Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unglazed quarry tiles

Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
....."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 3:30 pm, notbob > wrote:
> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

I'm sorry, NB.

I got the last box, some five years ago.

(OK, joking aside .....

1) Just go to Lowes or HD and look. Any tiles without glazing will
work. Heck, tiles with glazing will work just fine too, except that
you will have no easy way of finding out whether or not the glaze
contains lead, which you probably don't want in your oven and/or under
your food.

2) Anything else that will hold heat like tiles will work fine too.
For example, cement pavers or even bricks. The potential issue with
these is weight.

3) Oddly enough, I just got out my tiles and put them in the oven so I
can bake homemade pizza for dinner tonight. Since I bought a whole
box of them, I have extras to give away. If you happen to be anywhere
near the mighty Nissitissit River (Google is your friend), drop me a
line and I'll be happy to give you some.

)

--
Silvar Beitel
(Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good food bash for the
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 12:30*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb *

There's very little demand for unglazed tiles. Oh...take an anger
management class...it'll help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
abandoned special order in the clearance pile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:30:32 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
> wrote,
>Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
> >
> > I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half

> It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
> of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
> abandoned special order in the clearance pile.

It could be a regional thing. Building supplies vary by what part
of the country you are in. Maybe the unglazed tiles are more
popular in some areas than others, so the local store doesn't
stock them where they aren't used often.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

David Harmon wrote:

> I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
> A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

I got the same sort of unglazed ceramic tiles at Lowe's for about the
same price, too. However, I do wonder about the (potential) lead
content of said unglazed tiles!!

Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
heard/read it can explode????

Sky
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>>
>> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
>> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
>> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
>> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
>> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
>> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
>> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>>
>> nb

> David Harmon wrote:
>>
>> I got mine at Home Depot. 12" square and 1/2 thick.
>> A dollar and change. Stock item, not some special.

> I got the same sort of unglazed ceramic tiles at Lowe's for about the
> same price, too. However, I do wonder about the (potential) lead
> content of said unglazed tiles!!
>
> Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
> ?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
> heard/read it can explode????
>
> Sky

Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry tiles
are not aggregate.
Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
> ?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
> heard/read it can explode????

Nope, nope and nope. I had no clue, but was curious, so I looked it up:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quarry-tile.htm

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
> >
> > I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> > dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> > under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> > wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

> It's probably not a lie, but it's probably a single regurgitated story
> of someone who ran across a couple boxes of said tiles that were an
> abandoned special order in the clearance pile.

In fact, you might try the local dump. We had a craft project at church
camp a few years back involving tiles. The person doing the project got
her stuff at the dump. People who do tile work buy boxes, and I guess
they can't return partial boxes, or something. They just take stuff to
the dump. Lots of perfectly good stuff ends up at the dump, and we
don't have room to bury it all, so anything worthwhile gets put up for
sale at Recycle Town, which is at the dump.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

I bought mine from a tile shop. 6" square, really inexpensive, about
1/4" thick.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/15/2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Aren't "quarry" tiles a different critter than unglazed ceramic tiles
> > ?? Wouldn't quarry imply stone? Beware the stone I think? because I've
> > heard/read it can explode????

> Nope, nope and nope. I had no clue, but was curious, so I looked it up:
>
> http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quarry-tile.htm
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Thanks for sharing the link. I learned something

Sky, who says Merry Christmas, too!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 1:23*pm, David Harmon > wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:30:32 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
> > wrote,
>
> >Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

> I got mine at Home Depot. *12" square and 1/2 thick.
> A dollar and change. *Stock item, not some special.

Would you be able to provide me with the item number?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 3:28*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *notbob > wrote:
> > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

> > I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > ...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
> > dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> > under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> > wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

> > nb *

> I bought mine from a tile shop. *6" square, really inexpensive, about
> 1/4" thick.

I would really want one that size(for toaster oven) but at the Home
Depot nearby, the guy said they have to order for me and the price
info the gave didn't sound right. Can you describe it so that I'd
know what to look for when I got to a tile shop in a nerby city.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller12/15/2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry
>> tiles
>> are not aggregate.
>> Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

> I sure hope Thornson isn't reading this.
>
> -sw

I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:30:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
>I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
>countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
>cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
>...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
>dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
>under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
>wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

nb, I have access to unglazed tiles sold by the each - but quoted over
the phone by the square foot. Give me a holler if you'd like an
intermediary.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:48:51 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Lots of perfectly good stuff ends up at the dump, and we
>don't have room to bury it all, so anything worthwhile gets put up for
>sale at Recycle Town, which is at the dump.

Kewl! I've seen our guys taking stuff that's usable when we take
things to the dump, but I've never been aware of what they do with it
here. I assumed they sold it... but not directly to the public.
Haven't heard about a resale store here. Need to check now.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

Got mine at Home Depot a few years back. Did you actually look or just
call? Chances are, the phone drone has no idea what you really want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:17:54 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry
>>> tiles
>>> are not aggregate.
>>> Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

>> I sure hope Thornson isn't reading this.
>>
>> -sw

>I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
>Janet

You haven't noticed Mark Thorson?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:17:54 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I sure hope Thornson isn't reading this.
>>>
>>> -sw

>>I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
>>Janet
>>

> You haven't noticed Mark Thorson?

I'm just dim sometimes. For some reason I didn't connect Thornson and
Thorson. :{
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:53:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>>
>> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
>> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
>> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
>> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
>> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
>> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
>> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>>
>> nb

> Got mine at Home Depot a few years back. Did you actually look or just
> call? Chances are, the phone drone has no idea what you really want.

and if by chance he spoke the truth, what's the big deal in ordering some?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:41:53 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p"
> wrote,
>They aren't that hard to find in the southwest. There's no
>guarantee that the clay they are made from is lead-free.

There is no guarantee, but I'm not really worried about it. Most of the
problems with lead in ceramics comes from glazes with lead oxide as a
component. If you're worried, Home Depot also sells lead test swabs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:55:54 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, Manda Ruby
> wrote,
>On Dec 23, 1:23*pm, David Harmon > wrote:
>> I got mine at Home Depot. *12" square and 1/2 thick.
>> A dollar and change. *Stock item, not some special.

>Would you be able to provide me with the item number?

After my next trip to Home Depot, whenever that happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

> They aren't that hard to find in the southwest. There's no
> guarantee that the clay they are made from is lead-free.

In California there's no Porp 65 requirement to label items not related
to food preparation. Outside California there's no requirement to
include Prop 65 labels on anything.

Tiles for flooring aren't food preparation items. Not that I have any
idea how much lead leaches out of a tile into the crust of a pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:17:54 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:25:05 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> Tile made of aggregate (pieces) have the potential to explode. Quarry
>>> tiles
>>> are not aggregate.
>>> Maybe this explanation will help you. http://tinyurl.com/ycln2b4

>> I sure hope Thornson isn't reading this.
>>
>> -sw

>I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
>Janet

That would be Thornson Grain! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:41:53 -0700, "gloria.p" >

>> Pete C. > wrote:

>> It could be a regional thing. Building supplies vary by what part
>> of the country you are in. Maybe the unglazed tiles are more
>> popular in some areas than others, so the local store doesn't
>> stock them where they aren't used often.
>>

>They aren't that hard to find in the southwest. There's no
>guarantee that the clay they are made from is lead-free.
>
>gloria p

There's no quarantee that the tiles from any hardware store are lead
free... they're all building supplies, not necessarily food safe.
Tiles do nothing to improvew baking in a home oven anyway, except
waste energy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> On Dec 23, 3:28*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *notbob > wrote:
> > > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

> > > I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > > ...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
> > > dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> > > under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> > > wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

> > > nb *

> > I bought mine from a tile shop. *6" square, really inexpensive, about
> > 1/4" thick.

> I would really want one that size(for toaster oven) but at the Home
> Depot nearby, the guy said they have to order for me and the price
> info the gave didn't sound right. Can you describe it so that I'd
> know what to look for when I got to a tile shop in a nerby city.

6" square, really inexpensive, about 1/4" thick.
Terra cotta tile - the same stuff that flower pots are made of.
Why do you want a tile for your toaster oven?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/15/2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?
>
> I've been searching high and low. More specifically, Lowe's, which
> countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. NOT! Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> ...."...no, but we can order them". Likewise Home depot and half
> dozen lame small businesses. I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.
>
> nb

Sorry to hear that. We bought ours at Home De(s)pot a few years ago.
AFAIK, but haven't checked, they still stock them. Common flooring item
for that 'Santa Fe' look donchaknow...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:59:29 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:39:52 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:17:54 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
>> > wrote:

>>>I don't get the reference -- I'm pretty clueless. Who is Thornson?
>>>Janet
>>>

>> That would be Thornson Grain! LOL

>Another WHOOSH!

Nope... if you want to be creative it's been Thorazine for ages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:
>> They aren't that hard to find in the southwest. There's no
>> guarantee that the clay they are made from is lead-free.

> In California there's no Porp 65 requirement to label items not related
> to food preparation. Outside California there's no requirement to
> include Prop 65 labels on anything.
>
> Tiles for flooring aren't food preparation items. Not that I have any
> idea how much lead leaches out of a tile into the crust of a pizza.

If in doubt I'd wrap the tile in heavy duty foil, maybe a couple
of layers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:01:02 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:
>>> They aren't that hard to find in the southwest. There's no
>>> guarantee that the clay they are made from is lead-free.

>> In California there's no Porp 65 requirement to label items not related
>> to food preparation. Outside California there's no requirement to
>> include Prop 65 labels on anything.
>>
>> Tiles for flooring aren't food preparation items. Not that I have any
>> idea how much lead leaches out of a tile into the crust of a pizza.

>If in doubt I'd wrap the tile in heavy duty foil, maybe a couple
>of layers.
>
>gloria p

Then what's the point? Tiles/stones don't do anything to improve
baking in a home oven anyway, especially not when placed in a metal
pan... there is no way to turn a home oven (gas or electric) into a
real brick oven. A real brick oven relies on the flames licking the
bricks and with electric the elements are embedded inside the bricks,
nor does a home oven produce anywhere near the BTUs needed for
sufficient recovery rate... about all one accomplishes by placing
stones in their home oven is increase their fuel bill, quite possibly
ruining their oven, and display their ignornace... my GE Profile
stove's owner's manual displays a prominent warning (in red) that use
of pizza stones voids the warranty (home ovens are not designed to
operate at their extreme temperature range with anything that inhibits
convection and/or concentrates heat in any particular areas, this can
warp sheet metal and damage thermostats and other components).
Nowadays even commercial bakeries use perforated bakeware, they
realize that it produces far better results and with significantly
lower energy consumption.... the greater the air circulation,
especially at the bottom of breads, the better the results and at
lower temperatures... past a point higher baking temperature causes
top burning before the product is baked through... oven temperatures
above 450ºF burns pizza toppings and can easily damage home oven sheet
metal because the large area of a pizza stone impedes normal
convection. Most every pizzeria today uses pizza screens. Anyone who
owns a convection oven should definitely be using a pizza screen and
perforated bakeware for all breads. Use of pizza stones with
convection ovens is indicative of gross stupidity so severe that
smarter then a 5th grader would be no achievement, when in fact those
idiots aren't smarter than a 5 year old.

Imagine, folks paying good money for a modern stove and then being
suckered in to buying ancient Aztec cooking rocks. Perhaps solar
baking ain't far off, but in the future it won't need to be done
outdoors in a scorching desert clime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 23, 3:02*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Dec 23, 12:30*pm, notbob > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen this legendary mythical creature?

> > I've been searching high and low. *More specifically, Lowe's, which
> > countless baking web-sites swear is the world-wide purveyor of dirt
> > cheap red unglazed quarry tiles. *NOT! *Called 3 Lowe's and been told
> > ...."...no, but we can order them". *Likewise Home depot and half
> > dozen lame small businesses. *I can only suspect the "line my oven for
> > under $5" is a blantant outright lie perpetrated by snarky bread geek
> > wannabe's wishing to impress clueless sourdough wannebe's like myself.

> > nb *

> There's very little demand for unglazed tiles. Oh...take an anger
> management class...it'll help.

They are mostly for commercial applications. I remember replacing
some in the production area of a donut shop almost 30 years ago, and
they were in every kitchen in the stores I used to run cleaning crews
in. The advantage of them is that they hold up to caustic industrial
degreasers.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:46:48 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, David Harmon
> wrote,
>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:55:54 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, Manda Ruby
> wrote,
>>On Dec 23, 1:23*pm, David Harmon > wrote:
>>> I got mine at Home Depot. *12" square and 1/2 thick.
>>> A dollar and change. *Stock item, not some special.

>>Would you be able to provide me with the item number?

>After my next trip to Home Depot, whenever that happens.

It's called a Saltillo paver. 12 x 12 inches. $1.19
The Home Depot item number is 187-565.
http://i49.tinypic.com/r77w5y.jpg

The one I bought for a pizza stone is nice and flat. When I went
back yesterday, every one they had in stock had some kind of animal
tracks in the surface. Not just one kind, either, but quite a
variety of tracks.