Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lot's of Lemons

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 02:18:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>So far my lemon tree has yielded well over 70 lemons in the past two weeks
>and more yet to ripen.

70? I have *1* on mine and it's not even ripe.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:21:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>How old is your tree? Actually, ours is relatively small, about 5 ft.
>tall, and we've only had it for 3 years. However, when we went to the
>nursery to buy it, I specifically asked for a tree that would be an
>immediate producer with high volume. I do recall that when the nursery
>came out to plant it and a couple of other trees, they told us we had
>"ideal" soil for growth and good plant health throughout our yard.
>EVerything we've planted here has grown like crazy.

My soil isn't great, but my tree is about as old as yours. It was
small to start with and it's a Meyer to boot. It was battling the
cold and slugs for a couple of years until we got a gardener again.
Hubby thought he was going to do yard work. HA! Never happened. He
cut the grass occasionally, that was it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 21 Dec 2009 06:28:15p, sf told us...
>
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:21:38 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> How old is your tree? Actually, ours is relatively small, about 5 ft.
>>> tall, and we've only had it for 3 years. However, when we went to the
>>> nursery to buy it, I specifically asked for a tree that would be an
>>> immediate producer with high volume. I do recall that when the nursery
>>> came out to plant it and a couple of other trees, they told us we had
>>> "ideal" soil for growth and good plant health throughout our yard.
>>> EVerything we've planted here has grown like crazy.

>> My soil isn't great, but my tree is about as old as yours. It was
>> small to start with and it's a Meyer to boot. It was battling the
>> cold and slugs for a couple of years until we got a gardener again.
>> Hubby thought he was going to do yard work. HA! Never happened. He
>> cut the grass occasionally, that was it.
>>

> Poor soil, cold, and slugs will definitely retard the development. Here in
> the desert, as long as most plants (especially citrus) really grow well as
> long as they're irrigated sufficiently.

We have one Meyer lemon plant. This was it's second year and we got
about a dozen lemons from it. We have it in a large pot that I can move
into the garage because we do get a few frosts every year... and
occasionally temps dip into the mid to upper 20's.

I've never lived anyplace where I could grow lemons before so this is
pretty cool for me. What was NOT cool was seeing frost on my palm trees
last week!

George L

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Lot's of Lemons Arri London General Cooking 0 25-12-2009 01:52 AM
Lot's of Lemons Nancy2 General Cooking 0 22-12-2009 10:13 PM
Lot's of Lemons Dimitri General Cooking 0 22-12-2009 02:42 AM
Lot's of Lemons Terry[_3_] General Cooking 0 21-12-2009 01:50 PM
Lemons Martin[_6_] Historic 20 15-08-2008 11:39 PM