Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I just made a ganache

2.5 lbs of dark chocolate and 1.3 cups of cream

Mmmmmmmmmm!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> 2.5 lbs of dark chocolate and 1.3 cups of cream
>
> Mmmmmmmmmm!
>
> John Kuthe...

Well, that's better, but I still think you should use MORE CREAM!! <G>

For 2.5 lbs, I would use 15 ounces, or 1 cup 7 ounces. Call it 2 cups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> 2.5 lbs of dark chocolate and 1.3 cups of cream
>>
>> Mmmmmmmmmm!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Well, that's better, but I still think you should use MORE CREAM!! <G>
>
> For 2.5 lbs, I would use 15 ounces, or 1 cup 7 ounces. Call it 2 cups.

Sorry, my math was off. 1 cup 6 ounces. You could still call it 2 cups,
especially if you aren't adding butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 8:19*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> Janet wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> >> 2.5 lbs of dark chocolate and 1.3 cups of cream

> >> Mmmmmmmmmm!

> >> John Kuthe...

> > Well, that's better, but I still think you should use MORE CREAM!! <G>

> > For 2.5 lbs, I would use 15 ounces, or 1 cup 7 ounces. Call it 2 cups.

> Sorry, my math was off. 1 cup 6 ounces. You could still call it 2 cups,
> especially if you aren't adding butter.

I have used too much cream in the past. Makes 'em too melty. I like a
truffle that will hold up a little, and make ya work for the
payoff! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:41:02 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 8:19*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> Janet wrote:

>> > Well, that's better, but I still think you should use MORE CREAM!! <G>

>> > For 2.5 lbs, I would use 15 ounces, or 1 cup 7 ounces. Call it 2 cups.

>> Sorry, my math was off. 1 cup 6 ounces. You could still call it 2 cups,
>> especially if you aren't adding butter.

>I have used too much cream in the past. Makes 'em too melty. I like a
>truffle that will hold up a little, and make ya work for the
>payoff! ;-)

I prefer it less mushy too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:41:02 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:

>>> Sorry, my math was off. 1 cup 6 ounces. You could still call it 2
>>> cups, especially if you aren't adding butter.

>> I have used too much cream in the past. Makes 'em too melty. I like a
>> truffle that will hold up a little, and make ya work for the
>> payoff! ;-)
>>

> I prefer it less mushy too.

Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will not be
runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 7:45*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:41:02 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> >> I have used too much cream in the past. Makes 'em too melty. I like a
> >> truffle that will hold up a little, and make ya work for the
> >> payoff! ;-)

> > I prefer it less mushy too.

> Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will not be
> runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

One thing I learned! Note to self:

When making a ganache for truffles. Mix, pour into plastic wrap lined
baling sheet, freeze to set and then let sit out at room temp
OVERNIGHT before rolling into balls!

I just dipped about 50, and they are much easier to handle this AM
than they were last night. Temp is consistent throughout, and they
handle like a dream! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 16, 7:45 am, "Janet" > wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:41:02 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> I prefer it less mushy too.

>> Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will
>> not be runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

> One thing I learned! Note to self:
>
> When making a ganache for truffles. Mix, pour into plastic wrap lined
> baling sheet, freeze to set and then let sit out at room temp
> OVERNIGHT before rolling into balls!
>
> I just dipped about 50, and they are much easier to handle this AM
> than they were last night. Temp is consistent throughout, and they
> handle like a dream! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

No need to put it in the freezer. When you see instructions that say to do
that, it is to hurry the process. (And sometimes because they are making a
very soft ganache.) Ganache should set up properly overnight at cool room
temperature and be ready to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 9:50*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will
> >> not be runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

> > One thing I learned! Note to self:

> > When making a ganache for truffles. Mix, pour into plastic wrap lined
> > baling sheet, freeze to set and then let sit out at room temp
> > OVERNIGHT before rolling into balls!

> > I just dipped about 50, and they are much easier to handle this AM
> > than they were last night. Temp is consistent throughout, and they
> > handle like a dream! :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> No need to put it in the freezer. When you see instructions that say to do
> that, it is to hurry the process. (And sometimes because they are making a
> very soft ganache.) Ganache should set up properly overnight at cool room
> temperature and be ready to go.

True enough.

I'm gonna write this down in my Big Book of Christmas Candy so I don't
forget next year.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 7:25*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 7:45*am, "Janet" > wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:
> > > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:41:02 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> > > I prefer it less mushy too.

> > Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will not be
> > runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

> One thing I learned! Note to self:
>
> When making a ganache for truffles. Mix, pour into plastic wrap lined
> baling sheet, freeze to set and then let sit out at room temp
> OVERNIGHT before rolling into balls!
>
> I just dipped about 50, and they are much easier to handle this AM
> than they were last night. Temp is consistent throughout, and they
> handle like a dream! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...- Hide quoted text -

I've always just put it in the refrigerator. I don't let it get back
to room temperature before I start rolling.

What's a baling sheet?

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 1:10*pm, sueb > wrote:
> On Dec 16, 7:25*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > Trust me, the 6 oz per pound of chocolate (plus some butter) will not be
> > > runny or mushy. It will be succulent.

> > One thing I learned! Note to self:

> > When making a ganache for truffles. Mix, pour into plastic wrap lined
> > baling sheet, freeze to set and then let sit out at room temp
> > OVERNIGHT before rolling into balls!

> > I just dipped about 50, and they are much easier to handle this AM
> > than they were last night. Temp is consistent throughout, and they
> > handle like a dream! :-)

> > John Kuthe...- Hide quoted text -

> I've always just put it in the refrigerator. *I don't let it get back
> to room temperature before I start rolling.
>
> What's a baling sheet?
>
> Susan B.

A typo. I meant "baking" sheet.

I have coconut and raspberry caramels to dip now. :-)

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

Just made another mint chocolate ganache John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 15 16-12-2015 08:00 PM
Just made 4lbs worth of Egg Nog Truffles ganache!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 4 15-12-2015 12:44 AM
chocolate ganache laineliz Baking 0 13-04-2009 02:29 PM
Ganache wackerdrive Baking 0 07-01-2009 02:18 PM
Ganache Denise Lane General Cooking 20 03-11-2004 09:54 AM