Old 23-12-2009, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unglazed quarry tiles

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
....."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb

Old 23-12-2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 3:30 pm, notbob wrote:
Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb

I'm sorry, NB.

I got the last box, some five years ago.

(OK, joking aside .....

1) Just go to Lowes or HD and look. Any tiles without glazing will
work. Heck, tiles with glazing will work just fine too, except that
you will have no easy way of finding out whether or not the glaze
contains lead, which you probably don't want in your oven and/or under
your food.

2) Anything else that will hold heat like tiles will work fine too.
For example, cement pavers or even bricks. The potential issue with
these is weight.

3) Oddly enough, I just got out my tiles and put them in the oven so I
can bake homemade pizza for dinner tonight. Since I bought a whole
box of them, I have extras to give away. If you happen to be anywhere
near the mighty Nissitissit River (Google is your friend), drop me a
line and I'll be happy to give you some.

)

--
Silvar Beitel
(Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good food bash for the
Old 23-12-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 12:30*pm, notbob wrote:
Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb *

There's very little demand for unglazed tiles. Oh...take an anger
management class...it'll help.
Old 23-12-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb

It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
abandoned special order in the clearance pile.
Old 23-12-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:30:32 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
wrote,
Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

Old 23-12-2009, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

notbob wrote:

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half

It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
abandoned special order in the clearance pile.

It could be a regional thing. Building supplies vary by what part
of the country you are in. Maybe the unglazed tiles are more
popular in some areas than others, so the local store doesn't
stock them where they aren't used often.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Old 23-12-2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

David Harmon wrote:

I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

I got the same sort of unglazed ceramic tiles at Lowe's for about the
same price, too. However, I do wonder about the (potential) lead
content of said unglazed tiles!!

Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
heard/read it can explode????

Sky
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 23-12-2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:

I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

I got the same sort of unglazed ceramic tiles at Lowe's for about the
same price, too. However, I do wonder about the (potential) lead
content of said unglazed tiles!!

Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
heard/read it can explode????

Sky

Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry tiles
are not aggregate.
Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

Old 23-12-2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sky wrote:

Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
heard/read it can explode????

Nope, nope and nope. I had no clue, but was curious, so I looked it up:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quarry-tile.htm

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 23-12-2009, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

notbob wrote:

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
abandoned special order in the clearance pile.

In fact, you might try the local dump. We had a craft project at church
camp a few years back involving tiles. The person doing the project got
her stuff at the dump. People who do tile work buy boxes, and I guess
they can't return partial boxes, or something. They just take stuff to
the dump. Lots of perfectly good stuff ends up at the dump, and we
don't have room to bury it all, so anything worthwhile gets put up for
sale at Recycle Town, which is at the dump.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 23-12-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
notbob wrote:

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb

I bought mine from a tile shop. 6" square, really inexpensive, about
1/4" thick.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/15/2009
Old 23-12-2009, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dan Abel wrote:

In article ,
Sky wrote:

Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
heard/read it can explode????

Nope, nope and nope. I had no clue, but was curious, so I looked it up:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quarry-tile.htm

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Thanks for sharing the link. I learned something

Sky, who says Merry Christmas, too!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 24-12-2009, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 1:23*pm, David Harmon wrote:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:30:32 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
wrote,

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I got mine at Home Depot. *12" square and 1/2 thick.
A dollar and change. *Stock item, not some special.

Would you be able to provide me with the item number?

Old 24-12-2009, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 3:28*pm, Melba's Jammin'

*notbob wrote:
Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb *

I bought mine from a tile shop. *6" square, really inexpensive, about
1/4" thick.

I would really want one that size(for toaster oven) but at the Home
Depot nearby, the guy said they have to order for me and the price
info the gave didn't sound right. Can you describe it so that I'd
know what to look for when I got to a tile shop in a nerby city.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller12/15/2009

Old 24-12-2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:

Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry
tiles
are not aggregate.
Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

I sure hope Thornson isn't reading this.

-sw

I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
Janet