Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern cocktails

Christine wrote:

> I am planning a southern style dinner of sorts for a few RFC denizens
> in northern California next Friday. They know who they are..so I
> won't mention names here right now...
>
> I am serving a few southern appetizers...sort of amuses, as such, and
> I keep on thinking that a Southern cocktail would be good along side
> them. Not a huge cocktail, but in a shot glass proportion... Just a
> taste, just to compliment. Not to get anyone drunk...
>
> I am going through the books I brought with me..and I am coming up
> short. An old ex rfc'er that I am in contact with gave me some
> ideas..but I am still looking...
>
> I want something that reflects the spirit(s) of the South. Something
> that will rev up appetites...but won't be so spirited as to kill them.
> I am looking to pair these with Pecan-bacon pralines, and an appetizer
> that is a riff on pimento cheese. These will all be very small
> portions... I want them to compliment these appetizers...and reflect
> the southern heritage.
>
> Any of you Southerners out there got ideas? Or any non-southerners
> with good ideas will be welcome too.

My personal favorite is a brandy milk punch, but it probably wouldn't work
in the context you gave. Other recommendations are (in no particular order):

Ramos gin fizz
Alabama slammer
Sazerac
Lynchburg Lemonade
Deep South (of course!)
Mississippi punch
Sweet tea with vodka
Bourbon black hawk

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Sweet tea with vodka

How's that work? Seems like an odd combo to me, and I have
liberal tastes in beverages....

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 03:21:33 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Ramos gin fizz
>Alabama slammer
>Sazerac
>Lynchburg Lemonade
>Deep South (of course!)
>Mississippi punch
>Sweet tea with vodka
>Bourbon black hawk

Jaysus Mary and Joseph, Bob, Lynchburg Lemonade is about the most
dangerous cocktail on the planet. It is sooo tasty and sooo smooth and
sooo "innocent" tasting, and the next thing you know, you're doing a
face plant in the wisteria bushes.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

---

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> Sweet tea with vodka

> How's that work? Seems like an odd combo to me, and I have
> liberal tastes in beverages....

Works fine for me. Poking around yesterday I saw that there's actually a
sweet-tea-flavored vodka on the market, but that would be too much for me;
I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. (And if I will be driving later,
my consumption is *extremely* attenuated, probably less than two ounces for
an entire evening.)

Bob