Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you make YOUR black eyed peas?

Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!

I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.

Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.

How do you do yours?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2009 8:59 PM, Kris wrote:
> Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!
>
> I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.
>
> Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.
>
> How do you do yours?
>
> Kris

I usually use canned. I mostly only eat them on New Years Day to
remember my Great Aunt Mary, who was very superstitious. Last year I
sauteed some onions, bell pepper, celery, and cayenne pepper first, then
added the canned peas. Then ate it over brown rice with a little
garlic. It was good enough I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow --
except I'll use morita peppers (a type of chipotle but not quite as
smokey) instead of cayenne.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 10:42*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> On 12/31/2009 8:59 PM, Kris wrote:
>
> > Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!

> > I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> > think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.

> > Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> > what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> > onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.

> > How do you do yours?

> > Kris

> I usually use canned. *I mostly only eat them on New Years Day to
> remember my Great Aunt Mary, who was very superstitious. *Last year I
> sauteed some onions, bell pepper, celery, and cayenne pepper first, then
> added the canned peas. *Then ate it over brown rice with a little
> garlic. *It was good enough I'm gonna do the same thing tomorrow --
> except I'll use morita peppers (a type of chipotle but not quite as
> smokey) instead of cayenne.
>
> Bob

Maybe I'll try that, as I think I have all of those things on hand.
Thanks!

And Good Luck in the new year, as the BEP will bring.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!
>
> I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.
>
> Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.

There's no substituting the bacon in hoppin' john.

> How do you do yours?

With bacon and onion. Over rice. Collards and hot sweet corn muffins on the
side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2009, 9:59*pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!
>
> I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.
>
> Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.
>
> How do you do yours?

As Texas Caviar. I have no superstitions regarding the consumption
of BEPs on New Year's. We had homemade pizza on New Years,
and exercised our new baking stone.

I generally buy frozen ones, and cook them until they are just done.
Mushy legumes are anathema to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2009, 6:59*pm, Kris > wrote:
> Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!
>
> I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.
>
> Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.
>
> How do you do yours?

Cooked up some bacon, crumbled up the pieces, poured a package of
frozen BEP over top, sprinkled the top with some onion powder as they
sautéed, and served 'em with spears of hot cornbread. This was our NYE
tradition growing up and I'm handing it off to my daughter-units.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.

Bleche.

I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand! Black
eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 9:35*am, The Ranger > wrote:
> On Dec 31 2009, 6:59*pm, Kris > wrote:
>
> > Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!

> > I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> > think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.

> > Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> > what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> > onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.

> > How do you do yours?

> Cooked up some bacon, crumbled up the pieces, poured a package of
> frozen BEP over top, sprinkled the top with some onion powder as they
> sautéed, and served 'em with spears of hot cornbread. This was our NYE
> tradition growing up and I'm handing it off to my daughter-units.
>
> The Ranger

THAT sounds good! Do you use much of the rendered fat in sauteeing
them?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:04:46 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
>texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
>
>Bleche.
>
>I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand! Black
>eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

I'm with you on garbanzo beans (unless it's Hummus), but I've always
liked black-eyed peas.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:04:46 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> >texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
> >
> >Bleche.
> >
> >I'm glad I'm an adult and am not forced to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> >eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> I'm with you on garbanzo beans (unless it's Hummus), but I've always
> liked black-eyed peas.

I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
flavor worth mentioning.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 1:24*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:04:46 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> > >texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.

> > >Bleche.

> > >I'm glad I'm an adult and am not forced to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> > >eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> > I'm with you on garbanzo beans (unless it's Hummus), but I've always
> > liked black-eyed peas.

> I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
> flavor worth mentioning.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." *
> --Steve Rothstein
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> Subscribe:

To each his own, I guess. Mine have always turned out fairly creamy (I
buy the fresh ones, not dried or canned), The bacon flavoring
helps.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
>
> Bleche.
>
> I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

They taste "earthy" ;-) (taste like dirt)

I really liked the canned ones I seasoned with some onions, celery,
and dried chipotles. They were good even without any bacon. I used
one too many chipotles tho' and got them too hot.

When they were gone, I made a batch of pinto bean soup seasoned the
same way -- and I also got it a little too hot. That's what I'm
having for lunch today.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
>> texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
>>
>> Bleche.
>>
>> I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand!
>> Black eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> They taste "earthy" ;-) (taste like dirt)
>
> I really liked the canned ones I seasoned with some onions, celery, and
> dried chipotles. They were good even without any bacon. I used one too
> many chipotles tho' and got them too hot.
>
> When they were gone, I made a batch of pinto bean soup seasoned the same
> way -- and I also got it a little too hot. That's what I'm having for
> lunch today.
>
> Bob

For me it is the texture. I can't get past it. I have never had any
type other than dried - cooked in pasta fagioli until mushy and
grainy and yucky. ;-)

I do like lots of other beans.

Maybe some day I will try them again. It has been over 20 years
since I last ate them.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> They taste "earthy" ;-) (taste like dirt)

Not to me, they don't. They taste fresh and clean.

> I really liked the canned ones I seasoned with some onions, celery, and
> dried chipotles. They were good even without any bacon. I used one too
> many chipotles tho' and got them too hot.
>
> When they were gone, I made a batch of pinto bean soup seasoned the same
> way -- and I also got it a little too hot. That's what I'm having for
> lunch today.

I love black eyed peas. You're right about the canned ones, too. Like most
beans, the seasoning is crucial. Blackeyed peas were made for bacon and
onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> > texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
> >
> > Bleche.
> >
> > I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> > eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> They taste "earthy" ;-) (taste like dirt)

Kinda like beets. <g>

> I really liked the canned ones I seasoned with some onions, celery,
> and dried chipotles. They were good even without any bacon. I used
> one too many chipotles tho' and got them too hot.
>
> When they were gone, I made a batch of pinto bean soup seasoned the
> same way -- and I also got it a little too hot. That's what I'm
> having for lunch today.
>
> Bob

I'll stick with canned Navy Beans, thanks!
Black beans are good too.

Canned pintos, only when I want them...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
>
> Bleche.
>
> I'm glad I'm an adult and am not force to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

Heathen!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> > texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
> >
> > Bleche.
> >
> > I'm glad I'm an adult and am not forced to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> > eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> Heathen!

Thanks! <bows>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
> > flavor worth mentioning.

> Black eyed peas have always tasted like dirt to me. I keep trying to
> like them, though.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I understand. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Dec 31 2009, 6:59 pm, > wrote:
>
>> Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!
>>
>> I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
>> think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.
>>
>> Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
>> what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
>> onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.
>>
>> How do you do yours?
>>

> Cooked up some bacon, crumbled up the pieces, poured a package of
> frozen BEP over top, sprinkled the top with some onion powder as they
> sautéed, and served 'em with spears of hot cornbread. This was our NYE
> tradition growing up and I'm handing it off to my daughter-units.
>
> The Ranger

What's a daughter-unit? Do you make robots?

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2010 7:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
> What's a daughter-unit? Do you make robots?
>
> Bruce

It's a literary reference; you probably won't understand. (Connie
Conehead) HTH :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> On 1/4/2010 7:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> What's a daughter-unit? Do you make robots?
>>
>> Bruce

> It's a literary reference; you probably won't understand. (Connie
> Conehead) HTH :-)

LITERARY? Right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> On 1/4/2010 7:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> What's a daughter-unit? Do you make robots?
>>>
>>> Bruce

>> It's a literary reference; you probably won't understand. (Connie
>> Conehead) HTH :-)
>>

> LITERARY? Right.

(I didn't say it was great literature)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 10:11*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Jan 4, 9:35*am, The Ranger > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 31 2009, 6:59*pm, Kris > wrote:

> > > Hello all and Happy New Year's Eve!

> > > I know we had a thread about lentils a couple of months back. Made me
> > > think of making Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Day.

> > > Stupidly used the rest of my bacon the other day, which is usually
> > > what I cook with my BEP. Maybe I'll be doing a simple simmer with
> > > onion, etc instead? I'm thinking of serving them over rice, perhaps.

> > > How do you do yours?

> > Cooked up some bacon, crumbled up the pieces, poured a package of
> > frozen BEP over top, sprinkled the top with some onion powder as they
> > sautéed, and served 'em with spears of hot cornbread. This was our NYE
> > tradition growing up and I'm handing it off to my daughter-units.

> THAT sounds good! Do you use much of the rendered fat in sauteeing
> them?

About two TBS, give or take a tsp. It wasn't a lot this time; the
bacon didn't have much fat on it.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> It's a literary reference; you probably won't understand. (Connie
>>> Conehead) HTH :-)
>>>

>> LITERARY? Right.

> (I didn't say it was great literature)

It was television, FFS. There was no Conehead book. Not even a comic book.
No SCREENPLAY even. For SNL, anyway. For that stupid movie, maybe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
> flavor worth mentioning.

We had blackeyed peas New Year's Day, they were tender and creamy.
Sorry your experience was so bad. I am wondering if they were not
cooked all the way.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> cybercat wrote:

>>> It's a literary reference; you probably won't understand. (Connie
>>> Conehead) HTH :-)
>>>

>> LITERARY? Right.
>>

> (I didn't say it was great literature)

Heehee...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 1:59*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > cybercat wrote:

> >> LITERARY? *Right.

> > (I didn't say it was great literature)

> It was television, FFS. There was no Conehead book. Not even a comic book..
> No SCREENPLAY even. For SNL, anyway. For that stupid movie, maybe.

If you weren't so ****ing old, I'd suggest a Midol for your grouchy
ass. Oh well......maybe a nice slap upside yer head with a shovel
would suffice :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Becca >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
> > flavor worth mentioning.
> >

> We had blackeyed peas New Year's Day, they were tender and creamy.
> Sorry your experience was so bad. I am wondering if they were not
> cooked all the way.
>

> Becca

All it takes is a bad introduction to ruin a food for someone for life.
<g>

Okay, I'm going to have to give them another try, and this time cook
them myself like I normally cook ordinary beans...

I've yet to ever ruin any other variety.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:04:46 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I don't make black eyed peas. Nasty little bits of gross disgusting
> > >texture. Worse than garbanzo beans.
> > >
> > >Bleche.
> > >
> > >I'm glad I'm an adult and am not forced to eat crap I can't stand! Black
> > >eyed peas are on my list of non-foods.

> > I'm with you on garbanzo beans (unless it's Hummus), but I've always
> > liked black-eyed peas.

> I guess I've just never had good ones. Rock hard and gritty. And no
> flavor worth mentioning.

They don't need a "pre-soak" the way other beans do. Be sure to have a
flavorful ham hock in the pan with them (and bacon is a poor substitute,
IMO). Towards the end, remove the hock, let it cool until you can strip
the meat off and shred it, and return that to that pan.

Make a batch of *Southern* cornbread (i.e. no sugar, cinnamon, or other
wonky seasonings). Take a goodly piece of the cornbread (still hot from
the oven), slice it through the middle, and open it up on a plate. Spoon
a decent pile of the peas over the cornbread, being sure to include
enough of the cooking liquid to moisten things up right nice.

Chow down.

And just in case you don't have one, here's a tried and true cornbread
recipe:

Cornbread
-------

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cornmeal, white or yellow
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp. bacon grease

Directions:

In hot oven (400 F), heat pan (a cast-iron skillet if at all possible)
with 2 T bacon fat until almost smoking.

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, just before pouring into hot skillet.
Batter will be thin. Bake until brown. When the bread pulls away from
the sides of the pan, it's probably ready. Test it with a toothpick.

Isaac