Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unglazed Quarry Tiles

For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

It's called a Saltillo paver. 12 x 12 inches. $1.19
The Home Depot item number is 187-565.
http://i49.tinypic.com/r77w5y.jpg

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" wrote in message
m...
For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

It's called a Saltillo paver. 12 x 12 inches. $1.19
The Home Depot item number is 187-565.
http://i49.tinypic.com/r77w5y.jpg

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.

I have some but tried to buy more at HD for the bbq. Not only were they not
in stock, no-one knew what they were!
Thanks for the stock #!
Graham

Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.

That's called "seasoning".
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

It's called a Saltillo paver. 12 x 12 inches. $1.19
The Home Depot item number is 187-565.
http://i49.tinypic.com/r77w5y.jpg

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.

Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to replace some old
tiles that got stuff burnt on them and I threw them out.
The last time I looked at Home Depot the only tiles I could
find were smaller (maybe 8" square) and looked like they had
some sort of coating on them, although they were unglazed.
I'll have to check them out. I think the animal tracks are
kinda cute. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 14:34:07 -0500, Kate Connally
wrote:

David Harmon wrote:
For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

snip

Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to replace some old
tiles that got stuff burnt on them and I threw them out.
The last time I looked at Home Depot the only tiles I could
find were smaller (maybe 8" square) and looked like they had
some sort of coating on them, although they were unglazed.
I'll have to check them out. I think the animal tracks are
kinda cute. ;-)

Kate, if your tiles are black that's a good thing. Think of them like
your cast iron skillet. If it's just crud, scrape them, put them in
the dishwasher or put them through your oven's self cleaning cycle. I
just took a razorblade to two of mine yesterday to scrape off some
crud that didn't want to come off by washing.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

David Harmon wrote:
For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

snip
Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to replace some old
tiles that got stuff burnt on them and I threw them out.
The last time I looked at Home Depot the only tiles I could
find were smaller (maybe 8" square) and looked like they had
some sort of coating on them, although they were unglazed.
I'll have to check them out. I think the animal tracks are
kinda cute. ;-)

Kate, if your tiles are black that's a good thing. Think of them like
your cast iron skillet.

The burnt on stuff could not be removed sufficiently to restore
them to their original porous state. And they were dirt cheap
so I thought I would just get new ones. Easier than cleaning them.
(I tried scouring them but didn't help.)

If it's just crud, scrape them, put them in
the dishwasher or put them through your oven's self cleaning cycle.

I don't use a dishwasher. I hate dishwashers.

Also, I don't have s self-cleaning oven.

But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Kate

Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

David Harmon wrote:
[...]

My point was KEEP them black. It's a good thing, not a bad thing. I
only suggested the other methods because you seemed so hell bent on
having "like new" tiles.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
David Harmon wrote:

For those who were asking about cheap unglazed clay tiles that you
can use as a pizza stone in the oven:

It's called a Saltillo paver. 12 x 12 inches. $1.19
The Home Depot item number is 187-565.
http://i49.tinypic.com/r77w5y.jpg

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.

Cute. I cant imagine that the stamped footprint would interfere with
any baking.

Try a tile supply store instead of a big box store. I bought 6" square
tiles for cheap at a local tile shop.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; new entries posted 2-2-2010
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Kate Connally wrote:

The last time I looked at Home Depot the only tiles I could
find were smaller (maybe 8" square) and looked like they had
some sort of coating on them, although they were unglazed.

Try a tile shop, Kate. I scrubbed mine before using them.