Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern cocktails

On Jan 8, 2:47*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I am planning a southern style dinner of sorts for a few RFC denizens
> in northern California next Friday. *

I though the secret was out...the HOUSE WINE of the south is sweet
tea.

Why not a champagne punch or other punch. You can control the amount
of liquor content serving that. I don't think of Juleps as
"southern"...that is a Kentucky thang.

Southern Punch via Paula Deen

I would use Southern Comfort in this recipe but she recommends
whiskey.

Ingredients

* 1 large can frozen orange juice concentrate
* 1 can frozen banana daiquiri mix
* 3/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 1/2 liter ginger ale
* 1 5th bottle whiskey, or to taste
* Lemonade Ice Ring, recipe follows

Directions

In a large punch bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, banana
daiquiri mix and lemon juice. Stir to blend. Slowly add ginger ale.
Remove excess foam with a spoon and stir in Southern Comfort. Add
lemonade ice ring.

Lemonade Ice Ring:

2 lemons, sliced round

1 orange, sliced round

2 limes, sliced round

1 small jar maraschino cherries

1 quart lemonade

1 sprig mint, optional

In a round mold, place some sliced lemons, oranges and lime rings in
the bottom. Place cherries in the center of the orange rings. Slowly
add lemonade just to cover. Freeze. Remove mold from freezer and add
more fruit and mint leaves. Slowly fill with lemonade and freeze
again. Place frozen ice ring in punch.

Yield: 1 ice ring

Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus freezing time

Ease of preparation: easy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brawny wrote:

> I though the secret was out...the HOUSE WINE of the south is sweet tea.

Elsewhere I wrote that the more I think about the accompaniments
(bacon-pecan pralines and a takeoff on pimento cheese), the more I like the
idea of sweet tea, either with vodka, limoncello, or peach schnapps.

<snip>

> * 1 large can frozen orange juice concentrate
> * 1 can frozen banana daiquiri mix

I'm thinking Christine probably has more pride than that. (Of course,
between the sugar and the alcohol, it would knock *me* flat!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> Lemonade Ice Ring:
> 2 lemons, sliced round
> 1 orange, sliced round
> 2 limes, sliced round
> 1 small jar maraschino cherries
> 1 quart lemonade
> 1 sprig mint, optional
>
> In a round mold, place some sliced lemons, oranges and lime rings in the
> bottom. Place cherries in the center of the orange rings. Slowly add
> lemonade just to cover. Freeze. Remove mold from freezer and add more
> fruit and mint leaves. Slowly fill with lemonade and freeze again. Place
> frozen ice ring in punch.

Shouldn't you put the cherries in FIRST, and the citrus on top of them, so
that when you unmold the ring the cherries will be visible? (For the second
layer, you'd want to reverse it, putting the citrus in first and the
cherries on top, so that you could see the cherries after taking the ring
out of the mold.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 8, 6:53*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> Shouldn't you put the cherries in FIRST, and the citrus on top of them, so
> that when you unmold the ring the cherries will be visible? (For the second
> layer, you'd want to reverse it, putting the citrus in first and the
> cherries on top, so that you could see the cherries after taking the ring
> out of the mold.)

Yeah, 'cuz the last time you had any cherry on your "ring" was when
you were a wee slip of a lad, you old fag. Now you just have the
mold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PVC wrote:

> Yeah, 'cuz the last time you had any cherry on your "ring" was when you
> were a wee slip of a lad, you old fag. Now you just have the mold.

Channeling Sheldon now, sweetie?

*smooch*

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 2:13*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> PVC wrote:
> > Yeah, 'cuz the last time you had any cherry on your "ring" was when you
> > were a wee slip of a lad, you old fag. *Now you just have the mold.

> Channeling Sheldon now, sweetie?
>
> *smooch*

Nope, just calling it as it is.

*blecch*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PVC wrote:

>>> Yeah, 'cuz the last time you had any cherry on your "ring" was when you
>>> were a wee slip of a lad, you old fag. Now you just have the mold.

>> Channeling Sheldon now, sweetie?
>>
>> *smooch*

> Nope, just calling it as it is.
>
> *blecch*

Well, here's hoping you get over your period quickly.

Bob