Mama2EandJ

Default How to Become a Christian, Version 1.01

>Why would a God which is tantamount to love, extreme humbleness,
>patience, forgiveness, free giving, decides to torment our already
>feeble minds with a thing called Satan? Eternal suffering? If you
>believe in a God like that, you should be friggin afraid of It. That to
>me is a Satan * 10th to the google.
>
>I think the new testament, after passing through so many rulers (Roman
>Empire,) et cetera, and after being translated so many times, has lost
>its true meaning. Top that off with the fact that there is a lot of
>symbolism in the teachings of the Christ which are poorly understood.
>
>His humbleness speaks for itself. Born of a dirt poor Palestinian Jewish
>family in an animal inn, raised in a simple way, washing his disciple's
>feet to set an example (a practice forbidden by Romans to slave owners
>in those days,) and crucified like a crook. Add to that the fact that he
>hung around with tax collectors, whores, and people in great social need.
>
>His words have very little meaning in our current society, but have a
>colossal meaning for those that appreciate it.
>
>Rich

Amen to all that you said, Rich. A breath of fresh air.

Mama2EandJ

>Why would a God which is tantamount to love, extreme humbleness,
>patience, forgiveness, free giving, decides to torment our already
>feeble minds with a thing called Satan? Eternal suffering? If you
>believe in a God like that, you should be friggin afraid of It. That to
>me is a Satan * 10th to the google.
>
>I think the new testament, after passing through so many rulers (Roman
>Empire,) et cetera, and after being translated so many times, has lost
>its true meaning. Top that off with the fact that there is a lot of
>symbolism in the teachings of the Christ which are poorly understood.
>
>His humbleness speaks for itself. Born of a dirt poor Palestinian Jewish
>family in an animal inn, raised in a simple way, washing his disciple's
>feet to set an example (a practice forbidden by Romans to slave owners
>in those days,) and crucified like a crook. Add to that the fact that he
>hung around with tax collectors, whores, and people in great social need.
>
>His words have very little meaning in our current society, but have a
>colossal meaning for those that appreciate it.
>
>Rich

Amen to all that you said, Rich. A breath of fresh air.

ms. tonya

I've been wondering how long till this group was hit with that Dr.
Chung's spam.
Seen him in every medical NG I've went into.
Nothing but flame wars over him, people can't even ask urgent medical
questions because of all this.

Richard Periut

Mama2EandJ wrote:

>>Why would a God which is tantamount to love, extreme humbleness,
>>patience, forgiveness, free giving, decides to torment our already
>>feeble minds with a thing called Satan? Eternal suffering? If you
>>believe in a God like that, you should be friggin afraid of It. That to
>>me is a Satan * 10th to the google.
>>
>>I think the new testament, after passing through so many rulers (Roman
>>Empire,) et cetera, and after being translated so many times, has lost
>>its true meaning. Top that off with the fact that there is a lot of
>>symbolism in the teachings of the Christ which are poorly understood.
>>
>>His humbleness speaks for itself. Born of a dirt poor Palestinian Jewish
>>family in an animal inn, raised in a simple way, washing his disciple's
>>feet to set an example (a practice forbidden by Romans to slave owners
>>in those days,) and crucified like a crook. Add to that the fact that he
>>hung around with tax collectors, whores, and people in great social need.
>>
>>His words have very little meaning in our current society, but have a
>>colossal meaning for those that appreciate it.
>>
>>Rich
>>

> Amen to all that you said, Rich. A breath of fresh air.

I answered his post, but in alt.diabetes, which is where I guess this
thread originated. I din't feel it was appropriate for here.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Mama2EandJ wrote:

>>Why would a God which is tantamount to love, extreme humbleness,
>>patience, forgiveness, free giving, decides to torment our already
>>feeble minds with a thing called Satan? Eternal suffering? If you
>>believe in a God like that, you should be friggin afraid of It. That to
>>me is a Satan * 10th to the google.
>>
>>I think the new testament, after passing through so many rulers (Roman
>>Empire,) et cetera, and after being translated so many times, has lost
>>its true meaning. Top that off with the fact that there is a lot of
>>symbolism in the teachings of the Christ which are poorly understood.
>>
>>His humbleness speaks for itself. Born of a dirt poor Palestinian Jewish
>>family in an animal inn, raised in a simple way, washing his disciple's
>>feet to set an example (a practice forbidden by Romans to slave owners
>>in those days,) and crucified like a crook. Add to that the fact that he
>>hung around with tax collectors, whores, and people in great social need.
>>
>>His words have very little meaning in our current society, but have a
>>colossal meaning for those that appreciate it.
>>
>>Rich
>>

> Amen to all that you said, Rich. A breath of fresh air.

I answered his post, but in alt.diabetes, which is where I guess this
thread originated. I din't feel it was appropriate for here.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

blake murphy

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:35:18 -0500, MU > wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 01:59:19 -0500, Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Any questions?

>Only one.
>
>Have you sought psychiatric help to try to come to grips with why you have
>wasted thousands of hours, away from family, baking cookies and the real
>world, to TROLL Usenet?

who the **** else you gonna troll?

your pal,
blake
blake murphy

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:35:18 -0500, MU > wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 01:59:19 -0500, Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Any questions?

>Only one.
>
>Have you sought psychiatric help to try to come to grips with why you have
>wasted thousands of hours, away from family, baking cookies and the real
>world, to TROLL Usenet?

who the **** else you gonna troll?

your pal,
blake

Mikebulka

>"It does not take much to discern the truth if you >have this spiritual
>gift from God."

I'm new to the conversation, and hope to be only an infrequent vistor, but . .
..

It does not take much to believe in what you think is in The Book if you give
up your "god"-given reason to deal in superstition, or to use the bible as a
cover for racist, classist, sexist prejudices.

If you hate the fags and ******s and jews just say so and present a rational
arguement.

Deux ex machina is a pathetic save in theatre. "God said it; I believe it;
that settles it." is a great bumper sticker, but not a good use of the brain
that your "god" has given us.

Sleepyman

ASD is not the source of any of this bullshit X posting, so stop
sending it here.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:40:43 -0600, "Geno" >
wrote:

>>>"Carol T" > wrote in message
e.com...
> [...]
m>...

Sleepy

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays
off now.
Sleepyman

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:56:42 GMT, "Bob Myers"
> wrote:

>>>Assuming you mean rec.food,cooking, and not rec.fundy.christian,
>>>may we at least ask why you've chosen a cooking group for such
>>>a blatantly off-topic subject? I can't imagine what you could
>>>possibly hope to achieve by singling out THIS group for your
>>>inappropriate discussion.
>>>
>>>Bob M.

What I am wondering is why you X posted it here, to ASD, who never had
anything to do with this bullshit. A little more consistency please

Sleepy

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays
off now.
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Sleepyman wrote:

> What I am wondering is why you X posted it here, to ASD, who never had
> anything to do with this bullshit. A little more consistency please
>
> Sleepy

Untrue.

See:

http://makeshorterling.com/?A38621439

It is written in Ephesians 2:

10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good
works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

All is a waste of time until you find the way to eternal life with the
Creator of the universe. When you do, there is no waste of time because
there will be an infinite amount of it. Walking about aimlessly
thinking it is *your* time, *your* money, *your* lot, *your* labor,
*your* profit, and *your* power that you are using is tantamount to
self-worship.

For Christ lights up the way through John 14:

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes
to the Father except through me..."

This bring us back again to the following very simple decision tree for
the untruthful folks such as yourself, neighbor, who have chosen to walk
in the "dark":

(1) Accept Christ.
Risk: Nothing.

Benefits: Salvation, purposeful life, eternal life, unimaginable riches
in God's eternal kingdom.

(2) Reject Christ.
Risk: Eternal separation from God. Eternal torment of your soul by
satan.

Benefits: Nothing.

Again, one has to conclude that those (ie you, Carey, Steve, Bob, Zee,
Frank, Hawki, Rolando, Don et al) who would reject Christ have not
thought out their decision *logically*.

Would suggest you cast a glance at Bob Pastorio as a special example of
untruthfully eloquent self-worship (BTW, Bob remains in my prayers out
of Christian love) who is being driven to madness by my ignoring him
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?V29A236C9 and more recently
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K50B237D9). All this power belongs to God
who has judged Bob Pastorio with His Word
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?G33F51E69). All praises to Him, Whom I
love with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength :-)

You will be in my prayers, dear neighbor whom I love, in Christ's holy
name.

May you accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, someday, so that
you too will escape satan's rule and torment of your soul after you die.

Please do consider the OP as your logic should dictate before it is too
late:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

(Please note that God truly made this special link describing that He is
the great "I am" and that His message is as simple as the number 2 which
is a number between 1 to 9 and reminds us of His 2 commandments, the 2
arms of the cross, the 2nd part of the Trinity, the 2 finger sign of the
Prince of Peace [who remains *V*ictorious over death and satan], and the
2PD Approach. Let it not ever be written that Christ did not make His
presence known here on Usenet :-)

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Sleepyman wrote:

> [...]

You will be in my prayers, dear neighbor whom I love, in Christ's holy
name.

May you accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, someday, so that
you too will escape satan's rule and torment of your soul after you die.

Please do consider the OP as your logic should dictate before it is too
late:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

(Please note that God truly made this special link describing that He is
the great "I am" and that His message is as simple as the number 2 which
is a number between 1 to 9 and reminds us of His 2 commandments, the 2
arms of the cross, the 2nd part of the Trinity, the 2 finger sign of the
Prince of Peace [who remains *V*ictorious over death and satan], and the
2PD Approach. Let it not ever be written that Christ did not make His

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Sleepyman wrote:

> [...]

You will be in my prayers, dear neighbor whom I love, in Christ's holy
name.

May you accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, someday, so that
you too will escape satan's rule and torment of your soul after you die.

Please do consider the OP as your logic should dictate before it is too
late:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

(Please note that God truly made this special link describing that He is
the great "I am" and that His message is as simple as the number 2 which
is a number between 1 to 9 and reminds us of His 2 commandments, the 2
arms of the cross, the 2nd part of the Trinity, the 2 finger sign of the
Prince of Peace [who remains *V*ictorious over death and satan], and the
2PD Approach. Let it not ever be written that Christ did not make His

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Sleepyman wrote:

> [...]

You will be in my prayers, dear neighbor whom I love, in Christ's holy
name.

May you accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, someday, so that
you too will escape satan's rule and torment of your soul after you die.

Please do consider the OP as your logic should dictate before it is too
late:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

(Please note that God truly made this special link describing that He is
the great "I am" and that His message is as simple as the number 2 which
is a number between 1 to 9 and reminds us of His 2 commandments, the 2
arms of the cross, the 2nd part of the Trinity, the 2 finger sign of the
Prince of Peace [who remains *V*ictorious over death and satan], and the
2PD Approach. Let it not ever be written that Christ did not make His

PENMART01

>: "Ken Davey" is a ****ing asswipe.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>>> "Ken Davey" is a ****ing asswipe.

Could be true under certain circumstances.
Ken

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
>>> "Ken Davey" is a ****ing asswipe.

Could be true under certain circumstances.
Ken

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Michel Boucher

(1) Accept Christ.
Risk: Be assimilated into the Collective.

Benefits: Voices in your head, subspace links to the rest of the Borg.

(2) Reject Christ.
Risk: Nothing. No loving deity would ever demand servile behaviour
from its creation in a petulant tone...assuming there is such as
thingas a loving deity. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the
purpose of this argument.

Benefits: You won't be a drone for the rest of your life.

I love Star Trek analogies to moronic behaviour :-)

--

"It is easier for a rich man to enter heaven seated
comfortably on the back of a camel, than it is for

Supply Side Jesus

PENMART01

>"Mitch (FAGGOT BITCH) Dick-son"

Your 25¢ whore momma ****s donkeys.

Ken Davey

Julian9EHP wrote:
>> From: Michel Boucher

>> (1) Accept Christ.
>> Risk: Be assimilated into the Collective.

> You mean like Sojourner Truth, J.S. Bach, and St. Francis of Assisi?
>
>> Benefits: Voices in your head, subspace links to the rest of the
>> Borg.

> See above. Christians have eternal life. They also have life _now_.
>
>> (2) Reject Christ.
>> Risk: Nothing. No loving deity would ever demand servile behaviour
>> from its creation in a petulant tone...assuming there is such as
>> thingas a loving deity. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the
>> purpose of this argument.

> Risk: Not being attached to the Being who can grant eternal life --
> and, what's more, the only one who can grant life worth enjoying.
>
> Unlike the rest of us, God is enjoyable, any time. "What is the
> chief end of Man? To glorify God *and * enjoy * Him* forever."
>
>> Benefits: You won't be a drone for the rest of your life.

> [ . . . ]
>
> Those who truly follow God have good conditions and bad. There are
> Christians facing death now because of their belief. But they have
> much more happiness than those who deny Him. Why not be a hedonist?
>

> E. P.

Why not be a realist?
Does a God exist?
Prove it!
I think not.
A god is a natural invention of our specie. It was the easy way out.
Otherwise we would have to answer to our actions in this life.
By extention, we also had to invent an afterlife.
So we invent an external force that explains (in a myriad number of ways -
take your pick - can any one be right?) our faults and the way to overcome
them - all this based on reward/punishment - same as training a dog.
In actual fact this is not a bad idea. It gives those incapable of
independant thought or incapable of behavior acceptable to a close knit
society an anchor - a base line so to speak - of proper conduct, and it
gives the 'proper thinking people' the 'right' to punish transgressors.
Unfortunately mankind is never satisfied by something simple that works or
more correctly something that cannot be used to subjugate those less
fortunate or those who seem to have a natural (and obviously superior) way
of dealing with the naturally occurring restrictions that come with living
in a co-operating society.
Thus we find the correct religious forces of Europe destroying several
amazing civilizations in the Americas (The Conquistadores and the Jesuits to
name two such forces).
Thus we find Islam trying to prove (by whatever means possible - including
total annialation - sound familiar?) that 'their' way is the 'only' way.
Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.
Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that virtually
all religions tell us we must not!
Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction) of
anyone is a false religion!
By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall into
this catagory.
/> rant.
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Ken Davey

Julian9EHP wrote:
> [...]

of dealing with the naturally occurring restrictions that come with living
in a co-operating society.
Thus we find the correct religious forces of Europe destroying several
amazing civilizations in the Americas (The Conquistadores and the Jesuits to
name two such forces).
Thus we find Islam trying to prove (by whatever means possible - including
total annialation - sound familiar?) that 'their' way is the 'only' way.
Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.
Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that virtually
all religions tell us we must not!
Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction) of
anyone is a false religion!
By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall into

Julian9EHP

>From: "Ken Davey"

>Why not be a realist?
>Does a God exist?
>Prove it!

It is as impossible to prove God scientifically as it is to disprove God.
_You_ can't prove that God _does not_ exist.

I can give some exellent testimonies, including those of some important
scientists and statesmen. ;-)

>I think not.
>A god is a natural invention of our specie. It was the easy way out.

Except that some religions -- most notably many varieties of Buddhism -- do not
believe in a god.

Easy how? The four major religions of the Western World began in the long time
before anesthesia. Adversity tests faith.

>Otherwise we would have to answer to our actions in this life.

Except that many of those who most wished to improve _this_ life believed in an
afterlife.

>By extention, we also had to invent an afterlife.

Again, there are religions which do *not* believe in an afterlife. Ancient
Judaism seems to have thought the personality faded out after death.

You make too many assumptions.

>So we invent an external force that explains (in a myriad number of ways -
>take your pick - can any one be right?) our faults and the way to overcome
>them - all this based on reward/punishment - same as training a dog.

Again, there are faiths which have nothing to do with ethics. The Greco-Roman
pantheon seems to have taken a long path.

If you wish to persuade, you need better proofs.

>In actual fact this is not a bad idea. It gives those incapable of
>independant thought or incapable of behavior acceptable to a close knit
>society an anchor - a base line so to speak - of proper conduct, and it
>gives the 'proper thinking people' the 'right' to punish transgressors.

Except, again, that many of those who _were_ capable of independent thought
were most strongly adherent to those beliefs. John Bunyan was no conformist.
He, and other religious people, fought _against_ society and its supposed right
to punish transgressors.

>Unfortunately mankind is never satisfied by something simple that works or
>more correctly something that cannot be used to subjugate those less
>fortunate or those who seem to have a natural (and obviously superior) way
>of dealing with the naturally occurring restrictions that come with living
>in a co-operating society.

What was that sentence I saw you with last night? ;-)

>Thus we find the correct religious forces of Europe destroying several
>amazing civilizations in the Americas (The Conquistadores and the Jesuits to
>name two such forces).

And several native organizations -- including some of the Indian tribes
oppressed by the "amazing civilizations" -- joined with the conquerors in their
fight.

>Thus we find Islam trying to prove (by whatever means possible - including
>total annialation - sound familiar?) that 'their' way is the 'only' way.

Some Muslims have done so. Some Muslims have not. Is "religion" to be damned
for the bad and not commended for the good?

>Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.

.. . . See above.

>Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
>superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that virtually
>all religions tell us we must not!

"Thinking people" are religious, too. If you are ignorant of them, I'll post a
few of their names.

You seem to have some bigotry toward those who do not think as you do.

>Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction) of
>anyone is a false religion!

What of someone who allows people to destroy themselves? Is that evil, or
mercy?

>By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall into
>this catagory.

Again, you don't seem to have read much about religion.

>/> rant.
>Ken.

E. P.

Julian9EHP

> [...]

>Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.

.. . . See above.

>Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
>superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that virtually
>all religions tell us we must not!

"Thinking people" are religious, too. If you are ignorant of them, I'll post a
few of their names.

You seem to have some bigotry toward those who do not think as you do.

>Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction) of
>anyone is a false religion!

What of someone who allows people to destroy themselves? Is that evil, or
mercy?

>By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall into
>this catagory.

Again, you don't seem to have read much about religion.

E. P.
Bob (this one)

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> "Mitch Dickson" > wrote in message >...
>
>>So Doctor Andrew, where is it written:
>>
>>"What profieth a man for all his labor under the sun, if he don't get none?"
>>
>>Mitch

> From the mouths of trash people, comes trash! Without a single
> thought for the future after-life, the person spews venom against his
> creator. Who needs prayer more than this foolish soul???

<LOL> This is how the Mighty Chung refrains from judgement. "Trash
people" and "foolish soul" are judgements. Period. Just like he always
does while claiming he doesn't.

But poor wackjob Chung doesn't get it that Mitch is mocking him for
his fakery and humorlessness. Sad little guy seems to have forgotten
that The Preacher says, "Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no
better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be
merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his
life, which God giveth him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

He also forgets that his nastiness and malice will be noted: "For with
the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you
again." Luke 6:38

Bob
P.S. I trimmed out all the excess attributions that Chung couldn't
seem to when he got all aroused like this. Poor guy was in such a
hurry to reply that he left a lot of irrelevant stuff in there. But
what's new?

Bob (this one)

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

> "Mitch Dickson" > wrote in message >...
>
>>So Doctor Andrew, where is it written:
>>
>>"What profieth a man for all his labor under the sun, if he don't get none?"
>>
>>Mitch

> From the mouths of trash people, comes trash! Without a single
> thought for the future after-life, the person spews venom against his
> creator. Who needs prayer more than this foolish soul???

<LOL> This is how the Mighty Chung refrains from judgement. "Trash
people" and "foolish soul" are judgements. Period. Just like he always
does while claiming he doesn't.

But poor wackjob Chung doesn't get it that Mitch is mocking him for
his fakery and humorlessness. Sad little guy seems to have forgotten
that The Preacher says, "Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no
better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be
merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his
life, which God giveth him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

He also forgets that his nastiness and malice will be noted: "For with
the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you
again." Luke 6:38

Bob
P.S. I trimmed out all the excess attributions that Chung couldn't
seem to when he got all aroused like this. Poor guy was in such a
hurry to reply that he left a lot of irrelevant stuff in there. But
what's new?

Bob (this one)

Julian9EHP wrote:

> There are Christians facing death now because of their belief. But
> they have much more happiness than those who deny Him.

Really...? How can we offer some substantiation of that? A little bit
of some kind of proof.

> Why not be
> a hedonist?

Indeed. Ecclesiastes says to.

Bob

Bob (this one)

Julian9EHP wrote:

> There are Christians facing death now because of their belief. But
> they have much more happiness than those who deny Him.

Really...? How can we offer some substantiation of that? A little bit
of some kind of proof.

> Why not be
> a hedonist?

Indeed. Ecclesiastes says to.

Bob

Bob (this one)

Julian9EHP wrote:

>>From: "Ken Davey"

>>Why not be a realist?
>>Does a God exist?
>>Prove it!

> It is as impossible to prove God scientifically as it is to disprove God.
> _You_ can't prove that God _does not_ exist.
>
> I can give some exellent testimonies, including those of some important
> scientists and statesmen. ;-)

They can't offer proof, either. Their word counts no more than yours.

>>I think not.
>>A god is a natural invention of our specie. It was the easy way out.

> Except that some religions -- most notably many varieties of Buddhism -- do not
> believe in a god.

Huh? How does this disprove the assertion above, "A god is a natural
invention of our specie[s]."

> Easy how? The four major religions of the Western World began in the long time
> before anesthesia. Adversity tests faith.

Non sequitur.

>>Otherwise we would have to answer to our actions in this life.

> Except that many of those who most wished to improve _this_ life believed in an
> afterlife.

Still, no proof of anything.

>>By extention, we also had to invent an afterlife.

> Again, there are religions which do *not* believe in an afterlife. Ancient
> Judaism seems to have thought the personality faded out after death.
>
> You make too many assumptions.

And, still no proof.

>>So we invent an external force that explains (in a myriad number of ways -
>>take your pick - can any one be right?) our faults and the way to overcome
>>them - all this based on reward/punishment - same as training a dog.

> Again, there are faiths which have nothing to do with ethics. The Greco-Roman
> pantheon seems to have taken a long path.

Deities in those societies were cast in very different roles than
modern theology does. Are you asserting that the Spartans didn't have
a developed ethical code? That Greece wasn't the beginning source of
our modern ethical tenets?

> If you wish to persuade, you need better proofs.
>
>>In actual fact this is not a bad idea. It gives those incapable of
>>independant thought or incapable of behavior acceptable to a close knit
>>society an anchor - a base line so to speak - of proper conduct, and it
>>gives the 'proper thinking people' the 'right' to punish transgressors.

> Except, again, that many of those who _were_ capable of independent thought
> were most strongly adherent to those beliefs.

Nonsense.

> John Bunyan was no conformist.
> He, and other religious people, fought _against_ society and its supposed right
> to punish transgressors.

When there were no other explanations for the natural phenomena they
saw, faith was the major means to any sort of conclusion. Martin
Luther wasn't a conformist, either, but he, too, didn't prove
anything. None of them has.

>>Unfortunately mankind is never satisfied by something simple that works or
>>more correctly something that cannot be used to subjugate those less
>>fortunate or those who seem to have a natural (and obviously superior) way
>>of dealing with the naturally occurring restrictions that come with living
>>in a co-operating society.

> What was that sentence I saw you with last night? ;-)
>
>>Thus we find the correct religious forces of Europe destroying several
>>amazing civilizations in the Americas (The Conquistadores and the Jesuits to
>>name two such forces).

> And several native organizations -- including some of the Indian tribes
> oppressed by the "amazing civilizations" -- joined with the conquerors in their
> fight.

Come on...

This proves that Indians weren't opportunistic? Or that they couldn't
see which side their bread was buttered on? "If you can't beat 'em,
join 'em."

>>Thus we find Islam trying to prove (by whatever means possible - including
>>total annialation - sound familiar?) that 'their' way is the 'only' way.

> Some Muslims have done so. Some Muslims have not. Is "religion" to be damned
> for the bad and not commended for the good?

I think yes. The bad and the accompanying silence and inertia of the
"good" conspire to create a miasma of evil. The "good" not standing up
to the others creates a basis of suspicion for *everyone* who espouses
that religion.

>>Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.

> . . . See above.
>
>>Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
>>superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that virtually
>>all religions tell us we must not!

> "Thinking people" are religious, too. If you are ignorant of them, I'll post a
> few of their names.

Religious faith has it's roots in many conditions. Some healthy, some
perverse. The declaration of faith has no more substance than any
other without proof.

> You seem to have some bigotry toward those who do not think as you do.

Funny how the deeply religious are most like that. Have you been
reading the insanity from Chung?

>>Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction) of
>>anyone is a false religion!

> What of someone who allows people to destroy themselves? Is that evil, or
> mercy?

Ask the whole question and maybe an answer can be formulated.

>>By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall into
>>this catagory.

> Again, you don't seem to have read much about religion.

It's in the papers every day.

Julian9EHP

>From: "Bob (this one)"

[ . . . ]

>> It is as impossible to prove God scientifically as it is to disprove God.
>> _You_ can't prove that God _does not_ exist.
>>
>> I can give some exellent testimonies, including those of some important
>> scientists and statesmen. ;-)

>They can't offer proof, either. Their word counts no more than yours.

If testimony is nothing, you invalidate your own testimony that there is no
God.

>>>I think not.
>>>A god is a natural invention of our specie. It was the easy way out.

>> Except that some religions -- most notably many varieties of Buddhism -- do

>not
>> believe in a god.

>Huh? How does this disprove the assertion above, "A god is a natural
>invention of our specie[s]."

You offer no evidence that it is "natural" -- or what the word natural means.

"Our species" believes in gods, a God, or none. You were overgeneralizing.

>> Easy how? The four major religions of the Western World began in the long

>time
>> before anesthesia. Adversity tests faith.

>Non sequitur.

No. "In the past, we believed . . . but now we know . . . " Religious people
have faced the circumstances of life. Faith is not easy -- but then, life is
not easy.

>>>Otherwise we would have to answer to our actions in this life.

>> Except that many of those who most wished to improve _this_ life believed

>in an
>> afterlife.

>Still, no proof of anything.

Proof that your generalization is again wrong. Faith is not easy. Some faith
is true, but even the true faith is not easy.

>>>By extention, we also had to invent an afterlife.

>> Again, there are religions which do *not* believe in an afterlife. Ancient
>> Judaism seems to have thought the personality faded out after death.
>>
>> You make too many assumptions.

>And, still no proof.

Proof that your assumptions about the ground of faith are wrong. I have not
sought here to prove anything else. And you are proved false.

>>>So we invent an external force that explains (in a myriad number of ways -
>>>take your pick - can any one be right?) our faults and the way to overcome
>>>them - all this based on reward/punishment - same as training a dog.

>> Again, there are faiths which have nothing to do with ethics. The

>Greco-Roman
>> pantheon seems to have taken a long path.

>Deities in those societies were cast in very different roles than
>modern theology does. Are you asserting that the Spartans didn't have
>a developed ethical code? That Greece wasn't the beginning source of
>our modern ethical tenets?

No. I was asserting that the gods of the Illiad and the Odyssey were not
ethical. And it _is_ a long path between the early position and the Spartans,
and the Athenian statement that "Father Zeus does not like oath-breakers."

>> If you wish to persuade, you need better proofs.
>>
>>>In actual fact this is not a bad idea. It gives those incapable of
>>>independant thought or incapable of behavior acceptable to a close knit
>>>society an anchor - a base line so to speak - of proper conduct, and it
>>>gives the 'proper thinking people' the 'right' to punish transgressors.

>> Except, again, that many of those who _were_ capable of independent thought
>> were most strongly adherent to those beliefs.

>Nonsense.

It is so. Zwingli and the Diggers and Dr. King and . . . again and again, some
of the strongest protesters against Things As They Are are also religious. If
you like, you can take on the words of the early feminist, Christine de Pisan,
and say that it is not right to offend people while we challenge them. But it
is more than that. These people are devout.

> > John Bunyan was no conformist.
>> He, and other religious people, fought _against_ society and its supposed

>right
>> to punish transgressors.

>When there were no other explanations for the natural phenomena they
>saw, faith was the major means to any sort of conclusion. Martin
>Luther wasn't a conformist, either, but he, too, didn't prove
>anything. None of them has.

They prove that your assumptions about religion are false. I have not sought
to prove more.

>>>Unfortunately mankind is never satisfied by something simple that works or
>>>more correctly something that cannot be used to subjugate those less
>>>fortunate or those who seem to have a natural (and obviously

>superior) way
>>>of dealing with the naturally occurring restrictions that come with living
>>>in a co-operating society.

>> What was that sentence I saw you with last night? ;-)

>>>Thus we find the correct religious forces of Europe destroying several
>>>amazing civilizations in the Americas (The Conquistadores and the Jesuits

>>>name two such forces).

>> And several native organizations -- including some of the Indian tribes
>> oppressed by the "amazing civilizations" -- joined with the conquerors in

>their
>> fight.

>Come on...

>This proves that Indians weren't opportunistic? Or that they couldn't
>see which side their bread was buttered on? "If you can't beat 'em,
>join 'em."

"The amazing civilizations" practiced blood-letting, imperialism, rule by
terror. The Inca strangled child sacrifices: the Aztec practiced cannibalism.
It's a safe assumption that the subject peoples did not like these things. The
"evil invaders vs. good natives" breaks down upon closer inspection.

>>>Thus we find Islam trying to prove (by whatever means possible - including
>>>total annialation - sound familiar?) that 'their' way is the 'only' way.

>> Some Muslims have done so. Some Muslims have not. Is "religion" to be

>damned
>> for the bad and not commended for the good?

>I think yes. The bad and the accompanying silence and inertia of the
>"good" conspire to create a miasma of evil. The "good" not standing up
>to the others creates a basis of suspicion for *everyone* who espouses
> that religion.

Except that the good (no quote marks) _does_ stand up to the evil. St. Francis
protested the crusades: so did many others. Dr. King led the march to Selma.
That some of these protests did not end the abuses does not mean that they were
worthless. A woman in Iran preaches that Islam is and should be feminst. A
woman in America writes a book against slavery.
And some people lead their lives in peace and quiet, thus quietly refuting
evil. I know a minster who had been the child of an alcoholic, and had
undergone violence in childhood. Once he was so angry and frustrated that he
went over to a parishoner and, with her permission, threw her china against the
wall. Yet he was a good pastor, gentle toward his people. His church was
strong and good. I think you ascribe too much evil to faith.

>>>Thus we find the Jews wreaking havoc in the middle east.

>> . . . See above.

>>>Until we, as a thinking people, dump this outdated and patently
>>>superstitious idea of god we are doomed to do the exact thing that

>virtually
>>>all religions tell us we must not!

>> "Thinking people" are religious, too. If you are ignorant of them, I'll

>post a
>> few of their names.

>Religious faith has it's roots in many conditions. Some healthy, some
>perverse. The declaration of faith has no more substance than any
>other without proof.

Your original statement _was_ overgeneralization. The declaration of faith
among thinking people proves that thought does not necessarily kill faith.

>> You seem to have some bigotry toward those who do not think as you do.

>Funny how the deeply religious are most like that. Have you been
>reading the insanity from Chung?

I don't read Chung. I _do_ read you. Yes, your post is bigoted. "No faith is
good" is such a sweeping generalization. Let's see . . . Would you be willing
to assert that an atheistic faith is good -- such as with some Buddhists, or
the Ethical Culture? Would you say that good people have a good faith, and bad
people have a bad faith? Or you could stand with such Anglicans as Lancelot
Andrewes, who said that good people can be saved, even from a bad sect.

>>>Any religion that allows for the destruction (through action or inaction)

>of
>>>anyone is a false religion!

>> What of someone who allows people to destroy themselves? Is that evil, or
>> mercy?

>Ask the whole question and maybe an answer can be formulated.

A person says, "I want to die. I want to be damned." Is it evil to allow
this, or is it an allowance of the individual's free will?

>>>By that definition there are no (mainstream) religions that do not fall

>into
>>>this catagory.

>> Again, you don't seem to have read much about religion.

>It's in the papers every day.

Ah! There's the problem. You wouldn't take your stand on science or art from
what's in the papers. With art, you'd go to galleries, talk to artists and
look at their work. You'd even go to Kenneth Clark -- and to learn to
differentiate him from Joe Shmoe. In the same way, you should read more deeply
about religion, and learn from those who you think are good and true.

E. P.
Bob (this one)

Julian9EHP wrote:

>> From: "Bob (this one)"

>>> It is as impossible to prove God scientifically as it is to
>>> disprove God. _You_ can't prove that God _does not_ exist.
>>>
>>> I can give some exellent testimonies, including those of some
>>> important scientists and statesmen. ;-)

>> They can't offer proof, either. Their word counts no more than
>> yours.

> If testimony is nothing, you invalidate your own testimony that
> there is no God.

Do us both a favor and try to keep the attributions correct. The way
you've trimmed all this means that it's no longer possible to
separate who said what. You have mistakenly assumed that it was I
who said things that previous posters offered.

Nowhere have I said or implied that I think there's no God. What I
have said is that there's no proof. I'm not offering "testimony," I
made a simple, unarguable statement of logic. You're using the
vocabulary of the church. I'm not.

>>> Except that some religions -- most notably many varieties of
>>> Buddhism -- do not believe in a god.

>> Huh? How does this disprove the assertion above, "A god is a
>> natural invention of our specie[s]."

> You offer no evidence that it is "natural" -- or what the word
> natural means.

Agreed. The thought behind its naturalness as expressed by the prior
poster seems to be that most societies have some sort of supernatural
observers/creators/guides. The fact of its widespread presence would
seem to say it's part of our human psyche to try to explain
*everything*. And when we can't, we create *something* to offer a way
to try to remove some of the terror of the unknown.

> "Our species" believes in gods, a God, or none. You were
> overgeneralizing.

No, I wasn't. That some believe differently doesn't mean that they
aren't all inventions.

>>> Easy how? The four major religions of the Western World began
>>> in the long time before anesthesia. Adversity tests faith.

>> Non sequitur.

> No. "In the past, we believed . . . but now we know . . . "
> Religious people have faced the circumstances of life. Faith is
> not easy -- but then, life is not easy.

Faith hasn't demonstrated any pro-survival characteristics. It is
predicated on the unknowable. As for that "in the past..." business, I
can only look to history to state that most of our treasured "truth"
will be found to be wanting, just as those old ones have.

>>> Except that many of those who most wished to improve _this_
>>> life believed in an afterlife.

>> Still, no proof of anything.

> Proof that your generalization is again wrong. Faith is not easy.
> Some faith is true, but even the true faith is not easy.

Whether faith is easy or not is no proof of any sort of validity. As
for whether it's true or not, that's unknowable. No proof. It can be
argued that faith isn't logic-dependent, and there is a good series of
arguments that can be made for that posture. But the final tally is
that faith - yours and mine - is utterly subjective with no external
support.

>>> Again, there are religions which do *not* believe in an
>>> afterlife. Ancient Judaism seems to have thought the
>>> personality faded out after death.
>>>
>>> You make too many assumptions.

>> And, still no proof.

> Proof that your assumptions about the ground of faith are wrong. I
> have not sought here to prove anything else. And you are proved
> false.

Sorry. No. My assumptions about faith are that it's individual,
unprovable and apart from any logic. Anything else is your invention
of what I'm saying.

>>> Again, there are faiths which have nothing to do with ethics.
>>> The Greco-Roman pantheon seems to have taken a long path.

>> Deities in those societies were cast in very different roles than
>> modern theology does. Are you asserting that the Spartans didn't
>> have a developed ethical code? That Greece wasn't the beginning
>> source of our modern ethical tenets?

> No. I was asserting that the gods of the Illiad and the Odyssey
> were not ethical.

Gods are not ethical by definition. In the bible, there are numerous
tales about God killing and causing suffering and torturing (if you
love me, kill your child). Gods make the rules for mortals to live by,
but that doesn't bind them to observe them for themselves.

> And it _is_ a long path between the early position and the
> Spartans, and the Athenian statement that "Father Zeus does not
> like oath-breakers."

It's a long path irrespective of the belief set from the tales to the
rules.

>>> Except, again, that many of those who _were_ capable of
>>> independent thought were most strongly adherent to those
>>> beliefs.

>> Nonsense.

> It is so. Zwingli and the Diggers and Dr. King and . . . again and
> again, some of the strongest protesters against Things As They Are
> are also religious. If you like, you can take on the words of the
> early feminist, Christine de Pisan, and say that it is not right
> to offend people while we challenge them. But it is more than
> that. These people are devout.

You miss the point. They're protesting the things they are because
they're devout. The ethical and moral teachings they learned formed
their characters and the way they look at the daily issues. They
protest against those things that their faith tells them are wrong.
Every culture has those same notions, it's just the specific issues
that vary. De pisan seems to contradict the behavior of Jesus when he
drove the money-changers from the temple.

Cannibals are puzzled when told that it's wrong to eat other people.
They "know" that it's a good thing. Because when you eat the heart of
a brave warrior, some of that bravery comes into your flesh, they
believe. Both the "it's bad" and the "It's good" factions have to rely
on faith for these views because there's no absolute standard that
works for all people in all situations.

>>> John Bunyan was no conformist. He, and other religious people,
>>> fought _against_ society and its supposed right to punish
>>> transgressors.

>> When there were no other explanations for the natural phenomena
>> they saw, faith was the major means to any sort of conclusion.
>> Martin Luther wasn't a conformist, either, but he, too, didn't
>> prove anything. None of them has.

> They prove that your assumptions about religion are false. I have
> not sought to prove more.

Which assumptions of mine have you proved wrong? That there's no proof
for the existence of God? That the way we look at the matters of faith
are likewise unprovable? That morality is a subjective, culturally
dependent issue? That religious thought is absolutely shaped by the
culture it's found in? I think not.

Can't really call the conquistadors a religious group. They certainly
cloaked everything in religious imagery, but they came for the gold.

>>> And several native organizations -- including some of the
>>> Indian tribes oppressed by the "amazing civilizations" --
>>> joined with the conquerors in their fight.

>> Come on...

>> This proves that Indians weren't opportunistic? Or that they
>> couldn't see which side their bread was buttered on? "If you
>> can't beat 'em, join 'em."

> "The amazing civilizations" practiced blood-letting, imperialism,
> rule by terror. The Inca strangled child sacrifices: the Aztec
> practiced cannibalism. It's a safe assumption that the subject
> peoples did not like these things. The "evil invaders vs. good
> natives" breaks down upon closer inspection.

Sorry. No. The things you list are evil *in your eyes* You can't
seriously be contrasting the new world Indian colonialism with
European colonialism and saying the Indians were worse. Rule by
terror, you seem to be saying, is a new world phenomenon. As for
blood-letting, what had been happening in Europe and in the crusades
stands as an exemplar of the process.

Humans don't have a good record for humane behavior and ethical
actions. None of them. No matter what society we're talking about.
They have all had civil authorities to punish transgressions according
to their values. Look at the Code of Hammurabi. Draconian by our
standards today. The fact remains that through all history and likely
well before it was any way recorded, people have acted selfishly and
brutally. The Europeans who colonized the Americas and the rest of the
world have not much to be proud about.

Those same Incas and Aztecs had a rather developed technology, strong
communications links across thousands of miles, sophisticated plant
and animal husbandry skills, good architectural examples. Those
destructive Europeans had well-developed art and music, architecture,
literature, mathematics, etc.

>>> Some Muslims have done so. Some Muslims have not. Is
>>> "religion" to be damned for the bad and not commended for the
>>> good?

>> I think yes. The bad and the accompanying silence and inertia of
>> the "good" conspire to create a miasma of evil. The "good" not
>> standing up to the others creates a basis of suspicion for
>> *everyone* who espouses that religion.

> Except that the good (no quote marks) _does_ stand up to the evil.
> St. Francis protested the crusades: so did many others. Dr. King
> led the march to Selma. That some of these protests did not end the
> abuses does not mean that they were worthless. A woman in Iran
> preaches that Islam is and should be feminst. A woman in America
> writes a book against slavery. And some people lead their lives in
> peace and quiet, thus quietly refuting evil. I know a minster who
> had been the child of an alcoholic, and had undergone violence in
> childhood. Once he was so angry and frustrated that he went over
> to a parishoner and, with her permission, threw her china against
> the wall. Yet he was a good pastor, gentle toward his people. His
> church was strong and good. I think you ascribe too much evil to
> faith.

I ascribe *no* evil to faith. I simply observe that the faithful don't
have any better record of advancing ethical and moral presence in
society than anyone else. Living a peaceful life doesn't refute evil,
it merely avoids it. Another way of saying we're all sinners is to say
we never do anything that doesn't return us some good. Never. Even if
it's just the good feeling of having done something good by our
respective standards.

>> Religious faith has it's roots in many conditions. Some healthy,
>> some perverse. The declaration of faith has no more substance
>> than any other without proof.

> Your original statement _was_ overgeneralization. The declaration
> of faith among thinking people proves that thought does not
> necessarily kill faith.

No one has said it does. The analysts who see the universe as
mechanistic aren't likely to be people of faith. Those to whom the
"rational" explanations aren't satisfying will likely be. No one is
completely either one.

>>> You seem to have some bigotry toward those who do not think as
>>> you do.

>> Funny how the deeply religious are most like that. Have you been
>> reading the insanity from Chung?

> I don't read Chung. I _do_ read you. Yes, your post is bigoted.
> "No faith is good" is such a sweeping generalization. Let's see .

I've never said that. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

> . . Would you be willing to assert that an atheistic faith is good
> -- such as with some Buddhists, or the Ethical Culture? Would you
> say that good people have a good faith, and bad people have a bad
> faith? Or you could stand with such Anglicans as Lancelot
> Andrewes, who said that good people can be saved, even from a bad
> sect.

None of the above. Do make a distinction between believing something
and ascribing faith to it. In this context, "faith" means an organized
body of spiritual beliefs, a religion. Atheists have nothing like
that. They say that there's no God. That ends the process right there.
No further organized set of ethical or moral beliefs proceeds from
that. Any person's faith is meaningless to anyone else except as how
it guides people to behave in thoughtful fashion.

>>> What of someone who allows people to destroy themselves? Is
>>> that evil, or mercy?

>> Ask the whole question and maybe an answer can be formulated.

> A person says, "I want to die. I want to be damned." Is it evil
> to allow this, or is it an allowance of the individual's free will?

Puhleeze. Why don't you load it up a little more? A person wants to
die? It's that person's choice and if the notion of free will means
anything, it must stand. As for wanting to be damned, how silly a
thing to try to introduce to muddy the issue. But the basic answer
remains. The person makes a choice, so be it.

>>> Again, you don't seem to have read much about religion.

>> It's in the papers every day.

> Ah! There's the problem.

It was a slightly sarcastic comment. The fact is that I've spent more
than a dozen years in formal religious educational and even
considered becoming a member of the clergy. I've since read most of
the sacred texts of the major religions of the world.

> You wouldn't take your stand on science or art from what's in the
> papers. With art, you'd go to galleries, talk to artists and look
> at their work.

I am an artist (with a good scientific background). I used to operate
restaurants, and if you don't think preparing and serving food is
essentially art, you don't get it. I write for a living now and also
do media work in radio and tv. I have a rather large sculpture in a
gallery right now, along with some fanciful packaged foods I make that
I put into unusual containers. I've visited many of the great museums
of the world and studied art as both undergraduate and graduate student.

> You'd even go to Kenneth Clark -- and to learn to
> differentiate him from Joe Shmoe.

I've read Clark's work. I find him to be a bit crusty for my tastes.
His too-strong opinions and rather self-satisfied pronouncements put
me off him. There are others I like, though.

> In the same way, you should read
> more deeply about religion, and learn from those who you think are
> good and true.

I think there are many good and true people of faith. It's the ones
who think they have an exclusive grasp on what it's about that I can't
abide. I have small patience for the close-minded and the dogmatic.
The arbitrary and the exclusive. The ones who believe they have a "get
out of hell free" card. The ones who know how I should live.

Pastorio

Julian9EHP

>From: "Bob (this one)"

>Julian9EHP wrote:
>
>>> From: "Bob (this one)"

>>> They can't offer proof, either. Their word counts no more than
>>> yours.

>> If testimony is nothing, you invalidate your own testimony that
>> there is no God.

>Do us both a favor and try to keep the attributions correct. The way
>you've trimmed all this means that it's no longer possible to
>separate who said what. You have mistakenly assumed that it was I
>who said things that previous posters offered.

No. As you see above, I have kept attributions.

>Nowhere have I said or implied that I think there's no God. What I
>have said is that there's no proof.
>I'm not offering "testimony," I
>made a simple, unarguable statement of logic. You're using the
>vocabulary of the church. I'm not.

Which church?

I am the one using logic. If you say that testimony offers no proof, you
invalidate your own testimony.

>>> Huh? How does this disprove the assertion above, "A god is a
>>> natural invention of our specie[s]."

>> You offer no evidence that it is "natural" -- or what the word
>> natural means.

>Agreed. The thought behind its naturalness as expressed by the prior
>poster seems to be that most societies have some sort of supernatural
>observers/creators/guides. The
>fact of its widespread presence would
>seem to say it's part of our human psyche to try to explain
>*everything*.

How would "widespread presence" explain the reason for gods coming into being?

You're overgeneralizing! In fact, creation stories are relatively unimportant
to some religions. In Greek mythology, the earth is (somehow) created long
before even the Titans take their place, much less the gods. In one American
Indian mythology, people emerge from a successon of holes, finally arriving on
the surface of the Earth. The Earth's own creation is never explained. In the
Norse stories, creation begins with a cow licking a giant into being from the
ice.

> And when we can't, we create *something* to offer a way
>to try to remove some of the terror of the unknown.

You seem to believe religion = something that removes the terror of the
unknown. Again, that is too simple. Again, look at the religions themselves!
The story of Baldur, the pleading of God in the Koran, the romance of Krishna,
are not simple "this is why it happens" stories.

>> "Our species" believes in gods, a God, or none. You were
>> overgeneralizing.

>No, I wasn't. That some believe differently doesn't mean that they
>aren't all inventions.

It means that gods aren't "natural," whatever you mean by that. (Do you mean
"inevitable"?) Faith in something may or may not come.

>>> Non sequitur.

>> No. "In the past, we believed . . . but now we know . . . "
>> Religious people have faced the circumstances of life. Faith is
>> not easy -- but then, life is not easy.

>Faith hasn't demonstrated any pro-survival characteristics. It is
>predicated on the unknowable.

Pooh! Are "pro-survival characteristics" your criterion for validity?

(I would argue that survival is not the *sole* criterion for quality of life.
As a better person has written: if the human race could evolve to live without
any of the so-called finer qualities -- altruism, justice, mercy -- should it?
If yes, why? If no, why not?)

As for that "in the past..." business, I
>can only look to history to state that
>most of our treasured "truth"
>will be found to be wanting, just as those old ones have.

Here I speak from my own faith. Unfortunately, the story of Cain and Abel has
never been invalidated. Men still kill their brothers, with as little reason.
Today our minister alluded to the word of Jesus -- "I come as a thief in the
night" -- and mentioned a break-in in his own household. In other words, in
spite of inventions and alleviation, human life, the life of faith, remains the
same.

>>> Still, no proof of anything.

>> Proof that your generalization is again wrong. Faith is not easy.
>> Some faith is true, but even the true faith is not easy.

>Whether faith is easy or not is no proof of any sort of validity.

It is proof against the assertion that faith is easier than doubt. As you
noticed, I claim the same thing that I claimed above. If you want scientific
proof, you can't get it from faith. (You can't get it from history, as you
claim above. David Hume wrote that miracles were unrepeatable, but admitted
that so is history.)

>It can be
>argued that faith isn't logic-dependent, and there is a good series of
>arguments that can be made for that posture. But the final tally is
>that faith - yours and mine - is utterly subjective with no external
>support.

When did I claim otherwise? You have my words above.

>>> And, still no proof.

>> Proof that your assumptions about the ground of faith are wrong. I
>> have not sought here to prove anything else. And you are proved
>> false.

>Sorry. No. My assumptions about faith are that it's individual,
>unprovable and apart from any logic. Anything else is your invention
>of what I'm saying.

I don't believe faith is separate from logic.
It's an old Christian tradition that God is very logical.

>>> Deities in those societies were cast in very different roles than
>>> modern theology does. Are you asserting that the Spartans didn't
>>> have a developed ethical code? That Greece wasn't the beginning
>>> source of our modern ethical tenets?

>> No. I was asserting that the gods of the Illiad and the Odyssey
>> were not ethical.

>Gods are not ethical by definition. In the bible, there are numerous
>tales about God killing and causing suffering and torturing (if you
>love me, kill your child).

Be precise. Are you now referring to the Abraham story? In fact, God was
giving the faith that stand still _in spite of_ circumstances, that forbids
giving a son. The answer to, "Shall I kill my child?" is precisely, "Don't be
silly. God forbade Abraham to kill his child."

Abraham came from a city of human sacrifice. To him, that must have sounded
like the old gods, back again. It takes just the obedience that Abraham showed
God in order to obliterate human sacrifice forever.

>Gods make the rules for mortals to live by,
>but that doesn't bind them to observe them for themselves.

Even in even the most primative mythology -- whatever that is -- there are
stories of gods obeying their own laws. Cupid fell in love with mortal Psyche.
Thor lost against the giant Time.

>> And it _is_ a long path between the early position and the
>> Spartans, and the Athenian statement that "Father Zeus does not
>> like oath-breakers."

>It's a long path irrespective of the belief set from the tales to the
>rules.

Que?

>>> Nonsense.

>> It is so. Zwingli and the Diggers and Dr. King and . . . again and
>> again, some of the strongest protesters against Things As They Are
>> are also religious. If you like, you can take on the words of the
>> early feminist, Christine de Pisan, and say that it is not right
>> to offend people while we challenge them. But it is more than
>> that. These people are devout.

>You miss the point. They're protesting the things they are because
>they're devout. The ethical and moral teachings they learned formed
>their characters and the way they look at the daily issues. They
>protest against those things that their faith tells them are wrong.

You're missing the point. They act _through their faith_, not in spite of it.

>Every culture has those same notions, it's just the specific issues
>that vary.

Overgeneralization again: not _every_ culture. The Anabaptists faced strong
opposition when they first asserted that Church and State ought to be
independant.

De pisan seems to contradict the behavior of Jesus when he
>drove the money-changers from the temple.

"And into whatsoever city or town ye shall enter, inquire who in it is worthy;
and there abide till ye go thence." Take on the color of the one who others
call worthy.

>Cannibals are puzzled when told that it's wrong to eat other people.
>They "know" that it's a good thing. Because when you eat the heart of
>a brave warrior, some of that bravery comes into your flesh, they
>believe.

So much for your "all cultures have the same notions" idea. In fact,
cannibalism among the Aztec seems to have been a sign of absolute subjection.
I take power over you: I eat you.

Both the "it's bad" and the "It's good" factions have to rely
>on faith for these views because there's no absolute standard that
>works for all people in all situations.

You're contradicting yourself here.

>>> When there were no other explanations for the natural phenomena
>>> they saw, faith was the major means to any sort of conclusion.
>>> Martin Luther wasn't a conformist, either, but he, too, didn't
>>> prove anything. None of them has.

>> They prove that your assumptions about religion are false. I have
>> not sought to prove more.

>Which assumptions of mine have you proved wrong? That there's no proof
>for the existence of God?

Funny, that's my assertion, too. But you seem to believe there is disproof.

That the way we look at the matters of faith
>are likewise unprovable?

That morality is a subjective, culturally
>dependent issue?

The subject peoples moved against the Aztec. Sojourner Truth preached against
slavery and sexism -- and people listened.
Religion is something different, and more, than culture.

That religious thought is absolutely shaped by the
>culture it's found in? I think not.

Then from whence came the Grecco-Roman movement to ethics within religion?
From whence the preaching of Mohammed's daughters? No, religious thought is
not _absolutely_ shaped by culture.

>Can't really call the conquistadors a religious group. They certainly
>cloaked everything in religious imagery, but they came for the gold.

Don't phone me! *I* didn't write this.

>>> Come on...

>>> This proves that Indians weren't opportunistic? Or that they
>>> couldn't see which side their bread was buttered on? "If you
>>> can't beat 'em, join 'em."

>> "The amazing civilizations" practiced blood-letting, imperialism,
>> rule by terror. The Inca strangled child sacrifices: the Aztec
>> practiced cannibalism. It's a safe assumption that the subject
>> peoples did not like these things. The "evil invaders vs. good
>> natives" breaks down upon closer inspection.

>Sorry. No. The things you list are evil *in your eyes*

They were evil in the eyes of the peoples who revolted against them.

You can't
>seriously be contrasting the new world Indian colonialism with
>European colonialism and saying the Indians were worse.

I can't say it was worse or better for me. I wasn't there. I don't believe
the people wanted cannibalism.

Rule by
>terror, you seem to be saying, is a new world phenomenon.

It occured in the New World, yes.

As for
>blood-letting, what had been happening in Europe and in the crusades
>stands as an exemplar of the process.

And therefore . . . what? There was also bloodletting and imperialism in the
New World. Many of the subject natives there decided to revolt against their
native overlords.

>Humans don't have a good record for humane behavior and ethical
>actions. None of them. No matter what society we're talking about.

Some religions agree with you, my branch among them. Others do not.

>They have all had civil authorities to punish transgressions according
>to their values. Look at the Code of Hammurabi. Draconian by our
>standards today. The fact remains that through all history and likely
>well before it was any way recorded, people have acted selfishly and
>brutally. The Europeans who colonized the Americas and the rest of the
>world have not much to be proud about.

And yet they were not unique.

>Those same Incas and Aztecs had a rather developed technology, strong
>communications links across thousands of miles, sophisticated plant
>and animal husbandry skills, good architectural examples. Those
>destructive Europeans had well-developed art and music, architecture,
>literature, mathematics, etc.

Yes, and . . . ? As I wrote, It is not "bad Europeans" against "good
natives."

>>> I think yes. The bad and the accompanying silence and inertia of
>>> the "good" conspire to create a miasma of evil. The "good" not
>>> standing up to the others creates a basis of suspicion for
>>> *everyone* who espouses that religion.

>> Except that the good (no quote marks) _does_ stand up to the evil.
>> St. Francis protested the crusades: so did many others. Dr. King
>> led the march to Selma. That some of these protests did not end the
>> abuses does not mean that they were worthless. A woman in Iran
>> preaches that Islam is and should be feminst. A woman in America
>> writes a book against slavery. And some people lead their lives in
>> peace and quiet, thus quietly refuting evil. I know a minster who
>> had been the child of an alcoholic, and had undergone violence in
>> childhood. Once he was so angry and frustrated that he went over
>> to a parishoner and, with her permission, threw her china against
>> the wall. Yet he was a good pastor, gentle toward his people. His
>> church was strong and good. I think you ascribe too much evil to
>> faith.

>I ascribe *no* evil to faith.

The one who said that "all faith is bad" is ascribing evil to faith.

I simply observe that the faithful don't
>have any better record of advancing ethical and moral presence in
>society than anyone else. Living a peaceful life doesn't refute evil,
>it merely avoids it.

1.) You disagree with many people, from Aristotle through to Dr. King.
2.) Living a peaceful life at the very least deprives those social mechanisms
which enable evil. When combined with activism it is dynamic. When it is not,
it is at the least powerful.

Another way of saying we're all sinners is to say
>we never do anything that doesn't return us some good. Never. Even if
>it's just the good feeling of having done something good by our
>respective standards.

And yet there is much activity which *is* good and yet does not do *us* good.
Witness the almsgiving of Tolstoy.

>>> Religious faith has it's roots in many conditions. Some healthy,
>>> some perverse. The declaration of faith has no more substance
>>> than any other without proof.

>> Your original statement _was_ overgeneralization. The declaration
>> of faith among thinking people proves that thought does not
>> necessarily kill faith.

>No one has said it does.

Actually, somebody did, in my original post.

(I just looked up the post of Date: 2004-11-28 05:31:20 PST. You seem to have
taken out _a lot_, without attribution. I don't mind much my deathless prose
being cut away, but you ought at least to have indicated where you cut.
Perhaps an elipsis, as where I cut your post below.)

[ . . . ]

>>> Funny how the deeply religious are most like that. Have you been
>>> reading the insanity from Chung?

>> I don't read Chung. I _do_ read you. Yes, your post is bigoted.
>> "No faith is good" is such a sweeping generalization. Let's see .

>I've never said that. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Again, see the post above.

>> . . Would you be willing to assert that an atheistic faith is good
>> -- such as with some Buddhists, or the Ethical Culture? Would you
>> say that good people have a good faith, and bad people have a bad
>> faith? Or you could stand with such Anglicans as Lancelot
>> Andrewes, who said that good people can be saved, even from a bad
>> sect.

>None of the above. Do make a distinction between believing something
>and ascribing faith to it. In this context, "faith" means an organized
>body of spiritual beliefs, a religion. Atheists have nothing like
>that.

Atheists have faith, too! Atheism is the assertion that there is no god.
That's all. As such, there are likely to be atheists in many faiths, such as
Unitarian Universalists (but not all of these), and even in the Anglicans.

They say that there's no God. That ends the process right there.
>No further organized set of ethical or moral beliefs proceeds from
>that. Any person's faith is meaningless to anyone else except as how
>it guides people to behave in thoughtful fashion.

Which doesn't explain faith any more than any other of the above explanations.
In a world where the new Druids started as an attempt to get around a college
regulation (citing Margot Adler), faith can be anything and everything.

>>> Ask the whole question and maybe an answer can be formulated.

>> A person says, "I want to die. I want to be damned." Is it evil
>> to allow this, or is it an allowance of the individual's free will?
>>

>Puhleeze. Why don't you load it up a little more? A person wants to
>die? It's that person's choice and if the notion of free will means
>anything, it must stand. As for wanting to be damned, how silly a
>thing to try to introduce to muddy the issue. But the basic answer
>remains. The person makes a choice, so be it.

It is not silly. I worked, in the past, taking care of Black children. I'm
quoting an online corrispondent: "I'd rather be in Hell than be in Heaven with
a Black." The original word in the quote wasn't "Black." People say, "I'd
rather die" or "I'd rather go to Hell" than be with (circle one) a
Fundamentalist, a Catholic/Protestant/Jew, White Trash, Someone Who Did That
Awful Thing. I say to my sorrow, people sometimes do kill for just that
reason.

>>> It's in the papers every day.

>> Ah! There's the problem.

>It was a slightly sarcastic comment. The fact is that I've spent more
>than a dozen years in formal religious educational and even
>considered becoming a member of the clergy. I've since read most of
>the sacred texts of the major religions of the world.

And therefore you assumed I was writing seriously? But then, they *do* write
poorly of faith.

>> You wouldn't take your stand on science or art from what's in the
>> papers. With art, you'd go to galleries, talk to artists and look
>> at their work.

>I am an artist (with a good scientific background).

So's my mother. Honest! (At least, she's a painter; she's done both portraits
and still-lifes. She'd object if I used the term "artist.")

I used to operate
>restaurants, and if you don't think preparing and serving food is
>essentially art, you don't get it.

:-( It can also be something else. I've read Orwell's _Down and Out_.

I write for a living now and also
>do media work in radio and tv. I have a rather large sculpture in a
>gallery right now, along with some fanciful packaged foods I make that
>I put into unusual containers. I've visited many of the great museums
>of the world and studied art as both undergraduate and graduate student.
>
>> You'd even go to Kenneth Clark -- and to learn to
>> differentiate him from Joe Shmoe.

>I've read Clark's work. I find him to be a bit crusty for my tastes.
>His too-strong opinions and rather self-satisfied pronouncements put
>me off him. There are others I like, though.
>
> > In the same way, you should read
>> more deeply about religion, and learn from those who you think are
>> good and true.

>I think there are many good and true people of faith. It's the ones
>who think they have an exclusive grasp on what it's about that I can't
>abide. I have small patience for the close-minded and the dogmatic.
>The arbitrary and the exclusive. The ones who believe they have a "get
>out of hell free" card. The ones who know how I should live.
>
>Pastorio

Yet some dogmatism is good. Remember what happened to the City on the Sand.
Or remember the James family, whose father wanted to keep them from being
provincial.

E. P.
zuuum

LOL.... the only thing remotely related to cooking about this thread I can
think of is.... "turn or burn"

But, having studied the Bible for many years, I guess I will drop my tidbit
into the pot. How to become a Christian version 1.01 or How to become a
Paulinist?

How a religion and its *additional* doctrines sprouted from one who was
exactly the class he warned about, (Saul of Tarsus, a Pharisee, called
"Paul") is beyond me---whether he claimed a divine commision or not.

"How is it you did not understand that I did not refer to bread when I told
you to beware of the leaven of Pharisees and Sudducees."

Who is one following, anyway? And who do they exalt? One "sent" is not
greater than the one who sent them. Or are they?