Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dutch oven - what's the purpose of this?

http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg

See the notches on each side where the handles are? These hold the lid down
so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's cooking.
Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure cooker? I'm
cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make some stock before
the chicken is unusable. Mom gave me this dutch oven out of her surplus of
cooking utensils.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg
>
> See the notches on each side where the handles are? These hold the lid
> down so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's
> cooking. Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure cooker?
> I'm cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make some stock
> before the chicken is unusable. Mom gave me this dutch oven out of her
> surplus of cooking utensils.

You didn't show the lid. . .it may be one of those lids with two vertical
channels on the inside lip of the lid. The idea is to fit the lid channels
down over the notches and then twist and that locks the lid in place. The
lid I'm thinking of is perforated so that the lid can act as a drain (over
the sink drain) for the pot contents
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:25:32 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg
>>
>> See the notches on each side where the handles are? These hold the lid
>> down so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's
>> cooking. Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure cooker?
>> I'm cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make some stock
>> before the chicken is unusable. Mom gave me this dutch oven out of her
>> surplus of cooking utensils.
>>

>You didn't show the lid. . .it may be one of those lids with two vertical
>channels on the inside lip of the lid. The idea is to fit the lid channels
>down over the notches and then twist and that locks the lid in place. The
>lid I'm thinking of is perforated so that the lid can act as a drain (over
>the sink drain) for the pot contents
>Janet

You're probably right. The pot looks pretty new to me, so the lid
problem has to be a new fangled invention.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 9:06*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg
>
> See the notches on each side where the handles are? *These hold the lid down
> so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's cooking..
> Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure cooker? *I'm
> cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make some stock before
> the chicken is unusable. *Mom gave me this dutch oven out of her surplus of
> cooking utensils.

Is there a pressure valve thing in the lid?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg
>>
>> See the notches on each side where the handles are? These hold the lid
>> down so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's
>> cooking. Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure cooker?
>> I'm cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make some stock
>> before the chicken is unusable. Mom gave me this dutch oven out of her
>> surplus of cooking utensils.
>>

> You didn't show the lid. . .it may be one of those lids with two vertical
> channels on the inside lip of the lid. The idea is to fit the lid
> channels down over the notches and then twist and that locks the lid in
> place. The lid I'm thinking of is perforated so that the lid can act as
> a drain (over the sink drain) for the pot contents

Thanks, Janet. The lid is perfectly flat on the bottom, no channels or
perforations of any kind. It's as if the notches on the pot are to hold the
lid on tight, but in my opinion, too tight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> http://i47.tinypic.com/12678k1.jpg
>>>
>>> See the notches on each side where the handles are? These hold the lid
>>> down so tight that it's hard to get it off when I want to check what's
>>> cooking. Is this to keep pressure inside, sort of like a pressure
>>> cooker? I'm cooking down some "old" chicken from the freezer to make
>>> some stock before the chicken is unusable. Mom gave me this dutch oven
>>> out of her surplus of cooking utensils.
>>>

>> You didn't show the lid. . .it may be one of those lids with two vertical
>> channels on the inside lip of the lid. The idea is to fit the lid
>> channels down over the notches and then twist and that locks the lid in
>> place. The lid I'm thinking of is perforated so that the lid can act as
>> a drain (over the sink drain) for the pot contents

> Thanks, Janet. The lid is perfectly flat on the bottom, no channels or
> perforations of any kind. It's as if the notches on the pot are to hold
> the lid on tight, but in my opinion, too tight.

Check with your mom. She may have given you the wrong lid -- just a
thought. But if she has extra pots, things may have gotten mixed around.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> Check with your mom. She may have given you the wrong lid -- just a
> thought. But if she has extra pots, things may have gotten mixed around.
> Janet

You know, that is very possible. I'll look at her lids when I'm there for
Christmas.

Getting to use my new Dutch oven Food Snob® General Cooking 0 13-06-2009 03:18 PM
Do I need a Dutch Oven? phaeton General Cooking 25 05-05-2009 11:24 AM
best all purpose oven Reggie Cooking Equipment 3 09-04-2009 09:00 PM
Dutch oven Islands General Cooking 18 27-03-2006 07:32 PM
Which size cast iron Dutch Oven? (for use in oven, not camping) Mike Cooking Equipment 7 15-02-2004 04:57 PM