Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Elvis Presley Pound Cake

Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
was in the Chicago Tribune. I have not tried it, but I would love to.
Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
movies.

BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.

Becca

Elvis Presley Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
7 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the sugar and butter in bowl of electric
mixer; beat on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1
at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the
flour; add whipping cream. Beat in remaining flour and vanilla.

Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8½-x-4½-inch loaf pans. Bake
until golden and a tester inserted in the center of cakes comes out
clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool
completely on wire racks. Makes 2 cakes, about 20 servings.

*PER SERVING: Calories* 317 (43% fat) *Fat* 15 g (9 g sat) *
Cholesterol* 115 mg* Sodium* 120 mg *Carbohydrates* 42 g * Protein*

*This recipe for Elvis Presley Poundcake* is almost as legendary as the
man it's named for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 11:46*am, Becca > wrote:
> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
> was in the Chicago Tribune. *I have not tried it, but I would love to. *
> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
> movies.
>
> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.
>
> Becca
>
> Elvis Presley Pound Cake
>
> 3 cups sugar * *
> 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened * *
> 7 eggs, at room temperature * *
> 3 cups cake flour, sifted twice * *
> 1 cup whipping cream * *
> 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the sugar and butter in bowl of electric
> mixer; beat on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1
> at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the
> flour; add whipping cream. Beat in remaining flour and vanilla.
>
> Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8½-x-4½-inch loaf pans. Bake
> until golden and a tester inserted in the center of cakes comes out
> clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool
> completely on wire racks. Makes 2 cakes, about 20 servings.
>
> *PER SERVING: Calories* 317 (43% fat) *Fat* 15 g (9 g sat) *
> Cholesterol* 115 mg* Sodium* 120 mg *Carbohydrates* 42 g * Protein*
>
> *This recipe for Elvis Presley Poundcake* is almost as legendary as the
> man it's named for.

This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" schrieb :
On Jan 8, 11:46 am, Becca > wrote:
>> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
>> was in the Chicago Tribune. I have not tried it, but I would love to.
>> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
>> movies.

<snip>
>> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.

>> Becca

> This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
> into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 1:07*pm, "Michael Kuettner" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" schrieb :
> On Jan 8, 11:46 am, Becca > wrote:
>
> >> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
> >> was in the Chicago Tribune. I have not tried it, but I would love to.
> >> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
> >> movies.

> <snip>
> >> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.

> >> Becca

> > This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
> > into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

> Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Well, that was the name BH & G gave it in a 60s recipe book ;-) I
never said it was authentically from Vienna.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" schrieb :
>On Jan 8, 1:07 pm, "Michael Kuettner" > wrote:

>> <snip>

>> > This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
>> > into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

>> Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".

> Well, that was the name BH & G gave it in a 60s recipe book ;-) I
> never said it was authentically from Vienna.

Well, I don't know who or what "BH & G" is. But they shouldn't use
words where they don't understand the concept behind them.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:07:44 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Nancy2" schrieb :
>On Jan 8, 11:46 am, Becca > wrote:
>>> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
>>> was in the Chicago Tribune. I have not tried it, but I would love to.
>>> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
>>> movies.

><snip>
>>> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.

>>> Becca

>> This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
>> into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

>Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Kuettner

We make French Toast over here, too, and English muffins. Live with
it.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:25:59 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Nancy2" schrieb :
>>On Jan 8, 1:07 pm, "Michael Kuettner" > wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".

>> Well, that was the name BH & G gave it in a 60s recipe book ;-) I
>> never said it was authentically from Vienna.

>Well, I don't know who or what "BH & G" is. But they shouldn't use
>words where they don't understand the concept behind them.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Kuettner

You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
fancy-pants after all, now are you?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" schrieb :
<snip>
> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
> fancy-pants after all, now are you?

The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
in the running.

Go munch your Mac'n'Cheese,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" schrieb :
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:07:44 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:

>><snip>

>>> This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
>>> into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

>>Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".
>>

> We make French Toast over here, too, and English muffins. Live with
> it.

Yeah, I'm always amused about USAn food.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
> <snip>
>> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>> fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>>

> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
> in the running.
>
> Go munch your Mac'n'Cheese,
>
> Michael Kuettner

BH&G is Better Homes and Gardens....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
> into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.
>
> N.

Epicurious has a Viennese Linzertorte recipe that resembles exactly what
you describe. We are going on vacation tomorrow, but I would like to
try that recipe.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
> was in the Chicago Tribune. I have not tried it, but I would love to.
> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
> movies.
> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.
> Becca
>
> Elvis Presley Pound Cake
>
> 3 cups sugar 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened 7 eggs, at room
> temperature 3 cups cake flour, sifted twice 1 cup whipping
> cream 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
>

> Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the sugar and butter in bowl of electric
> mixer; beat on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1
> at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the
> flour; add whipping cream. Beat in remaining flour and vanilla.
>
> Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8½-x-4½-inch loaf pans. Bake
> until golden and a tester inserted in the center of cakes comes out
> clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool
> completely on wire racks. Makes 2 cakes, about 20 servings.
>
> *PER SERVING: Calories* 317 (43% fat) *Fat* 15 g (9 g sat) *
> Cholesterol* 115 mg* Sodium* 120 mg *Carbohydrates* 42 g * Protein*
>
> *This recipe for Elvis Presley Poundcake* is almost as legendary as the
> man it's named for.

Can it be deep fried?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:09:49 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:25:59 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:
>>
>>Well, I don't know who or what "BH & G" is. But they shouldn't use
>>words where they don't understand the concept behind them.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Michael Kuettner

>You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>fancy-pants after all, now are you?

He's not an American.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:08:24 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:07:44 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>><snip>

>>> This would be really good for a Viennese Torte, separated horizontally
>>> into 7 or so layers and filled with chocolate ganache.

>>Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Michael Kuettner
>>

>We make French Toast over here, too, and English muffins. Live with
>it.

The Danes and the Viennese are fighting over pastry too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Jean B. wrote:

> BH&G is Better Homes and Gardens....
>
> --
> Jean B.

I like the BH&G magazine(s). Although, I do believe it's a bit
regional??? I'm not sure however. For instance, there are various
".... Living" magazines, whether they're "Southern ...., Midwestern
......" or others in various USA regions. Mostly fru-fru stuff, but
there are some features to be gleaned ;>> Somtimes there are even very
good recipes! YMMV of course!

Sky, a magazine junkie

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message

| "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
| > On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:07:44 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
| > > wrote:

| >><snip>

| >>Only for an USAn "Viennese Torte".
| >>

| > We make French Toast over here, too, and English muffins. Live with
| > it.
| >
| Yeah, I'm always amused about USAn food.

Perhaps. Yet some of us Americans are amused, delighted, overwhelmed
and amazed by a Sacher Torte. And this one is about as good as I have
ever made. Are you in the split across the middle school or the one solid
piece school? Or do you think it matters as long as the quality of the
chocolate and the apricot filling are great?
http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/...7906071_4.html

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:46:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:09:49 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>> >You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>> >fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>> >

>> He's not an American.

> Sure. So he doesn't know everything about America. Much like most
>Americans don't know everything about Austria. That's life.

So he's a know it all fathead, do we have to be too? I think not.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:20:29 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>I like the BH&G magazine(s). Although, I do believe it's a bit
>regional???

I've never thought of BH&G as regional. An example of regional
magazine, for me, is Sunset. Their market is Western states and as
far as I know they don't advertise outside of that market.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> I like the BH&G magazine(s). Although, I do believe it's a bit
> regional??? I'm not sure however. For instance, there are various
> ".... Living" magazines, whether they're "Southern ...., Midwestern
> ....." or others in various USA regions. Mostly fru-fru stuff, but
> there are some features to be gleaned ;>> Somtimes there are even very
> good recipes! YMMV of course!
>
> Sky, a magazine junkie

Sky, I agree, some of the regional magazines contain recipes worth
trying. I like Texas Monthly and Southern Living, but I would love to
be exposed to some from other parts of the country.

Texas Monthly (you have to click "Skip This Ad", sometimes)
http://www.texasmonthly.com/food

Southern Living
http://www.southernliving.com/food/

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." schrieb :

> BH&G is Better Homes and Gardens....

Thank you.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" schrieb :
<snip>
> Perhaps. Yet some of us Americans are amused, delighted, overwhelmed
> and amazed by a Sacher Torte. And this one is about as good as I have
> ever made. Are you in the split across the middle school or the one solid
> piece school? Or do you think it matters as long as the quality of the
> chocolate and the apricot filling are great?

Cut once horizontally. There are still some one solid piece heretics
around, but we will get them eventually ;-)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:46:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:09:49 -0500, Boron Elgar

>>> He's not an American.

>> Sure. So he doesn't know everything about America. Much like most
>> Americans don't know everything about Austria. That's life.
>>

> So he's a know it all fathead, do we have to be too? I think not.

Oh, come on! I value Michael's knowledge (and Victor's too).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 11:46*am, Becca > wrote:
> Today was Elvis' 75th birthday, if he were still alive, and this recipe
> was in the Chicago Tribune. *I have not tried it, but I would love to. *
> Elvis was before my time, but when I was a kid, I sure did enjoy his
> movies.
>
> BTW, I want to compare this cake to koko's Bishop's Cake.
>
> Becca
>
> Elvis Presley Pound Cake
>
> 3 cups sugar * *
> 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened * *
> 7 eggs, at room temperature * *
> 3 cups cake flour, sifted twice * *
> 1 cup whipping cream * *
> 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
>
> Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the sugar and butter in bowl of electric
> mixer; beat on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1
> at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the
> flour; add whipping cream. Beat in remaining flour and vanilla.
>
> Pour batter into two buttered and floured 8½-x-4½-inch loaf pans. Bake
> until golden and a tester inserted in the center of cakes comes out
> clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool
> completely on wire racks. Makes 2 cakes, about 20 servings.
>
> *PER SERVING: Calories* 317 (43% fat) *Fat* 15 g (9 g sat) *
> Cholesterol* 115 mg* Sodium* 120 mg *Carbohydrates* 42 g * Protein*
>
> *This recipe for Elvis Presley Poundcake* is almost as legendary as the
> man it's named for.

The cake looks good, but of course it does because it's got Elvis in
it!
http://artists.letssingit.com/mojo-n...ywhere-6kc4m4l

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:32:26 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:46:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:

>>> Sure. So he doesn't know everything about America. Much like most
>>> Americans don't know everything about Austria. That's life.
>>>

>> So he's a know it all fathead, do we have to be too? I think not.
>>

>Oh, come on! I value Michael's knowledge (and Victor's too).

They are each snobs.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:32:26 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:46:52 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits

>>> So he's a know it all fathead, do we have to be too? I think not.
>>>

>> Oh, come on! I value Michael's knowledge (and Victor's too).

> They are each snobs.
>
> Boron

Does being knowledgeable make one a snob? For that matter, we
only see them, anyone, here, and form impressions, warranted or
not, on that basis.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you possesed the lowest IQ possible and weren't sired by such a
lazy ******* you'd have typed out Better Homes and Gardens... which in
most all other languages would translate to some other words. making
BH & G meaningless.... this is an international domain, IMBECILE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:23:02 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
> <snip>
>> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>> fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>>

> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
> in the running.

how can you say this? we had elvis!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:55:15 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>>
>> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
>> <snip>
>>> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>>> fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>>>

>> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
>> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
>> in the running.
>>
>> Go munch your Mac'n'Cheese,
>>
>> Michael Kuettner
>>

> BH&G is Better Homes and Gardens....

i thought it was 'Big Hair & Guns.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" schrieb :
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:23:02 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>
>> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
>> <snip>
>>> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>>> fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>>>

>> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
>> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
>> in the running.
>>

> how can you say this? we had elvis!

Yeah, and that led to Graceland ;-)
Anyway, the Stones are better.

Your pal,
Keith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:23:02 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>
>> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
>> <snip>
>>> You DON'T know what "BH & G" is??? I guess you aren't so worldly
>>> fancy-pants after all, now are you?
>>>

>> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
>> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
>> in the running.
>>

> how can you say this? we had elvis!

Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for world
pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture" is our
biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans, internet/computer
stuff and many other things. Even fast food - France is McDonald's biggest
market outside of the US, and it's not Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee
buying all those Le Big Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the
murky stuff of sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for
all the world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ******** places like
Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are many other examples.
Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will continue to be - THE most
culturally and intellectually dynamic place in the world, no other place
even comes *close*...and THAT is a FACT, son...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:43:44 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "blake murphy" schrieb :
>> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:23:02 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>>
>>> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
>>> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
>>> in the running.
>>>

>> how can you say this? we had elvis!
>>

> Yeah, and that led to Graceland ;-)
> Anyway, the Stones are better.
>
> Your pal,
> Keith

pish-tosh. muddy waters and howlin' wolf rip-offs. (this may be a
minority view, but i think waters is one of the finest slide guitarists
ever.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:13:34 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:23:02 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:
>>
>>> "Boron Elgar" schrieb :
>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>> The USA isn't the navel of the world, although that might come as
>>> a shock to you. And if one mentions culture, the USA isn't even
>>> in the running.
>>>

>> how can you say this? we had elvis!

> Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for world
> pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture" is our
> biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans, internet/computer
> stuff and many other things. Even fast food - France is McDonald's biggest
> market outside of the US, and it's not Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee
> buying all those Le Big Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the
> murky stuff of sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for
> all the world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
> part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ******** places like
> Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are many other examples.
> Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will continue to be - THE most
> culturally and intellectually dynamic place in the world, no other place
> even comes *close*...and THAT is a FACT, son...!!!

on the other hand, we also had pat boone and the carpenters.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>> Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for world
>> pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture" is our
>> biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans, internet/computer
>> stuff and many other things. Even fast food - France is McDonald's biggest
>> market outside of the US, and it's not Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee
>> buying all those Le Big Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the
>> murky stuff of sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for
>> all the world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
>> part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ******** places like
>> Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are many other examples.
>> Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will continue to be - THE most
>> culturally and intellectually dynamic place in the world, no other place
>> even comes *close*...and THAT is a FACT, son...!!!

> on the other hand, we also had pat boone and the carpenters.

Poor Greg is delusional. American pop music of the 50s sucked big time.
It was the British invasion that popularized the music that was shunned
in the US because is black music. Britain gave us the Beatles and the
American answer was The Monkees. How lame can you get? Cuba had a
pretty lively entertainment business before the US got its nose out of
joint when they traded in one corrupt dictator for Castro.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" schrieb :
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:43:44 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

<snip>
>> Yeah, and that led to Graceland ;-)
>> Anyway, the Stones are better.
>>
>> Your pal,
>> Keith

> pish-tosh. muddy waters and howlin' wolf rip-offs. (this may be a
> minority view, but i think waters is one of the finest slide guitarists
> ever.)

Waters ? He couldn't play a slide ruler, let alone a guitar.

Your pal,
Carlos

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:35:54 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "blake murphy" schrieb :
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:43:44 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> <snip>
>>> Yeah, and that led to Graceland ;-)
>>> Anyway, the Stones are better.
>>>
>>> Your pal,
>>> Keith

>> pish-tosh. muddy waters and howlin' wolf rip-offs. (this may be a
>> minority view, but i think waters is one of the finest slide guitarists
>> ever.)
>>

> Waters ? He couldn't play a slide ruler, let alone a guitar.
>
> Your pal,
> Carlos

of course you realize this means war.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:51:03 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for world
>>> pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture" is our
>>> biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans, internet/computer
>>> stuff and many other things. Even fast food - France is McDonald's biggest
>>> market outside of the US, and it's not Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee
>>> buying all those Le Big Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the
>>> murky stuff of sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for
>>> all the world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
>>> part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ******** places like
>>> Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are many other examples.
>>> Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will continue to be - THE most
>>> culturally and intellectually dynamic place in the world, no other place
>>> even comes *close*...and THAT is a FACT, son...!!!

>> on the other hand, we also had pat boone and the carpenters.
>>

> Poor Greg is delusional. American pop music of the 50s sucked big time.
> It was the British invasion that popularized the music that was shunned
> in the US because is black music. Britain gave us the Beatles and the
> American answer was The Monkees. How lame can you get? Cuba had a
> pretty lively entertainment business before the US got its nose out of
> joint when they traded in one corrupt dictator for Castro.

i ain't knocking the ex-quarrymen - they put out some great singles.
anyone responsible for 'drive my car' and 'taxman' commands respect - but
the fact remains that jazz, blues, and later rock 'n' roll were american
inventions, and therefore USA Number One!!!!eleventy!!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 10:20*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
> > BH&G is Better Homes and Gardens....

> > --
> > Jean B.

> I like the BH&G magazine(s). *Although, I do believe it's a bit
> regional??? *I'm not sure however. *For instance, there are various
> ".... Living" magazines, whether they're "Southern ...., Midwestern
> ....." *or others in various USA regions. *Mostly fru-fru stuff, but
> there are some features to be gleaned ;>> *Somtimes there are even very
> good recipes! *YMMV of course!
>
> Sky, a magazine junkie
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

BH & G is not regional and it's more a "household" magazine than a
cooking magazine. I consider the "xxx Living" magazines travel and
food magazines - yes, very regional.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 3:52*am, Becca > wrote:
> Sky wrote:
> > I like the BH&G magazine(s). *Although, I do believe it's a bit
> > regional??? *I'm not sure however. *For instance, there are various
> > ".... Living" magazines, whether they're "Southern ...., Midwestern
> > ....." *or others in various USA regions. *Mostly fru-fru stuff, but
> > there are some features to be gleaned ;>> *Somtimes there are even very
> > good recipes! *YMMV of course!

> > Sky, a magazine junkie

> Sky, I agree, some of the regional magazines contain recipes worth
> trying. *I like Texas Monthly and Southern Living, but I would love to
> be exposed to some from other parts of the country.
>
> Texas Monthly (you have to click "Skip This Ad", sometimes)
> *http://www.texasmonthly.com/food
>
> Southern Livinghttp://www.southernliving.com/food/
>
> Becca

You can probably find "Midwest Living" at your magazine stand. I like
the "Living" magazines. And Sunset magazine.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 11:51*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>
> >> Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for world
> >> pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture" is our
> >> biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans, internet/computer
> >> stuff and many other things. *Even fast food - France is McDonald's biggest
> >> market outside of the US, and it's not Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee
> >> buying all those Le Big Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the
> >> murky stuff of sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for
> >> all the world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
> >> part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ******** places like
> >> Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are many other examples.
> >> Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will continue to be - THE most
> >> culturally and intellectually dynamic place in the world, no other place
> >> even comes *close*...and THAT is a FACT, son...!!!

> > on the other hand, we also had pat boone and the carpenters.

> Poor Greg is delusional. American pop music of the 50s sucked big time.
> It was the British invasion that popularized the music that was shunned
> in the US because is black music. Britain gave us the Beatles and the
> American answer was The Monkees. *How lame can you get? *Cuba had a
> pretty lively entertainment business *before the US got its nose out of
> joint when they traded in one corrupt dictator for Castro.- Hide quoted text -

American rock 'n roll of the 50s was the best, and there will never be
anything like it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:13:34 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> how can you say this? we had elvis!

>> Contrary to what Michael K. wrote, the USA sets the *standard* for
>> world pop/mass consumer culture - like it or not...in fact "culture"
>> is our biggest "export", e.g. movies, music, teevee, blue jeans,
>> internet/computer stuff and many other things. Even fast food -
>> France is McDonald's biggest market outside of the US, and it's not
>> Yanqui tourists on the Champs Elysee buying all those Le Big
>> Macs...political revolutions/change used to be the murky stuff of
>> sekret agents and microfilm and backstabbery, now it's for all the
>> world to see on Twitter (as in Iran). Rock music played an integral
>> part in doing in Soviet - style Kommunism...repressive ********
>> places like Cuba have *thriving* hip - hop music scenes, there are
>> many other examples. Laff all ya want, but the US is - and will
>> continue to be - THE most culturally and intellectually dynamic
>> place in the world, no other place even comes *close*...and THAT is
>> a FACT, son...!!!

> on the other hand, we also had pat boone and the carpenters.

It's ALL One Great Big Cultural Mish-Mosh...!!!

--
Best
Greg