Mike

Default Which size cast iron Dutch Oven? (for use in oven, not camping)

I am new to cast iron cooking. I have an old 10" family frying pan, a
old 10.25" 3qt fryer with lid, two new Lodge frying pans, one 10" chef
style skillet with sloped sides and a large 13.25" skillet. I also
have a large 9qt Dutch Oven which I plan to use mostly on an outdoor
gas burner for frying fish, making Gumbo and Jambalaya out side. This
Dutch oven is NOT the camp style with feet and a lipped lid for coals.
This 9qt Dutch Oven seems too large for general use in the kitchen
oven or on the stovetop. For inside use, would I be better off with a
5qt or 7qt Dutch Oven? What size do you pros use in the kitchen for
stews, roasts, baking, etc? Thanks...
Christine

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> I am new to cast iron cooking. I have an old 10" family frying pan, a
> old 10.25" 3qt fryer with lid, two new Lodge frying pans, one 10" chef
> style skillet with sloped sides and a large 13.25" skillet. I also
> have a large 9qt Dutch Oven which I plan to use mostly on an outdoor
> gas burner for frying fish, making Gumbo and Jambalaya out side. This
> Dutch oven is NOT the camp style with feet and a lipped lid for coals.
> This 9qt Dutch Oven seems too large for general use in the kitchen
> oven or on the stovetop. For inside use, would I be better off with a
> 5qt or 7qt Dutch Oven? What size do you pros use in the kitchen for
> stews, roasts, baking, etc? Thanks...

I'm a far cry from a pro, but I recently purchased the
All-Clad 5-1/2 quart Dutch oven which you use on the stove top or oven. I'm
pleased with the size. I also have an 8 qt. but for most part I think I
will be using the 5-l//2 qt. size more.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Karen Wheless

> I have a 4-1/2 qt Reverware Dutch oven, which is big enough for most things.
> I have a 5-qt New Visions Dutch oven, which I hate because things burn too
> easily in it if I'm not paying attention. It is used for noodles
> regardless, since it is big. Sometimes, it would be nice to have one that
> is 5-1/2 qts to 6 qts for soup, because sometimes the other pans just aren't
> big enough. Then I could get rid of the glass 5-qt Dutch oven that I don't
> like. We have a new kitchen remodeling place, which sells some upscale
> cooking stuff like All-Clad pans and Wusthoff knives. I should have really
> go there and take a peek at what they have. I guess Le Creuset would be
> nice, but the price always scares me away.

If you live anywhere near a Le Creuset outlet, you might try to find one
during their twice-a-year sale. I bought my Le Creuset dutch oven
(which I love) for an amazing price, about 3 years ago. I was at the
outlet on the first day of the sale, before the store even opened. I
was the first one in the door, and I found this wonderful Dutch oven - I
think it was a discontinued color. I only paid about $65 for the 7
quart size - which is still a lot of money but not that bad for a large
dutch oven like that - that's less than half the normal price today.
The sales are in July and December.

The 7 quart is a great size - anything bigger would just be too big for
my stove. A smaller pan just wouldn't give me enough space for a big
batch of stew or spaghetti sauce. I have the round one.

Karen

DawnK

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
om...
> > I have a 4-1/2 qt Reverware Dutch oven, which is big enough for most

things.
> > I have a 5-qt New Visions Dutch oven, which I hate because things burn

too
> > easily in it if I'm not paying attention. It is used for noodles
> > regardless, since it is big. Sometimes, it would be nice to have one

that
> > is 5-1/2 qts to 6 qts for soup, because sometimes the other pans just

aren't
> > big enough. Then I could get rid of the glass 5-qt Dutch oven that I

don't
> > like. We have a new kitchen remodeling place, which sells some upscale
> > cooking stuff like All-Clad pans and Wusthoff knives. I should have

really
> > go there and take a peek at what they have. I guess Le Creuset would be
> > nice, but the price always scares me away.

> If you live anywhere near a Le Creuset outlet, you might try to find one
> during their twice-a-year sale. I bought my Le Creuset dutch oven
> (which I love) for an amazing price, about 3 years ago. I was at the
> outlet on the first day of the sale, before the store even opened. I
> was the first one in the door, and I found this wonderful Dutch oven - I
> think it was a discontinued color. I only paid about $65 for the 7
> quart size - which is still a lot of money but not that bad for a large
> dutch oven like that - that's less than half the normal price today.
> The sales are in July and December.
>
> The 7 quart is a great size - anything bigger would just be too big for
> my stove. A smaller pan just wouldn't give me enough space for a big
> batch of stew or spaghetti sauce. I have the round one.
>
> Karen

I'll have to look into that. We have an outlet mall a little over an hour
away.

Dawn

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:22:24 -0600, "DawnK" >
wrote:

> I guess Le Creuset would be
>nice, but the price always scares me away.

Yes, Le Creuset is expensive, but look he
http://caplanduval.com/lec1.html

I've found the best prices here, and Le Creuset cooks and cleans up so
nicely, I think it's worth it. Plus, you can put it in the
dishwasher!
David Lawson

In article >,
"Christine" > wrote:

> "Mike" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I am new to cast iron cooking. I have an old 10" family frying pan, a
> > old 10.25" 3qt fryer with lid, two new Lodge frying pans, one 10" chef
> > style skillet with sloped sides and a large 13.25" skillet. I also
> > have a large 9qt Dutch Oven which I plan to use mostly on an outdoor
> > gas burner for frying fish, making Gumbo and Jambalaya out side. This
> > Dutch oven is NOT the camp style with feet and a lipped lid for coals.
> > This 9qt Dutch Oven seems too large for general use in the kitchen
> > oven or on the stovetop. For inside use, would I be better off with a
> > 5qt or 7qt Dutch Oven? What size do you pros use in the kitchen for
> > stews, roasts, baking, etc? Thanks...

> I'm a far cry from a pro, but I recently purchased the
> All-Clad 5-1/2 quart Dutch oven which you use on the stove top or oven. I'm
> pleased with the size. I also have an 8 qt. but for most part I think I
> will be using the 5-l//2 qt. size more.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I bought a Lodge Logic 5 qt. Dutch oven, which is a good size for just
the two of us. I haven't found anything to complain about, it cleans up
easily, is easy to freshen the seasoning, and needless to say, cooks
wonderfully. I love it.
Dave Lawson