPhone? I came across a recipe app for it yesterday.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:15:42 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> koko wrote:
>>> On the iPhone with the Barnes and Noble eReader, you can add notes and
>>> highlight text. There is also the option to look up a word in the
>>> Dictionary, Google or Wikipedia.
>>>
>>> Pretty slick.
>>>
>>> koko
>>> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
>>> updated 02/20/10

>> Ah. I didn't envision these things. Thanks!

> Do you have an iPhone? I came across a recipe app for it yesterday.

No. I have a Droid though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:13:47 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> Ah. I didn't envision these things. Thanks!

> > Do you have an iPhone? I came across a recipe app for it yesterday.
> >

> No. I have a Droid though.

I don't have a "smart phone", just noticed the program said iPhone.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:13:47 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> Do you have an iPhone? I came across a recipe app for it yesterday.
>>>

>> No. I have a Droid though.

> I don't have a "smart phone", just noticed the program said iPhone.

I was given this phone. For the moment, I am up to date. Its
predecessor was very old.