Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza Dough with Bread Machine

Just started making pizza dough in my bread machine, works ok except the
dough it not very pliable, what can i do to make it workable, easier to roll
out, it's rubbery. looks good, just can't get it to roll out.
Piedmont

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> Just started making pizza dough in my bread machine, works ok except the
> dough it not very pliable, what can i do to make it workable, easier to
> roll out, it's rubbery. looks good, just can't get it to roll out.
> Piedmont

I make pizza dough in the bread machine routinely. You have to make a fairly
moist dough[1.25 cups water for 3 cups flour]. After the initial kneading,
turn the machine off and rise the dough to twice normal. Do not over rise.
Take the dough ball out, punch it down a bit on a floured kneading board,
and let it sit until you want to make pizza.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> Just started making pizza dough in my bread machine, works ok except the
>> dough it not very pliable, what can i do to make it workable, easier to
>> roll out, it's rubbery. looks good, just can't get it to roll out.
>> Piedmont

> I make pizza dough in the bread machine routinely. You have to make a
> fairly moist dough[1.25 cups water for 3 cups flour]. After the initial
> kneading, turn the machine off and rise the dough to twice normal. Do not
> over rise. Take the dough ball out, punch it down a bit on a floured
> kneading board, and let it sit until you want to make pizza.
>
> Ed

Ed,

I was cutting back on the water because the dough was sooo sticky, I will
add the water back in and oil my hands in order to roll/flatten it out. Here
is the original dough recipe that came with the Breadman Bread Machine.

water - 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp (I whittled it down to 1 cup minus 2 Tbsp)
olive oil - 1-1/2 Tbsp
salt - 1-1/2 tsp
sugar - 1-1/2 tsp
bread flour - 3 cups
yeast 1-1/2 tsp

Piedmont

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:02:14 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Piedmont"
> wrote,
>
>"Theron" > wrote in message

[...]
>> over rise. Take the dough ball out, punch it down a bit on a floured
>> kneading board, and let it sit until you want to make pizza.

>I was cutting back on the water because the dough was sooo sticky, I will
>add the water back in and oil my hands in order to roll/flatten it out.

I would not suggest oily hands. Instead do like Theron suggested,
work it on a floured board so that the surface (only) of the dough ball
incorporates extra flour and becomes non-sticky.

Perhaps all-purpose flour instead of bread flour would be less rubbery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:02:14 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Piedmont"
> > wrote,
>>
>>"Theron" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>> over rise. Take the dough ball out, punch it down a bit on a floured
>>> kneading board, and let it sit until you want to make pizza.

>>I was cutting back on the water because the dough was sooo sticky, I will
>>add the water back in and oil my hands in order to roll/flatten it out.

> I would not suggest oily hands. Instead do like Theron suggested,
> work it on a floured board so that the surface (only) of the dough ball
> incorporates extra flour and becomes non-sticky.
>
> Perhaps all-purpose flour instead of bread flour would be less rubbery.

All purpose flour is more appropriate than bread flower for pizza. In Italy
they use
double 00 flour for pizza, which is slightly lower in gluten than all
purpose. You can mimic this
somewhat by mixing 1/3 cake flour and 2/3 all purpose. I have stuck with all
purpose. That's what
my local pizza parlor does and that's essentially what I'm trying to mimic.
I strongly agree to not use
oily hands. Do it all with flour on the board. You don't, however, want to
knead too much unleavened
flour into the dough itself.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "David Harmon" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:02:14 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Piedmont"
>> > wrote,
>>>
>>>"Theron" > wrote in message

>> [...]
>>>
>>>I was cutting back on the water because the dough was sooo sticky, I will
>>>add the water back in and oil my hands in order to roll/flatten it out.

>> I would not suggest oily hands. Instead do like Theron suggested,
>> work it on a floured board so that the surface (only) of the dough ball
>> incorporates extra flour and becomes non-sticky.
>>
>> Perhaps all-purpose flour instead of bread flour would be less rubbery.
>>

> All purpose flour is more appropriate than bread flower for pizza. In
> Italy they use
> double 00 flour for pizza, which is slightly lower in gluten than all
> purpose. You can mimic this
> somewhat by mixing 1/3 cake flour and 2/3 all purpose. I have stuck with
> all purpose. That's what
> my local pizza parlor does and that's essentially what I'm trying to
> mimic. I strongly agree to not use
> oily hands. Do it all with flour on the board. You don't, however, want to
> knead too much unleavened
> flour into the dough itself.
>
> Ed

I have tried with all purpose 4 times and bread flour once, both the dough
were extremely sticky unless cutting back on the water, globs onto any skin
that touchs it. I did just as you said by working some flour into it after
rising but it was soo sticky I ened up adding nearly 3/4 cup extra flour. Is
there some way that you can describe the dough that you end up with. I mean,
my dough is unbelievably sticky and onerous to lay out. I'd like to get it
to the level of a pizza parlor when they toss it. I had a theory that I
needed to let it rest and hour before using.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Piedmont" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>>
>> "David Harmon" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:02:14 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Piedmont"

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I would not suggest oily hands. Instead do like Theron suggested,
>>> work it on a floured board so that the surface (only) of the dough ball
>>> incorporates extra flour and becomes non-sticky.
>>>
>>> Perhaps all-purpose flour instead of bread flour would be less rubbery.
>>>

>> All purpose flour is more appropriate than bread flower for pizza. In
>> Italy they use
>> double 00 flour for pizza, which is slightly lower in gluten than all
>> purpose. You can mimic this
>> somewhat by mixing 1/3 cake flour and 2/3 all purpose. I have stuck with
>> all purpose. That's what
>> my local pizza parlor does and that's essentially what I'm trying to
>> mimic. I strongly agree to not use
>> oily hands. Do it all with flour on the board. You don't, however, want
>> to knead too much unleavened
>> flour into the dough itself.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> I have tried with all purpose 4 times and bread flour once, both the dough
> were extremely sticky unless cutting back on the water, globs onto any
> skin that touchs it. I did just as you said by working some flour into it
> after rising but it was soo sticky I ened up adding nearly 3/4 cup extra
> flour. Is there some way that you can describe the dough that you end up
> with. I mean, my dough is unbelievably sticky and onerous to lay out. I'd
> like to get it to the level of a pizza parlor when they toss it. I had a
> theory that I needed to let it rest and hour before using.

Following is close to what I do.I use a biga or sponge, frequently, though
you don't have to. I use 1TB olive oil for 3 cups flour and 1.75 tsp Kosher
salt. The recipe below is even stickier than my 3 cups flour to1.25cups
water. It does that you must be gentle to get it on the pizza stone. I
always, after the first rise, divide the ball into two and punch the balls
slightly to flatten a bit on a floured wooden bread board[2 feet by 3 feet
of 1/2 inch plywood from your local lumbar yard]. When you're going to make
your pizza, very gently stretch the dough out to about 12 inches, and then
grasping the edge around slowly nurse the outer edges to give you a pizza
round of 14-16 inches, depending on to the degree of thinness you want it.
Do this on a floured pizza paddle[from your local restaurant supply store,
much cheaper, and much better than William Sonoma]. Then top with whatever
you want. For the first several pizzas top gingerly until you are
comfortable getting the pizza from your paddle to the heated pizza stone.
Make a simple pizza margharita.
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org...ead_pizza.html This dough is
more moist than mine.
ALWAYS, heat your pizza stone to 500+F for at least 45 minutes before you
proceed. After the pizza is on the stone, spray water gently to the top half
of your oven. This crisps the edges. Your pizza should bake in 6-8 minutes.
I usually am not able to throw my pizza round as they do in pizza parlors,
thought now and then I do. Do not overknead your dough! Pizza should have a
crisp airy crust, and should be nice and stiff under the topping. Don't buy
your first stone at Macy's. As a trial Walmart, ours at least, had a thin
pizza stone. It works on my grill for outdoor pizza, though that's a whole
new effort. Get a hefty stone, over 1/2 inches when you get into this.

The best of luck to you. :If you tried four times you'll make it fine.

Ed